Greek vs plain yoghurt

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Hi I started the diet yesterday but wondered this morning whether it was okay to have plain Greek yoghurt instead of ordinary plain yoghurt. I thought it would be okay but I’ve just looked and it says 100g contains 5.4g of sugars which as it is plain with nothing added I was quite shocked at.

• posted by brrrrr
    on

God I hope its ok, I have been eating Greek yoghurt he entire time!!

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Many natural products contain sugars, in this case in the form of lactose from milk. If it is described as plain Greek yog then sugars wouldn’t be from added sugar. Greek is often recommended over normal yog as it has a relatively higher protein and fat content to sugar content, so fills you up, and is tasty. To get it thick and creamy much of the watery content – whey – is strained out, hence more concentrated protein content etc. With supermarket Greek style yog they often add thickeners rather than use the trad process.

A real expert may be along soon.

• posted by Kathy54
    on

You can have Greek yoghurt try the Total full fat it is really thick and creamy.
    Good luck.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Phew that’s good then as I quite like that, not so fond of plain yoghurt non Greek style.

Feeling quite good as only day two and I can never stick to diets but I asked the girls where I get my coffee at lunch not to give me the delicious free oat biscuit you usually have and which I love.

I am sure you aren’t supposed to have even small cappuccinos but I don’t think I can go that cold turkey

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Ah, coffee – that’s another one I worried about.
    My findings, with some input from BSD forum, is that
    1. It’s good for my sense of wellbeing and Michael Mosley didn’t stop drinking it.
    2. I didn’t enjoy drinking a proper coffee with a small amount of semi so much – I tried for 2 weeks. However normal lattes are around 100 cals [e.g. Starbucks]
    3. Semi milk contains proportionately more carbs than whole milk.
    4. My compromise was to make coffee with less whole frothy Guernsey milk, so that the coffee still tastes good.
    5. During the BSD I tasted the sugar in milk for the first time when drinking tea with semi-skimmed milk. Quite an eye opener. I still have tea with semi-skimmed but the wider presence of sugars in common foods had passed me by; BSD has made me more aware of sweet tastes generally whether from added sugar or natural.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

That’s brilliant thanks for the info. I don’t think I can go without my cappuccino. Life would not be worth living

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Im the same Lowenna. I too would find it hard to give up the frothy coffees. Australians have a serious coffee habit and I have joined them in that habit for the last two years! I am lucky in that the coffee place I usually go to has Almond milk, something called a Barista Blend which makes it much easier to froth than the stuff you get in the supermarket generally. 250mls of it is only 60 cals so I just add it to my daily calories.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Glad it’s not just me 🙂

• posted by brrrrr
    on

Hi, Mussels?? Can we have mussels on the BSD?

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

I would think so brrrr. Seafood is good, just can’t sop up the garlicky tomatoey sauce with lots of of Italian style bread – maybe next year (sigh)

Please log in or register to post a reply.