Glucose Tolerance Test – Confused by my results!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TrudiP
    on

I have lost 2 stones on the 8 week diet, and have now adopted the BSD med style low carb diet. I had a follow up GTT the other week, and my results have confused me a little – just wondered what the experiences of others on here have been.

I know that my fasting bloods have come down massively (9.8 in January to under 6 now – using a home monitor). My GTT result is 4.9 fasting and 10.8 at 2 hours. Given the bands for normal/impaired/diabetic, this seems to be a very big difference.

Can anyone enlighten me? My diabetic nurse has just left a message to say that I am still classed as pre-diabetic, but that she does not need to follow up with me … just for me to continue with a healthy lifestyle. Odd that she does not want to monitor my weight loss and so on further, don’t you think?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

TrudiP that sounds really like she believes that, if you continue this lifestyle, you will get down into non diabetic ranges, the fact that she said to continue with the healthy lifestyle bears that out.
    I too was downgraded to pre diabetic this week, doesn’t that feel good ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by TrudiP
    on

Congratulations Bill. ๐Ÿ™‚ And you are right! I should just be happy that everything is going in the right direction.

• posted by Notsweet
    on

I’ve lost 3stones from 13.25 to 10.25 since diagnosis November 2015, just on med style 1500cal diet. Started off tight on carbs and got tighter, keeping to 80-100grm per day. Most numbers very good, fasting, 2 hr normal and my first 3 month test was down to 48 from 62. Blood pressure massivly down as well. However, if I’m daft enough to do (say) 50gsms of carbs in one meal my 2 hour sugar is still more often than not a bit higher than the ‘normal’ range at around 9. Has anyone any idea if this will also correct, and if so how long it may take. Not planning to lose more weight, but actually finding it easier to keep on the diet than to try to eat more.

Must say it all works really well..but don’t think my doctor is keen on all this independent, drug refusing low carb nonsense!

• posted by TrudiP
    on

Hi Notsweet, you have done well! ๐Ÿ™‚ I still have around another 2 – 3 stones to lose, but am confident it will happen. I have not told my doctor or diabetes nurse of what I am doing, as they have not asked to see me since they sent me on a Pre-diabetes nutrition course (I was not popular there, and they were put out when I questioned the need to provide a bowl of sugar, a carton of fruit juice, and rich tea biscuits at the break!!) 12 months ago. But it is the variation in my levels that I find confusing – from 4.9 up to 10.8 seems a huge difference, but maybe that is nothing for me to worry about. At least I know that my levels are in the normal range when I eat my “normal” food – something to be grateful for!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Late response to this… but when I went to my pre-diabetes nutrition course we were told to eat 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL and 15-30 g for a snack, to keep our blood sugars steady??!! I told the instructor that 60 g of carbs would send my blood sugar soaring so she told me to stick to 45…

I remember one participant very put out at the limit of 60g per meal because she wouldn’t be able to eat 4 slices of toast with jam, sugary coffee, and fruit all in one meal and how was she supposed to cope?

We have an official diabetes recipe magazine in Australia, I’ve borrowed it from the library but don’t buy it, recipes often include pasta with a carb count of 60ish grams. Crazy.

TrudiP, my fasting blood sugars have always been fine, they only go up after a carby meal or the GTT glucose liquid. I think there are two paths to a diabetes diagnosis, some get bad fasting levels others get bad post-meal levels but both will lead to diabetes if you don’t do anything about it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Natalie, it was interesting – and shocking- reading your post about the dietary advice still given out for diabetics. The official advice there and here in the uk is quite literally killing people slowly and painfully. Thank god for prof taylor and michael mosley ๐Ÿ™‚

Notsweet cut your carb intake to 50g a day – or less- and those readings should stabilize ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by TrudiP
    on

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for your response – I think I am similar to yourself with the blood results, and I feel better hearing that the GTT results and the Fasting results can be so different. I am continually amazed by the nonsense “professionals” are still telling people – and more than a little annoyed about the bad information and advice.

I now have even lower carbs and higher fats in my diet, and feel a whole lot better for it! I also include intermittent fasting (23 hours fast and 1 meal a day, 5 days a week). My bloods continue to come down, and the weight continues to come off.

I hope that the medical world will catch up with the science, and that more people can follow Dr Moseley’s (amongst others!) advice and get back to good health.

• posted by TrudiP
    on

Sorry – had to add. My co-worker’s partner is diabetic and has just had a doctor’s appointment.

He mentioned doing a low carb diet and his doctor told him that this was not a good idea, but would arrange for him to see a dietician! ARGH!!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

There are none so blind as those who will not see
    Seems to fit

Please log in or register to post a reply.