Glucose Test

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

I have just started the 8 week blood sugar diet with the intention of losing 12.5% of my body weight. My understanding is that this will reduce blood sugar levels to within the normal range provided that circa this weight is maintained. This view seems to be supported by the forward at page 10 of Dr Mosley’s book, para 3 which states ‘They (type 2 diabetes patients) remain free of diabetes provided they keep the weight off.’

If the diet prompts drainage of fat deposits from my liver and pancreas for the purpose of again enabling correct insulin production as suggested by Dr Mosley a significant ingest of sugar such as that of the glucose test conducted by diabetic clinics should therefore result in readings within the normal blood sugar range. Can anyone say if this likely to be the case?

Many thanks in anticipation of an unambiguous reply.

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

Having read slightly more on the forums I am starting to wonder whether the BSD is being misrepresented as a cure for diabetes and is not just a low calorie diet which, by its nature, limits blood sugars from rising. From a clarity point of view i would be concerned if the quote from page 10 of Dr Mosley’s book should more correctly read ‘.They remain free of diabetes provided they keep the weight off and continue to follow a low carb diet’ . That would not be the same thing at all!Alternatively it is possible that this issue is clearly addressed somewhere else in the BSD book and I have missed it.
    Any chance of an informed reply? Without meaning to be rude surely someone on this forum (perhaps Dr Mosley) must be able to make an informed comment.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I am not a doctor however I am an attorney and it seems to me they are the same thing — if the low calorie diet effects weight loss such that diabetes in no longer evident, does it matter if the weight lost (and end of the diabetic state) was caused by the low carbs or the low calories? Either way the result is the same. As to your second question, whether increasing carbs in the diet after losing the weight will result in a return of diabetes, that I cannot answer because I am not diabetic. There are several people posting on these forums who are diabetic — many of them have started to transition to a 5:2 diet and have undoubtably increased their intake of carbs as they do so. Perhaps they could share their experiences on that issue.

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

Thanks for the reply.
    There appears to be a misunderstanding. In the case of the BSD loss of weight is caused by restricted eating regardless of whether prompted by restricted carbohydrate or calories which in that case is only 800 calories per day for an eight week period. That is not in question. The question posed is whether the diabetes is actually likely to be cured as suggested in Dr Mosley’s book and not just the blood sugar readings for the length of time that food restriction is enforced.
    The underlying principle in the BSD book is that the visceral fat will be drained from the liver and pancreas by the diet and that after the eight week period and 10 to 15 percent of weight loss the pancreas will function properly again producing insulin in quantities that will return blood sugars to normal and the diabetes will actually be ‘cured’ provided that the general loss of weight is maintained.
    The above would mean that one could eat normally i.e. neither over or under eating the usual 2500 calories or whatever it takes to maintain stable weight and not just have to eat low carbohydrate foods or severely restricted portions at 800 calories per day. My concern is that if this is not the case eating non low glycaemic index foods for example white bread, rice, pasta or chips etc in previous quantities would continue to have significant adverse effects on the blood sugars and possibly, if the diabetes was not cured, on health even at that reduced weight.
    The question posed still needs to be addressed.

on

Perhaps you can be the guinea pig!

• posted by Syb
    on

Thank you Lyn. I thought I was the only one questioning the reversal part. After having completed my 8 weeks and waiting for my official test to come back, at this s point I would argue about the word reversal.

You cannot go back to being ‘normal’, however if you move to the Mediterranean diet, i.e. Still ve y low on carbs I believe it can be managed, so that you can avoid medications and all of the horrible symptoms and effects of diabetes.

I’d love to hear how others are going. Many seem to be fast 800ing for much longer than the 8 weeks.

• posted by HypoGal
    on

I found the BSD after watching Dr Mosley’s BBC program “Trust Me I Am a Doctor”, where, from memory, it was discovered that patients who had sudden and dramatic weight loss (such as fat removal operations) were also able to reverse their diabetes. This was a big surprise to some surgeons and a big breakthrough for diabetes management.

That is why, Dr Mosley advocates a rapid 8 week program to lose weight as quickly as possible to balance blood sugars. I am pretty sure that there is reference to this in the beginning of the BSD book as well.

Did you read/see that Lynn Pollen? Maybe that might help answer your queries.

• posted by HypoGal
    on

This of course relates particularly to Diabetes Type II, which experts have always agreed can be reversed by proper diet, and now there is more and more proof that it is directly related to weight gain, especially fat that is carried around the waist and surrounds the internal organs (visceral fat).

So, it appears that weight loss, which ever way you choose to lose it, is fundamental to overcoming Type II.

My problem is that I have Reactive Hypoglycaemia, but not diabetes. However in recent years, my weight gain has rocketed and waist line has bulged, and I know this is a big warning sign that I may get Type II in the future. I also appear to have severe insulin resistance and until I tried this diet have not had any success in losing weight.

The low-carb low-calorie diet obviously is the best and fastest way to lose weight, but after nearly a month on the BSD (I have lost 3 Kilos and 1.5 inches from my waist), I am still having severe hypoglycaemia symptoms. However, I have been reassured by others that this diet works for this as well. Here’s hoping !

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi LynnPollen
    No idea if I have reversed my diabetes or not but can tell you my own personal facts and figures which say something!
    Been on the diet for 24 weeks …with the odd blip.
    Diagnosed Type 2 diabetic with an HBA1c result of 9.6% on 1st Feb. Prescribed 3 X 500mg Metformin a day.
    Have lost around 3 stone in weight and my recent HBA1c came back as 5.5% which is in the normal range.
    Have reduced the Metformin to 1 tablet a day but think I should probably stop altogether to test the effect.
    Fearful of where to go next re the diet when I reach my healthy BMI….should be soon.
    Terrified that if I add even a little bit to my calorie/carb count my weight and BS levels will escalate extremely quickly.
    5:2 or Mediterranean? Still undecided about where to next….

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi LynnPollen

Tomorrow I’ll have finished 30 weeks on the BSD 800 calories, low carb.

When I started on 19th December my HbA1c was 9.6, I April it was 5.5 – in the normal range.

Still a little weight to lose to get me to my healthy BMI, although I have already lost 75 pounds, so I’ll be staying on the BSD 800 calories until then. After that my aim is to eat low carb Mediterranean style, making slight adjustments until I discover how to maintain my reduced weight.

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

Thanks for the posts.
    It seems to me to be becoming increasingly likely that the BSD is just a method of managing blood sugars rather than ‘reversing’ or curing diabetes.
    I will try to arrange for a glucose test to be undertaken after the 8 weeks to see whether I am no longer diabetic and will post the results at that time.
    HypoGal Why would an 8 week 800 calorie diet not balance blood sugar levels regardless of whether Dr Mosley mentions it in his book or not? The question I am posing is will the BSD cure diabetes – see my original post. None of the replies above appear to suggest that it is likely to permanently fix diabetes which seems to run contrary to the thrust of the book.
    You will have to forgive me but I do not intend to address any further posts as I can see that this could rapidly become both time consuming and unproductive.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sorry but you can’t make a post like this then say you won’t respond to other posters in the thread.
    The fact is, the BSD is still really in it’s infancy but with some outstanding results, me included.
    All evidence now points to the fact that simple carbohydrates and sugar cause T2D. The experiences of many people who have followed this plan is that they can, and have, managed to get their blood sugar readings down to normal levels.
    Now if you want to call that reversed, under control, or a host of other names, it’s just semantics. The test strips don’t lie, but, in my honest opinion, if you then start eating the things that caused the diabetes in the first place then it is going to come back.
    In a way it’s like alcoholism, if a sufferer does AA and stops drinking, no matter for how long, they still class themselves as an alcoholic, regardless of whether they start drinking again.
    Everyone who has read the book or the forums knows now what caused the diabetes.
    If you manage to get your sugar into the normal range by cutting out the bad stuff and then start eating it again, that is your choice and any reappearance of the diabetes will be by your own actions. Play with fire and you get burned.
    Personally I class myself as a diet controlled diabetic and I will never call myself reversed, I have finally taken control of my disease and it’s up to me to keep that up, it is not the responsibility of the doctor, the nurse, Michael Mosely or anyone else, it’s all down to me.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Thanks Bill1954
    Well-written, considered response.
    Nettle.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Ditto Thanks Bill1954 Would have to be very cautious to say that we have actually reversed Diabetes. Am no medical expert…..BUT we have certainly taken back control and reduced or stopped taking our medication. So that is a win as regards to improving our health……no guarantees …..

• posted by Bill1954
    on

There are never any guarantees.
    OK so someone has wrote a book which tells us how to control our diabetes, maybe the word “reverse” was an unfortunate choice, but to me, it’s just common sense that if stopping the stuff that made you ill in the first place makes you better, then starting it again will make you ill again.
    Or am I being a little too simplistic? I don’t think so.
    As in everything else in life, we all have to take responsibility for our own actions.
    On a brighter note, Summer arrives this weekend 😀

• posted by Izzy
    on

I think you make perfect sense Bill.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Thanks Izzy
    thanks too for the recipes in your other thread, I’ll try a couple of them next week. 🙂

• posted by HypoGal
    on

I believe that the word, reverse, is a legitimate term in this discussion, albeit it is more easily achievable for those who have had the condition for only a few years.

From just one of many, many sources (Healthline.com) :

“Can You Reverse Type 2 Diabetes?

Treatment for type 2 diabetes includes monitoring your blood sugar levels and using medications or insulin when needed. Doctors also recommend losing weight through diet and exercise. If you start eating healthier, get more exercise, and lose weight, you can reduce your symptoms. Research shows that these lifestyle changes, especially physical activity, can even reverse the course of the condition.

Studies that show the reversal of type 2 diabetes include participants who have lived with the condition for only a few years.

Weight loss is the primary factor in patients who have experienced a reversal of type 2 diabetes. Excess fat in the body effects the production of insulin and how it is used. Research has shown that bariatric surgery can reverse type 2 diabetes, but there are less drastic ways that you can lose weight and reduce your symptoms. A commitment to exercise and dietary changes may be all you need. “

• posted by HypoGal
    on

I only bring this up, not to be controversial, but that the very hope that reversal is possible, is a great incentive to keep going and give us the strength to overcome the daily challenges we must face to overcome this unnecessary disease.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

This is from Newcastle University Website

“Professor Roy Taylor said: “What we have shown is that it is possible to reverse your diabetes, even if you have had the condition for a long time, up to around 10 years. If you have had the diagnosis for longer than that, then don’t give up hope – major improvement in blood sugar control is possible.

“The study also answered the question that people often ask me – if I lose the weight and keep the weight off, will I stay free of diabetes? The simple answer is yes!

“Interestingly, even though all our volunteers remained obese or overweight, the fat did not drift back to clog up the pancreas.

“This supports our theory of a Personal Fat Threshold. If a person gains more weight than they personally can tolerate, then diabetes is triggered, but if they then lose that amount of weight then they go back to normal.

“Individuals vary in how much weight they can carry without it seeming to affect their metabolism – don’t forget that 70% of severely obese people do not have diabetes.

“The bottom line is that if a person really wants to get rid of their Type 2 diabetes, they can lose weight, keep it off and return to normal.

“This is good news for people who are very motivated to get rid of their diabetes. But it is too early to regard this as suitable for everyone. That is a separate question and a major study is underway to answer this.”

It also says that after te 8 weeks people returned to their normal food though were advised to eat in moderation

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I suppose this is one of those “time will tell” situations.
    Personally I have no wish to go back to eating simple carbs, I don’t miss them or even fancy them, but I stiil get a spike if I inadvertently eat some.
    It will be interesting to see the outcome for someone who has been told their condition is reversed when they go back to eating the simple carbs again.
    Like I said before, it doesn’t matter if we call it reversed or diet controlled, as long as the results are the same.

• posted by HypoGal
    on

Wow, you mean that some of you here don’t know that Diabetes Type 2 is actually reversible and its common medical knowledge, well before the BSD diet came out, that the cause is obesity and inactivity? And the medical solution has always been weight loss and exercise?

The only thing unique, and somewhat controversial, about the BSD is the amount of calories that is recommended, which is well below the standard dietary recommendations. And the BSD does that because the latest scientific research has found that the faster you lose weight, the better.

Its a disease that we are NOT meant to have. Its in direct relationship to the rising world obesity rates.

Wow, I am really surprised.

• posted by HypoGal
    on

I thought that was a given, and that would be the reason why all of you are here.

• posted by Maefly
    on

The “medical solution” as you put it, has been to lose weight gradually, using a low fat diet. The difference with the BSD is that it advocates fast weight loss through very low calories or intermittant fasting, with a reduction of carbohydrates rather than fats. A diet with unrestricted fat is tastier and more satisfying, making it easier to stick to and easier to accept as a long term way of eating. Reduction of viceral fat achieved through fasting, results in an improved sensitivity to insulin so that if you do start to eat higher levels of carbohydrate, your blood sugars will be more in control than before; a reversal of type 2 diabetes. Remember the TOFI (thin outside, fat inside)? You don’t have to be obese to be insulin resistant and therefore at risk of type 2 diabetes.

This is my understanding of the BSD.

on

Hey what’s up Hypogal? With all due respect, your posts are rather stressed and they don’t seem to be focused on solving any issue here, just pushing back in a negative way. I am assuming that you realize that this group of people on these posts have all decided to do something about their health and weight and make the HARD effort to make the changes necessary to fix this problem, as much as it can possibly be fixed, whether a “cure” or a “control”. It is not easy to follow this diet and yet many are, and they are seeing amazing health and fitness benefits. Whether we cure or control diabetes does not really matter, and if the information is the “same old information we always knew but didn’t follow”, well, that is human nature. Sometimes information is put differently, so we SEE it differently, and that is how the BSD has struck people, a new way of looking at an old problem. I am hoping that all the posts are helpful to you and you also feel that this can be helpful to you. We have fun here, and there is a lot of shared and useful information — I want you to join us and feel supported — I am not sure if we can ever answer your queries as fully as you wish, but we are here to have your back if you wish to join us on this journey.
    Julia

• posted by Izzy
    on

Julia that was a great post. Hypogal I hope you can enjoy the forum and benefit from being here.

There have been a few confrontational threads around in recent times and in many ways I think we have to accept that these boards were in their infancy so the numbers here were small and it was quieter before. However as it grows (and it should and will) the numbers increase along with the diversity of the people within it.

A large group of diverse individuals will never agree on everything, the secret being a bit of tolerance and mutual respect.

We are all here to improve our health – type 2 or not, and the list of success stories among us is growing by the day. We can drastically reduce the risks of either getting or living with a life threatening condition and that is something to celebrate. I would rather get excited by that than argue over the details. This is about maximising our own health.

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

HypoGal I read your posts. You seem to have a better insight into this topic than most! Nevertheless, I could not let Ziggy’s reply go by without expressing my thanks. Absolutely excellent! I have since perused the Newcastle University web sight and listened to Professor Roy Taylor’s lecture entitled Reversing the irreversible: Type 2 diabetes and you. My question is now answered and I have no reservations whatsoever regarding the use of the word reversible nor the thrust of the BSD book.

Bill1954 – the enthusiastic poster. It might be a productive investment of your time to visit the University web site and to listen to Professor Taylor’s lecture in order to achieve a slightly more informed insight into this topic.

This is the last post until the end of my diet in a couple of months.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Thought that knowledge of Roy Taylor’s Newcastle Study was a given.
    It is certainly the very first thing I discovered online when I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic in January and the thing that led me to the BSD diet itself. Naturally it is in the foreword of the BSD book. On my very first meeting with the Diabetic Nurse I went armed with a printed copy of the study just in case she didn’t know about it…….of course she did!
    Bit insulting to think we don’t know about this study especially people who have Type 2 diabetes. It is our interest to research scientific studies. I’m positive that Bill knows all about this.
    Sorry I misunderstood your query as I thought you were interested in some anecdotal evidence.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

There are many studies which can be sourced on the internet regarding the history and research on low carb and high fat eating. Many are highly rated in terms of their scientific rigour, which is important to me.

Amongst many others here, my OH and I been encouraged to read extensively around the whole subject. It is up to others how much associated reading they do and how they utilise the information and you risk grossly underestimating the capacity of many here if you assume that we follow the BSD as yet another fad without rigorously looking at the science.

I believe that Michael Mosley supports Dr Roy Taylor and his work by making the BSD simple to follow, rather than the current medical advice to “eat a balanced diet” when many people are very confused as to what this is.

Inevitably, the science in the book is relatively basic but is also understandable and I feel that the simplicity of the system allows people to take control of their lives (as Bill1954 has done – not sure why anyone should take it upon themselves to suggest he should do further research, trifle patronising, no?)

I wish everyone here the greatest of success, and – if you want apocryphal data – I can confirm a 20lb loss over 8 weeks with greatly improved feelings of health and aliveness whilst OH is progressing his target of coming off Metformin with the active support of his GP who is very happy he is following the BSD.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hypogal
    given your statement that diabetes reversal was common medical knowledge, well before the BSD diet came out, I have to take it that you are a non diabetic at a good weight. Your follow up statement, “I thought that was a given, and that would be the reason why all of you are here” begs the question, why are YOU here?
    Have you come to offer support and knowledge to us, or are you simply here to belittle us? Your posts when not direct copy and pastes from Google suggest the latter.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Just a wee update on Reversing Diabetes – and by that I don’t mean a normal HbA1c, which you can achieve by low carbing but your body still does not process sugars properly – so you still HAVE diabetes. How do you know f it is reversed? Prof Taylor states :-
    “Follow-up of the Counterpoint Study at 3 months after completing the very-low-calorie diet showed that seven of the 11 participants did not have diabetes on oral glucose tolerance testing, despite weight gain of 4 kg”

So the way to know if your diabetes is gone is to get an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test done.

Which sets me to thinking, I put off my latest HaB1c twice as I was stating this diet, then rang to arrange it for the last week of my diet, but no appointments until mid-late September. So I opted for August the 11th, I’ll be halfway through week 6 by then so should get good results. As I know that eating no carbs for 2 months will definitely give a normal HaB1c result, in fact my last 12 have been in the normal range!

But, I am going to ask for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test or do one at home – 2 months after the diet to check how my insulin response is.

Fingers crossed (cause crossing my toes makes me trip)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Ziggy, we are on the same course. I have a blood test booked for 9th Aug with visit to doctor on 11th, but then I will be 6 1/2 weeks into the diet. Fingers crossed. Just reading a post (Peta I think) who has had the all clear from the doctor who said ‘you are no longer diabetic’ but not sure is that is just good reading or if s/he has been tested for tolerance. I will just keep going.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, just posted to you somewhere else in the forum about the limits of reversal. I will have to look at your posts to see how your BSD is going for you. A doctor cannot in all honesty say ‘you are no longer diabetic’ based upon an Ha1Bc test, but I know from a diabetes forum I am a member of that a lot of doctors do make this rash statement. The only real way to do it is the tolerance test.

What was your last HbA1c? Ah, just read your profile. How much weight do you want/need to lose? Your BG levels should be well normal again. The HbA1c takes an average of the past 12 weeks, but it is weighted on the past month -(which you have been on the BSD) I await your results with anticipation.

on

Hi Ziggy, I have just done a little rant on this particularly about Hypogal and one other saying we all knew about this. However, it seems to have disappeared into the ether, maybe that’s okay but it included a bit of my history.

To your questions, I am tested every 3 months and after a disaster with a nutritionist putting me on a high carb diet my readings 12 months ago were 5.6, then 9 months ago (after the diet) 11, then I came off her diet and went back on my own so 6 months ago the reading was 8 and three months later 8 again. Which is where I seemed to get stuck. Anyway I am in week 5 of this diet and my morning tests are showing between 4.5 and 6 so hopefully will have a good result when I have it done again in 2 weeks time. I will let you know what news.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi sunshine-girl – couldn’t find your rant wither. Did find a post where you ask me for the address of the diabetes forum which espouses LCHF – http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/

Did I read a post from you where you talked about insulin and hypos> I take it you get testing strips on prescription or buy your own.

Am very interested in what your news will be – and am interested in what mine will be too.

on

Well, I don’t believe it. Just answered a post on Glucose Test and it has disappeared. This is the second time that has happened in the last 2 days. I will see if this posts.

on

Well that worked. Ziggy you asked about my hypo, I had one about 18 mth ago for absolutely no reason, that is when I was sent to see the dietician who put me on the high carb diet. Since starting this diet I have had a couple of quite low readings but have kept a careful eye and always have something around to eat fairly quickly. So no real problems now.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Maybe the sugar gremlins are disappearing your posts sunshine-girl.
    It is not uncommon for type 2s to have hypos, that is under 4 or lower. Through low carbing and exercise etc. I take it from your posts that you test regularly too. They only gave me the means to test my blood for 2 years and then NICE decided that allowing Type 2s to test their own BGs and take control would cause them too much stress, so they withdrew access to testing strips.
    I had a funny experience last week, when I went for a 5K run/jog in 28 degree heat without having eaten, and felt very faint and dizzy when I got home for some hours, have a BP monitor at home and my BP was borderline Hypotension,and I would bet that I was Hypo BG too.

on

Ziggy, OMG I cannot believe what you have just said. I heard that NICE restrict the strips because they are 30p each but not banned to stop the patient stressing. Firstly, the strips cost less than 3p each and I get 100 each month. Secondly, do they treat you like children, are you not in charge of your own medical treatment.

It is so different here but I think that is because we pay for it. Although, as a diabetic I get at 100% refund on all treatments and pharmacy stuff. My doctor gives me a prescription with everything on it and leaves it up to me to decide if there is anything I don’t need i.e. the needles come in box of 500 so I tell the girl in the pharmacy not to give me any most of the time.

You might has seen my post about my husband getting his blood results. We go have ours done at a laboratory and they send the results direct to us, usually on the same day. We get the results, the doctor also gets a copy but it is us who have paid for them so they belong to us. The downside to this is you are responsible for your own medical results e.g. I have x-rays of my ankle when I fell over, I have all my mammograms here in my house and I take my latest with me when I go have my next one. My husband will see the heart specialist next week and he will be given the print out of his cardiogram. My brother is a nurse in UK and he says if they did that there everyone would lose everything or forget to take it. Here it is just second nature.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi sunshine-girl,

One of the reasons MICE quoted when they advised local Primary Care Trusts to STOP prescribing testing strips to type 2 patients not on insulin (they are also trying to limit the supply to Type 1 patients too) was that patients would stress about their Blood Glucose levels. Buying 100 strips here over the counter would be £25 – £30 dependent on which meter you use.

I was diagnosed before NICE’s advice so enjoyed about 2 year’s supply of strips and have diaries from the time showing which foods caused me to spike and which didn’t. In the UK we can request a copy of all our medical records – there is a charge for it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend 🙂

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Oops NICE not MICE lol

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

see below

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

Ziggy
    Just read your post dated 28 July. You are the first person to address the question that this thread was supposed to be about. (Also thanks to Mayfly – post 16 July.) Everything comes to those who wait!
    Ziggy instead of the glucose tolerance test have you considered requesting an insulin secretion test which may be more accurate?
    Prof Taylor’s graph appears to show both the first and second stage insulin responses, for some, becoming normal after 8 weeks of dieting. As a consequence I will try to arrange an initial test after the end of my diet which culminates on 28 August and will post the results as soon as I get them although this may be nearer to mid or the end of September – see below.
    I have approached my doctor re the tests but he favours me being referred on private health insurance. This may or may not prove to be a successful route.
    Ziggy thanks – on point again!
    ‘sunshine-girl’
    I think you may require an insulin secretion or glucose tolerance test to be able to tell whether you are diabetes free or not. The three of us seem to be roughly in the same time line so our results and comparisons should be interesting. Best of luck all!

on

Lynn, I don’t think I am anywhere near being ‘diabetes free’. I am still using insulin at 27 units (ml) per night and until I can get that down even further, even to not needing it, I don’t think I can say I am better. My b/g this morning was 82 and tonight before dinner 84 (4.5 and 4.6) but I have also had a very hungry day with little energy so it might be time to reduce the insulin to 26 units – possibly tomorrow night. I will talk to my doctor about what I am doing and what he recommends for future treatment. I do tend to go off and do my own thing and he lets me get on with it but he is still the professional and I am going to introduce him to Prof Taylor, and ask him to review the diet plan and its merits. Hopefully, he will be supportive but that depends on my results in 2 weeks.

Ziggy, I am on insulin so do test myself regularly and the doctor recommends once a day, alternating between morning and evening readings. Because of this diet I am doing it twice a day, just hope the mice don’t come and take away my test strips 🙂

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

sunshine-girl
    Noted.

on

Okay Lynne 🙂 that’s the only emo I know how to do.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

LynnPollen

I am going to ask my practice nurse when I have my HbA1c in 11 days time, or maybe leave it to talk to the doctor when I go for her to tell me the results of my HbAic. I do know about the first and second phase insulin responses but am not sure the GP practice would fund this, test. But I know that a HbA1c is going to tell me nothing, unless it is higher than 6 (in old measurements) – as it has been in the 5’s since diagnosis. Maybe the OGTT might be more acceptable to them, and to be honest, if an OGTT shows normal insulin action that would please me.- in fact a quick Google of Insulin Secretion Test and NHS throws up no meaningful results.

sunshine-girl, I take it you are on a fixed dose of insulin, which you are supposed to eat to your insulin, as opposed to basal bolus whereby you have an undercurrent of day long insulin and then you inject enough insulin to cover the carbs in the meal that you have eaten. Anyone using insulin on the forum I told you about tests a whole lot more than twice a day, some test 12 to 15 times a day. 82 and 84 is normal or below normal readings sunshine-girl, so something is working.

One more day and I am half way through this strange journey with my new peers. I’ll tell you something, I hate going into supermarkets now – too many reminders of foods and (especially) snacks that I like. And …….. I miss having a cold beer. Moan over!!! 😎

on

Ziggy, I use once a day (or night actually) insulin. Lantus in a pen style. I decide how much insulin to use depending on what I have eaten. Normally it only works when I have eaten too much bad stuff and increase the units by just a couple. As I see my numbers reduce I reduce the insulin. However, in the recent past I have seen my b/g go down over a few days, reduced my insulin and seen my b/g go straight back up, so was not getting anywhere. UNTIL NOW……. Love love love the diet. Seen b/g reduce from 190 to around 100 with some days lower but rarely any higher. I have reduced my insulin from Diet day 1 at 37 units to last night 27 units. I have also reduced my Gliclazide from 30mg to 20mg. As I am having tests done in 8 days I think I might just leave things as they are. Good luck with your tests.

Think I miss a cool glass of white wine sat outside by the pool in the evening but hey ho, I love my health more.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hmm. obviously since you’re type 2 you don’t have the same insulin regimes as Type 1s sunshine-girl. Most insulin injectors I know inject before the meal (sometimes just after) to allow the insulin to be in the body to deal with the sugar from the meal. Lantus is a long lasting basal insulin with no discernible peak, which gives a slow and steady release of insulin during the day and overnight. It doesn’t help with any spikes caused by meals though. Thus your decreased intake of carbs is the reason that you can reduce the lantus as it only acts as a background insulin and can’t act on the sugars and carbs from meals..

But the best bit is that your numbers seem to be all falling which is great. Leaving things as they are until your tests is a good idea, my tests are in 11 days – we can compare results!

• posted by LynnPollen
    on

Ziggy
    If you have another look at Professor Taylor’s 2014 4 October lecture (26 minutes 53 secs in) with associated graphs all is explained. This insulation secretion test would certainly sort out whether we are still diabetic at the time the tests are undertaken.

Please log in or register to post a reply.