Getting a bit old with dodgy knees

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MaryWR
    on

I’m just starting the 800 BSD and determined to fulfil every aspect. I’m thinking some of the exercises will be hard on my knees. Has anybody discovered some good HIT ideas which are knee sparing? Swimming is not an option.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Exercise bike is probably the lowest impact on knees, so I would try that, if you can get access to one.

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Hi
    I got an exercise bike on Freecycle for the same reason – my poor sore knees and it seems to be fine so far – no extra knee pain.

• posted by MaryWR
    on

Free cycle! Brilliant idea, thank you. The world must be full of unused exercise bikes. Thanks for your help friends.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Rowing! Do 600 yards all out for 4-10 reps — build up!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Oh dear that reminds me of how hard it was to get rid of our treadmill that we never used. It was huge and took up so much space. And so heavy and hard to move! But no point advertising it for sale, literally thousands there already. Gave it to a friend for about a year but when she renovated her house she gave it back. Literally couldn’t give it away. But eventually a work friend of my husband took it. I was so glad to see the back of it.

I wouldn’t mind owning a rowing machine or elliptical, but there is no way my husband will let me buy one after that experience!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi all, I’m 61 and have dodgy knees ! I have bought a rowing machine about a week ago. I managed to find a fold up one so it takes up less space. This is fine for my knees, and I’m gradually building up strength on it. I find it best to row to music. I found it hard to get in and off at first because of pain in my knees, but have now worked out a more elegant way to do it. I think it will really help,if I stick with it and build up slowly. It’s quite good fun !

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

My knees used to protest at going up and down stairs – this started perhaps a year or so ago. About three months ago (before I had even heard of the BSD) i started taken cod liver oil capsules (1000 mg, one per day) and they’ve stopped protesting! Of course, I don’t know how bad my knees were compared to anybody else’s, but it worked for me. At the start, I weighed 14-5 give or take, and the knees improved before I started on the BSD whihc has seen my weight come down to 13-0 after 5 weeks and I am sure that my reduced weight will also help, but, as I said, the knees improved before starting the diet. Oh, and I’m 79, 6’1″
    Mike

• posted by sandrainc
    on

chair aerobics…walking action while sitting down…plus daily intermittent fasting cleared up my knee bursitis without me planning it…all the best

Please log in or register to post a reply.