Food list ??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Vicky
    on

Hi everyone, I too have read the book and intend to start Monday, although I am a little confused as what exactly to buy, I know there are the recipes to adhere too but can I produce my own recipes as long as they are within the same calorific value?? Also I am a little unclear to exactly what foods are allowed ?? Can anyone help please ??

• posted by SharonB
    on

Hi I am also trying to work that out !I am guessing that its a good idea to follow the guide in the book as they have worked out how many calories are in each meal and also what things you need to eat to make sure you have the correct proteins, minerals etc.
    I have just been reading back through again and can’t find anything that says you can do your own version if you keep to the 800 calories a day though

From reading the book i think one cup of coffee a day is ok but mainly herbal teas or water. but need to drink 2-3 litres of water a day.

can’t find anything about milk, so not sure if you can have that. Fruit is rationed, but if you have it go for strawberries, cherries, blackberries and blueberries.

stick to leafy veg broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, lettuce, kale, chard, and cauliflower, peppers and mushroom also good. eggs, fish, chicken, nuts, eggs and spinach.

I guess if you are able to work out a menu plan for yourself using those ingredients to value of 800 calories a day you should be ok.

Im just going to go through all of the menu plan as there are some things I don’t like too. So Im going to pick the meals I do like and they have already given us the calories for them meal and I will make up a plan that way.

Don’t know if this has been helpful !
    think it may be a bit trail and error to start with, but one of the key things is making sure you drink the 2 – 3 litres of water to prevent headaches and constipation.
    Good luck!

• posted by SharonB
    on

Hi Vicky if you also click on Newbies under forums there are other posts where people are asking questions so might be worth having a look in there.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I am still drinking as much tea as I usually do but have gone from semi-skimmed to full fat. I measure the milk in the cup each time and that milk counts towards my 800 cals. I”m also drinking coffee but with no sugar of course. I’m also having my night time cup of cocoa made with water and a little milk if I have enough cals left over at the end of the day. All that adds up to 7 fluid ounces of whole milk.

To stock up on the basics I have:-

Vegetables all grown above ground. Along with sweet peppers, mushrooms, garlic, onions etc.
    Tomatoes, cucumber and a bag of mixed lettuce (love those ones with baby spinagh
    Berries (strawberries, blue berries, raspberries)
    Oranges and Apples
    Lemons
    Raisins
    Sunflower seeds
    Unsalted peanuts
    Flaxseed (mainly for me to mix in with yogurt)
    Eggs
    Ryvita crispbread

For the Fridge:-

Butter
    Cheese (chedder full fat)
    Humus
    Quark
    Full fat milk
    Greek style natural yogert

Tinned food:-

Pilchards
    Tuna
    Mackerel in olive oil
    Chopped tomatoes
    Plum tomatoes
    Heinz baked beans

What I need to cook a daily main meal I figure out the night before what I want and then nip to the local shops the following morning to buy anything special I need for it.

• posted by Vicky
    on

That is great advice, and the list really helpful many thanks x

• posted by Vicky
    on

Hello, just wondered what weight loss you are all achieving?? I’m committed but a little apprehensive , thanks vicky

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I’m pleased the list helped Vicky.

I seem to be losing almost a 1lb a day at the moment. I’ve got a feeling though that for me, that may slow up to 4lbs a week. I would be over the moon with that though.

• posted by SharonB
    on

Hi zandranna
    Are you managing to stick to the 800 a day? I’m going to use the recipes in the book but most days they are about 900 to 920 calories ?

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Yes, I don’t find it hard to stick to 800 cals at all.

What I have been doing is posting all my next days meals ahead of time on myfitnesspal. That way I can make sure that all cals add up to 800 before I even start eating anything.

If a recipe is going to take me over the 800, I will work out if perhaps eating only 3/4 of that meal will bring the cals down to where I want them. Or if I want to have a fairly high cal evening meal that day I will look to see what I have chosen for breakfast and cut that down.

For instance, today I would have gone over my calories, but I was able to juggle it by only having half a greek yogurt and flaxseed for breakfast instead of a whole one.

I think the secret is planning what you are going to eat for the whole day and counting the calories ahead of time. It’s 9am here now and I am just about to go to myfitness pal and fill in everything I intend to eat tomorrow.

• posted by Vicky
    on

Zandranna, thank you for the tips, will give it a go and see how I get on. I’m worried about the sugar crash thou 😁

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I didn’t get a sugar crash, and I haven’t read anywhere on this forum of anyone else getting one either, so you should be ok. Don’t forget you will still be eating sugar, but in a more natural form. We are still getting sugar from the food we are eating, especially the fruit. If you really get a craving for something sweet then do what I do and mix a heaped tablespoon of raisins up with some plain unsalted peanuts and have that as a snack treat.

I do that in the evenings when I start fancying nibbles. Obviously I count that in my 800 calories though.

• posted by Lisa
    on

Wow that’s wonderful!! What a great weight loss

• posted by Vicky
    on

Thanks zandranna you have been really helpful, just jotted down your food list 😀

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Ooops! I see in my previous post I wrote 9am instead of 9pm. I do so wish we could edit these posts on returning to the thread. I have made several spelling/typing mistakes in other posts too that I would have liked to corrected.

Thanks Lisa.

@vicky. If you decide to join myfitnesspal then do friend me. I keep my food diary open for all to view – That of course goes for anyone else as well. I would love more friends on there that are actually actively dieting.

I have to say though that my meals are a bit of a mixture of things because I live alone and hate cooking, so I bung all sorts on a plate just to make sure I get all the food groups.

• posted by SharonB
    on

Zandranna I’ve just downloaded myfitnesspal app to phone trying to suss out how to add you?

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Woo Hoo! I think I’ve got you.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

When I want something sweet, I go for berries, kiwi, and mandarin oranges. I think that dried fruit like raisins are a concentrated sugar. I always have the fruit at the end of the meal so that it doesn’t spike the blood sugars.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Yeah, I’m beginning to think that about raisins myself. I think you are right GoH. I’m going to go for berries as a snack myself now.

• posted by gobbler716
    on

Oy,vey, I love the above list, thank you!

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Hi Zandranna, I have been eating “healthy” fats, yoghurt, cheese etc. I haven’t gone over the calorie limit but my question is, how much good fat can you have a day and still be healthy. I’m eating leafy things til they come out my ears!
    Thank you
    Jane

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hello jeanandmoses, the healthy fats have to be restricted as they are high in calories so, if you are counting everything, they would very soon add up.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I would say that as long as you are eating a balanced diet and not going over your allocated calorie intake then you can’t eat too much good fat.

You could only eat too much if the diet was balance towards fat. For instance if you were keeping to your calories and only eating good fat foods, then you would be eating too much fat.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Thanks Zandranna, would you say a good balance would be 40% fat, 40% protein and 20% carbs is a good balance. I have been eating spinach salad a lot, and I seem to be having huge amounts of vitamin a and vitamin C way over according to MFP, but do you know if there estimates are right? It’s a nightmare trying to balance everything but I suppose after I’ve done it a while I’ll be able to see any overloads, but to start with I need a baseline for foods and vitamins and I can’t find that anywhere.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Thank you Esnecca I have printed it off. I could do with a list of vitamins as well as I’ve no idea about them have askd Zandranna as you can see above

• posted by Scotty
    on

Hi everyone, Think you can have full cream or semi-skimmed milk but need to count calories into the 800 allowance. X

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi cream is quite low carb, used sparingly can be a great treat. semi-skimmed milk or Anything not full fat generally not considered good idea as it’s higher in carbs.

• posted by zolou
    on

I’m doing it by basing it on the recipes but subbing like crazy, because I have a full fridge and freezer and like to do my own thing. The recipes are great for ideas. When I sub I try not to deviate too much from the macronutrient proportions and I work out the calories to make sure they’re still OK.

Today I had the blueberry and green tea shake, but made with frozen hedgerow blackberries. For lunch we just had ‘Aubergines with lamb and pomegranate’ – except that we had it with roasted cauliflower instead of aubergines, and I served it with broccoli – oh, and I didn’t add the pine nuts or pomegranates – oh, and I used chopped, cooked lamb from the freezer instead of lamb mince. It was yummy, what can I say? The carbs were higher than the original, but when some of the recipes include things like baked beans, I feel I was within range.

Please log in or register to post a reply.