flours – ALL sorts

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I hardly feel eligible to post in this section, as I have yet to do even a week on bsd

however, in hours of googling all sorts, I came across this chart which I thought might interest you, although it is probably on here somewhere already

https://ggiswheatfree.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/so-many-flours-so-little-cupboard-space-how-gluten-free-flours-compare-for-carbs-and-protein-content/

I guess what I found particularly alarming, as a consumer of gf bread/pasta – was the complete lack of fibre and protein in the flours they use for these products
    I mean it is even worse than wheat on that front, and as bad or worse for carbs!!

I have made the coconut flour flatbreads and they are tasty, and I think I will now (since I have loads of it left) attempt some other coconut flour recipes

any favourite suggestions gratefully received – so long as they don’t have lots of other ‘tricksy’ ingredients that are expensive or hard to find!!

• posted by Supersteph36
    on

Hi,
    I just used coconut flour to make cheese scones, yummy if a bit dry. Might be good to mop up olive oil, or with butter on. ☺️

• posted by keeptrying
    on

could you give me a link to the recipe please
    thanks

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thanks for the link to the Flour Chart – not seen it before – interesting to read. There are so many types of flour available – what on earth is Teff Flour???? And I reckon most of them cost a lot more than the supermarket “value” stuff.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

they cost more in pennies
    but then lots of the ‘cheap’ ones cost more to our lives I think!!
    and also some of them use far less to be filling

I also wondered what ‘teff’ was – I keep reading it as ‘tough flour’ – bit off putting

• posted by keeptrying
    on

well now we know
    thanks for that

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi,
    I bought coconut flour a couple of weeks ago and have tried baking with it. No real success as yet.
    Pancakes were very dry but on the plus side I had to drink a pint of water to wash each one down! 😉
    Today I tried pancakes with some Almond flour. They were tastier but still not a great substitute.

I will keep experimenting and hopefully find something I can submit to our work ‘Bake off’. 🙂

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I agree with the water – my flat breads don’t ‘feel’ dry, but they make me very thirsty
    but then they have lots of fibre, and that plus water is all good I think

if you have ever eaten GF bread, some of that is like eating a sponge, it seems to soak up all my saliva as I eat it, until I am almost gagging – and that ISN’T fibre

so this is better to me and for me I think, PLUS it stays together which shop bought gf bread doesn’t

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey Keeptrying
    if you Google for Coconut mama then go to her site there are oodles of cocnut flour recipes on there.
    Some are no good as they use sugar but still lots to make 🙂

• posted by keeptrying
    on

thanks bill, I will look at her site

I took some of the coconut flatbreads into some people today – 2 of whom are gf – and they all liked them

• posted by Frog
    on

Has anyone cooked anything with Teff Flour? – it has less carbs that wheat flour, and is high fibre.

Please log in or register to post a reply.