First 8 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mummada
    on

When I started 8 weeks ago I never thought I would go on to lose 2 1/2 stones. When I weighed myself yesterday I was SO pleased but now I feel the really hard work is about to begin. I need to carry on and lose another 4-5 stones, I know I should take it 1 lb at a time but it seems like such a massive journey, has anyone got any helpful tips? For one reason or another I couldn’t exercise, haven’t managed to walk more than 3000 steps, hopefully now that I’m lighter it should be easier?

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi Mummada,

Wow wow wow! I hope you are floating on air! What an amazing achievement.

In my normal life I only walk about 3000 steps so I have just been trying to get that higher by forcing myself to walk up and down the street a few times. I’m recovering from a foot injury so haven’t been pushing it very hard, setting small goals (next house, to the end of the road markings, adding a hill) as and when I feel up to it but trying not to go less than my previous target everyday. I am thinking of getting a dog!!

Once you get into walking my personal trainer (get me) has a top tip. He says that when you lose weight you should try and continue to carry some of it on your back in a backpack, so your body still exerts the same amount of effort even though you weigh less, because you are used to it it isn’t too bad. Now, I guess if the weight has been stopping you walking that might not be great advice for you just yet, but once you’ve ramped up the steps it might be worth bearing in mind!

The other thing I am starting is Nordic Walking. Had one practice and really enjoyed it. Maybe that’s something else to consider once you’ve upped the steps a bit. My lady takes a group out for an hour, it involves arms and legs but you don’t really notice, and she hires the poles. She charges £7 a session on a pay as you go basis which I think is quite common. She says most people go quite slow they end up chatting!

Congratulations again!

J xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

What a great result Mummada!!! Big Congratulations!

My tip for tackling the next part of your BSD journey, is setting mini-goals as markers along the way. It could be losing half a stone, or getting under the next stone marker, or into the next dress size down, but don’t make them too big, as hitting milestones helps to keep one motivated and focused.

We also set four week challenges on the forum, which, although we run them back to back, makes things seem less daunting than a full eight weeks. Everyone is welcome to join us, even part way through a challenge – current one is ‘Spring or Fall, a Challenge for All … ‘ and we are two weeks in, two to go and then the next one will start.

However you tackle the rest of your weight loss, I wish you every success.

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Just popping in to say well done! Fantastic achievement!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Fantastic achievement Mummada – by my calculation you’re a third of the way there or 33% off in 8 weeks. Way to go!

• posted by mummada
    on

Hi JackieM
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and the congratulations.
    I am just waiting for some Nordic walking sticks and plan to increase my steps way. I have only just heard about a short walk group in my local area twice a week which is great for me as I find walking on my own boring.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your foot injury and good luck with your BSD journey.
    Mummada

• posted by mummada
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Thanks for replying. I have “converted” 4 others who were impressed with my weight loss.
    I’ve put a note in my diary for two weeks time to start the next challenge – thanks for that great tip!
    I also wish you well with your journey.
    Mummada

• posted by mummada
    on

Hi Happyfeet
    So glad you popped in. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    Mummada

• posted by mummada
    on

Hi dumptynomore – does that mean you’ve achieved your goal?
    Thanks for the congratulations and words of encouragement.
    Mummada

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Haha – I wish! My 8 weeks will be up Saturday coming. Lost 14 pounds. I have about another 6 stones to go. I just meant you have lost a massive amount of weight in 8 weeks – A third of where you want to be – ‘only’ another two thirds to go. So fantastic! Keep us posted – good to hear how everybody is doing – and ifyou need support you get plenty of that too

Please log in or register to post a reply.