Fatigued? Muscle cramps? Insomnia? BSL is rising instead of sinking? Here's why

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Okay, I am obese and pre-diabetic, and I’ve been on the BSD for nearly a week, but I have to admit that I’m worried because my BSL is continuing to increase. My vision is blurry, I’m tired, thirsty and … well that sounds like I’m already a full-fledged diabetic, right?

And come to find out, I borrowed a diabetic’s test stripes – and on the BSD – my Blood Sugar Level is INCREASING!

People in the forum keep saying, “Oh, don’t worry, you just have the carb flu.”

Well, I looked up here, just to be sure:
    http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/how-you-can-have-high-blood-sugar/

And I found out it’s not the “flu”. My BSL is increasing. It’s called “gluconeogenesis”, or for those not savy in medicine, it means that my sugar is increasing because my body is eating itself to make sugar. And then my body is “dealing” with the results of eating itself very poorly.

I’d very much like to know why Dr. Michael Mosley never discussed gluconeogenesis in his diet book. It’s the reason why some nutrition experts don’t recommend low carb diets.

Yesterday was just too much. I was breaking out in sweats every 1/2 hour, and my feeling faint, and had terrible cramps in my legs. I was considering going to hospital. But instead I went to the BAKERY and bought 1 whole-grained roll, and ate it slowly.

And guess what!
    I felt better immediately. Blurry vision stopped. And my BSL is down this morning from 124 to 107.

Conclusion: I think I will have to slow down on this diet, and up the calorie intake to 1000-1200 and eat something like a slice of bread at least once a week. And I mean healthy bread or noodles, and not donuts or biscuits.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

If the Fast 800 doesn’t suit you, you could move to the 5:2 diet or the med diet?

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

This is not anything about the “Carb flu”. I wish people actually read medical journals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/

http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(16)00004-4/abstract?cc=y=

1 in 3 people in US (if not all OECD countries) has Fatty Liver Disease and they do not even know it. Fat does not only suffocate the liver, but also the pancreas! It freaked me out after seeing the pictures of my liver and checked my liver enzymes from these dangerous drugs I take for epilepsy!

I do suggest getting PROFESSIONAL ADVICE instead of mumbo jumbo on in these forums. People just believe everything in these web sites today! One needs to become Columbo or Ellery Queen and investigate for the true answers needed.

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Ziggy I tried the 5:2 diet, and found that it doesn’t work me. Works for 1 week, and then no weight loss for the following 3 weeks. I did give it a month. I guess only the med diet is left.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And again Weissdorn – replied on your other thread, where I recommended what you have evidently concluded which is that maybe the Med diet will suit your particular body response better.

However there is increasing evidence that for the majority of people a calorie restricted weight loss programme, kick started by eliminating refined carbohydrates, is effective in reversing type 2. Dr Roy Taylor’s research is now funded by the Diabetes Association as a result.

Many people here have seen excellent results, my OH among them.

Wishing you very well with your own path.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hey Princetonian Stud, what’s this about Mumbo Jumbo on these forums? Do you mean this forum?

If so, lots of people here who have done significant research into this subject, looking at medically documented research, not the odd Internet headline.

Best regards to you.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

to be honest, most people cannot manage to read medical journals
    they are too scientific, too technical, and too confusing

we share what we know, and we all have to make our own judgements

and we read / watch what we can and what we understand

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Princetonianstud.
    I would suggest you stop scaring people directing them to sites etc. This forum I am sure is monitored and not just supported by as you suggest those who know nothing, many people on here will be in the medical profession. It is wrong to assume otherwise, also that you know better. All the symptoms that weissdorn has indicated are typically indicative of carb flu which can go on for up to 2 weeks, but it is rectified by upping your fluid and salt intake. Also by making sensible food choices when planning your daily menu. Our anatomy is very complex, and rebooting a system that has been abused for a long time, takes preparation and effort. But the solution is very simple. But to go back onto refined carbs, then you just reverse the reversal process one has been doing.

I prepared myself for this eating plan five weeks in advance, consequently I suffered no side effects. This plan works, if the person doing it has digested all the information they need. I have as I said researched this thoroughly before I started, and in my humble opinion, the BSD book hasn’t left any thing out.

I hope you both make the best decisions for your health.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you are getting fatigued and blurred vision your blood glucose has dropped too low and you should have something to eat. Yes, you did, but a bread roll is not the answer. You could have had some full fat greek yogurt and a couple of prunes for a quick fix. You say your b/g went up, well most of us thickies here do know about gluconeogenesis and know that happens when you have gone too long without food. This normally happens during the night if you have not eaten from say 7 pm and you test your blood at 7 am. Your liver has thought you were starving so has pumped out glycogen hence the high reading. You need to make sure you have a snack prepared for when you are hungry and eat something before you go to bed. This is a diet not a method of starving yourself, also you need a certain amount of common sense. If you are really hungry eat something.

By the way, 124 is not a particularly high reading.

• posted by arjaytee
    on

Sunshine girl that is very helpful information. I have seen gluconeogenesis described as dawn phenomenon on another forum. I think that may be what is happening to me as my Fasting BS went down to under 6 for several days but has gone up again the last 2 mornings even though last thing at night it has been in the 5 range. What would you suggest as a late night snack ?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi

Please do read Bill1954’s great thread “this has to work for me” which explains why fasting blood sugar measurements are not the best indicator.

He switched to checking bs just ahead and 2 hours after, to check how his body was dealing with the effects of the food.

Doctors assess type 2 from HbA1c tests to get a more average view as fasting bloods can be an unreliable measure.

Hope this helps

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

arjaytee, I try to save a little of whatever I have had for lunch, or dinner. Tonight I had roast chicken dinner so saved a bit of chicken. However, I still felt hungry so just had about 40 grams of tuna mixed with yogurt on a ryvita. If I am hungry then I might go a little off plan but only by about 50 or 60 calories.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Weissdorn, were you eating enough? and enough fat especially? I am obese, and old, and if I feel faint, I would have a few almonds, or some avocado, not bread ( which I adore but have not eaten for several weeks now). Fatty fish is good too, a little smoked salmon will save my bacon as it were

Good luck and do not panic. Wishing you well

Some very good advice above from other posters

• posted by arjaytee
    on

Hey Ruthdownunder that makes us two old obese Ruths! Though I don’t admit to being old as I think there must be a mistake on my birth certificate! Thanks peeps for your replies. I have only felt hungry a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and a handful of nuts has done the trick .

Please log in or register to post a reply.