fasting blood sugar 8.2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I was disappointed to hear this number at the doctor’s today. Can’t blame diet for it. I am hoping that further weight loss will make this normal but am starting to think that it will not. Last hba1c was normal. Waiting to see what new results will be. I believe I have lost 20 percent of my body weight – tho I didn’t weigh exactly when i began, but definately a minimum of 15 percent. Oh well. It is all a bit depressing but will continue the bsd til I reach my healthy weight.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you are so disheartened bigeater. I’m not diabetic so am not speaking from a position of expertise, but I know for sure that there has been chatter on the forum by those that are/were, about fasting blood sugar reading bouncy back up being quite common during the BSD and that these will eventually settle.

I guess want I want to say, is please don’t be discouraged by today’s result. Keep right on doing what you have been doing, stick with the BSD and things will come right and you will reap allsorts of positive benefits. Best of luck going forward and I hope that you will soon be seeing better blood results.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi bigeater I am diabetic and had a morning reading of 8.2 yesterday which drew me to your post. Yesterday afternoon it had dropped down to a normal 5.8. I’m guessing that your measurement was not an HbA1c. If it wasn’t don’t fret random blood tests are just that, random and can vary dramatically throughout the day.

I think weight loss is important in reducing BS but it looks like a low carb diet is more important. There have been some studies were people have had bariatric surgery and their blood sugar goes back to normal almost immediately even before any weight loss.

I don’t know whether or not you count carbs but I think it’s worth doing even just for a while. There are lots of foods, especially vegetables that are low in calories but high in carbs. So it’s possible to keep your calories low enough to lose weight but your carb level might still be a bit high.

Don’t get too disheartened wait to see what your new results are.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Thanks Verano and SunnyB, the results were from afasting test several weeks ago. I do count carbs and calories, but at that time carbs could have been a bit lower. High morning readings have been an ongoing thing, but for some strange reason I thought this would have resolved by now. I just watched Prof Roy Taylor explaining details of the Newcastle Study and it is clear that results can improve until 40 percent of body weight is lost. So as I continue to lose weight, my blood sugar readings still have a chance of improvement. Hope so. Everyone is different I guess and I certainly still have plenty available to lose. Am currently giving it a good effort and hope to stick to 800 calories only for at least the next five weeks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.