Failing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Blackieb
    on

I have been trying to stick to the 800 for about 3 months and now weigh more than when I started. I am able todo it for 1 – 3 days at most and then it is as though some zombie starving monster takes over and I can’t stop eating, particularly carbs like oats and bread. And I put on all the weight I lost plus another couple of pounds usually. Or I eat something not on the plan and give up, say F** it and binge because I will “start again tomorrow” so must eat all the food today. I am particularly desperate to lose as I have 3 months to lose weight otherwise my last opportunity for Ivf disappears. I fell so depressed I can hardly get out of bed and don’t know what to do with the bewildering array of diets like paleo (tried) keto genie ( tried) and niw this one. So all those success stories make me feel even worse and more depressed. I feel like such a failure. Not sure whether I want help or just to say stuff you this made me worse… It’s impossible to stick with and I have wasted 3 precious months trying to do it.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Sometimes it takes a few tries to do something BlackieB

It took me more than a few tries to stop smoking – but I did.

Maybe instead of diving straight in to the Fast 800, you could start on the Med Diet, then onto the 5:2, and then onto the Fast 8– when it isn’t such a shock to your system.

After all everybody is different and one size doesn’t fit all and there is more than one way to skin a cat (end of silly phrases)

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I agree with Ziggy

What’s fascinating, reading these forum posts, is the very variable responses different people have to similar eating plans.

It sounds to me that your body is hooked on carbs and keeps demanding you eat them. This is what’s referred to as “carb addiction ‘ and your body is making it very hard for you to kick it.

Have you thought of trying to do this more gradually, ie rather than cutting put the refined carbs entirely, switch to a Med diet as much as you can and reduce the refined stuff – I am thinking, for example, sandwiches once a day instead of bread three times; then bread every other day, etc etc however would work?

I am so sorry the successes here are making you feel worse – but if you want to construct a plan and tell us about it, you will find everyone here very supportive.

Have you looked at Lucia’s threads where she inches her way towards doing stuff – very inspirational.

I do hope that might help a bit.

• posted by Frog
    on

I agree – except with the skinning cats anology!
    and don’t think about it as three months wasted – even if you’ve had bingy phases, you have experienced phases of eating healthily along the way. – and I am writing as one whose had a couple of inexplicable bingy weekends myself.

As well as trying less drastic intros to BSD, re-read the mindful sections of the book – have you been applying those throughout?
    If not, maybe find an app or reading that may help with that, or see if there is a local mindfulness practice that you could attend.
    Another option might be to talk to your GP about CBT to help with your attitudes to food and eating.

• posted by Arcanarose
    on

Dear Blackieb.

Reading between the lines I can see that you haven’t defined what you value most, your health or the pleasure of taste. Your desire to be healthy must be much stronger than the desire for the enjoyment of the foods you have to temporarily give up.

Once your desire for health is stronger than your desire for carby food you are ready to start the diet. However you will also need motivation to stick to the diet.

To create a strong desire for health my suggestion is to lookup the bad effects of your weight and health. Read other peoples stories who did nothing to become healthy and what illnesses they suffered from. Basically collect all the negatives and read it enough times until you desire to be healthy.

Once you have done this prepare yourself to sacrifice food for health for a short period of time.
    Prepare yourself to be strong in the face of temptation-have a strategy-see *Motivation & Reinforcement Strategy idea below

Then for motivation you need to collect all positive stories of healthy people. Then you need some positive motivational statements to get you through. Print them out and stick them on the fridge and cupboards. Here are my suggestions:

Prepare a sheet of paper in advance [because when you are cranky you cannot think straight], with the daily, weekly and end of diet rewards. Then Stick it on your fridge and snack cupboard. Here are some suggestions.

*Motivation & Reinforcement Strategy idea:

1) Only 7 Sundays left to reverse pre-diabetes/diabetes/weight-loss

2) 2 months is such a small sacrifice to reverse pre-diabetes/diabetes

4) I look hotter slimmer

5) I lose body fat nearly every single day

6) I can eat more … [Fill in the blank] after the diet. It’s not that long away. What is another 7 weeks?

7) When you are hungry you are burning fat

8) When you are hungry distract yourself-get busy.

9) When you are hungry drink water

10) Imagine going shopping after the diet. Some nice new clothes for the new slimmer body. Visualise the new you in lovely outfits.

11) Imagine the look on the doctors face after your insulin blood test.

12) Do something silly or watch something funny on YouTube to get you laughing and out of your cranky mood.

13) Hunger pangs pass after time.

14) What your mind focuses on, increases. Do not focus on hunger. Focus on something else. Chores, fun distractions, exercise etc

15) Read positive stories with all the benefits gained and health issues that disappeared from being healthy

You need to be prepared mentally and physically. Do not give in to emotional eating and desires. You need to identify your pitfalls and have a plan in advance of what to do in moments of weakness.

Check out the myfitnesspal app or website and calculate your individual daily carb intake. I found I could only lose weight if I had around 50g carbs a day and even fruit and veg add up. A higher protein and higher fat[in relation to carbs] menu ensures you feel full without carbs and lose weight.

If you wants snacks, try pickled celery and cauliflower, radishes and caper berries. They cut your appetite while feeling snacky. Good for you too. Low carb and low calories. Have a snack plan with carb and calorie information too so you know what you can eat and how much.

Good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.