Endurance Exercise – Munro Bagging

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mountainman
    on

Hi,

Anyone got any experience of endurance type exercise whilst on the BSD.

My hobby is Munro Bagging … as an example … a few weeks ago our walking club climbed Ben Ledi in the snow. A 6 hour walk with a climb of around 800m. My fitbit said that I used 4500 calories that day (probably an understatement as I was carrying rucksack / crampons / ice axe / flask of tea etc). This was typical for winter but we’ll soon be ramping up for longer walks as the days get longer. Usually 8 to 12 hours in the summer.

Just started the BSD today and I’m worried about the 800 calorie intake when I hit the mountains. Anyone got any experience or advice? Will my body cope or should I take extra calories on these days? I don’t think the mountain rescue guys will be too impressed if they have to carry me off the mountains.

BTW … joining a hill walking is a great way to exercise.

Thanks,
    Martin

• posted by Celsa
    on

I’m pretty sure you would absolutely need calories, even specifically carbs, on those days. Your body would need energy that is easy to access and burn, and I believe carbs are good for that – you won’t be storing them as fat if you’re being that active!

It makes me think of the fat vs sugar Horizon programme with the van Tulleken twins, where they cycle up a hill, and Chris (who was eating carbohydrates) fared much better.

• posted by Speedy
    on

Also my impression is that if you do this you should eat good sources of high quality protein so your body doesn’t start nibbling on your muscles for it’s calories. Is it for extended periods or an odd single day? I think that wold make a difference too. Brill way to exercise. (I live in Holland!)

• posted by mountainman
    on

Good advice … thanks guys.

I’ll try out on a couple of sandwiches with some energy gels / bars as emergency backup. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.
    Martin

• posted by BeLessThan90k
    on

I’d be really interested in how to manage a balance with exercise and bad, so be really interested to hear more.

I’m training for triathlons and also enjoy 2-3 hour bike rides at weekends in the summer (live in Manchester so use “summer” very loosely!)

How to manage a training regime with 800 calorie/day intake is a brilliant question.

• posted by mountainman
    on

I’ve been out a few times now. My absolute limit whilst sticking to the BSD is 2 hours of exercise which is the point when I start to feel very light headed.

When I know that I’m walking a full day I simply forget the BSD for the night before and eat a bowl of pasta or noodles or similar. Then on the walk day I take a normal sandwich load plus some snack bars and gels. Last Sunday was an 8 hour walk and 1200m of climbing … some in snow which is very energy sapping. I needed 4 sandwhiches (4 slices of bread) plus some snack bars. I was still running out of energy on the climbs and used 4 energy gels.

I’m still losing weight … and now that my appetite is trained I’m finding that I can get back to the 800 calories on the days that I’m not exercising. So I think that everything is working out fine.

• posted by Celsa
    on

Cheers for the update – that’s really interesting to know!

• posted by Matrika
    on

Moiuntainman…you don’t mention why you are on this diet and describe yourself as quite fit.
    I was wondering if you are diabetic or insulin resistant and are you overweight?

I have just done two hours of intensive exercise and haven’t eaten for 18 hours…blood sugar level just checked is fine.

However, I am type 2 diabetic and have very severe insulin resistance.

Not eating is the only way to reduce insulin…that is the whole point of this diet isn’t it?

Eating carbs because you are buring up energy puts a stop to any fat clearing that may be happening in your liver and pancreas, which I thought was the point of the exercise…in order to avoid the side effects of diabetes long term.

• posted by TimeForChange
    on

Hi Mountainman – Jeff Volek has done some work with performance athletes and ketogenic diets. You can watch a presentation on YouTube. It”s in the Low Carb Down Under section. The people he”s tested are doing ultra marathons and have performed well on low carbs – but obviously not on 800 calls!

• posted by Matrika
    on

mountainman,
    You could take some glucose tabs with you if you are concerned about dropping blood sugar levels…don’t know if you are diabetic but that is what people with blood sugar probs usually carry in case of hypos and they work instantly(ish).

• posted by GAVIN
    on

Hello all.
    I have been cycling for years and been diabetic for 13 years. I cycle between 25-35 miles per ride and about 100 miles a week. The only problem was that, in order to complete the ride and feel good, I would have to run my sugars at the high end of normal. To do this, I had a double espresso 10 minutes before setting off,which enabled me to complete the ride without having to fuel up on carbs.
    I have been on the BSD for 6 days now and lost 7 pounds. I have also started cycling again and am really struggling with the 800 calories not being enough to fuel my rides. I have stopped the caffeine to bring my sugars up, because the whole point of this system is to reduce your blood sugar to within normal range. I have only completed 2 rides of 12 miles and felt like an old man of 100!! I then did a 20 mile ride fuelled by caffeine and the difference was huge.
    I don’t know if I need to perservere with low mileage rides with no caffeine and build up the distances or ope that the rise in blood sugar from caffeine will be negated at the end of a longer ride.
    I know conventional wisdom states fuel a ride with carbs, but I want my sugars within normal range. I have also tried the ketogeneic eating plan last year, which worked really well, but I was still relying on caffeine.
    Incidentally, I came off my medication after 2 days and am still med free!!!

• posted by FoFi
    on

Sorry deleted – need to rethink.

• posted by JoannC
    on

I had similar problems, we go caravanning for a week at a time and it is like a walking and mountain biking bootcamp and we cram in as much as possible, I found myself flagging a bit in the Brecon beacons trying to stick with the calorie restriction so I stuck to the foods and forgot about the 800 calories, on the hills I had high protein bars, nuts and squares of dark chocolate to keep me going but still needed the odd jelly baby.

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi Mountain man
    I am training for a charity bike ride so my cycles are about 15-25 miles x 3 times a week. I also walk my dogs 2 hours a day I can not do 800 cals on these days so I just stick to med diet.
    B – omelette tomatoes
    l- soup apple walnuts
    d – fish veg, yoghurt berries
    then i feel ok. Can I ask why caffeine pushes up your blood sugar please

• posted by fathobbitnz
    on

keen to hear more ,

• posted by shalimar
    on

Who says caffeine pushes up your blood sugar ???

I googled it … and saw nothing conclusive. Some say bad, some say good. I assume the caffeine in coffee, black teas, soda pop … do have an effect depending on how much you drink … there may be a blood sugar effect of anything that revs up the body a lot

Most people, like me, drink coffee in the morning. I have mine with cream. I get moving around. I’m sure the cream and the fact that i am up and active does increase my blood sugar. Frankly if i am eating healthy and not too much my blood sugars are fine… even without metformin. When i am doing the 800 calorie plan i don’t seem to need metformin …. and i still drink coffee and cream … but i do count the calories/carbs

?????

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

As you say, the evidence is far from conclusive, but I’m guessing rather then having a direct effect on blood sugar, it is more likely that an increase in adrenaline will up the metabolic rate to support “fight or flight”

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Shalimar – being able to have my coffees with a dash of cream has become an enjoyable part of my 800 calories. Have not noticed it pushes up blood sugars – unlike my cappuccinos with real chocolate sprinkled on top. What I do feel though is that it seems to kick start my energy levels and I can exercise for longer but I only do a fraction of the mileage that others are doing on this thread.

You are doing really well without metformin. I am now off insulin and am not sure how much I will be able to increase carbs and still stay ok. Maybe when I have lost all my excess weight I will be able to increase carbs and still be ok. I suppose my pancreas and liver are still in ‘intensive care’ while the visceral fat is draining out.

• posted by shalimar
    on

KrysiaD 🙂 HUGS

You bring up a good point …. what will an increase in carbs do when we are off the 800 calories plan.

I used to curse the fact that 1 piece of toast with peanut butter just short my Blood Sugar through the roof. Now i don’t eat either … but what happens if i do????

We will have to be very careful about how/when we increase carbs.

Lots to think about.

Thanks

• posted by JGwen
    on

posted by slotpulsa5000
    on 19 Sep 2023

Reported

Please log in or register to post a reply.