Does anyone worry we are doing the right thing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Someone told me today that my results are so good because my body is closing down and I am starving myself to death. I really do have faith that this diet is doing me good but there is a little seed there!!!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t let the negativity of others derail your efforts sunshine-girl. You have been doing marvellously and staying fit and well, so don’t let the comment of negative one person put you off. You’ve read the book, understand the science, which has been born out by more than one reputable study, so stick with it and don’t give that comment another thought.

As someone else is fond of saying, ‘Keep on, keeping on’!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You are joking, right???

Please do not have any doubts.

Dr Roy Taylor, Michael Mosley
    All the low carb researchers/diabetes researchers
    – Gary Taubes
    – Jeff Volek, Stephen Phinney
    – loads of others haven’t got time to type in.
    – vast majority of successful followers on this forum

For goodness’ sake!

on

You are right, we have all done our research and are not blindly following a fad. Especially, as you say SunnyB, my results, and lots of others, are so good what have we to lose, except our fat and our diabetes. It is me that says keep on keeping on, that is my motto. I should listen to myself.

• posted by Avila
    on

The body closing down idea would be to conserve energy and weight – not an reason for weight loss. Eg extreme underweight women not having periods as the body can’t spare the resources (and not be able to cope with a pregnancy at that weight). So the comment and the logic don’t match up – this diet is backed by research and the best test of all is how you feel in yourself.

on

Okay, it was just a little wobble, I think I am worried that my doctor will be totally negative when I see him tomorrow. I will keep the faith and show him the evidence.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi SUNSHINEGIRL.I agree with the replies from our fellow forum users
    I DID have a moment the other day when i said to my DD…800 cals a day IS very low isnt it..and she said
    No it isn’t….because before BSD you probably ate around 1800 cals a day or more
    About 800 cals of it was healthy stuff and then you ate a further 1000 or so cals of junk that did you no good at all….
    And she was making a good point..we’re better off with just 800 cals of food thats doing us good and leaving out the other 1000 cals, or however much it is,of sugary,carby stuff . The foods that are a combination of sugar and fats – and often – trans fats – are worst of all.
    By ditching them we are getting healthier and slimmer – and the blood test results speak for themselves!
    There will always be folk who dont want you to do something different to how they do it! – besides which this is only for 24 weeks at the very most i think? After which we can continue to be careful while enjoying all the benefits of feeling and looking better x

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Sunshine girl, if you are healthy, fit and not light headed or starving, then your doc is going to be very happy with you! If you or the doc are really worried, then have some blood tests done – it will prove to your doc if this is doing the right thing. Don’t forget that people who have bariatric surgery (ie gastric band/stomach stapling) they eat tiny amounts of liquid food and have to take supplements and lots of people have done Cambridge and other low cal diets too.xx

on

Thanks Yowzer, what your DD says is so right. Must say that to Doc.
    Igorasusual, I have printed out Prof. Taylors notes for doctors, particularly about how the diet affect meds. I have noted the web site and have given him a list of everything I have eaten over the past 5 days so he can see I am not living on fresh air, plus I have translated it into French. I think I am a little worried if he starts to poo poo it, I won’t have the words to explain. I am looking up the French for ‘evidence’ ‘research’ etcbut it is probably making me even more nervous. I don’t want to be nervous because I want my BP to remain low so he can see that evidence too.
    Bubbles, I have had the blood tests and everything is better than good, it is great. I have the evidence to show him.

It was just a wobble, I don’t really care what the doubters say but it is the thought of having to justify it to someone whose opinion matters to me and I really want him to support me.

Thank you for all your support. I will report back after my rendez-vous Γ  demain.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

sunshine-girl, I’ve nearly completed 34weeks on 800 calories and am still very much alive – feeling better than in many years. My blood sugars are now in the normal range and I’ve lost nearly 6 stone, with another 8 pounds to lose. Keep the faith in the research and stick with the plan.

• posted by Frog
    on

getting so close Lynne, that’s brilliant.

Sunshine Girl – me thinks there was a little green eyed monster lurking!
    I was writing the other day about my weeble shaped sister in law whom I rarely see, but whenever I do, either asks me if I’ve put weight on, or simply tells other relatives that I’ve packed lots of weight on – including one occasion when I’d slimmed down to a size 12, probably the smallest I’ve ever been as an adult.
    When my Mum was alive we used to refer to the SiL as the Weeble, cruel I know…….

• posted by Ziggy
    on

@frog

Weeble certainly knows how to pull your strings. Wow aren’t some sisters/brothers like that!!!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CAPTAINLYNNE..been meaning to say since i joined here,yr story is sensational..you are a great inspiration and shining example for all of us here! Respect! X
    SUNSHINE GIRL..FROGs so right..you have to feel sorry for detractors like her sis in law..they must be rather unhappy people! Goood luck at the doctors!xπŸ‘πŸ»

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Cor, Frog, what you want to do when you are seeing your Weebly SIL is to think up in advance what snide comment she is going to come up with.

If yours is worse than what she eventually says, you win. If hers is worse, you can think to yourself that at least she is totally imaginative and inventive……:)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yowzer49 – you are so right about detractors being unhappy people! I’ve got someone who regularly makes adverse comments about my weight loss – among other things! She’s even fallen out with her own family! A very unhappy lady😟

Igorasusual – love itπŸ˜ƒ

I knew someone once who looked just like a weeble – could never look at him with a straight face! Kept thinking ‘weebles wobble but they don’t fall down’. LOL

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

Dear Sunshine-Girl,

Ask that “someone” for evidence. No evidence? Then it’s “someone’s” opinion.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

These detractors really do make me mad.. 800 cals is perfectly adequate to live on, and as rightly stated before, we are eating USEFUL calories, not junk and sugar. Plus of course, 800 cals is the starting point for the longterm change to the mediterranean diet to maintain health/weight. I’m beyond the initial 8 weeks period now (week 13-14 I think) and I don’t calorie count, just stick to the principles and have a ‘lean day’ every few days. And the weight is still coming off (not that I weigh myself!) and the health is still improving!

Oh and the other statement that really winds me up… ‘I couldn’t do that, I couldn’t NOT eat pasta/rice/bread’. What do they think will happen to them?!!! Grrrrrr..

• posted by Arcanarose
    on

Bariatric surgery does the same thing. At least this diet is surgery free, cheap in comparison and no vomiting. We do it because we want to and have the will to carry it out. Then after the diet we can eat healthily to maintain our new blood sugar and weight naturally.

on

Forget about my worries. My doctor is more than happy for me to do this diet and to continue beyond the 8 weeks. He is over the moon with my results and is going to look at the research.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Well done on converting your doctor sunshine-girl. πŸ™‚ Vive le BSD…..excuse the Franglais!!?!!

Janeycoughdrop….I can’t make sense of other people either. They say…’Wow you are looking great.You’re dieting? What are you doing?’
    Then when you tell them they recoil in horror and say it’s impossible for them……impossible??

It’s particularly worrying to see friends who are overweight, diabetic and still over- indulging in carbs.
    In some ways though part of me envies their gung ho…. ‘devil may care’…attitude to diabetes and diet.
    For me there is so much angst and worry regarding my health and my Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
    Especially where to go after the BSD comfort blanket.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Sunshine-girl – fantastic! Very very very well done, you must be thrilled first for your doctor’s reaction to your success and then that he’s going to look at the research! Double whammy!

Onwards and downwards! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Re the folk who “couldn’t possibly give up pasta, bread, pastry, etc etc etc “, when I share with people what I’ve been doing (generally after they’ve asked) I tell them and say I can heartily recommend it, but that it’s their decision to do it and I’m not telling them to. That it can be tricky in parts, but it’s doable because I’ve done it.

Latest was two of the lovely Vietnamese girls who do my nails – what to eat instead of rice and noodles????? More veg I said. Told them the name of the book and I will see in q couple of weeks whether they’ve been able to do something or other remotely aligned to the BSD πŸ™‚

But it’s a lesson, isn’t it. I think that “life is a conversation” (ie it is what you say it is). If the conversation isn’t a supportive one for you, just HAVE ANOTHER ONE.

So if your conversation with yourself is that giving up carbs is too hard, have another conversation that “it might be hard but I’m going to give it a try because I want the results”.

Lucia would agree πŸ™‚

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Igorasusual
    When people ask what we have been doing on our diet and are a bit sceptical…perhaps we sow some seeds??

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yes, ay caramba, I hope we do sow seeds …..

Please log in or register to post a reply.