Diet shakes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Big Ron
    on

Just about to start BSD and want to get the best Commercial Meal-replacement Diet shakes available in Scotland UK. Anyone got any ideas please.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Big Ron,
    I haven’t got any experience of meal replacement shakes.

In his recent Direct study into reversing diabetes via an intervention in GP practices using meal replacement shakes, Roy Taylor (he introduces the BSD and MM mentions his work in the book) used the Cambridge Diet products, I think. But I saw a lecture he gave where he said you can use any well-known supermarket meal replacement shakes. He recently reported on the results – see the link below – and in that he doesn’t identify the product but there is a breakdown of the make-up of the diet shakes he uses (% fat, % fibre etc). You could maybe try to buy something that is a good match to this. He also basically said try a few to see which you prefer the taste of

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/DiRECT1yearResults.pdf

Good luck with the BSD

• posted by Big Ron
    on

Thank you, marie123. I appreciate it.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I don’t know anything about the shakes, Ron – but good luck with your diet.

Will you be having just shakes, or some real food too?

• posted by Big Ron
    on

Hi Squidge. I’ll be having 3x200cal shakes and vegetables. Thanks for your good wishes. Hope you’re doing well.

• posted by You snooze you gain
    on

Cambridge Diet is/was firmly based on a low fat, high carb way of eating. I worked very briefly for Sue Kreitzman, who was married to one of the “inventors”. They had both lost a LOT of weight and kept it off by avoiding fats and oils as if they were poison, in fact in that respect they made obsessive look like easy going.

The Atkins shakes are ok, and readily available. I don’t envy you existing on shakes, but definitely wish you luck.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Did you check the ingredient to be sure it didn’t have sugars (dextrose, maltodextrin, high fructose corn syrup, etc.) or potentially counter-productive artificial sweeteners like malitol, xylitol, sucralose, aspartame, and saccharine? Calorie count, in my experience, is far less significant than sugar content when it comes to losing weight on this diet.

• posted by Big Ron
    on

I appreciate the info and thanks for good wishes, “You snooze you gain” and “Esnecca”

• posted by Squidge
    on

Big Ron, I’m doing OK thanks. My weight is coming down, but not as quickly as many others here. I suspect I’m eating a little too much when I estimate quantities.

The advantage of the shakes is that it should be much easier to know exactly what you’re consuming. I couldn’t stick to them though – I want real food. Still, we’re all different and this approach could well be best for you.

• posted by You snooze you gain
    on

Years ago my mother and I did the Cambridge Diet for a week. This was before they advised mixing in some solid food. It certainly worked, but what I remember most vividly is how amazing the first solid food tasted. I know it’s a really good way to keep count of calories, but not sure I could last more than a day

• posted by Big Ron
    on

Glad you’re doing well. Keep going I’m sure you’ll reach your target weight. I’ve not kept solely to the shakes, having a full healthy meal on Saturday (I started Friday 19/1/2018) instead of 2 shakes but I’ve lost 11 lbs. That is mental. I think I’ll be able to use the shakes and move to normal food as I monitor my progress.

• posted by Big Ron
    on

I haven’t got the hang of this forum yet– the “Glad you’re doing well” was for you Squidge.

• posted by Big Ron
    on

You snooze you gain– As I said to Squidge I’ve been mixing food with the shakes and already in 2 days I’ve lost 11 lbs. I’m sure you could stand more than a day if I can. Bless you.

• posted by Sadamski74
    on

Hi Big Ron,

I’m interested to know what shakes you went for?

I started last week and I’m using the Purition Shakes (https://www.purition.co.uk/).
    I’m having them for breakfast and dinner and then proper food for tea.
    I’m quite impressed as when I’ve previously done stuff like the 5:2 I get quite bad hunger pangs when I’m starting out, not had anything with the shakes.
    They aren’t the cheapest but seem very good, with a good nutrient profile.

Just over a week in and i’ve shifted nealy 3KG!!

• posted by Big Ron
    on

Hi Sadamski74
    I went for https://www.exantediet.com/
    I got a New Year deal on 120 shakes for £80 pounds ie 67pence a shake. I checked the contents and I believe for a short period they are fine. I’m not sticking to it religiously eg if we have got people booked to come and eat with us then I’ll eat what they eat but cut out anything I can from the meal that is bad for me. On the other days I’m doing 3 shakes and vegetables and maybe a small portion of protein. I’m only going to do it like this for another 3 weeks and then go onto real food and see how I go.
    Thanks for the interest and well done yourself.

Please log in or register to post a reply.