Day One

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Paula
    on

Hi everyone, I have found your posts here really encouraging. I have read Michael Mosley’s book and have found it a fascinating read – he has de-bunked a lot of dieting myths hasn’t he? I would love to lose some weight -I’m currently 12 lbs into the oversight sector. However my biggest problem is that my waist and belly fat are huge. Over the past few weeks I have cut a lot of bad carbs from diet and have tried a lot of new things. For example cauliflower rice and bulgar wheat. I just love cauliflower rice and prefer it to the normal rice I would eat. I have also upped my exercise a little and have started working on my abdominal muscles. I have lost 2 inches off my waist during this time. But I still have a whopping 8 inches to lose to get myself into the healthy bracket. On a personal level I have two big family events this year, my son’s graduation and my daughters wedding. I haven’t been able to wear a dress for over twenty years! Apart from the health benefits of course, I am really looking forward to having more energy and spurring myself to get fitter will be a good thing.

Have a good day all ๐Ÿ™‚

Paula

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Paula, welcome to the forums and the BSD way of life – because it does become a way of life!
    My biggest problem when I began this diet was skinny arms and legs but a big belly. Fortunately the belly was the first thing to shrink! I. Realised that when my jeans needed tugging up all the time!
    Like you i have not been able to wear a dress for years, I. Wore one for my son’s graduation last year ( before I put on another stone) and I looked and felt like a stuffed sausage. I recently bought two new frocks to take on holiday because I look fine in them now! In fact I feel good in them! Never thought I would say that!

You have already made a fantastic preparation for this diet and 2 โ€œ. Off your waist!!! Go, girl go!!!!

Looking forward to hearing how this goes for you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Thanks so much Hashimoto ๐Ÿ™‚ Wow, that is amazing and so encouraging! I hope I get to the day when I can feel good in a dress. I’ve even started looking at mother of the brides dresses online…fed up of looking for trouser suits with a jacket to hide my middle! I too have ridiculously skinny legs and arms which makes me look such a weird shape and very hard to get to clothes to fit. I’m hoping by the end of summer I can plan a shopping trip to the mainland (I live three hours by boat to the nearest small town) to buy that the dress that has eluded me for so many years ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for your encouragement I really, really appreciate it!

• posted by Izzy
    on

If you still feel uncomfortable about your legs and arms, wear a long dress and a shrug. I have the opposite trouble… even when I lose weight I have chunky arms and tree trunk legs haha. But long dresses and shrugs work for both ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Luck with the diet I’m a week one newbie too.

• posted by Paula
    on

Thanks Izzy, that’s definitely something I’ll be looking at :). Very good luck to my fellow newbie! I hope your first week is going well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Paula do you live in the Scottish Islands?
    Wait 6 or 7 weeks to think about what you will wear because your shape will really change in that time!
    In fact you will have ditched a few clothes by then, in all probability! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Yep Hashimoto I live in the Inner Hebrides. Beautiful here and fab for walking unless it’s too windy to stand up in! I have lost weight through the years but I have never, ever lost my middle. But I have have in retrospect had a diet that has consisted of a huge amount of bad carbs and I always feel hungry a couple of hours after meals. Even in the past couple of weeks of being sensible with my carbs I have found my appetite has shrunk. I’m feeling fuller for longer. Thanks for the advice – I’ll certainly hold back till I go I go shopping with my new shape ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Paula, it can also be a bit trickier getting fresh fruit and veg on the islands – unless things have changed a lot since my last trip to those parts!! Should be plenty of seafood though!

This diet is amazing in the way you are satisfied on very little in the way of calories and the way it makes the old muffin top disappear quite quickly – first time in over 20 years for me!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Ha, no things haven’t changed much Hashimoto! It can be an added challenge at times and of course we are at the mercy of the weather for deliveries. Thanks for the positivity – I really hope I can crack this. So looking forward to not having a muffin top ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Paula you can crack it!
    If you feel a bit rough the first few days it doesn’t last long. Just make sure you are eating enough fat and drinking 2 – 3 litres of water a day. If you get a headache just take some paracetamol.
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Hi Hashimoto, thanks for the advice. I will make sure I keep my fluids up. Day two has gone ok and I’ve been busy – I’ve surpassed my 10,000 steps ๐Ÿ™‚ Would love to sit down with a glass of wine but I’ve settled for a herbal tea instead! Feel pretty positive and I really appreciate your advice -it’s a great spur! Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Paula, Janet once suggested sparkling water with ice, lime and mint. It’s lovely.
    You can swirl a mint tea bag in the water and add a splash of lime juice from a bottle.

I cut fresh lemons and limes into slices and freeze them – so as not to waste any, but it also means I have some in stock, and the frozen slices can act as ice cubes as well. If I buy a packet of mint I put it in a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill as it roots and keeps growing. Can you tell I’m a canny Yorkshire lass? ๐Ÿ™‚

You’ve done well to exceed 10,000 steps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Wine is OK once you’ve lost the weight, Paula so you can look forward to a glass in a few weeks time – mybe to celebrate buying a dress you look great in?

• posted by Paula
    on

Great tip Hashimoto. I have just made myself a glass of iced sparkling water and lemon. Love the sound of mint and lime… That’s one to try for sure. I’d never thought of freezing them either – very canny lol and on the Island it pays to be able to stock up in advance….

Thanks Patsy, yes that’s very true! It’s certainly something to aim for. I’ll certainly feel like a little celebration if I can fit into a dress without a fat belly lol.

Well Day Two has nearly passed and I don’t feel at all hungry or deprived. It’s quite astounding how well you can eat on 800 calories. Here’s to Day 3 and thank you for your support ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Glad to hear day 2 went well Paula ๐Ÿ™‚
    I was thinking the freezing lemons/limes would be good on the island.

I got sick of wasting half lemons what is why I started freezing slices ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,….I’d never thought of freezing slices lemons/limes. Thanks for the idea hashimoto, and my weekly budget thanks you too.

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Hi, day one and I am determined to reprogram my body… I have been reading Michael”s book for six weeks and today I thought just do it…. Have some concerns as I like my wine at night and I find that I eat aimlessly at night but will look at what I can do to avoid this. Have just started reading various posts and am motivated… Napangardi

• posted by Hawks
    on

Hi Paula, Well done on getting started. Hello to the inner Hebrides too! I have a relative on Coll and have visited there and Tiree, but didn’t make it to any other islands .They were beautiful, and actually reminded me of parts of NZ in a way, but each had its own character too. One funny memory is of being mobbed by a lot of *very* friendly Eriskay ponies while out walking.

I have been drinking quite a bit of sparkling water and lime, or lemon. I find it useful for the not hungry but want to eat times, as the fizz is filling, slow for me to drink, and a good distraction.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi napangardi, welcome to the forums!
    Some of the aimless eating on a night will be due to the wine! It reduces inhibitions and makes you feel like snacking.
    Cut the wine out – I know – for 8 weeks and see the weight melt away ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Well Day 3 is here :). I’m going to see if there are lemons and limes in the shop today Hashimoto. If there isn’t the next delivery is Wednesday and I’ll be there as the door opens ha, ha. It’s a great tip isn’t it Switzerland? Good luck, Napangardi only a couple of days in but I’m finding it ok and have genuinely eaten well and haven’t felt hungry at all! Let us know how you’re getting on.

Well Hawks – guess where I’m from…? COLL!!!! Isn’t that amazing! You’re the other side of the planet, there’s only around 200 people on Coll and I’ll know your relative! I have Eriskay ponies in the field next to my house and I mobbed by them pretty frequently too. Yesterday was beautiful but today is a fair bit windier and very cold. The forecast is set for better later in the week. A few people have said Coll is not unlike parts of NZ ๐Ÿ™‚ How incredible you’ve been to Coll too – what a small world eh?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

What an amazing coincidence Hawks and Paula. Hawks you probably nodded hello to Paula on one of your walks!
    It’s such a small world ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sim14k
    on

Hi Paula

Today is my day 1 as well and instead of starting a new thread I thought I follow on from yours. Its amazing the encouragement and support you get from everyone else. Just a background – I’m 11 stone just now and would be delighted to lose 1 – 1.5 stone in the next 8 weeks. However, I have PCOS as well and it makes losing weight that bit harder. Is there anyone else who has had success with PCOS and Fast 800?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sim, welcome to the forums!
    I have hypothyroidism and could not lose weight no matter how hard I tried. If you look at my profile you will see I hoped to lose 2 stones on this diet. I didn’t believe it was possible. Some time ago I had lost 2 stones, 13 lbs and I am staying stable while I have increased my calories.

I’m sure this will work for you too as it is very hard to lose weight when you have hypothyroidism.

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Same for me. I was told I have underactive thyroid about three years ago, and have always struggled to lose weight but I’m now 19 pounds down in 11weeks. I believe it is cutting the carbs that has made the biggest difference for me.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janet when I was at my appointment this morning my friend (the pressure point therapist) told me she has had no uncomfortable bloating since starting this diet 6 weeks ago. She is trying to persuade her diabetic clients to try it.
    She thought it was certain veg causing problems until she cut the carbs out.

It’s amazing how many problems are supposed to be caused by things like fat, spice, alcohol etc. But lots of problems disappear when simple carbs are eliminated from the diet ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

Hi Sim, it’ll be great for us new folk to keep in touch – hopefully with a lot of successes. The advice and support has been fantastic. Some really encouraging replies from Hashimoto and Janet, it seems this way of eating really does help many conditions. I hope it has the same effect for you ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll look forward to hearing how you get on.

Hashimoto – yay I have lemons! Sliced and frozen ๐Ÿ™‚ No limes but hopefully on Wednesday…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cherrieanne, Isn’t it incredible eh? The world is certainly getting smaller! Could well have met Hawks on one of my walks!

Well I’m up to nearly 7000 steps so far today but the day is fairly young…. I have my evening walk to come. Very blustery and cold though so will have to wrap up well. Hope everyone is having a good Monday ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Napangardi
    Yes, we all had to wait for that green light in our heads that said GO! Glad you are on the road with us.
    Take no alcohol a week at a time. On 800 calories a day you can’t afford empty calories, they need to feed you.
    Plenty of time for wine etc when you really know what you are doing with the diet.

Read the book again & mark the salient points for you. Make a list of your favourite foods & find new recipes to try out. Also try new veg. They don’t bite ( you do). Have some fun with this diet. Look on the web for low carb recipes too. Don’t forget all the good food that’s tried & tested on the BSD site.

I drink a Fever Tree tonic with ice every day ( the quinine in it helps my cramps, which are much better now). I pretend it’s Gin & Tonic! I don’t like tea or coffee, so I have fruit teas but mostly duck’s delight – water! It’s important to keep that 2 -3 litres of fluid up each day. It really helps with your metabolism.

You can do this. Save what you would spend on booze each week & treat yourself to new clothes. You will need them.
    Eureka

• posted by Sim14k
    on

Thanks Hashimoto/ Janet / Paula! So good to hear that weight loss is possible and that losing a stone and a half is actually possible. I’ve read a few success stories and amazed at folks results but so sceptical that that would be the same for me. But I’m really going to stick to this and cut out the carbs. I love cereal so going to give that up. I’ll keep everyone posted. All the best to you too Paula ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Well day one ended well! I visited my cousin and brought tea for us vegetables stir fried in chicken stock and some haloumi. I drank water with lemon and finished off the meal with some blueberries and strawberries. I did not mention I was dieting as this would only cause rolled eyes so I am saying for health reasons I am not eating carbs at the moment. This morning I feel the better for it.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Napangardi
    Well done. Small steps. No one has to apologise for this diet. Your results will be evident soon enough!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Napangardi, well done you!
    Hope today goes just as well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hope you get the limes tomorrow Paula!

Btw, have you signed our petition? We are asking for the NHS to encourage T2 diabetics to follow this diet ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hawks
    on

Paula,
    Small world indeed! It was about 2008 or so that we were there…too long ago!

• posted by Paula
    on

How’s it going Sim and Napangardi? I’m nearing the end of day four and feel great. I’ve had a busy couple of days which has helped. Hope all is going well for you.

Hi Hashimoto – yep nearly lime day ๐Ÿ™‚ No I haven’t signed the petition but of course I will.

Hawks we may well have met! I moved here in 2006…..the island hasn’t changed too much. We now have a new community centre in Arinagour and a few houses have gone up. Been for a lovely, but very cold walk at Toraston today.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Paula, glad to hear it is still going well! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hawks
    on

Hi Paula,
    That would be funny! My link to Coll is that my OH’s aunt owned and ran the B&B. She’s now retired but still lives on Coll. I asked if she counted as a local, having now lived there most of her life, and was told that, no, she is a “married-in” so still not a local!

Glad to hear you are feeling great on the diet.

• posted by Paula
    on

Hawks, amongst many things I do on the Island – my family run the First Port of Coll – I also help out at the said B&B which is incidently managed by another Paula. I know RS and her son R very well. Such lovely people, and so interesting hearing about their time living in Africa. Also, I love RS regaling the adventures of Mr Pickles (her cat). R is amazing- she’s frequently seen at the gym! Being 80 hasn’t slowed her down…..:) Wow, this is totally bizarre isn’t it?

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Hi Paula and co. Well day three coming up. I am feeling good. To be quite honest I would normally have cheated by now but I am just taking it moment by moment… Am still on holidays so next week more of a challenge. I am enjoying sparkling water and bought a kilo of lemons so that will be my night drink. Habits are the issue for me along with emotional stress anyway, will experiment with a few dishes this week. I am weighing daily and am losing. Water I know bit it still motivates. I have three events in the next fortnight so am going to work out how to manage. I will be the driver for our local food and wine festival! Perhaps no one will notice I am not eating!

• posted by Hawks
    on

Well done, Napangardi. Habits are a hard thing to change. At nibbly functions, I just take the salami or cheese without the crackers. Perhaps you will have similar options.

Paula, Ah this is bizarre! heh yes, I see a few photos of Mr Pickles adventures.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Paula you will have to post some of R’s Mr Pickles stories! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Paula
    on

That’s such good news Napangardi! Yes I too have have been weighing and after years of being told not to weigh yourself more than once a week I am finding it motivates me. I’m starting day 5 today and I’m 4 1/2 lbs lighter ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been experimenting with food too. I’m finding bulgar wheat filling, and eggs are so versatile. Habits are hard to change – I’m finding that also, but I hope I’m forming new ones. I will be tested over the weekend at a couple of social gatherings….

I’ve woken here to a snow flurry would you believe. So back to winter woollies! Last Wednesday I spent the afternoon at a beach with friends wearing a t- shirt.

Ha, Hashimoto – Mr Pickles is a legend on the island with his antics:)

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Agghhhh it is really hard today….. I do not think I am hungry per se, I just feel I need to eat…..I logged on in order to not eat anything! Perhaps I should go for a walk….. It is frustrating as the first two days were a breeze, so I was shocked by my internal battle….I had eggs, spinach and peas for breakfast, avocado salad for lunch and some yoghurt, a handful of almonds and still I wander the kitchen…..I may go and buy some miso soup to tide me over during these moments.

• posted by Paula
    on

Napangardi, I had a moment like that a couple of days ago and a walk really helped. I have found evenings particularly difficult, I used to aimlessly nibble my way through the evening! One of those bad habits I was talking about ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yep, I think maybe having something to tide you over these moments would be a good idea. For me, a walk and a soak fills a fair bit of time and it’s surprising how quickly the moment can pass. You’re doing so well – keep on keeping on. Also spending time on here is so inspiring, I think that spurs me on more than anything. Let us know how you go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi napangardi, the book says sometimes a drink of hot water is comforting and staves hunger pangs.

Try it with a slice of lemon ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Hashimoto, I made your tofu stir fry- I did not have the mushrooms or sprouts ( the salmonella outbreak has put me off them in south Australia) but I added cauliflower . It was delicious. I have only cooked with tofu once or twice so it was a rewarding experiment….
    I do not have a headache but now two hours after dinner my tummy is rumbling….probably my extraordinary serves of vegetables. Interestingly no sign of reflux! Well back to ironing and listening to a tape…cheers

Please log in or register to post a reply.