Day 6 and no longer a lurker

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by karra
    on

Hi all, I’ve been lurking for the last week, reading all your posts (well not all, but a good portion of them), watching and reading with great interest in all your progress, and feeling like this could really work for me (self discipline required for sure). I envy those that try all these new foods cause for myself I’m a very fussy eater so it’s been a real struggle this week to find or try some foods I said I never would eat in my lifetime (yoghurt) so thank you to the lady (sorry can’t remember what your name is) who suggested Frage Brand as it’s the only one of the three I tried that I’ve managed to eat with 2 – 3 strawberries and 10 blackberries and finally after days I tried adding a couple sprinkles last night of canderel onto it and some cinnamon……lo and behold it took away the bitter taste for me, so I’m now a convert of Frage Total Yoghurt.

Anyways I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (runs in my biological family) nearly 5 years ago. Was tested for it annually for 23 years as they suspected I would eventually get it. Tried to control it with diet and exercise as I’m not fond of taking pills, well that failed, so eventually was prescribed metformin, then glicazide as I continued on with my poor eating habits (those donuts kept calling to me…..what was I to do???)

I’ve always been a fan of Dr. Mosley’s and have watched all medical documentaries he’s done, read all his books and finally decided to go on the 8 week BSD in hopes of reversing my Type 2, lowering my cholesterol and losing some belly fat as a bonus and to prove my latest diabetes nurse WRONG!
    They gave me quite the scare two weeks ago when they tested my blood and it came back saying I had high levels of potassium in my kidneys, so they redid the test, it also came back high but not as high as the previous one. I told her it was probably due to the large amounts of oranges and orange juice I had been consuming, they did a third blood test and it came back normal, as I knew it would when I stopped eating oranges, and when I say I was eating oranges it was normally 2 – 3 regular size about twice a day. I confess I’m a lover of fruit. Anyhow the nurse said if it was still high on that 3rd test, they would put me in the hospital and start me on a Vitamin K infusion. Naturally I looked that up on the net when I got home and got the fright of my life as it could be deadly, and she was sure I would have a heart attack or stroke over Easter. Guess it was the wakeup call I finally needed as it got me started on Good Friday.

First thing I did was empty all the cupboards, fridge and freezer of all high carbs foods unless it was something my husband ate, but I didn’t. Then I read what foods I should be eating and went shopping.

So here I am just finishing Day 6, my starting blood glucose was 9.7, starting weight was 9 stone 12½ lbs. My blood glucose is slowly going down to around 7.4 lowest this week to around the 8.4 mark, so I’m happy with the progress, btw I stopped taking my Metformin when I started, so I’m pleased that it’s the food that’s lowering it instead of meds. Regarding the weight I went down to 9 stone 11½ but am now up to 9 stone 13???

I’m keeping it around the 800calories, someday it’s a wee bit over but not by much, am drinking 2 litres of water per day, and because I have spinal stenosis I am concentrating on strength training until I feel my legs are strong enough to go walking, so I bought a rowing machine and an ab toner and have been using them daily, increasing the amount each day twice a day. Hope to get back on the Wii U as well at some point and have my Fitbit ready for those walking days.

Unfortunately I’m one of those unlucky people that only go to the toilet once a week, and have to resort to max strength Senokot and Cod liver oil, but they aren’t even working for me now, so whilst reading on here I saw someone mention Psyllium Husks, so looked that up and ordered some from Holland and Barrett and they arrived today……..so fingers crossed they work and the weight finally comes off.

Sorry for the long post……..eek

• posted by karra
    on

Forgot to ask my question….duh Are you supposed to weigh your Veggies?

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Depends on who you ask – and what our objectives are.

I am strictly limiting my calories to 800 – I’ve already lost 49 lbs – so losing the weight (alone) does not appear to be sufficient for me. My motive for going this additional step is specifically to take advantage of a diet similar to the one used with bariatric patients (in quantity) to see if the rapid, sudden decrease in food (or fasting) will flip my BG metbolism back to normal. The veggie salad I’m about to eat is 13% of my calorie allotment for the day – so, for me, not weighing would be a big mistake

Many here are more focused on eating the right kinds of foods than they are on following a diet that is similar (in quantity) to the diet that studies have shown has put diabetes into remission for a number of people (and some have gotten excellent results viewing it that way). In that case, it probably doesn’t matter if you weigh them.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

hi neohdiver
    Reading your posts, you probably know a lot more about losing weight than me.
    If it helps, I had blood tests taken 4 weeks into the diet, I am a long term T2D, or should I say was.
    I have stopped most of the meds and take 1 metformin twice a day ATM but yesterday I was told by the doc that I am now in the pre diabetic range and on the verge of being med free.
    Just a small demonstration on what can be achieved on this new lifestyle.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Bill that is great news. What a supportive Dr you have. By the time you’ve reached your goal he’ll be recommending the BSD to all type 2’s. 🙂

• posted by Hawks
    on

Congratulations on day 6!
    That is a great idea, going through the cupboards and purging anything that would tempt you.

Regarding going to the toilet infrequently, maybe this diet will help. I am assuming this refers to the bowel!
    One thing worth trying is eating kiwifruit. It can be very effective, not just because of fibre, but also some enzymes and probiotics that help, too.
    Don’t add it to a smoothie made with a very high speed blender blade though, as this can smash the seeds and give a bitter taste.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Bill,

I had blood tests taken at 3 months post-diagnosis. My A1c is normal (as is my lipid panel) – but it is normal only because I strictly limit my carb consumption. Anything that makes it climb out of the non-diabetic normal range has been eliminated from my diet. My BG numbers have been non-diabetic normal since 3 days after diagnosis (the first time I was brave enough to test) – before I lost any weight, and before the Metformin (500 mg ER/day) would have had a chance to make a contribution.

I also periodically retest foods I’ve tested earlier, to see if my carb tolerance has improved – and there has been no change (even with 49 lbs of weight gone). So I can clearly (at least at this stage) completely manage my symptoms by eating low carb. But I’m also clearly not altering the disease course – my hope for this change in eating!

What I’m eating isn’t really changing (aside from dropping the top-it-off fat content I have to do at 1200 calories), although I am adding slightly larger quantities of pulsies. What is different for me is the quantity and timing – which is why I tightly monitor my calories.

I’m all for sharing detailed information about whatever works – I managed to put my daughter’s chronic disease in remission for 2 decades because of a relatively random thought someone shared in a forum very similar to this one for her disease, about some small discovery they had made.

Please log in or register to post a reply.