Day 3 and time to say hello

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BabsG
    on

Having done two and a half days and lurking on the forums I thought I would say hello.

I must have tried every diet going and am a serial yo yo dieter. Two years ago I had a serious operation (which was successful) and I am being monitored by an endocrinologist to make sure that my pituitary gland is functioning properly. My blood sugar levels have been borderline diabetic and have been slowly rising.

Two weeks ago someone told me about the Blood Sugar Diet and I downloaded it to my Kindle. As I was going on a mini cruise around the Greek Islands last week (that’s me showing off) I decided to wait until I got back. In the meantime I digested the book (and loads of unhealthy food) on the cruise and formed a plan for my return. I weighed myself on Monday morning and had gained two pounds on my holiday – not surprisingly. I have now done two full days and have already lost four pounds. My husband has type 2 diabetes and is not actually doing the diet but is cutting down on his carbs so we should see a result from him too.

So here I am at the beginning of my journey and looking forward to my proper one week weigh-in next Monday.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Hello! Welcome fellow Day Three-er! I also kicked off officially on Monday although had a trial run a couple of weeks ago (which was successful until I went to New York for a long weekend – that’s me showing off back!) I’ve not been a serial dieter but I did follow the 5.2 diet for 18 months and felt better for it. Then met current OH and things started to slide, and dinners got bigger.. I have the most horrendous sweet tooth and seem to be in the ‘carbs are your crack cocaine’ category in the quiz so I definitely need to reset the blood sugar levels. I don’t weight myself but if I can get into my size 14 M&S jeans again before the end of summer I will be happy!
    Good luck – keep me posted on how you’re doing!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi BabsG
    Welcome. First make sure your medics are supporting you on this diet. It’s important for you. Remember, your pituitary gland is the leader of your endocrine orchestra. You don’t want any ‘bum’ notes!
    Glad you are hear & hope this benefits both of you

Janeycoughdrop hi & welcome to you too. You’re an old hand if you did 5:2. Enjoy the ride & get those jeans ready! The BSD will tame that sweet tooth if you let it
    Good luck to you both. Bon voyage!

• posted by BabsG
    on

Hi Eureka

Thanks for the advice. It would appear that my pituitary gland was unharmed in the operation and my medic is only monitoring it and I am not on any medication. He is concerned by my blood sugar level though and my weight. I am determined that this will work but I will be sensible about any changes in my health.

• posted by BabsG
    on

So day four has dawned and I have already lost five pounds. Last week for some reason my ankles were puffy at the end of the day which is unusual for me. I put it down to my coming out in sympathy with my daughter who is expecting a baby this week but actually it was probably fluid retention. I know that most of the weight loss in the first week is water so an added bonus is that my ankles are now behaving as ankles should.

I have attempted a couple of the recipes which have been very successful. Cauliflower rice was pronounced yummy by my husband and the hummus is great with loads of crudités.

I am not actually hungry but feel a bit peckish from time to time which I am hoping will lessen as my body gets used to low carb eating. I counteract the peckishness with drinking soda and convincing myself that any pangs I feel is the fat melting😉

• posted by BabsG
    on

In four days I have lost a little over six and three quarter pounds. In my successful dieting days I would lose about four pounds the first week and here I am losing nearly seven pounds in four days. I am very excited and motivated at the moment and really believe that I will continue to get good results.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic results Babs!! imagine what you will look like by week 8 if you have achieved so much by day 4!!! 🙂

on

Well done Babs! I don’t weigh myself but after 4 days my jeans are definitely feeling looser! I’m even beginning to like Greek yoghurt and fruit for brekkie ( altho the cat keeps fighting me for it!). Onward and upward to the weekend..

• posted by BabsG
    on

Hi Janeycoughdrop
    Think of all the calories you will burn wrestling with the cat! I’m still trying to get my head around eating full fat yogurt and haven’t progressed to Greek yogurt yet. Will give it a try next time I need to replenish stocks. Luckily I don’t have a cat to fight over my yogurt🙂

on

So my day 5 has just included my first ‘test’ – a visit to Costa Coffee. Ordinarily I’d be climbing over the counter to get to the muffins but I am proud to say I resisted and am sitting here with my small, skinny cappuccino with NO CHOCOLATE on top!

• posted by Izzy
    on

well done you guys both have made a great start!

• posted by BabsG
    on

I’m just starting day seven and I have already lost seven and a quarter pounds. I can’t wait to see what my final figure for the week will be tomorrow. We have just signed up to rent a treadmill so that I can get some extra exercise. It is too hot outside (we are expecting it to be 38 degrees) to do more than crawl to the car so a treadmill in the airconditioning seems to be the way to go.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Janeycoughdrop
    Welcome to the family and well done on resisting the muffin.
    Don’t be afraid to have full fat cappuccinos, the skinny ones have heaps more sugar and on the new eating plan (I refuse to call it a diet), you needs your fats. Don’t forget to calculate them as part of your calories and carbs as they so add up quickly.
    I’m resisting coffee altogether until I’m at my goal weight, over 3 weeks in and not one cap! Lots of herbal teas to keep my fluids up and lots of water. Now I even carry herbal teabags with me in case the cafe doesn’t sell them!
    If you’re in Australia, you can download the Easydietdiary app for free and that will keep track of everything for you.
    Let us know how you go😀
    BabsG, you are doing so well, keep it up, it won’t be long before you’ve lost that first stone!
    Welcome both to the family!

on

BabsG, I now realise you don’t live in uk! 38 degrees??? We’re at less than half that here, but I did spend yesterday walking around a stately home and vast grounds in the sunshine. Our family picnic was adapted to my new regime, and worked just fine (altho the kids dunked their mini sausages in my humus). Well done on the weight loss. As I said, I don’t weigh myself but when I looked in the mirror after getting dressed yesterday I realised my clothes were hanging differently, and my jeans belts is yet another notch tighter. Quite apart from that i definitely feel better physically.. Which is the ultimate aim 😃

• posted by BabsG
    on

One of the problems with daily weighing is that the weight can fluctuate from day to day so I decided to only officially recognise my weekly weigh in as my official weight loss. I’m saying this because I had a better result yesterday than today. So I am at the end of my first week and have lost 6.5lbs a result I am very happy with. I also tested my blood sugar at the start of the week and it was 127 (which is just over the diabetic line) and today it is 116 (which is back to pre-diabetic).

It was incredibly hot here yesterday, peaking at 40 degrees and I think I may not have drunk enough water to satisfy my diet needs and keep me hydrated due to the heat. So I am going to drink a lot more today as we are expecting upwards of 37 degrees followed by a “cold snap” when it goes down to 29 degrees tomorrow😉.

The treadmill people have confirmed that they will process our order today and then phone us to let us know when they will deliver it.

Onwards to week 2.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I weigh daily, but record only on official weighing day (Saturday). I know from past experience that the official weigh can be disappointing, but daily weighing helps me monitor my progress better.

• posted by BabsG
    on

So at the end of week 2 I have lost another 3.5lbs and my blood sugar has dropped to 112 mg/dl. In the past two weeks I have lost 10lbs and yesterday I gained an 8lb grandson so I am definitely on a high at the moment. I’m still waiting for the treadmill people to confirm a delivery date which is a shame as I am anxious to do some serious walking.

on

Congratulations Babs, on the lost weight and gained grandson! Are you feeling better for changing your eating habits? I certainly am, and the waistband is most definitely looser. I have to admit to feeling smug when I heard on the news today that dietitians now concede that telling people to avoid fat and eat more pasta is actually not a good idea after all!

• posted by Frog
    on

But then again, eating more courgetti pasta….

addicted to my newly arrived spiraliser!

• posted by BabsG
    on

Hi Janeycoughdrop. Yes I do feel better for it. I haven’t noticed any change in my measurements but I am definitely not hungry and convinced that I can sustain this for the duration – however long that is. Also had lovely cuddles with my new grandson and I can’t get over that I have lost more weight in the past two weeks than he weighs. I have lost a whole person albeit a little one😉

on

That’s a great way of looking at it! Let’s see if you lose weight as fast as that little boy gains it! I know my son used to seemingly grow overnight in the early months!!I hope your treadmill turns up soon. I really need to address the increased exercise aspect; its a case of making time (lame excuse I know). I used to squeeze in a gym session in my lunch hour but it was such a rush 🙁 I think I just need to make myself walk more instead of jumping in the car. This weekend I am at my friend’s wedding so I am giving myself a day off this eating plan on Sunday, although will still try not to go overboard on food and drink. At least my dress will fit better..

• posted by BabsG
    on

My week three weigh in showed another 1.5lbs gone making a total of 11.5lbs. I’m not noticing any change in the way my clothes fit yet but my husband, who is doing this with me, has discovered that his jacket does up nicely with no drag on the buttons. We had a couple of family “do’s” this weekend to do with my new grandson and I steadfastly resisted all carbs and felt very virtuous for it. The company we were going to rent the treadmill from let us down so we cancelled the order and will probably go out within the next couple of days and just buy one.

• posted by BabsG
    on

I’ve been doing this for four weeks now and still going strong. I only lost half a pound this week but my weight is still going downwards and I have lost a total of 12lbs. The saga of the treadmill continues. We bought one last week and are awaiting delivery.

I had a strange dream last week. I dreamt I was walking around in a t-shirt with a map of Australia on it and people kept stopping me and asking if I was Australian. When I woke up I realised that it must be because we have such a large Aussie contingent. Either that or carb withdrawal giving me strange dreams.

on

Hi Babs, has the treadmill arrived yet?! Onto week 6, and things are still going well here. Feeling good, energy levels up and on a vanity note I can get back into my NYDJ jeans after I don’t know how long! How is your grandson? Is he gaining the week as you lose it?! 🙂

• posted by BabsG
    on

Hi Janeycoughdrop, I only lost half a pound this week. This brings my total to 12.5lbs so not too bad for five weeks. My grandson is gaining weight slower than I am losing it so I am well ahead of him. I know all babies have blue eyes and they change but he has light blue eyes like his I older brother so I am guessing they will stay blue. His brother can get away with anything when he looks at me with those eyes so I guess he will too😄

I am very frustrated with the treadmill people. When we bought it they told us it would be delivered within ten days (tomorrow is two weeks). We got a phone call last week from the delivery people to say they had only just seen the order and can’t deliver it until this Thursday. We kicked up a fuss as its not our fault that they are inefficient and the manager of the shop said we, as customers, deserve the best customer service, he is very sorry but he can’t get them to deliver any quicker. So much for customer service. Anyway we hope it will come this Thursday…..or the next…..or the next.

People are beginning to notice my weight loss. Today I am wearing a new t-shirt that was a bit snug when I got it a few weeks ago and I didn’t want to wear it with my spare tyre showing. My spare tyre must have deflated as it fits me now.

Onwards and downwards to week six.

• posted by BabsG
    on

Why do the scales do that? I weighed myself on Sunday and the scales said I had lost about 2.5lbs this week. My official weigh in was yesterday and the scales said I had stayed the same as last week and today the scales say that I have lost just under a pound. Anyway I have now completed 6 weeks on BSD and have lost at least 12.5lbs and possibly some more.

The treadmill I have been waiting for arrived last Thursday and I have been using it regularly. it is so ridiculously hot outside (hovering between 36 and 40 degrees) that the treadmill seems to be the solution to my exercise problem.

I had to go for a pneumonia jab yesterday and the nurse insisted on weighing me and was very pleased and impressed with my weight loss. I also had an ultrasound of my liver as my endocrinologist says that my last blood test (which was done before I started BSD) said that there was fat around the liver. I waited until I had done six weeks of the diet in the hope that the fat has melted away. I’m not seeing him again until September and I don’t know whether I will get the result before then.

on

Hi Babs, the question is, do you FEEL better?? I’m guessing you will say yes because I certainly do! Your fatty liver will definitely be recovering as my previous boyfriend’s liver had a total fatty turnaround when I put him on a similar diet prior to his gastric band surgery; 3+ stone in 12 weeks and the healthier liver was the main benefit. I’m in this for the long haul; no 8 week ‘fix’ then a backslide into the cakeshop 🙂

Good luck with the treadmill – I think that heat would kill me if I exercised in it! I am increasing the walking and went to the roller disco with the kids last weekend. Add a bit of (reluctant) gardening and the calories are getting burned. I’m also chuffed to report that my M&S jeans FIT again! That was the benchmark I was aiming for initially so will have to find another one now!

By the way, how’s the grandson doing?

• posted by BabsG
    on

Hi Janeycoughdrop

I can definitely see and feel the difference six weeks has made.

My grandson is doing well. We babysat him the other day and we had him all to ourselves which was a rare treat.

• posted by BabsG
    on

Well, it’s not day 3 anymore it is the end of 7 weeks. This week, after staying the same last week, I lost 4.5lbs bringing my total to 17lbs. My sugar level has reduced from 127 to 112. My clothes are definitely fitting better and I am coming to the UK next week so I think I might have to buy some t shirts in smaller sizes. My husband is “complaining” that his trousers are too loose and falling down.

We went to some friends for dinner last night and explained what we are eating and on the whole they got it right but our hostess did try to force some cheesecake on us saying surely that can’t hurt. We were steadfast and refused whereupon she produced some sugar free wafer biscuits and couldn’t understand why we wouldn’t eat them either. Felt very virtuous.

on

Many congrats Babs, 17lbs and sugar levels down.. You deserve a new wardrobe, most definitely! Don’t know about you but for me the 7+ weeks have flown by! Can’t believe we’re technically in the final week. For me, this is a way of life I want to maintain though so altho I may not count cals so rigidly I’m still not going back to the old habits. Was overjoyed at the weekend when I took delivery of a (secondhand) dress in size 14..and it fitted!!

• posted by BabsG
    on

I have finished my first eight weeks a day early as I am heading off to the airport to go to the UK. This week I have lost another half pound making a total of 17.5lbs…so far. My next eight weeks will be a bit of a challenge as I will not have my scales with me so I will not be able to weigh my food or myself. My blood sugar is down to 103 from 127.

on

Well done Babs, and travel safely to the uk! I’m sure after 8 weeks on the BSD you are well and truly ‘in the zone’ and will manage food- and weight wise without needing scales or calorie checkers 😆

I’m also on the final day and we are off to London with the kids for a day out. Dinner in Chinatown is on the cards and while I will try to be good I’m not going to beat myself up if I digress a little. This is my reward for the successful 8 weeks!

• posted by BabsG
    on

I’m ten weeks in so the name of my topic is a bit out of date but, hey, it’s my thread and I love it.

I have just come back from a holiday in the UK. We travelled about a lot and lived mostly on salads (Marks and Spencer are the best), Greek yogurt, fruit, hummus and eggs. I informed all our friends about the diet so that they would not be offended when we didn’t eat their carbs. (Two of them went out and bought the book so that they can have a go) I usually weigh and log everything so it was a bit of a challenge to control portion sizes. We had a great holiday and I came back 1.75 pounds lighter and my husband lost 4.5 pounds. Official weigh in for week 11 is next Monday.

We indulged in a lot of retail therapy. Our income (pensions) come from the UK and are paid in sterling so we got one pound for our pound. Not so if we spend our pounds at home where the exchange rate is terrible at the moment. Living in a hot country I spend nine months of the year in t-shirts so I bought loads of size 18’s (still a bit snug on me) and loads of 16’s (which don’t go anywhere near me……..yet). My husbands trousers were falling down and his shirts are a bit spacious so we bought him new ones and are having his existing trousers altered as well. Thank you UK for having sales.

Happy birthday for this weekend Janeycoughdrop!

• posted by BabsG
    on

I have now officially weighed in after my holiday. In the past three weeks I have lost 2.5lbs making a total in 11 weeks of 1 stone 6 pounds. As I usually gain weight on holiday this is quite a result.

• posted by karenv
    on

That’s a fantastic result BabsG – well done! I just started (again) yesterday and it’s very inspiring reading posts like yours 🙂 And well done on losing weight while on holiday – I don’t think I’ve ever done that!

• posted by BabsG
    on

Not such a great loss this week – only half a pound – bringing my total to 1st 6.5lbs in 12 weeks. My scales showed a greater loss yesterday and I suspect the difference today is due to (ahem) constipation (tmi) My blood sugar was 105 mg/dL. When I started it was 127.

We went to friends on Saturday for lunch and one of my friends who I haven’t seen for ages commented on how much weight I have lost. She also said I am walking better. I didn’t know I wasn’t walking so well but I realised later she is remembering when we were invited to them shortly after I had recovered from my operation two years ago and the walk there was quite an effort. When coffee was served there were chocolates on a raised plate at eye level and I managed to ignore them no matter how much they winked and beckoned to me. Previously I would have dipped into them.

Since we bought the treadmill I probably am walking better as I am definitely puffing less. We were hoping to push it into one of our spare bedrooms (we live in a flat) when we have guests but it is too large, even when folded, to get through the door,. So we push it into a corner and cover it with a sheet and pretend it’s not there. Having it set up in the lounge means that I am motivated to walk on it even if it is only for 15 minutes.

Yesterday we met with my sister-in-law who is visiting from the UK and who I haven’t seen for a while and she also commented on my weight loss.

So not such a great loss this week but at least it is noticeable to others.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Congratulations! I think your weight loss sounds great!

And can I just add, are you MEASURING and using target garments? Because sometimes you LOOK thinner, and clothes are looser (or dropping off) whilst your weight remains the same. This is what people are noticing.

Can you get into new clothes? The feeling when you can do that is fabulous!

So KEEP MEASURING!! 🙂

• posted by BabsG
    on

Yes I am measuring and my t shirts are definitely getting baggy. I bought t shirts one size down and two sizes down when I was in the UK recently. Many years ago I bought a size 20 dress from Marks and Spencer in the hope that it would fit me one day. It still doesn’t go anywhere near me which leads me to believe that it is an 18 which was wrongly labeled. I only hope when it fits that I will like it.

• posted by BabsG
    on

I am now 13 weeks in and this week I lost 2.75lbs bringing me to a total of 1st 9.75lbs. Last week I only lost half a pound and I find that when I have a smallish loss one week the next week I have a better than expected loss.

My daughter moved house last Thursday and I had three of her children (she kept the baby) to stay overnight. Then they all moved in with me for the weekend. So we had a very lively time and I didn’t have much time to eat. We covered the treadmill and pushed it into a corner and they didn’t even ask what it was so it lives to see another day but I didn’t have any time to exercise although I am guessing that looking after a nine year old, a six year old and a three year old was exercise enough. When I told my daughter how much weight I have lost this week she said “So you can have the children to stay more often, ha ha”. I am appreciating the sound of silence at the moment.

on

Still onwards and downwards Babs! 👍🏼. I am moving to a more Mediterranean diet but with occasional treats (a beer or glass of wine in the sunshine while its here). But I’ve also invested in a fitness wristband which is definitely making me walk more – 33km in a week apparently! Clothes are getting looser too so I’m still on the straight and narrow.

• posted by BabsG
    on

I didn’t report in last week. Don’t know why. In the last two weeks I have said goodbye to another 2.75lbs bringing me to a total of 1 stone 12lbs in fifteen weeks. My blood sugar is hovering between 105 and 110 mg/dL and I would really like to get it down to under 100 before my next full blood test. My husband, who is doing this with me, is complaining that his trousers are falling down again.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Babs! 🙂

However I do think there is some link between this diet and the fashion industry as the demand for new clothes is amazing!!!

OH down several sizes and completely new wardrobe!

But it’s all good 🙂

• posted by BabsG
    on

I’ve now completed sixteen weeks. This week I lost another 1.5lbs bringing my total to 1st 13.5lbs. My blood glucose is definitely back in the pre-diabetic range but I would like to see it go lower into the “not-diabetic at all” range. I’ve still got a lot of weight to shift so I am sure that my sugar level will drop with the weight. In the meantime I am trying to see myself as almost 2 stone lighter as when I look in the mirror I still see a fairly fat person.

• posted by BabsG
    on

Week 17 has passed and I lost another pound bringing my total to 2 stone and half a pound.

It’s five months since my last blood test and I have to see my endocrinologist at the end of the month so I went for the test this morning as some of the hormone results take a while to come through. When I had my last test my blood glucose spiked at 138 mg/dL (100 to 125 being pre diabetic). It wasn’t that high the day before or the day after but my endocrinologist pointed a finger at me and said “You are diabetic”. I wasn’t prepared to accept that although I was prepared to be pre diabetic. I then stumbled by chance on BSD and am having amazing results. Before I went for my blood test this morning my husband tested me at home and it came out 97 – not even a bit diabetic. I am waiting for the official results and I expect my endocrinologist, who is a very nice man really, to point a finger at me and ask “Whose blood did you use for the test and whose liver did you use for the ultrasound?”

Watch this space

on

Haha, I’d love to see your doctor’s face Babs! Well done on all your hard work… the success speaks for itself! I am still happily following the Med Style diet with the occasional (alcoholic) treat thrown in. I don’t even LIKE eating bread, pasta, sweets etc anymore.. the body tends to protest! Are you still on 800 cals or more relaxed now?

• posted by BabsG
    on

I’m still on 800 calories as I still have a long way to go, Janey. I’m not hungry or feeling deprived so I will carry on until I am happy with my weight. Having said that I am a chocoholic and haven’t eaten any for 17 weeks but I can’t see that I will give it up forever. When I go to see my doctor he will want to weigh me. He may wonder what has happened to his scales and if they still work – they are the sort that you stand on and slide the weights.

• posted by BabsG
    on

This should now be called Week 20, day 4.

Firstly I have now lost 2st 2.5lbs in 20 weeks. I went to see my endocrinologist for the first time since he pointed a finger at me and said “You are diabetic” five months ago. My blood sugar had spiked for one day only (which happened to be the day of my blood test) from pre-diabetic into the diabetic range. It has now dropped back into the lower pre-diabetic range. He was delighted that I had managed to lose so much weight and get my blood sugar down so I asked him whether I am still diabetic and he answered “emphatically no”. Last time I saw him he was concerned that I had a fatty liver and sent me for an ultrasound. I waited until I had been doing BSD for six weeks before doing the test. He looked at the result today and it says that there is very little fat round my liver.

So a good result all round. I still have a lot of weight to shift and I really want to get my blood sugar level right out of pre-diabetic so I will press on.

My husband, who is type 2, has just changed back from Januet (which is very expensive here) to metformin and we will see how he gets on with that.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Babs,
    I’ve just read this thread and just wanted to say congratulations to you and your husband. What a fantastic outcome. That “emphatically no” must have given you a tremendous sense of achievement and pride. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

on

Still going strong Babs, well done! Emphatic non diabetes is great! Hopefully you husbands numbers will also drop too.

I’m actually on holiday in Spain this week so alcohol intake has been higher than in recent months. BUT desserts, ice creams and sweet treats are still not really on the radar – I’ve definitely kicked the sweet tooth. My biggest pitfall this week has been bread, , but I’ll get back on track when we get back to U.K. This weekend.

Onwards and downwards!

• posted by BabsG
    on

Thank you Snoop. I really feel that I have achieved part of what I set out to do which is to prove I am not diabetic. I’ve still got a way to go in my weight loss journey but I am confident that I can do it and also get my sugar numbers down to normal.

Janey. Have a great holiday in Spain. I too seem to have kicked the sugar habit although I am planning to make a tiramisu this weekend for guests and planning to have some – the key word here being “planning” not just randomly indulging. I’m trying to learn a bit of Spanish for a holiday we are taking in December. Hasta luego!

Please log in or register to post a reply.