Day 1 – we have lift off & questions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HealthyH
    on

Hi Eveyone,

been stalking the forums for a couple of weeks now and finished reading the book last week and figured it is time to give this plan a go.
    It seems like a great community here, who are very supportive of one another. I love reading the success stories, it instills a positive mindest in me and makes me think I can do this.

I have tried numerous plans in the past, with mixed results, the only time I have really been sucessful was when I was training around an hour a day, 6 days a week. But being a father of 3 and busy with other stuff, this was just not sustainable. I hope this lifestyle choice is. For me my motivation is my wife and kids. My wife is Prediabetic and does not seem to be in the mindset to do anything about it at the moment (no judgemental comments please) Whilst I am in the normal range, high end at 5.1, I am carrying alot of excess weight at 5 ft 8 and 241 lbs so I plan to get down to 210 as a target to start with and then inspire my wife to follow my lead.

Anyway, I have planned out my meals and am ready to do this! But would appreciate any help the veterans could offer to the following quesitions please

1, I plan to train quite hard 4 times a week and was planning to increase my calories by about 200 a day on those days, has anyone else tried this and if so what results did you get?

2, Apart from the recipes found here can anyone else suggest a good source of relevant recipes for the plan please?

thanks to any and all who take to the time to help and I hope my next 8 weeks can prove fruitful and lead to me being a healthy member of this community.

Cheers
    H

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi HealthyH and welcome.

I can’t really comment on the training question, but I’m sure someone will be along soon who can.

For recipes, many have used the recipes in the original book and now we have the new recipe book which has lots of great recipes in it.

Best wishes for your journey, and with inspiring your wife to join in.

• posted by HealthyH
    on

thanks for the response Lynne, I have seen you name pop up on many posts, your a credit to the forum 🙂

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome HealthyH

You need to take note of your own body and feelings, but I would suggest that you DON’T add in extra calories on the days you exercise.

You are changing your hormonal response whilst on the BSD to burn fat for energy and not quick release carbs. So if you exercise, but still stick to the 800 (average, you don’t have to hit it on the nose each day), you will lose that weight quicker and train your body to get the energy from those fat cells.

As you start, you may have a bit of ‘carb flu’ which you may have read about, and this can (but not always) lead to feeling a bit tired to start off with. But this should soon pass and strangely even on 800 calories (which some people think is a ridiculous level, I know) you will feel full of vim and vigour.

I did the whole BSD, exercising the while, on the 800 calories and can say that it was absolutely fine.

But of course, every individual is….er…..individual, so if you feel weak and weebly, then you may need to tweak your calories.
    The main thing is, if you do this, to try and keep your carbs (the good veggie ones) at 50g or less per day.

And just to add, absolutely no issues with your OH and pre-diabetes. My OH was Type 2 for a long time until I bought this book (I needed to lose some weight and had no idea how to do it, despite success previously) and told him that he might be able to get off Metformin if he followed the instructions. He saw me for a few weeks, joined in, and now is Type 2 ‘in remission’ on zero diabetes pills, and feels wonderful. We are loving this way of eating. 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The Diet Doctor web site has good recipes (besides the BSD book and recipe book) also look at Nom Nom Paleo, which is nearly free of bad carbs.

• posted by HealthyH
    on

Thanks for the responses thus far, appreciate it. On the exercise side of things I will heed the advice and try to stay inside the 800 calories zone and then play it by ear as suggested.

Great to have this forum to and the support it’s members offer👍

Please log in or register to post a reply.