CRAVING!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

70+ yo nanna here ๐Ÿ™‚ After 3-weeks of plain sailing and BRILLIANT results – significant drops in BSL’s – (know Im still not out of the woods but fasting down from sometimes 10 to mostly 6’s or 7’s and the MINDBLOWING 5 one morning . . . have loads to present in my case to let me persevere before any more meds are experimented with – or injections (at this point my only other avenue it seemed 3 weeks ago!) Add to that AMAZING weight “discarding” – bothersome sinus issues gone – more energy – quicker brain – sleeping better – MOST aches and pains miraculously leaving me alone . . . . no hunger with less portions and sometimes only 2 meals – and no snacks save a few nuts maybe while watching TV at night! brings me to today. Into week 4 – and while I had one night about a week ago when I had trouble after dinner with the munchies as I used to call them . . . I satisfied it sensibly and the week went on. BUT LAST NIGHT I CRAVED something dry and crunchy – (like Vitaweet or Ryvita. I resisted and had some nuts and a mini protein bar and coffee. This morning Im “feeling” flat, disgruntled, and disheartened. Of course with such great results thus far Im not changing anything . . . would just like to UNDERSTAND whats happening. Is it the body’s last throw of the dice to try to suck me into a carb binge . . .:)?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Why not put some double cream in your coffee – that is really satiating. I’d be suspicious of the protein bars, there’s a risk that there’s something in them that is working against you.
    I noticed you said you had sundried tomatoes – they can be very high in carbs which will send your glucose rocketing. The secret is to analyse everything to get the most out of this way of eating.
    Maggie

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sorry about the cravings, WoodDuckie.

I think you could be right and your body is trying to get you back to the ‘easy’ carbs it’s been used to for so long. I remember when I was about four weeks in I ate a whole box of biscuits โ€“ really just because they were there. (Christmas gift โ€“ I don’t buy anuthing like that now). I got back on track though and now, six months on, biscuits don’t appeal to me. It does take time to adjust to a new way of eating and to develop different tasytes though.

What are the protein bars? I’ve not come across those, other than some which are basically chocolate with nuts and stuff in. If it’s that kind, you might be better off without them.

Something dry and crunchy and BSD suitable is cacao nibs. They have a really strong flavour โ€“ chocolate, but slightly bitter and no sweetness at all. Not everyone likes them, but I’ve come to really enjoy them. They’re not the kind of thing it’s easy to eat huge amounts of, so a fairly ‘safe’ snack. They’re high fibre too.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thanks for the reply ๐Ÿ™‚ The protein bars were at Aldi.
    A box of 10 . . . 300gs in the box . . . so 30gms each one. Look a little like the Celebrations Snickers . . but not gooey inside. Bitterish cocoa choc covered. I cut onto 10-12 pieces and treat like chewing gum.
    Nutritional info per 100 g: Carb 9 – Dietary fibre 12 – total fat – Protein 34. Id need to eat three of these little bars to get those quantities.

‘Wil get some cream with groceries . . I dont want to have ths experience again because I nearly lost the plot . . . pacing like a lion and SO CROSS. Thanks for the sundried tomatoes tip. USually only have two pieces and dice them up, so wont do that too often.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Squidge! Not sure where you are but . . . . Thanks for your reply ๐Ÿ™‚ The protein bars were at Aldi.
    A box of 10 . . . 300gs in the box . . . so 30gms each one. Look a little like the Celebrations Snickers . . but not gooey inside. Seem cocoa bitterish choc covered. I cut onto 10-12 pieces and treat like chewing gum. And they did settle me down.
    Nutritional info per 100 g: Carb 9 – Dietary fibre 12 – total fat – Protein 34. Id need to eat three of these little bars to get those quantities.

Also read today of Apple Cider Vinegar – tablespoon in a glass of water helps to reduce BS overnight . . . any further advice or knowledge there please?

• posted by Squidge
    on

Ah, they’re not what I was thinking of then โ€“ or maybe they’re much smaller versions. The ones I’ve seen are nearly as large as a full sized Snickers bar.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

I do believe Aldi’s had single ones . . . believe larger but with different “Nutritional Info” – and way way more expensive than this “Special” bulk buy of a smaller version with much different NI. But I thank you for making me double check again to make sure I wasnt doing myself an injustice! Just chilling out today – feeling rather spent and needing quiet. I think the roller-coaster of past weeks has slowed to a halt at the gate to the next level of mind and body training . . . RIGHT NOW . . . Im sensing an acute awareness that today at least . . . I need to be super careful not to undo any good achieved thus far. And as my mind is going blank at the thought of reading any more LABELS Ill reward that request . . . its time to switch off and coast . . . just for today at least ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Squidge
    on

Checking, weighing and calculating everything can be tiring, I agree. It does get easier as we get used to what 100g of broccoli looks like, or how many calories in what we consider ‘a handful’ of nuts or whatever.

Enjoy your coasting day!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thanks squidge! Ive been kinda casual about calories and quantities thus far . . . dont believe Ive been eating enough nor questionable stuff to bother. And as BSL’s were the main concern . . . and all other benefits are welcome sideline benefits. Scrambled egg/poached egg/ bacon and egg with tomato seems standard breakfasts. Then for lunch or dinner, I have (what we used to call) a pasta bowl. Its like a larger version of a dessert/breakfast bowl. Being mostly stir fry meals . . . loads of vege and diced or sliced meat . . . half to 2/3’s in that maybe is a generous meal. If it is poached salmon with salad . . use the same bowl and just add the hot salmon on top of the leaves and whatever is mixed in them. Sometimes some unsalted cashews go into the stirfry – sometimes they are a snack with a cuppa. Usually at night. And thats about it. A grill of course is usually on a plate and maybe that meat maybe a larger portion – but then THAT is a reat for me because I have always been a carnivore! Salads and veges have always been difficult food for me so Im VERY proud of what Im now eating ๐Ÿ™‚ AND SO CLAD for everyone here to talk to!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

WoodDuckie – your meals sound absolutely delicious and so healthy. You are doing so well.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you KrysiaD . . . every bit of encouragement is keeping on track right now because the next set of blood tests are due and even though current readings are way way lower . . . Im NOT feeling confident about medicos enthusiasm to allow me to continue with this diet change and see what happens. SURELY such MASSIVE improvements must be (not only) recognised . . . but allowed to be investigated further . . . If Im supposed to have been either pre-or diabetic for SO LONG . . .another three to six months wont make much of a difference? (Or so I think . . .) With eyes, feet etc checked and no sign of ANYTHING there . . . Im not ready to give in. Nor do I want confrontation. Think this is adding to my feelings of (maybe a little) anxiety right now.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I agree that your meals sound healthy and delicious.

If your doctor seems to be pushing you into medication you’d rather not take, perhaps it would be easier for you to write your feelings down for them, rather than have a confrontation? You could explain what you’re doing, the results you’re getting and your wish to continue, and ask if there is any serious risk to your health in continuing as you are for another few months. If they’re really unsympathetic to this approach and you feel you’re not being listened to, it might be worth asking to change doctors.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Excellent advice from Squidge. You might also find it helpful to print out the information for professionals PDF which is under the Resources Section. This PDF explains to your doctor what you are doing and the research that backs it up. .

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you so much . . . Im going to see her again soon . . . I have tee’d up a change of Endo. One I KNOW is supportive of this programme . . . the one I had been allocated apparently is a script person – via the grapevine. Im guessing the chat then will clear the air a little . . . but sadly . . . when I last visited and asked for consideration given I thought carbs were an issue . . . Im a little anxious to say the least. She has been a wonderful support though many challenges Ive had previously and I searched high and low for a good one 6 years ago . . . truly believe she felt she had to do something right then and there to save me getting any worse. And the only other (reasonable) Doc in that clinic is on her page. Guess Ill just have to out my big girl panties on and be brave. But ty all for support and advice. It hasnt been dismissed nor taken lightly.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi WoodDuckie – you are doing wonderfully! I really hope your doc will be willing to give you 6 months to turn things around, particularly in view of the results so far which speak for themselves. You could ask her if she’s heard of the BSD and may be take her a copy of the book to have a look at along with Krysia’s suggestion?
    Also, ever thought about making yourself some seed crackers? They’re ideal for crunch/biscuit mouth hunger, particularly with a bit of soft cheese, smoked salmon, capers or chicken and pesto. I’ve kept the seeds whole and also whizzed them up for a smoother cracker, depending on what I fancy. Here’s the recipe:

Simple to make and totally customizable, these multi-seed crackers are so delicious and so addicting, you
    just may never need to buy crackers again!
    Course Snack
    Cuisine American
    Prep Time 20 minutes
    Cook Time 1 hour
    Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
    Yield 20 large crackers
    Calories 71 kcal
    Author Linda Whittig
    Ingredients
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup Flax seeds whole, raw
    1/2 cup Chia seeds whole
    1/2 cup Sunflower seeds raw
    1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds raw
    1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
    Your choice of seasonings such as black pepper, chili, onion or garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, or
    thyme
    Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 350ยฐF.
    2. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together plus whatever additional seasonings you might want
    and stir until combined.
    3. Let sit 10 minutes to allow the flax and chia seeds to become somewhat gelatinous.
    4. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment and spray with cooking spray. Spread mixture out,
    pressing until the sheet is less than 1/4 inch thick.
    5. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and slice into crackers (a pizza cutter is super-handy).
    6. Carefully turn the crackers over and put them back in the oven for an additional 20-30 minutes.
    7. Stored in an air-tight container they will stay fresh for a week.
    Good luck!
    Kazzee

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you so much! They sound really versatile and tasty! I went to Doc today and regular medic was on holidays. Another there looked up my record – almost demanded to now why want I taking meds when I had been diagnosed as diabetic in April/May . . . then wanted to know if I had already got a referral to one Endo why did I want another to someone else . . . Gosh it was like an inquisition. I did my best to explan we had been looking into all aspects like eyes, feet Nirse, Advisor etc etc etc and ow we were doing Immuno and Endo. Then I said . . . Ive lost around 10 kgs – (thats an estimate! and maybe a little exaggerated but . . . I know its a lot ) – and BSL’s have halved – simply by giving up oats and crispbreads. He replied OH WELL YOU ARE MANAGING IT WITH DIET . . . and I quietly replied . . . I believe so . . . (Didnt enlighten him I was not Doc!) but even MORE surprised he seemed like he understood the carbs thing!!!!! Anyways, I have my referral to the Endo whom I believe is on board with this eating programme . . . and have 8 weeks before the blood tests are needed to be taken . . . and another week before that appointment. Fingers crossed. Had ginger and chilli king prawns and stirfry for dinner and have taken a few deep breaths at a not so bad result.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

WoodDuckie – well done for standing up for yourself and explaining to the doctor exactly what you are doing in such a clear and concise way. A good result all round.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

WoodDuckie – am very pleased to hear he understood the carb thing! KOKO! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, WoodDuckie! By “Endo” are you referring to an endocrinologist? I’m a little confused (American!) because “Endo”
    here is the brand name for a large pharmaceutical company…Excellent result for standing up for yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ Brava!!!

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, WoodDuckie! Brilliant that you got him to understand.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you EVERYONE for your encouragement. Yes Alliecat, Endo is an Endocrinologist . . . (in my lingo) I try to shorten things for ease of tonguetwisters. ๐Ÿ™‚ and given there have been some long words repeated over and over these past few months . . . Im also getting very sick of being on this merry-go-round. As an older lady, Im also feeling a little bit invisible – in some arenas . . . kinda like from behind a fascade . . . of sometimes just tolerance or being humoured. I live alone an take all these appointments alone. There is no one there beside me to also ask the hard what if questions. . . or make a request on my behalf. Almost a sense of – “well youve been diagnosed as a diabetic – (according to the blood tests) – why wont you simply accept this and just “take the pills”. “Why are you pursuing all these avenues . . . just accept”. There have been a couple of people who have (in their own way) – given indicators Im working it out for myself . . . and Im so grateful for them in my life. Im also missing the emotional and physical highs of past weeks . . seems like Im now in a lull . . . and plodding. Guess we cant all high-fly for extended times or our wings hurt ๐Ÿ™‚ Re the (other) Doc I was assigned with mine on leave, my impression was he DID understand the carb thing . . . BUT. . . didnt elaborate on it any more than just a dismissive . . .”oh well it IS being managed by diet”. . what I wanted to say was . . .”well if you KNOW about carbs . . . WHY HASNT ANYONE ELSE SAID ANYTHING – !!! or you elaborating more NOW? I’M doing this avenue MYSELF – with assistance from anonymous people I have grown to call friends – and a book . . . not any medical help.” Given I NEEDED something – THE REFERRAL!!! . . . I glued my lips as he began typing ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Im sure he did ๐Ÿ™‚ BUT its like it is a taboo subject. “If you can snag another onto pills then dont mention they might not have to take meds if they just try taking out carbs”. Seems THATS the response IM sensing/getting . . . Now if it is through ignorance – Id be willing to educate them . . . but Im sure there is medical papers in journals and their own mailings of the latest info on this and that – so I dont believe it is ignorance. Not that many people in the medical profession could have missed the memo. Or else they are borderline negligent – disinterested in something which may be too hard to be bothered with . . .or police . . . either way Im getting VERY disillusioned . . . . Im so grateful for everyone here. At least Im feeling like Im being heard. THank you so much xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Im SURE he did but Im getting the impression as I “do my rounds” that (the carb thing) is either “OMG she has discovered the golden key – DAMN thats one who escaped the net!!!” – or if they DO KNOW about it, is it considered a “quack” idea OR – worse – too hard to suggest or even wait around for (maybe) a change in direction for the patient – which may or may not happen. Cant imagine SOMETHING good wouldnt happen! (If the oatient was motivated of curse) . . . Im still in awe of my diet being APPROVED by three people as GOOD – and those SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP! Surely????? Well Im now guessing, if Oats, Crispbread and sweet potato are allowed on the “balanced diet” – why would they? And basically oats, crispbreads, the odd piece of sweet potato, coffee sachets, and my oldfashioned “mum and dad” recipes of hambone/beef/chicken based with dried soup mix and split peas homemade soups are all that have been eliminated. I know Im not out of the woods yet but . . . why not at least offer this as another test to SEE if the BSL’s can be changed before meds of any kind? Im doing my best to push the odeous idea of pharmaceutical companies stranglehold on us all to one side . . but it is becoming harder and harder. Ignoring this SIMPLE, PROVEN avenue to at least TRY is either neglectful or lazy. Its not like we are asking them can we eat crushed feathers, or ride a unicycle to Mars and see if that helps. (Maybe that last bit shows my frustration, confusion and anger right now . . . ๐Ÿ™ – thanks for reading xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.