Couscous

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Galleyslave
    on

Is couscous classed as a natural carb? Can I eat it on this diet or should it be avoided? I prefer it to spuds and I find it ideal in salads.

• posted by Frog
    on

couscous is made from wheat – so not a lot different to eating pasta
    depending on how much you are restricting your carbs, you may be able to include small quantities, but best avoided – much the same as pasta, rice, potatoes & bread.

• posted by Galleyslave
    on

Thanks, do you know of suitable alternatives

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You could try a few beans (red kidney, cannelloni beans etc) or lentils but both are also heavy on carbs.

I know this won’t sound helpful, but can you try having more salad rather than thinking you need something to bulk it up? We would always have had a refined carb – potatoes, pasta, grains- but now don’t add it. And often we say to each other – you don’t really need it, do you.

If you can get out of that instinctive habit – it helps.

Try adding a bit of feta cheese, cut into small dice, to your salad. It really is lovely. And fills you up.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If you have a food processor, try the cauliflower couscous as an alternative – just chop the cauliflower into florets, pop in the processor and blitz to tiny pieces. This can be added to salads, used as a side with meat and veggies or you can add chopped veg, pomegranate seeds, little chopped cold meat or diced cheese, pine nuts etc, dress with a little olive oil and lemon juice and you have a great lunchtime meal.

• posted by Frog
    on

Lots of supermarkets sell pre-blitzed cauliflower if no food processor – or you’re in a rush.
    Like any supermarket veg chopped tiny (courgetti, spiralised butternut squash, etc), I’d recommend using it quickly – because it’s cut so small, it doesn’t have quite such a long shelf life as whole vegetables. I’m not sure if they freeze, either the whole packet or in portions – never enough space in my freezer to try it out!
    I have spiralised courgette in lots of my salads now – not something I’d tried pre-BSD.

Please log in or register to post a reply.