Confused about fruits

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdie
    on

I have just bought the BSD recipe book, and looked at the store cupboard list for dried fruit and found apricot and dates recommended. Then in the fruit page 192 grapes are listed as low sugar, and dates and raisins can be used as sweeteners. I am really confused! Either these fruits are high sugar (as listed in other GI type diets) or they are not high sugar. As fruit is probably the rogue source of my high blood sugar that I was completely oblivious about, I need to understand the role of fruit in the BSD in order to get my eating habits right. Can anyone demystify this for me, please?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am not sure it helps demystify anything, but dates, particularly medjool dates, grapes, and I think raisins have different properties when eaten than other higher sugar fruit due to their Sirtuin activators. I tend to use them in preference to fruits that do not have this advantage, as they have been linked to speeding up rather than slowing the metabolism. I think apricots and apples are also relatively rich in activators.

• posted by Birdie
    on

Thanks Frog. Really helpful, I Googled sirtuin activators and some of my favourite things are on the list! So raisins because they a dried red grapes, so that’s good, and I will take it that apricots and dates are the same. So, everything in moderation, but these will now be part of my home made meusli type breakfast that I am experimenting with making. It might even make it to the recipes page one day.
    Birdie

• posted by Birdie
    on

Lovely idea. Thanks. Birdie

• posted by Birdie
    on

Um, new to posting too. Thanks for the info Mixnmatch!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Sorry Janice

I think you need to sort your website out. It has a lot of potential security issues. I wouldn’t open this site on my own PC and would not recommend viewing it to others.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi JulesMaigret – I reported Janice’s post and it looks as though it has been taken down. It was advertising. Before you posted I had already looked at the website – do you think I have caused problems for my computer.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

No, I think it was just badly coded, but it certainly wasn’t the sort of one you’d want to put your bank account details into!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you for replying so quickly JulesMaigret. The Tech people removed the post very quickly – which is good.

Please log in or register to post a reply.