Confused about calories and when to come off medication

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Salty
    on

Hi guys,

I’m about to see my doctor to see if I can start this diet and coming off my medication prior to starting on Monday, I’m just a little confused with some things, firstly, is it recommended to come off the medication prior to starting (400 mg of slow release meteor in per day) and just blood test every morning ?
    Secondly, calorie count. I have absolutely no idea how to calorie count with certain things, how do I manage this with salad and nuts and other ingredients in the recipe.

I apologise in advance if this is already on a post here or if I’ve missed something in the book !

• posted by Onahealthyhigh
    on

Hi Salty,
    Welcome. I’m certainly not an expert, nor am I diabetic, but I’m sure you should remain on your medication until your blood sugars lower. I’ve noticed others on these forums reducing/increasing medication according to their blood sugar readings whilst following this diet.
    Regarding calorie counting. If you follow the recipes on this site or in the book by weighing and measuring ingredients, calorie counting will take care of itself. I have downloaded an app to help. I weigh or measure all ingredients and enter the details into the app which then displays the calorie count and carbohydrate content. I use EasyDietDiary, a very simple app. I’m in Australia but read others have downloaded it in the UK. I’ve tried other apps like MyFitnessPal but prefer the simpler EasyDietDiary.
    Hope this helps.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Salty,
    You can start the fast 800 while still taking metformin because it doesn’t cause hypos. The book recommends that ideally you should talk to your GP before starting. You might need to download and print the info on Prof Taylor’s research to give to your GP. The link is in the book, or just write down the link for your GP to look up.
    It’s best to take your fasting blood sugars and an occasional random one a few times a week. This will give you an overall idea of what is happening with your blood sugars throughout the day. Then you will learn what types of food affect your sugar levels and what size portions you can have.
    Use the next 8 weeks to learn more about your body and how to manage your blood sugars.
    We can help with food, recipes and tips and share our experiences with you. Everyone on the forums helps out and offers support and encouragement.
    Lots of us use an app to track our daily intake as onahealthyhigh said. You could get a book or search online for calorie counts of foods you are eating. It does mean weighing and measuring food but it is surprising how quickly you get into the swing of it.
    Wishing you success, keep posting your progress 🙂

• posted by Salty
    on

Many thanks for the advice. Will talk to the doctor regarding medication and will find an app regarding calories. Let’s get it started !!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Go Salty
    You’re taking the firststep to getting off those meds
    Best of luck on your journey.

• posted by Salty
    on

Thanks buddy

Please log in or register to post a reply.