confused

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bellanon
    on

Hi All,
    I have some questions:

Approximately How many grams of each, protein and fat should be eaten daily?

Why do some recipes, like the yogurt with apple, mango and hazelnuts, (page 171 in the BSD book) already have over 50 g carbs? That’s only one meal.

Was looking at the full, 2% and 0% fat Fage today and they all have the same amount of carbs per serving. So I guess that means we can have the 0 and get the fat elsewhere?

I appreciate the support.

• posted by shalimar
    on

All it says on page 171 in my book for yogurt with apple, mango and hazelnuts is 180 calories. I have no idea where you are getting the 50 carbs from … is that for plan unsweeted yogurt?
    I have no idea how many grams of carbs, proteins, fat, etc. is a good balance …. maybe someone else does.
    On 800 calories, or even a bit more …. you can hardly go overboard on anything.
    I’m going to aim for veggies and greens, and a little of complex carbs from mainly beans, lentils… and maybe a plain unsweetened yogurt with berries for a treat. And a bit of olive oil, butter, cream, avocado for fat.

• posted by shalimar
    on

SEARCHED the topic and found this sensible post.
    __________-
    posted by orchid
    on 5 Mar 2016 at 17:49
    Reply • Report post • permalink

Hi,
    I suggest you look at the thread ‘How many carbs’ and ‘losing belly fat’ where there is more background.
    I think is really depends on the individual (male/female/activity levels/overweight or not). I have been on the diet 4.5 weeks and for the first 4 was concentrating of the 800 cals per day. I then saw a few threads where people were saying that if you get stuck on weight loss, you may need to lower the carbs. I was not stuck, but it was a step change, eg no weight loss two days, then a drop of a kg. I looked at my daily percentages and they varied a lot day by day. Like you I went looking how ‘how much is recommended’ so I had the right proportions.
    I thought I had seen 30% carbs in book (ie 60 grams carb per day) and there was a thread (How many carbs) that has this advice (with thanks to janet1973):
    100-150 grams per day: This is a decent maintenance range, and is good for people who exercise a lot.
    50-100 grams per day: This should lead to automatic weight loss, and is a good maintenance range for people who don’t exercise that much.
    20-50 grams per day: With a carb intake this low, you should lose weight quickly without experiencing much hunger. This carb range should put you into ketosis.
    I decided to set my target as 60 grams as I did not intend to go into ketosis. I was not as worried about protein and fat so was happy if they were 35% each. I started to make changes last week and have steadily lost weight over the week day by day – an improvement on the step changes of before.
    However! What I have seen this week is a lot of water loss, and headaches. Accidentally (I entered something into my calculator incorrectly) I only had 25% carbs yesterday and I had cramps through the night!
    I may well be that the 60 grams for me is too low and that my ketonic boundary and I am sitting on it, confusing my body (see losing belly fat threads from pmshrink).
    I have just found a website that suggests the following (inactive-active);
    45-65% Carbs
    10-35% Protein
    20-35% Fat.

This last week I was averaging 30%:35%:35%.
    I am going to up the carbs to 70 grams to avoid the cramps etc. and will see how that goes. As I said to begin with, it will depend on your own makeup so I suggest you adjust a little each week and see what works best for you.
    Good luck!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Shalimar
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com is a site that Igor often recommends – I have used it and thought it was useful.
    You put in your personal details , target calories, carbs etc, and it comes up with recommended fat and protein

When I was aiming for 50g of carbs, it came up with 45g protein and 50g fat (or vice versa) – I mentally remembered as pretty much 50/50/50. TBH, if I am counting carbs and calories, I tend to stick to BSD principles and let the other stuff fall out by itself.

You can then use the targets that the keto site gives as goals in Fat Secret/My Fitness Pal or whatever you are using to track.

Personally, with any recipe, I always calculate the calories, carbs etc from the ingredients that I use – I often vary recipes that I use, and invariably adjust the quantity that I make.

• posted by Bellanon
    on

I am using a food tracker app called My Plate. It supplies the carbs protein and fat for each food item. I can see how many of each I am consuming daily. Apples and mangos each are near the top of the list of fruits with higher sugar content, even though the carbs are complex. Additionally, I do remember reading to avoid tropical fruits.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks Frog, Orchid and Bellanon ….. i was actually trying to find this information a few months back!!!!

THANK YOU

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just run the keto thing again – my weight has fallen since I first did it, and I am now aiming for lower carbs.
    now the ideal mix for me, given the 30g carbs, is 50g protein and 54g fat.
    If the link doesn’t work, cut & paste the web address.

Irritating with fruit isn’t it – I bought some delicious cherries yesterday without thinking about the carb content – they are VERY moorish, but equally carby!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks everyone!! Lost 10 pounds this week 🙂 🙂 🙂 Just got organized and wrote this down in my new daily planner!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.