Coconut flour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Has anyone tried using coconut flour as a “dressing” for fish? I’m thinking dipped in egg, dusted with coconut flour then fried? Just a bit tired of steamed poached or baked fish. I’ve got a big bag I bought for the cheesy scones which were horrid so I need to use it up some other way.

• posted by tamznlaws
    on

I would’ve thought it would make it sweet. I tried the bread it was awful. Nearly a full bag going to waste

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I have seen it mentioned somewhere as a coating for fried food. Perhaps try a small piece first ?
    I love the flatbreads, especially with cream cheese and strawberries 😉

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Scotgran – sounds like and interesting idea to me. Why not add some spices or herbs to the flour before coating the fish? I’m thinking maybe sumac, crumbled dry tarragon or dill, hot paprika or even a pinch of ground cumin and coriander. Coconut and fish works – think Thai cuisine. If you do try it, let us know how it works out – might even trying for myself.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’m thinking coconut prawns – lots of them, oh dear I’m hungry now.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Might just try that for lunch Bill!

• posted by Scotgran
    on

SunnyB mixing in some spices sounds like a great idea. I love Thai food so this is worth a shot. Bill coconut prawns, sounds good.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Coconut prawns were YUM!! Had some I didn’t use for dinner last night, so decided to have them for lunch. Dusted them with coconut flour, a little hot paprika (a personal fav) and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Fried them off in butter – delicious with a squeeze of lemon. Will definitely be doing those again. Thanks for the idea Bill.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

SunnyB spot on re sesame seeds. Mine are garlic infused ( got them in Hong Kong). The best deal at the fish counter today was salmon. I mixed two teaspoons of coconut flour with one of sesame seeds and mixed it with the zest of half a lime. I fried it skin side in a little butter then flipped for a second or two to coat, flipped back to spread the mix on, flipped back to coated side for a few minutes. A lot of flipping. Squeezed half a lime over before serving. The result was flipping delicious. I’ve almost got indigestion rushing on here to rave. I had it with cauliflower rice sprinkled with chilli flakes and half a courgette cut into ribbons and steamed. A sure fire keeper! Can’t wait to try the prawns.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That sounds really tasty Scotgran. Will made a note and try that myself. It’s amazing the variety that can be squeezed into this diet! And great that everyone is so keen to swap ideas, so we can all benefit.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Got some nice big raw prawns this morning, doing the coconut prawns tonight!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope you enjoy them – let me know how they turn out.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Coconut prawns sounds just the thing when I have the munchies.Just hope I don’t burn the house down!

• posted by Kat in Oz
    on

Flaxseed ground (you can buy it) is a Great coating for anything you want to fry……plus it’s good for you too and carb-free.

Please log in or register to post a reply.