Can we talk about Iron?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Hi all,
    Firstly, can I say a massive thanks to you all, I’m on day 10 and I don’t think I would have got this far without you. It’s fascinating to read about your journeys and I think you are amazing for taking control. As it was chucking it down we had a family day shopping today, I was so pleased to discover my lovely new flatter tummy, but still have a long way to go. I’ve also been logging my meals on my fitness pal and notice that my iron intake is really low….
    I don’t really want to take supplements, so has anyone got any tips.

• posted by M2019
    on

Hi On A Mission.
    Congrats on the progress made so far !
    My go to Iron food is cooked spinach – its also a great bulk food if you like to feel full.
    I throw it in with eggs for breakfast and then with my protein for my second meal – I usually go for quite a large portion with a splosh of balsamic vinegar which gives it a taste lift or I throw in some garlic.
    Hope this helps !

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Yes spinach is great. I just had a quick look and mussels (if you like them!) seem high in iron (if you wanted occasional bump up). I also saw that tannin in tea can inhibit absorption of iron if you are concerned about not getting enough. Well done on your new silhouette after just 10 days!

• posted by On a mission
    on

Great stuff thanks- love both mussels and spinach. I had very low iron levels when I was pregnant. My dad brought me a bottle of ginuess each week and half a glass sorted me out. Is that a complete no, no?

• posted by M2019
    on

Hahhaaa – like your Dad’s style ! We used to give it to horses if they were low on iron too – its a multi purpose tipple !

In this instance, you may find it takes too much of your calories and carb allowance – booze in general also slows weight loss down (boooooo).

But this is your diet so ultimately its up to you how you manage your needs within the confines of this way of eating. It needs to be sustainable, even on the 8 weeks approach !

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I just googled “mussels coconut milk” and that came up with some very tasty sounding Thai-inspired recipes (using fresh mussels which are a bit of a faff to scrub and de-beard but am sure prepared ones would be equally tasty – and easier to get accurate weight!). Maybe not the lowest carb wise, but sounds tasty, and light coconut milk would I think reduce carbs, and as that is more watery, would make more of a broth – and some wilted spinach would also go well with it. I might experiment later on in the week and report back with more precise breakdown of carbs/protein/cals (though those would not be guaranteed!).

• posted by On a mission
    on

That’s sounds delicious 😋
    It’s a few months until we get fresh mussels here, but I will shop about and see what we can come up with.

• posted by On a mission
    on

M2019
    Horses _ who knew. Actually my Dad did work on a farm up until his 30’s, now I feel like a thoroughbred 😂😂😂😂

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Also look at 90% dark chocolate for iron – obviously in moderation! – but just a square might also help your intake overall – presumably though you aren’t actually anaemic? It’s common in pregnancy (and breastfeeding) to go that way, but obviously if it is an issue for you now, you may need a supplement. Need to stay healthy!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

I remember my mum telling us how the new mums on the maternity ward would be given a glass of stout each evening, I’m guessing for the iron (1950s this would be).

I used to love Guinness exactly for it’s lovely iron-y flavour. Now, I love spinach! – absolutely no idea what that says? my body knows what it needs even when I don’t ? anyway, thanks for reminding me about the iron thing. I’m going to try out your suggestions.

I enjoy seafood and like mussels so might check them out, too.

I didn’t know that about 90% dark chocolate and iron. I grate high % dark choc on my raspberries and yoghurt which I really enjoy, but yes, I’ve learnt generally chocolate and moderation aren’t 2 things I can make work together – sadly.

• posted by M2019
    on

Oooh, now I fancy chocolate – for health reasons, obvs…..

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Yes, me too – oops xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hahaa! Let’s not run off the rails today, cuties! 🙂

From the website health.facty.com, a list of the top sources of iron: Lentils, chickpeas, spinach, soybeans, oysters,
    canned clams, liver, sesame seeds and yes, dark chocolate!

• posted by On a mission
    on

Okay everyone; we need to put the chocolate back🏳 🏳 and get the chic peas out 🥗🥗
    (I think this is the only healthy emoji)
    I keep mine in the freezer – where do you stash yours?? 🤪

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I did say just the one square (ok, when I take a bit it tends to break at 1 1/2 squares…) and in moderation!

• posted by M2019
    on

I have to keep my chocolate in the next postcode…..I also love that dark chocolate with a bit of salt in it……..

*whimpers*

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Oh M, that made me laugh out loud! I am sorry to have raised the subject!

• posted by On a mission
    on

It made me chuckle too.

• posted by M2019
    on

🙂 it was my awesome good news item for the day when 6T said it was good for iron levels !! Spinach can go and whistle !

• posted by Jennie10
    on

sixturkeys – I think I might be the guilty one here.

M2019, that’s a great system you’ve worked out there!

Allie – thanks for those sources – I’d forgotten about liver, too.

On a Mission – I was interested in what you said about noticing your iron levels were low on MyFitnessPal. I’ve always used fatsecret but I’ve only ever looked at cals, carbs, protein, sugar etc. I wonder if it gives micronutrients too. Must check.

Please log in or register to post a reply.