Can I carry on after 8 weeks?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Lost 7 stone previously using shakes (over 6 months – Lighterlife) but over 10 years have put it all back on. Starting today but this time with food on BSD. Can I carry on after 8 weeks? I cant see why not but haven’t seen any mention. I know this BSD is primarily for people with High Blood Sugar but I need to lose almost 9 stone and have tried every low fat diet, WW, SW and others to no avail. I hope this will work if I am able to carry on past 8 weeks….?? Grateful for any input.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi, LadySusan, and welcome to the forum. If you are serious about BSD, you have come to the right place, as we are a friendly, supportive bunch and between us we have amassed so much experience and knowledge which we are only too happy to share.
    Yes, you can continue with BSD800 for as long as it takes, and many on here have done so and testify to the fact that it works. Some people prefer to take a short break between 8 week rounds, doing a version of 5:2 in between, but I think most of the current maintainers, some of whom have lost 10st and more, went straight through until they reached their target weight. I did 2 back to back rounds, reached target and have been maintaining for almost 10 months, as have many others, who I am sure will be along to offer you advice.

Remember to stay very well hydrated (drink as much water as you think you possibly can, and then drink more) and also remember that low fat is your enemy. Remember to count carbs as well as calories, it may help to use an online app such as FatSecret or MyFitnessPal to log everything and take the hard work out of calculating .

Good luck, shout if you need help / advice, and keep posting – whether to ask questions, tell us of your successes or even rant about your occasional slip-up or stall in weight loss. We are all here to help each other.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi LadySusan – Think Theodora has covered off the essentials in her response to your post, but just wanted to add a welcome. Like you I came to the BSD for weight loss rather than blood sugar issues, but the science behind the BSD spoke to me and it just felt right. The folks populating the forum are friendly, helpful and inclusive and eager to offer advice, encouragement and support and has certainly been the resource that got me to the end goal. Be sure to make good use of it.

As Theodora said, some have continued on the Fast 800 beyond the 8wks and some like me did it with breaks, but that was because it fitted into my life style more easily. Now though, for me as for so many others, BSD way of eating IS now an embedded part of our life style.

Hope you will soon be posting good losses and we’ll look forward to reading about your progress.

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Thanks Theodora and SunnyB for your great responses – thats really lifted a weight off my mind as I was hoping I could go straight through. Even if I don’t, I will have the 5:2 BSD to fall back on in between. It’s so nice to finally realise that constantly being hungry isn’t me just being greedy and having no willpower. Thanks again for the welcome.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi LadySusan, I needed to lose a great deal of weight as well so I did the BSD for 14 months straight with no breaks. Not only was it not at all difficult, I thrived on the structure of weighing, measuring and calculating my calorie and carb counts. When I started out in August 2016, I weighed over 300 lbs, probably 320 (the exact figure I don’t know because I was still avoiding the scale like the plague). A year later, I was 130 lbs and well within my healthy BMI range. As I slowly increased my calorie count, I continued to lose and am now stable at 120 lb, give or take (120.7 this morning), which was my high school weight and a dream goal I never thought possible.

In order to achieve this, I kept close track of my carb count, eliminating all the usual suspects — wheat, grains, cereals, root vegetables, sugar in any form — as well as most beans, pulses and fruits. My carb limit is 20 grams a day and those come exclusively from vegetables, dairy, nuts and chambered berries or coconut. I don’t count calories anymore, but I still count carbs to be sure I am never unaware of my intake.

This was what I had to do to overcome my insulin resistance which steadily added weight to my 5’2″ frame for two decades, even as I ate what doctors assured me was a “healthy” diet. Whole grains turned out to be just as bad for me as refined ones. Low fat was a curse. I was hyper obese and living an unrelenting hell of depression, exhaustion, joint pain and overall debilitation. The BSD upended all of that, radically changing my body and my mind.

I would not be at all surprised if you had some insulin resistance too. Your description of trying all those diet plans without success indicates to me that you may be once of the millions of people who are insulin resistant and don’t know it. Doctors routinely test blood sugar, but they rarely test insulin levels. I had to insist on it and I had a condition for which insulin resistance is one of the main markers.

My advice to you is get a good kitchen scale if you don’t have one, put it on your counter and weigh and measure everything before you eat it. Input the ingredients and measures into an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret to calculate the calories and carbs. When I started I had no idea how many carbs were hidden in foods like onions, tomatoes and even some lettuces. I also had no idea of how tiny serving sizes could escalate so quickly. Building that awareness from the first day of the BSD was instrumental to my success.

You can do this, LadySusan. I did it and I was a couch-locked shlub who got out of breath crossing the room. The BSD can do for you what it did for me. Best of luck to you!

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very warm welcome to you, LadySusan! My good friends Sunny and Theodora may have had me in mind
    when they mentioned 10 stone losses on this way of life (WOL), so I wanted to introduce myself to you ๐Ÿ™‚
    I began this miraculous, life changing diet in June 2016, at a frightening 285lbs. I’m 5’7″ tall. I went thru
    for 10 straight months on the Fast800, and felt fabulous once my body switched over from burning carbs
    to burning fat for for fuel. At the end of 10 months I had lost 140lbs. No alcohol, carbs <20, no breaks,
    no exceptions. I’ve been in maintenance for 10 months, and have lost an additional 8 lbs since then. This
    WOL can change your life forever. I’d like to suggest that you join the new 4 week March thread, for it
    will give you an opportunity to not only meet other newbies, but lots of maintainers that have acquired
    much experience and wisdom along the way You would be very welcome! If you have questions,
    simply ask, and one of us will be along to help, encourage or sympathize ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope to see you there! Best of luck to you,

Allie

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Wow!! You and Esnecca are just awesome! So helpful to hear from you and about how you managed. I will definitely look up the 4 week March thread, but you have no idea how inspiring it is to hear about your success. Actually you and I are similar height and I am 270 lbs today. When I lost with LL I ended up with sagging skin and lost a lot of hair. Have you found any such side effects? Sorry to be nosey but I am just keen to know whats ahead. Somehow I feel this is more nutrisous than shakes with more collagen etc..

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Esnecca – I can’t tell you how impressed I am and thrilled that you took time to respond – what nice people on here! Well done on your loss and maintenance and some really good tips. I have been slowly getting round to cutting back carbs and realise just doing 800 cals wont do it – I need to cut the carbs to curb the hunger.
    I will absolutely take your tip about the scales.
    You could well be right about the insulin resistance. I am constantly depressed and everything aches. I am now so excited! Thanks again. Susie

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m glad that Essie (Esnecca) caught your post, too, Susie (Hi, E!) We are sometimes referred to as
    as the “BSD twins” around here, because our stories are so similar. We’ve both been hyper-obese,
    depressed, and could barely function, as well as being highly insulin resistant. Her advice is always
    solid gold, and at this stage, we can practically complete each other’s sentences. I’m very pleased
    that you have found your way here, and I sincerely believe that it will change your life in ways yet
    to be imagined. Shout out when you need us, we’re always out and about, and will always respond!
    Susie, I think the phenomenon of loose skin is as much an age related thing as well as % of body
    weight you want to lose. I lost a little over 50% of myself, and yes, at age 69, there is some loose
    skin. However, it is in no way noticeable under clothing, and I’ve heard here that it can take up to
    2 years to reach optimal results. I lost 21″ from my waist, so how much can I expect ๐Ÿ™‚ Will just
    have to wait and see. I can report to you that I now feel as healthy as I did at 40, and that is the
    true miracle for me. Chronic pain and chronic fatigue are a thing of the past. Throw in with us!
    This is what you’ve been waiting for ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Susie, welcome to the best forum for the best way of eating there is! I am another of the forum ‘biggest losers’ at 8 stones off to reach my target which I reached over a year ago, and have been maintaining and increasing my fitness ever since. I only did one round of 8 weeks at 800, right at the end as I started from the 5:2 more gentle loss pattern and it took me two years to shift the 8 stone. I look forward to welcoming you to our 100 club when you have lost 100 pounds, and I strongly suggest that you break your end goal down to a selection of mini-goals which will enable you to keep celebrating your progress.

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Sorry it took a while to respond Allie – I have been so caught up in weighing and measuring that I forgot my internet manners. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I am fascinated by the fact that you say ‘there is some loose skin’, not that there is a lot. Like you, I am in my 60’s so this is a worry – surely it gets harder for skin to stretch back after time and as we age….however, I would say that when I lost a lot of weight before (Lighterlife so sub 800 cals) I had a little loose skin, but a young woman I know lost 140lbs on Slimming World and was left with lots (I mean lots) of loose skin. I have recently given up on SW as they encourage large quantities of carbs (pasta and potatoes, rice etc) and I wonder if there may be a link between how we lose weight and loose skin…? If anyone writes a paper on this and gets rich, it was my idea ๐Ÿ™‚ (of course if it’s rubbish, it was someone elses idea)!
    Also I am noticing how many people are recommending less that 20g carbs, presumably knocking you into ketosis (something I am familiar with from LL). The blessing of ketosis is swift weight loss but also lack of hunger, but so far I haven’t been hungry on higher quantities of carbs and I note Michael makes no mention of ketosis in the BSD. I am obvioulsy trying to reduce carbs (less fruit including tomatoes, more green and white veg….but now you have me thinking!! What to do…..?!

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Hi Mixnmatch – lovely to hear from you and yes I really look forward to joining the 100 club! A good (reasonably slim) friend has been nagging me to try 5:2 for two years but I thought it was really only for people with a little to lose, so you are quite a shock to me and I feel rather humble. Good for you!! Having left it all a bit late (chronic aches in muscles and joints, depression, etc) I have decided to go for it at 800 and see how long I can do it. 4 days in and I have lost 5.5lbs and feel very good and not at all as though I am missing out.
    I’m a bit all or nothing so I think for me its best to stick to 800; if I occasionally ate more I think it would become a habit. I’m certainly not hungry – I work from home and was constantly exercising (!) by walking to the fridge. Doesn’t seem to bother me any more! Early days, but you guys offer such brilliant support and lets face it, how many of us have a close friend who really gets what were going through, though they are often sympathetic. Thanks for the lovely warm support.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Susan, well done so far, it sounds as though you are doing great.

Just because you are no longer “exercising” by walking to the fridge (well done!) don’t let your exercise drop off – if you are drinking enough water, you’ll probably be replacing that exercise by getting up and down walking to the loo every half hour๐Ÿ˜‹

I can empathise with your “all or nothing” approach as I was very much like that myself whilst I was on 800. Now I’m in maintenance (almost 10 months) I am a lot more relaxed but “all or nothing” really works – well, the “nothing” anyway, obviously if you eat all, it won’t work!๐Ÿ˜œ

I’m not one of BSD’s biggest losers (obviously I mean that in the best possible way!) but I did lose 50lbs and I can assure you that, despite my fears when starting out, I have no loose skin whatsoever. Immediately after the weight loss, I did have a little, but it has tightened up over the past 10 months and now I am happily exposing arms, legs etc, and even wearing a swim suit for the first time in years (if I was younger – I’m 68 – I could even get away with a bikini these days, though I say so myself๐Ÿ˜)

By way of encouragement, if you are interested in seeing how maintainers look these days, we have a Phoenix rising from the ashes thread where a few of us have posted links to photos of ourselves (headless, to maintain anonymity) but it will show you just what can, and has been achieved by following BSD800 – and that is not even counting the wonderful health and energy benefits.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/phoenixes-rise-from-the-ashes-with-your-hottest-looks/

Talking of which, our phoenix thread has gone a bit quiet recently, girls……………………..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Get that bikini, Theo!! At 61 (nearly 62), I wore bikinis on my last holiday and didn’t feel at all self conscious about it. Remember – OH thinks you look fantastic and it doesn’t matter if strangers think otherwise, you’ll never have to see them again!!! I have a couple of new outfits I could photograph and post on the Phoenix thread – will look to do it next week after our visitors have gone.

LadySusan – sounds like you have made a really solid start on the 800, will look forward to reading about your continued success.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi LadySusan
    I’m a relative newcomer – this is week 8 for me. I did 8 weeks last year and then failed to maintain it, so started again this year. Like you I have a lot to lose and was concerned about what to do beyond the 8 weeks as it felt a bit too strict to do long-term. But I’m feeling really well – I’ve lost just over 2 stones and I’ve signed up for the 4-week challenge into March. Taking it 4 weeks at a time seems manageable to me and there is always the 5:2 to fall back to if I need to slow things down. I’m doing 30g of carbs – 20 seemed too much of a challenge.

I’m concerned about loose skin too – I’ve been obese almost my whole life. I was a fat child – I lost weight as a teenager and started to put it all back on again in my 20s – I’m 49 now. I wonder if it’s something to do with the length of time the skin has been stretched – if it’s been pulled for such a long time all the elasticity has gone and cannot shrink back whatever I do. I think this will be a problem for me, I can already see signs of saggy skin – but hopefully it won’t be too bad a problem for you. We’ll have to wait and see.

Welcome and best of luck – I look forward to sharing your journey with you.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’ve got all kinds of loose and wobbly bits. When you lose more than 200 pounds, that’s to be expected. It only gets me down very occasionally because none of it shows up when I’m dressed and the only person who has to see me naked is entirely positive about my body transformation. Besides, there are parts of me that look fantastic now, better than when I was this weight as a young woman, namely my shoulders, clavicles, upper chest, back, ankles, wrists and calves. When my deflated boobs get me down, I just gaze at my collar bone or put on a pair of US size 4 petite velvet leggings and enjoy all the great features of my new body.

Regarding the carb count, the people who do 20 grams or under aren’t doing it for ketosis. They’re doing it because of persistent insulin resistance or other metabolic disorders that slow down weight loss to a crawl or stalls it altogether if they don’t keep carbs that low. The usual ketosis boundary line is around 50 grams of carbs a day.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Those petite velvet leggings sound amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Essie, you STILL ARE a young woman! At least from my perspective ๐Ÿ™‚ B. did great with his first extended fast!
    Congratulate him, for me!

• posted by IanTH
    on

A tentative hello: I’m a 76-year old male who took up the BSD on January 1st this year; after gaining weight steadily for a decade. When I began this journey I weighed 115.2kg (I am 5′ 9″ tall) and my doctor said I wasn’t diabetic, but my body wasn’t handling insulin very well.
    My waist was 52″ and blood pressure (target) was 150 over 85. Yesterday I was eight weeks in, and I am pleased with results so far, having lost 18.6kg, waist down to 44″, blood pressure in the 120 over 70 range, and blood sugars well into the non-diabetic range – 4 to 5mmol fasting and 5 to 6mmol after food.

However, I am concerned that the weight loss has noticeably slowed down over the last two weeks of BSD. I have joined a local gym and also taking over dog-walking duties. I would be glad to hear of anyone else who has ‘hit the buffers’ as it were, after doing well on the initial 8 weeks BSD. Any advice welcome.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

A far from tentative welcome to you, IanTH – brilliant results to date and you have every right to be proud of your achievements. It is not unusual for the loss to slow down and I’m sure many can identify with your concern. Not sure if you have been tracking your daily carbohydrate intake, or just following the recipes in the book. If you haven’t been tracking your carbs, you might like to consider doing that, to give yourself a picture of what your daily carb levels are and may be by tweaking these down a bit, the rate of loss will pick up again.

It’s also worth checking you are still being as strict now as you were in the beginning – are you weighing and measuring absolutely everything you consume? Or is the occasional handful of nuts or a few grapes slipping in without being recorded? And are you drinking plenty – especially important if you have increased your exercise. Good hydration is really important to the body operating at it’s optimum, especially during weight loss.

Hope you will find the tweak that will improve your rate of loss. Please keep us posted on your progress and again, well done to you for such excellent results.

• posted by IanTH
    on

Thanks for that SunnyB. I must admit I have not weighed or measured anything for the last 8 weeks – just followed the recipes in the BSD book and in “Fast Cook”. I guess that means I was not sticking to the holy grail of 800 calories – up some days and down on others. To be honest I find the idea of a prescriptive diet regime a bit of a bore, but if that’s what it needs to bump start the process again – so be it. In the meantime I will cut back to two meals a day, and you are right about water intake, I’m not drinking as much now as when I started. Thanks for the advice

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ian – if you are not weighing and measuring, you really don’t know if there are any down days calorie-wise and so are not learning what a real portion size looks like. There are quantities quoted in the books, so it really would be best to get the scales out and use them religiously for at least a few weeks, so that you start to recognise what a standard portion really is. It does feel a bit onerous to begin with, but soon becomes routine. Really would recommend taking a look at your daily carb intake too. Once you know what it is, you can decide if it needs to be lowered at all.

If you are cutting back to two meals a day, I would suggest you perhaps look to extend your overnight fast, skipping breakfast and not eating until around lunchtime, so that you overnight fast for around 16hrs and have an 8hr period in which to eat. Lots of us find this very helpful and quite easy to incorporate into our daily lives.

Hope any tweaks you decide to make, will bring you the results you are hoping for – best of luck to you Ian.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hearty congratulations from me, too, Ian, on your spectacular results and
    committment thus far! You have clearly been willing to do whatever it takes,
    and I commend you for that ๐Ÿ™‚ I do utterly agree with Sunny though, without
    tracking calories and carbs, there is no way to establish a baseline for an
    accurate account of your daily needs. It is perhaps possible that you may not
    realize how out of the ordinary a loss of 40 lbs. in 8 wks actually is. Many of
    us had to fight hard and keep carbs below 20g/day to achieve a stone’s loss
    a month! We call this “insulin resistance”. I’ve lost 148lbs over a 10 month
    period and have maintained it for another 10 months. Even today I still
    count carbs, and I know exactly where my tipping point lies. It’s not as
    tedious as it sounds, and becomes second nature very quickly. Continued
    success, Ian!

Best,

Allie

• posted by IanTH
    on

Many thanks SunnyB and alliecat: Re the advice on two meals, I had done just that occasionally during the initial 8 weeks, so I will follow that timing – Thanks. I’m still not anxious to let this become the whole focus of my life – which is why I find the prescriptive regime tedious I guess. But they are wise words and I will try to introduce measurement into my routine.

I guess the reason for my initial success alliecat, was that I was a porker when I began! I do realise the difficulties involved for people tho’ and will try to do better.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ho Ho, Ian, I was a porker too! 5’7″ and 285 lbs ๐Ÿ™‚ Good riddance to past days!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ian – I guess what we all have to bear in mind, is that this IS a way of life and has to be, if we are not to return to our previous size/shape/weight. It was after all, not paying attention to what we were consuming, that brought us all to the BSD in the first place. I posted this quote on another thread, but think it will stand re-posting:
    โ€œEvery time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or . . . a pioneer of the future.โ€
    ~ Deepak Chopra

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Measuring and weighing is not a prescriptive diet. It’s the opposite, in fact, in that it makes it possible for you to prepare foods that are to your taste instead of pre-fab ones created by someone who is not you. It takes seconds to weigh and measure before cooking. There’s no reason why it should become your whole life. It’s simply another step in food prep, no different from chopping vegetables or browning a roast. People do it all the time to ensure the proportions are correct and the outcome consistent. That’s why pretty much all recipes note how much of an ingredient to use, for accurate reproducibility. Whether you’re “on a diet” makes no difference.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunny, I ALWAYS think of you as “the empress” of the spiritual quotation. With your permission, I’d like to
    continue posting it on any and all newbie threads, where it is applicable ๐Ÿ™‚ It is absolutely wonderful, and
    we ARE prisoners no more…..”free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we’re free at last!” (Martin Luther
    King)
    Have a relaxing evening!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Allie – such flattery!

I was reading another thread just now, on which you had welcomed Sardine to this jolly band and I was thinking between us, we are becoming a bit of a welcoming ‘committee’! The quote is not mine, although I wish I could lay claim to it. I’m sure Deepak Chopra would appreciate it’s message being spread to as many people as possible, so feel free to post it as often as you like – it is certainly one that speaks to me, as it does to you and as I hope it will to others too.

I too feel free and liberated by BSD and the loss of weight. There is still an almost surreal feeling about the image I see in the mirror these days and I’m still trying to get used to being able to wear fitted clothes and having a flat stomach!

• posted by alliecat
    on

No Sunny, not flattery, at all ๐Ÿ™‚ We do seem to be completely “in synch” with how we share the message,
    though! I love working “in tandem” with you as a two headed welcoming committee, and I’m going to
    have to sharpen my skills while you are on holiday ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be doing my best to ensure that you aren’t
    absent for too long, my friend!

xoxo

• posted by IanTH
    on

Well SunnyB, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I understand that, for some people (particularly those who have failed on other โ€˜dietsโ€™?), the fear of returning to their previous size/shape/weight may make this a way of life, as you say, and good luck to them if it keeps them on track. However I became the size and unhealthy weight I was, not because I paid no attention to what I ate โ€“ I have always had a reasonably healthy diet (ignoring the alcohol consumption) – but because I ate far too much.
    Thanks for your tips, which I found helpful (the increased water intake is already having an effect), but no more new age guru quotes please.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ian, you’re entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts…You are free to ignore posts that don’t
    resonate with you, but we have a large community of maintainers here who are uplifted daily by the shared
    wisdom of “new age gurus”, and everything and anything and that is offered in the way of inspiration and
    support. We all hope that you will be successful in maintaining your weight loss ” your way”, as well as
    getting to the finish line eventually.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi IanTH, I’m going ti assume yiu didn’t untend yiur comments to come acriss as sanctimonious and unpleasant. It can be so tricky communicating without the benefit of facial cues. My grandfather also had no patience for what he called ‘new age namby bamby gobbledy gook’ as well. I’m afraid to say we teased him relentlessly. Me, I don’t mind a bit of short sharp word smithing if it helps me be clear about how to adjust my thinking to match new goals.

So I just wanted to add my congrats on moving so close to being out of the obese BMI range! Sounds to me that you have developed an approach that suits you, your health profile and your lifestyle well. Others here of course are dealing with very challenging Type 2 diabetes, pernicious insulin resistance and other unimaginable chronic health challenges, not necessarily the resulting from poor food choices. These folk tend to take a very vigilant and creative approach and I for one continue to benefit enormously from their experiences and generous advice.

Anyhow, good luck with your efforts.

• posted by IanTH
    on

Good morning Flick, from the naughty step! Your assumption is correct, no unpleasantness intended; but words will always be interpreted differently by people. I have no room for a sanctimonious attitude – not least because I am the father of a Type1 diabetic daughter and well aware of the struggles involved there, as well as my own fight against flab. I do come from your grandfathers school of thought as you say, but I seem to have unintentionally touched a raw nerve, for which I am sorry. I hope that my personal approach is the right one for me, and I thank you for your congratulations.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ian – I have typed a couple of responses, but actually have decided that Allie and Flick have said it better. If it helps, I apologise if you felt the quote I gave was misplaced – time will tell if that were the case.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Hello from sunny but chilly Pittsburgh. Just checked into the hotel and wanted to pop on the thread and see how everything was going with you all.

Had a small wrinkle in the travel plans….had to delay 24 hrs due to heavy winds on east coast of US on March 1. Allie, hope you fared well in the gale….we lost a lot of branches off trees on the property where my apt is located, but nothing downed thank heavens.

Brother’s surgery seems to have gone well (full shoulder join replacement / revision of prior surgery). He is in recovery now for 2 hr so a chance for me to flee from the family waiting room having been there since 8 am and it is now 1:30 EST. Ugh. Will go back when he is cofirmed to be in a room where I can visit.

Have done well staying on BSD for the duration. Snuck off to open my can of tuna in the visitors rest room and drain in sink, dump into a small plastic storage tub and return to waiting room to add mayo and proceed to dine in the far corner. Feel bad for subsequent visitors to the rest room wondering why it smelled of tuna of all things, but was asked not to leave the area as surgery dragged on and saw that as the only option. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Have been good as gold as surprising myself as in past family visits pre BSD often strayed a bit in order to keep things simply and go with the flow. Finding I am now so much less wed to the idea of some rigid traditional meal and now simply focus on the nutrition within BSD calorie/carb parameters even when in comes in a less traditional package.

Hoping bro dc’d tomorrow and with a day at his home to make sure he is stable and doing well, will track back to DC on WED. Then a nice long visit. Looking forward to it. Thanks all for everyone’s support and encouragment.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good luck LTC, and best wishes to your brother!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

LtC, I can just imagine the wrinkled noses from unsuspecting visitors to the ladies room, as well as you
    perched in the corner of the family waiting room, mixing up magic for lunch! It’s a relief to hear from
    you, and I sincerely hope brother is managing his post op pain. It’s astounding to me how things have
    changed in how fast post-op patients are discharged in the current environment…I don’t think it is at all
    in the patient’s interest, either. Have a safe trip back to D.C. Thank you for the update, will talk with
    you soon ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo
    Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.