Calling all Aussies,

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by franash
    on

Hi there, hope yr travels on the BSD are going well.

As this is an international site, I just wanted to see how many Aussies are out there doing this, so we can help each other out with what products we see in stores etc. I’m type 2, no meds, and about 6 weeks through the 8 weeks diet. I have had two breaks from the diet so far, life happens. I lost 4 kgs quickly, and have kept them off but not lost any more. Still I happy with progress. I’m a wife, mum of two school aged kiddies and work part time. Good luck everyone.

• posted by sharoni58
    on

Hi, Perth W.A. here, just bought the book today still trying to get my head around it, desperately researching recipes, I love to cook ☺ good luck on your journey, I’m about to start mine…..eeeeekkkk!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Franash and Sharoni58, I started a thread for Aussies, with low carb food and a useful app. Please feel free to contribute and spread the news. Loads of Aussies on here now. Good luck with your journey πŸ™‚

• posted by Cate Ran Away
    on

Hi Cherrianne, Franash and Sharoni58, I’m in Perth and at 53 I’ve been putting on weight ever so slowly since I was 31 ( pregnancy) but now my baby is nearly 22 ! My doctor recommended the 5:2 for me but even though it’s easy I didn’t lose any weight really, maybe a kilo, but now into the first week of the 800 I down 2 kg. I’ve ordered the book but atm just using MFPal to track calories. Next I’m going to use it to track carbs . I’m ovo- vegetarian, and I love this way. 7 weeks to go!

• posted by Kindness
    on

Hi Everyone, I’m in Sydney and on Day 5 lost 3kg already. First few days are hard but starting to feel better already.. The quick and easy options are really great. I wasn’t that overweight maybe a kilo or so but my blood sugar was in the prediabetic zone and at 23 that was bad. Happy to see some other Aussies on here ! Really cool side effect of the diet I’ve noticed already is normally I have lots of floaty dots in my vision ( hard to explain) but don’t have any the past couple of days

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hey Cherrianne, I have just had a look and am not sure where to find the thread you speak of starting??… can you give me a heads up…

I am an Aussie living OS at present.

One thing I am having issues with is getting my protein count up. Feeling really motivated still and having great BSL results… still waiting for the predicted bounce but at the start of week four and nothing significant so far…. But yes my protein requirement, as per my endo, should be about 70 or 80 grams a day… and I don’t make half of that most days within the 7 to 800 calories I allow myself….

ANYONE KNOW A SUPER PROTEIN THAT MIGHT BE TO GO??

• posted by DJDAussie
    on

Hi, my home is in Sth Aus, but currently we’re in Brisbane area sailing our boat northwards towards the Whitsundays. We’re moored here in Redcliffe until June waiting on the weather. … I’m week 1 day 6…first weigh in tomorrow, so, looking forward to it. I’m a T2, diagnosed many years ago and slowly the meds have been added and about a year ago I was told that I would have to go on insulin. That would have meant postponing this trip that’s been in the planning 30 years so I put myself on a low carb diet with great results. .. sugars down to 6 at blood test last Sept…unfortunately I took my foot off the pedal and over the intervening months started eating badly and my levels went up again. ..my next blood test is in May. This diet came along just at the right time for me. Looking forward to being on this journey with you all. D☺

• posted by Poppytree
    on

Started the diet on 1st April – no joke. Diagnosed type 2 18 months ago and keep it under control with diet and exercise, no meds though.

Tried 5:2 for a while and initially lost 3 kg then plateaued. Put weight on over Christmas and have only just managed to lose it again. I eat during an 8 hour window and fast for the other 16 hours. Feel great but struggling to lose weight.

Does anyone count macros for food groups as well as %?
    On this diet I seem to eat about 40g good carbs.

Weigh in tomorrow so fingers crossed

I’m a Senior POM (69) living in ADELAIDE and become a citizen next week but not planning to celebrate with a party

• posted by LeanneW
    on

Hello all. I’m in South Australia. All going ok so far πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Poppytree, well done you are proving it is never too late to change your life around!

Congratulations on becoming a fully fledged Aussie next week.

You will find this diet easier than the 5 : 2!

Never followed a macro diet so can’t help you with that but people do aim to eat. 50g or less of carbs πŸ™‚

Welcome to the forums! ::

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi djdaussie. How exciting, a long sailing trip to exotic places! Stick to this diet and things will get better!
    Have you read bill1954s posts? – this has to work for me?. His results are AMAZING! πŸ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi there Senior Pom, you will be amazed when you get into it, just read the labels on any food you have or that you eat and be horrified at the “carbs of which sugars figure”. I have got my sugars level down to 30 gm/day and have had to cut out dairy and bread but I no longer crave them. Don’t beat yourself up – it’s not a religion, just science backed advice to improve health and reduce body mass – you cannot fail because it really works if you invest some time & effort. Good luck, everybody here is very supportive, I am on day 57 today 2 stones lighter…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lucienne, welcome to the forums and so glad you are feeling the benefits already!

There is quite a large contingent of aussies now and you are lucky to have the lovely cherrieanne spearheading the way. A BSD veteran with medical knowledge!

At just 23 you will see off that prediabetes – look at Bill1954 s posts, this has to work for me! πŸ™‚

• posted by BedeBout
    on

Hi from Brisbane, Australia. I am just getting organised to begin. My Mum’s lost 4 kg in 2 1/2. Weeks!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi bedeBout, welcome to the forums. Sounds like your mum is leading from the front. – how lucky to have a BSD buddy! Keep posting about your successes πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi All,
    The post is called ‘low carb foods in Australia’ and is in this forum. If no one posts on a thread it moves down the list each time, so you may have to scroll down a bit to find it. I’ll post something in a minute and see if I can move it up a bit.
    Welcome to all you new Aussie BSDers. We are very fortunate here that we have access to products through the NDSS, that folks in the UK have to pay much more for. From reading the posts I have discovered that unless their GP’s practice will supply them they have to pay for glucose test strips! Most of us wouldn’t have even had to pay for our meters.
    We also have fabulous low carb bread, read the other thread to find out. Plus today I found another staple food with 25% less carbs… A little cliff hanger to get you looking for that post lol πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi notsofatty,
    Haven’t heard from you for a while, I was wondering how you were doing. Germany isn’t renowned for it’s low carb cuisine so I was concerned you might be struggling.
    As far as your protein goes, are you eating dairy at all? That will go some way to increase your protein count. If you have a smoothie for breakfast you could add a legume based protein powder to it. The whey based ones are higher in carbs.
    Half a cup of cooked lentils are 7.1g protein for 81 cals. 1/4 cup of Tofu stir fried is 11.3g for 119 cals.
    Half a cup of tinned cannelini beans will give 5.8g protein for 69 cals. Great added to a salad or mashed to a paste with some sage and lime juice to use as a filler in celery.
    I can’t remember if you are vegetarian but if not:
    Tinned fish 50g of sardines in oil = 8.5g protein for 81cals, 50g tuna in spring water = 11.9g protein for 50 cals. Two large boiled eggs = 13g protein for 140 cals.
    If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could download the Australian easy diet diary. Scroll through the list of foods and check out the protein levels and choose some low cal options.
    Hope this has helped.

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hi Cherrianne,
    Thanks for thinking of me… I have been great… had to look at the calendar today to see if it is week three or four… Yes the low carb choices here are amazing!!!! hahaha…. but we spent easter in Luxembourg and I actually learned to choose well from the menu’s…. Italian is easiest – of course not the pasta or pizza but their fish and salad choices are better.
    Thanks for reminding me about tinned fish though will invest in some tonight… too far from the coast here to eat the real thing…. having grown up in King George Whiting country frozen fish does not cut it…
    Anyway… yeah cannot weigh myself but clothes are getting baggy…
    Fasting BSL is still hanging under 8 so, I am pretty happy – but waiting for the expected spike before I relax completely… would like to see it under 6 of course but realistically I have been diagnosed 16 years so feel I am doing amazingly well given that. Had to halve my BP profilactic med as was having dizzy spells but metformin remains unchanged for a while yet I reckon even though it is XR so will take longer to deplete my glucagon stores but don’t want to harm myself while trying to do good. Diamicron I have not taken since the day after I started this change… I have the app you recommend but had stopped using it in Germany.. will take a gander….
    Thanks again chic..

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lucienne
    I find the floaty dots in your visioin concerning.
    Has your doc sent you for a diabetes eye check yet ?
    I ask because those floaters, whilst normally nothing to worry about, can also be an indication of early retinopathy. Best to ask I think.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Lucienne – I have hereditary eye problems, as Bill says please either go to your Doc or Optician for a check-up, it’s always best to nail anything like this fast to put your mind at rest.

• posted by Poppytree
    on

It would be useful to have the posts in reverse order – latest first. Is there a way of changing to this vew?

• posted by gbrown
    on

Hi I am an Aussie Male in Melbourne going to commence the Diet in two weeks time when I am on Holidays. A friend is going to start the programme and do it together.

I am interested in looking at shakes and cooking . Do you know if we are allowed Milk on this programme?

• posted by Vyvyen
    on

Hello fellow Aussies,

I’m in Western Australia in the south west Busselton. I’m just begining my journey as I’ve had a great run of eating anything and everything without moderation for 57 years lol. I’m a vegetarian TOFI too. Looking forward to meeting you and learning to behave (food wise). Any great vegetarian recipies would be much appreciated.

cheers,
    Vyvyen

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Excuse this posting from Pom ! Just spotted your posting GBrown – Milk is rationed as it has sugar in it, it’s on a basis of ‘if you simply must have it” lattes are OUT, it’s just dribble in a coffee or tea.

Almond milk works for some but I find it too bitter, am now mainlining herbal tea & water, treating myself to a weekly cappuccino, instead of a daily latte…..

Good luck!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome to all you new starters
    Loads of advice help and recipes on here and if there is something you need to ask, just give a shout out.
    Gbrown, milk is ok if counted into your daily allowance (use full fat)
    Best of luck to you all.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi gbrown if you do decide to go down the shakes route and they need to be made up with milk use full fat milk as it has less carbs and sugars.
    A few people started on shakes though I think most gave them up quite quickly

I think you will find real food more interesting – and easy if you keep it simple. Look at some of the meals on the thread what have you eaten today to get some ideas.

Today I am skipping breakfast and having a small tin of tuna fish, a boiled egg and salad for lunch.

For dinner I am having a decent sized rump steak with a knob of mustard butter, grilled tomato and purple sprouting brocolli. I will throw a few slices if onion in the pan before the steak goes in and a mushroom or two to soak up the juices.

So you see, a simple meal. I may be a little over 800 calories so tomorrow i will eat a bit less. I.e. Lots of home made soup will feature in the next few days.
    Simples! πŸ™‚

• posted by georgina45
    on

Am in Melbourne. Week 1 lost 7lb and 1″ from middle. Two more days to Week 2 weigh in. Have found this regimen so easy! I have been amazed that I do not actually feel hungry. The last few days have been noticing that I feel much more energetic.

• posted by fiftyfifty
    on

Hi everyone. I’m also from Australia (Brisbane). Currently in week four of what started out to be the Fast800 but if I’m honest I think it has morphed for me somewhere along the way into the BSD Med style low carb diet instead. Still, I am feeling much better for it and have lost 2.5 kg so no complaints and will keep going.

I’m approaching my fifties and although I’m not diabetic I want to keep it that way. I’m also hoping to help my mum (82) who is type 2 to adopt the BSD lifestyle too.

I have great respect for Michael Mosley, and love the forum he has created here for people to share their stories and encourage each other. I have found the stories and posts of hashimoto and Bill1954 particularly inspirational, but I am sure there are many more equally so. It’s really good to ‘meet’ you all ☺️
    It won’t surprise me if one day in the not too distant future I will be watching a Michael Mosley documentary on the Fast800 (surely there’s one in the pipeline) and will be saying to my partner ‘hey look, it’s hashimoto from the BSD forum!’

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi fiftyfifty, well, I don’t know who would be more surprised at me being on a documentary with Dr Michael. – you or me??
    I totally agree about Bill being inspirational and isn’t it wonderful that his stepson is now following the diet?! It will be fantastic if you can get your mother eating this way!

Keep on keeping on! πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.