BSD working in spades…8kgs in 16 days

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by spcox
    on

17 days ago, I hit 108.9kgs. I had been skirting around 106kgs for months and tried the 5-2 with no impact. When I registered over 108kgs, it was time to act. BSD was the way forward.

In 16 days, I am now down to 100.6kgs. I’m targeting 85kgs and have 30 days to do it.

When I started, I flat-lined between day 3 to 6. I got strict and now keep to under 800 calories, often only getting to 750 calories. Things are back on track. I’ve really limited myself to not making meals too complicated. I often repeat meals to avoid getting frustrated with complexity and introducing hidden calories. My digital set of scales has never worked so hard. Everything is getting weighed, although I’m starting to know portion sizes.

I’ve also ramped up my exercise regime so I now briskly walk between 30 to 60 mins each day.

I haven’t felt better, more energetic and more alert for a very long time.

Good luck to everyone following this path. Stick with it. I hope it works well for you.

• posted by CaravanSue
    on

Great work spcox! I too tend to stick to the same meals that I enjoy dont let it deter you in anyway.

• posted by monabee
    on

Hi! Very inspired by your post! Way to go! Just wondering if you could share your common meals that are working for you? I have just started & easily go over 800…

• posted by spcox
    on

Hi Monabee,

Sure thing. I’ve tried to keep things simple – I’m easily confused.

Breakfast consists of one of two meals:
    – 2 boiled or poached eggs (170 calories) or
    – 1 bowl of bircher (as per the BSD book excluding the raspberries) (180 calories)

Lunch (bit of a minefield)
    – Meal replacement shake (200 calories)
    – 2 boiled eggs (if didn’t have for breakfast) – (170 calories)
    – Packet Pho soup & 10 almonds or (100 calories)
    – Fruit smoothie (Strawberries, freshly juiced watermelon, strawberry yoghurt, whey protein & ice) (190 calories)

Dinner
    – 100 to 150 gms of grilled (no oil) or steamed steak/salmon/chicken and 1 to 2 cup of steamed vegetables (mainly broccoli, cauliflower and carrot. Rotate veg and meal for variety (Up to 330 calories) or
    – 2 egg omlette with spinach and peas (200 calories) or
    – Veg curry (from BSD book) with no cauliflower rice (200 calories)
    – Grilled courgette with steamed spinach and 40gms feta and Balsamic dressing (200 calories)

If I know I’m having dessert, I’ll have a lighter lunch (such as a Pho soup and almonds).For dessert:
    – Two cups of air popped popcorn (70 calories) or
    – 75gms of no added sugar ice-cream with 1/2 cup strawberries. (150 calories)

Black coffee, black teas (herbal teas work better for me than black or green tea) and lots of water. Sometimes I have can of diet coke in the evenings….it can be pretty grim at times.

Measure and calorie check everything. Discipline is key here. Calories are everywhere, so it’s better to be informed so you can make smart choices. Calorieking is good website which lists most raw ingredients, which measured on a per gram basis.

While there doesn’t appear to be much flavour in the above meals, if you are disciplined, three things will start to happen:
    – You’ll start to lose weight which will be self-motivating
    – You’ll start to really appreciate the taste of those basic ingredients that you choosing
    – Find a basic spice (Cajun/Creole/Five Spice) or flavoured salt to help add flavour to the dinner. Yes, I know too much salt is bad, but it’s just for the initial phase to get you going. Continuing to be overweight is bad too, so it’s important to maintain perspective.

It’s now been 21 days. I’ve lost 10 kilos. My clothes are starting to look too big. It hasn’t all been smooth sailing even though I have never ventured over 800 calories.

I weigh myself every day when I wake up before I’ve consumed anything. I’ve had two days where my weight spiked by approx 1kg.
    I can’t explain it, but given my trajectory is heading in the right direction, I just keep going.

I hope some of the above works for you. I’m really interested to hear what you’ve been eating that has kept you above 800 calories.

Stick with it.

• posted by monabee
    on

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Had a better day today because of it! I may actually look forward to getting on the scale with this diet. I really appreciate the encouragement. Keep up the good work Spcox !

I really want this weight off fast also- will stick with it!

• posted by spcox
    on

Fantastic. Great to hear you’ve had a better day. Hope that the scales provide some positive motivation.

I’ve just managed to get rid of the extra 1kg that I gained from somewhere mysterious. But I’m not phased. The trend is in the right direction and I know that I need to keep pushing.

Clothes are starting to look a bit odd. Will have to address this at some time, but not just yet. Got more to lose. Still got another 15kgs in my sights.

Really keen to know what the scales say….

• posted by catherine80
    on

This is really inspiring, thanks for posting your results. I’m just starting today and as kind of a sugar addict the prospect of sticking to this diet for the coming weeks is scary! I’m going on holidays in 7 weeks and I’m 10kg overweight so would love to at least get down to a healthy weight for my height in that time.

• posted by spcox
    on

Keep moving forward Catherine80. You’re already doing great.

Meal replacement shakes can be a ‘sweet’ substitute to a meal.

Don’t be afraid to mix up meals. You can have breakfast for lunch or dinner. Totally up to you. It’s important for you to find whatever works for you. We’re all different.

I’ve found that jumping on the scales first thing in the morning everyday is great to get a measure on how I’m doing.

• posted by monabee
    on

Hello again;
    So pleased to tell you I have lost 10.6 pounds in one week! I am so happy about that! I have 65 more pounds to go- however I am so encouraged that I do believe this can be done.

I felt great this week overall. Initially I think my carbs were a little high- leaving me feel not as good- keeping a close eye on my carb counts- limiting fruit and ensuring a good volume of vegetables, protein, and a good mix of healthy fats really left me feeling great. I did not feel deprived.

I have the extra challenge of travelling and working out of town. I planned my meals ahead- brought food with me and it really helped. Another challenge I am happy about is that my husband and I like to eat out. I checked the menu out ahead, calculated it on my fitness pal, and enjoyed it! I was even able to fit in a glass of wine.

Thanks for your encouragement- We can do this and feel great and not feel deprived 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.