BSD 1st week done – only 3 lbs. down – Need advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JSR
    on

Hello All,

This is the start of my second week on BSD and I’m already feeling discouraged. The start of my first week was strong. I started last Monday and by Friday I was down 4.8 lbs. Friday night I attended a party but only had a quarter of a plate of food and and two glasses of champagne. Saturday I walked for an hour on the tredmill, and my only meal was dinner at 8:00pm which was a small piece of steak with salad, and I had two beers. Sunday same thing, had one meal all day which included roasted peppers, 2 oz. piece of meat and some tomato salad. When I weighed myself yesterday, I was up 2.2 lbs. and I hardly ate! Not sure if it was from the few drinks I had but its crazy how fast weight or water weight can come back so fast!

Started strong again yesterday with 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and chicken stir-fry for dinner. Also had a couple of nuts for a snack. Today for breakfast I had a small apple with 2 tbls of peanut butter, and lunch I had the chicken walnut wraps which is a recipe from the book. For dinner I will be having chicken stir-fry again, and also will be talking a zumba class. I’ve been noticing that I’ve been feeling hungry about an hour after eat.

I’m feeling discourage because many of you have reported a huge weight loss the first week, and I didn’t. I know everyone’s body is different but I feel I should have lost more. I have about 40 lbs. to lose. I weigh 190 lbs and I am 5ft. tall. I’ve struggled my whole adult life with weight and hoped this diet would be my answer. Eating 800 calories per day is drastic but I need to do something drastic in order to kick start my weight loss and keep it off for good. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

Don’t forget we’re all different, so you might find you lose a lot the second week.

Are you counting all the calories though? It’s horrible the way small things add up. I made the mistake of buying a bag of Brazil nuts the first week: 30 calories each. Also, I would cut down on the booze – there are an awful lot of calories in beer. I had two cocktails over the weekend but they were the kind that mostly contain spirits with a bit of lime juice, so only about 170 calories each. Still a high proportion of my daily intake, but worth it as an occasional indulgence.

I’m filling up a lot on vegetables, I mean a LOT of vegetables. So I might have 50g of hummus, but with that I’m having about 500g of raw vegetables. I’m not eating any carbs as such at all, just what I get from beans and fruit.

Hope this helps.

• posted by JSR
    on

Thank you DemiMondaine for your reply.

Yes, I am tracking my food on the LoseIt app. Some days last week I was under 800 and some I went up to 850. I usually don’t drink on the weekends, only if I have an event to go to. I didn’t think the calories from the alcohol would matter since I’ve only eaten one meal on Saturday and Sunday. I also make sure I am eating plenty of vegetables everyday. Hoping my second week will be better, its been very challenging but this is my last hope for a program to work, so I have to give it my ALL. Please let me know how how long you have been on this diet and what your results are.

Hearing about everyone’s success stories is a real motivation to me! Please share everyone, thank you!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

One meal a day is pushing it and taking a chance on putting your body into starvation mode making it hang on to fat reserves.
    You don’t mention carbs in your breakdown, are you counting them? They are far more important than calories.
    You also need to make sure that you are eating enough healthy fats and definitely drinking the 2 to 3 litres of fluids per day. The calories from the alcohol come from sugar and carbs, both bad for you and if you can’t keep those down, you’ll struggle to get into fat burning mode.
    If you’re doing all that correctly, as said above, it could be that you’re just a naturally slow loser but stick to it and the weight will come off.

• posted by Jussi55
    on

Hi JSR
    I lost 3 kg over 4 weeks. Very slow and not much happening. So ….. I had a good look at what I was eating and all looked good. Calories around 800, carbs no more than 50g. Plan B I reduced my carbs to around 20g, upped the fat intake and kept the calories around 800. Over the last week most of my food has consisted of courgettes spiralled dressed with pesto, eggs in a frittata with lots of veges, shrimps, salad. And cheese 😀 Getting a bit boring but have been very busy at work. Can’t wait for the weekend so I can shop and vary the food. Anyway enough waffle – I am almost at the end of six weeks and since that change in the carbs and fat I have lost 2 kg over the last 10 days. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. Reading all the amazing weight losses during the first few weeks can make you feel disheartened but this way of eating has tremendous health benefits and you will lose weight. I eat twice a day – lunch around 1 or 2pm and dinner about 7pm. Never been a breakfast person – doesn’t agree with me 😝 read all these amazing supportive posts regularly. There is nothing more inspiring and I have never come across such positive support for this community that is working towards a similar goal. Hope things start moving
    downwards soon – I sure it will happen.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I have about a stone and three quarters to lose, which is not a great deal – although it’s stuck to me like glue for a few years! I followed the BSD diet for nearly 2 weeks without much loss (have enjoyed the food, and the feeling of control otherwise), although it was a bit disappointing not to see quite a big weight loss – especially as I’ve given up sugar in my tea/coffee completely. I have been creating my own recipes, following the BSD rules, rather than using the recipes provided.

I then found it very useful to log my meals with MyFitnessPal, which I’ve started over the last couple of days.

This gives you a great breakdown not only of calories, but of the components of what you’re eating. After reviewing this, I thought I’d see if reducing the carbohydrate component to 50g or less per day would help me kickstart the weight loss. Happy to report that over the last couple of days, focusing more on protein, though not dropping out good vegetables entirely, I’ve lost a kilo. And I can feel that my belt needs to have another hole in it!

I would suggest you have a look at this app/website, it’s very illuminating.

• posted by JSR
    on

Thank you all for the great advice! I am going to start using MyFitnessPal, and reduce my carb intake. I always lost weight slowly and carbs are really my enemy, so maybe that’s my answer is to reduce them even more.

What foods exactly have you cut down on that contain a lot of the carbs?
    Any meal suggestions would be very helpful also.

Thanks so much!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi JSR! I was just signing off to get the day started when I saw your thread — as a serious lover of an ice cold draft beer (especially after hiking) I have had my own run-ins with carbs! My personal experience is that getting your carb intake down below 20 grams per day will really help. You might grab the book by Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat” — a great carb discussion with good carb control recommendations at the back. And don’t fret about the weight loss — lots of us did not have any dramatic beginning but over time (I am 10 weeks out) we have all lost substantially (in my case, dramatically at the waistline, although interestingly, my muscle seems to be unaffected). If it messes with your head, just don’t weigh so much.

• posted by JSR
    on

Thanks for the tips Californiagirl! I’m going to check out that book. I’m going to keep going, this is my last hope to get this weight off. And I believe it will start coming off as long as I stick with it. I just need all the motivation I can get right now!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

JSR I looked at the MyFitnessPal as I entered the food I was planning to eat, and noticed the heavier carbs on some vegetables such as chickpeas, red cabbage, lentils and so on. None of these is bad, and all are on the BSD diet, but perhaps having one portion per day is better than two, and keeping below the 50g of carb that way.

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

I tell you a really brilliant site to log food and exercise is sparkpeople.com. It’s free and there’s a great community on there, also you can join groups that will support you with your particular issues (eg for me it’s bingeing).

• posted by BSD
    on

My first 2 months I had no alcohol (wasted calories) and I cut out rice and went for the cauliflower rice and added cumin seeds for flavour / No pasta – replaced with veg / only sweet potatoes and ditched the bread (only have sourdough or soda now).

It is amazing how many calories are in things especially oil 1tbsp, any type 120calories, so watch the little things as they all add up.

I’ve never been happy with my weight all my life and this has really worked for me – Now Size 10 (never before)

Stick with it and just keep adapting

• posted by Sonicsunflower
    on

Hiya, I’ve had the same issue, only 1-2 pounds in the first week! Hoping this second week will see a bit more weight off, like you I struggle to get anything off, takes forever!!!! Have about 20 pounds to shift. It’s great to read the posts here for encouragement! Here’s to more successful weeks to come 🙂

• posted by Jussi55
    on

I usually make up my own meals which consist of some protein, fish nor chicken. I’m not a big meat eater but actually eat bacon on this way of eating. Weird. Anyway, lots of veges but the low carb kind. So broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, lettuce, capsicums. Meals could be just salad and chicken, prawns or salmon. Or stir fry – no rice. If I feel like it I make cauliflower rice. Or spiralise some courgettes and throw them in at the end for noodles. Or a vegetable curry with lots of spices. The weekend is a good time to make some things ready to take to work. Frittatas are good and I have even been known to make scrambled eggs and bacon before work to take for lunch. The key for me is to have a few good meals to rotate. Go to http://www.ditchthecarbs.com if you want to look at some recipe ideas. I have to admit I drink buckets of coffee every day but the caffeine police don’t live on my street so there you go. Hope this helps ☺️

• posted by Jussi55
    on

And yes I use Myfitnesspal too as I can log the food and check calories and most importantly watch the carbs and keep them no more than 20g

• posted by JSR
    on

Thank you for the advice Jussi55. And I have been doing just that, bringing my food to work, logging my food in MyFitnessPal and keeping my carbs down. I weighed myself this morning and the scale hasn’t moved since Monday. I just want to cry. I’m working so hard with almost my second week done and I’m still only down 3 lbs. from where I started. I’m going to keep going because I don’t have any other option, I just don’t know why I’m not losing.

My breakfast all week so far has consisted of 2 scrambled eggs or an apple with 1 tblsp of peanut butter
    For lunch I’ve eaten the chicken lettuce cups (recipe from book) or a salad with veggies and a tblsp of dressing
    Dinner I had chicken stir-fry (chicken & veggies) and last night I had 1 1/2 cups of turkey chili which is 185 calories per cup

I’ve been starving late afternoons and at night after dinner but I haven’t snacked on anything. I feel I’m killing myself and still not seeing any results. Feeling extremely discouraged right now.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi JSR
    the first thing that jumped out at me was there doesn’t seem to be a lot of fat in there.
    You must eat healthy fats from full fat dairy, olive or coconut oils etc to replace the calories lost from reducing the carbs or you won’t get into fat burning mode and you will feel hungry.
    Nothing in your post about fluid intake either, are you drinking 2 to 3 litres per day? It’s very important that you do. by week 2 you really shouldn’t be feeling hungry all the time if you are doing the above.
    Best of luck for the next few weeks, I’m sure things will improve.

• posted by JSR
    on

Hi Bill1954,

Yes, I cook with olive oil with every meal. My salads, chicken stir-fry and turkey chili all have olive oil in them. Also I have been drinking my water everyday, just forgot to include that in my last post. I’ve had trouble losing weight for most of my adult life, and my doctor’s can’t figure out what is the cause. My thyroid is perfect, all of my blood work is normal, and I even got my metabolism checked which was also normal. I’ve tried every plan out there, including herbalife which is 3 shakes a day, and that still didn’t work for me. I was drinking shakes at every meal for 14 days and lost 1 lb.

Like I said, this diet is my last hope for something to happen. Scientifically how calories in and calories out work (I’ve also been doing alot of walking to burn calories) you would think I would have lost alot more by now. If I wasn’t being true to myself and really not following this diet, then I wouldn’t be on this forum needing support. I’ve followed everything exactly and that is why I’m in this state of mind right now that I just feel like giving up. I hate the way I look, and I hate the way I feel when I’m dieting so strictly and getting no results. It really screws with your mind.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I feel for you but 3 pounds down in almost 2 weeks is a lot better than 1 pound down over 2 weeks of drinking shakes.
    Quite a few folk have stalled in week 2 only to see the weight loss start again afterwards, it’s all to do with your body learning to use fat as fuel rather than carbs.
    Stick with the plan, you may not lose as fast as some but you will lose weight, at 800 cals and 50g carbs you have to really.

• posted by BSD
    on

Hi JSR
    I’ve lost nearly 2 stone now (its taken 3 months) and its not plain sailing. This is how my first couple of weeks went in lbs (the + was after a weeks holiday!!) 5 4 2 3 0 1 4+ 4 3 1. I would stick with it for the 8 weeks. Below are a few things I’ve done. I got a fitbit to count my steps as a goal, trying to do 10,000 a day (that can be just walking while watch TV), I use sugar free gum to stop cravings. I do the other short excerise (planks, squats in the book, 3 times a week) I also eat porridge – not instant (50g, water microwave and the add tbsp. gojberries/small amount of maple syrup).

Try not to use too much oil and also try and keep the diet varied (I guess you are following his first week diet plan) I also switch quorn for the meats as high in protein but low in calories

I found the first 2 weeks hard, but I can honestly say I now love the food and feel so much better.

• posted by JSR
    on

Thank you Bill1954 and BSD for your responses and congrats on your success! Regardless what’s going on with my body, I’m going to continue to stick with this. Its really taking everything I’ve got but that’s what it will take to make a change. I don’t want to feel alone in this struggle and that is why I joined this forum.

All of your support and advice is greatly appreciated! I will continue to report my status going into week 3.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi JSR, some days I was just so hungry I was frustrated beyond belief but on those days I ate just a bit more to keep myself sane. Maybe, if you’re super stressed, add in an ounce of cheese or a small extra bit of meat, like steak — just until you are past the worst. It DOES get better (then maybe you hit another hard day a week or two later) — it isn’t a perfect outcome every day — if you are in need of a bit more, eat something very satisfying — in my case, that is a bit of fat and quality protein. Drink hot liquid with your little bit extra — that also calms down the raging hungries.

• posted by jungle
    on

66 year old male. I have lost 15.5 kgs in 9 weeks. Cholesterol down from 6.4 to 4.1 in the first 5 weeks. Blood sugar down from 8.4 to 7.1 in 5 weeks. Will have another blood test is mid July. I am hopeless at weighting food to calculate calories. We have a product called Liteneasy in Australia. Pre-packaged food with varying calorie levels. I order the 1,200 calorie meals without breakfast which then reduces daily calories to less than 800. I have a few cups of white tea and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per day. I always walk at least 10,000 steps per day. I think the walking is important. Weighing myself every day has been a huge incentive. I also have a watch which counts calories burnt in a day. It may not be super accurate but I find it a fantastic incentive. Since I started the 800 diet we’ve had Easter when I also had a cheese and ham croissant with my family, two Easter eggs and a hot cross bun. I have also been out for lunch/dinner on four occasions where I over indulged. I am not letting my campaign rule my life. But to date I am very pleased that I read Michael’s book. The bottom line is that you must never make excuses to fail. My wife is now wondering if the new slimline me is straying. ha ha. I think I could lose another 15 kgs. It may take longer to lose those further 15 kgs but it will happen. Good luck, Stay with it.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

What a great journey jungle, well done.

• posted by Jussi55
    on

JSR please don’t give up. I know how pointless it seems when you are eating what seems like starvation rations and you lose nothing. However this way of eating WILL work. For some it takes longer and is a slower process. Feel pleased for those who have substantial weight loss particularly in the early stages but remember we are all different and perhaps for you it’s going to be slow and steady. From past experience for me it takes about three weeks before any significant weight loss occurs. That fat just wants to hang on for grim life! It may be the same for you. Watch the carbs, drink water – although that is very hypocritical of me as that I find hard, and eat fat. After dinner I usually have a small wedge of Brie or similar with coffee – because I love it! My treat for the day. When I eat like this I have more energy, sleep much better and my stiffness of joints and back retreat to niggles. It’s strange that in the past I forget, eat bread, chocolate etc and complain that everything hurts and make grunting noises when getting up of the sofa! This time I won’t forget. Hang in there – there will be a loss and I look forward to reading of your success 😉

• posted by Jussi55
    on

I forgot to say that I have just completed 6 weeks on the BSD and have lost 11lbs – most of that has been in the last 10 days. I’m pleased and am not giving up. 28 more lbs and I will be very happy. That is my goal. So you can see it’s not falling off like there is no tomorrow and it might be the same for you JSR. Good luck!

• posted by JSR
    on

Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback and encouragement, its really helping! Congrats to all of you on your weight loss, its really inspiring! All of you should be extremely proud of yourselves for all that hard work, I know the struggle.

I weighed in this morning and I’m down 2.2 lbs from Monday. I was very happy that the scale started moving again! I have been hungry lately and been having many cravings. Here in New Jersey we have the best bagels, and I am craving one so bad. For those of you who are not familiar with bagels, they are round shaped pieces of baked bread with a hole in the center, and seasoned with a variety of spices. I was considering having one over the weekend, but I’m nervous I’m going to spiral out of control. I have to teach myself to have control if I am in a situation where I indulge. And I’m afraid if I do allow myself a cheat meal, I’m going to gain back the 2 lbs. I lost.

Have any of you allowed yourself cheat days or cheat meals? If so, how often? Did it effect your weight?
    Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi JSR, my advice is not to think about a ‘cheat day’ or cheat meal. As long as you give yourself carbs you are going to keep craving them and that means you will struggle with the diet.

The cravings will go if you give it long enough. Some one on here described carbs as the ‘crack cocaine’ of eating. It’s true!! Go carb ‘cold turkey’ your body will thank you for it and you will start feeling much better in yourself – even if you didn’t realise you were feeling off par before!
    Good luck! : )

• posted by JSR
    on

Thanks hashimoto, you are right. This weekend will be a challenge but I will have to focus. I’ll just remember how I felt when I wasn’t losing any weight, and I don’t want to feel that way again. And If I have a little bit of carbs, I’m going to just want more. And yes, its like a drug. I will need all the willpower I can find within myself to control my cravings, my body is still craving the sugar even though this is my second week on the diet.

I’ll push through. Thanks for the advice!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

JSR, I am not seeing large drops in weight as measured by the scales.

however, I can feel my clothes are looser, and see my face is slightly slimmer, so have decided not to be too attached to the scales.
    And I feel so much more in control!

Today had good breakfast – two fried eggs, avocado, roasted asparagus and a slice of Leerdammer cheese. With my coffee this was 400 calories, but I’ve then had nothing more all day and not felt the lack at all.

Another 400 calories for dinner!

• posted by JSR
    on

Hello Igorasusual, how long have you been on the diet?

That is great that you feel in control. For instance, today I had eggs for breakfast and a salad with veggies for lunch and I haven’t had any cravings. I don’t feel hungry either and afternoons are usually bad for me because I want to snack. Hopefully my body is adjusting and getting rid of the sugar and carbs. I don’t have diabetes and I don’t have any blood sugar issues. I was just addicted to carbs and sugar.

I’m glad I’m not alone in seeing a large amount of weight loss in two weeks. I guess it really does depend on everyone’s body and how it will react. I’ve lost a total of 5 lbs since last Monday. The end of my two weeks will be Sunday. I do feel good though, no stomach issues and no headaches.

• posted by Cicipops
    on

Hi! I,ve not been counting calories at all. Just stuck to fish, chicken, pork, beef and eggs with plenty of salad, berries and brightly coloured veg. I’ve been snacking on blueberries and unsalted nuts – mainly cashews and walnuts. Eating a filling breakfast has been key for me. It has prevented me from feeling hungry throughout the day. I usually have a bowl of porridge flavouŕed with nutmeg or cinnamon, with tinned drained peaches or mandarin segments. Lunch usually Ryvita with soft cheese, humous or guacamole, and dinner is either fish, meat or eggs with plenty veg. I’ve lost 9.5lb in two weeks, and shaved 2 inches off my waistline, this despite having the odd ‘naughty’ treat. This is completely unheard of for me!! Try ditching the alcohol and having breakfast, would be my advice, and don’t eat ANY bread, rice, pasta of potatoes. Oh, and DON’T give up!!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

JSR, this is my 3rd week (started Tuesday) and though I’ve been happy on the diet, a little disappointed not to see really big weight loss.
    Switched to MyFitnessPal this week and am focusing on keeping carbs low, and on how I feel and my clothes fit to give me an idea of how I’m doing.
    All going well!
    Due out to dinner Tuesday and have already researched the menu and found a very suitable dish.
    But a glass of red wine or not? Decisions, decisions!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just to add to this, have kept carbs well under 50gms for the last few days and a step on the scales this morning show 3lbs gone!

Will persist with this low carbs strategy. Still some way to go, but a better result than I’ve been able to achieve for some considerable time, and I’m not hungry and am really enjoying my food. Eggs, spinach and smoked salmon this morning – what’s not to like?

• posted by LuluSaintly
    on

Igorasusual: interesting you should say that you notice the inches more than the weight. I threw a party last night and EVERYONE commented on how much thinner I am. It’s not a huge amount of weight – about 7lb last time I looked, which is a few days ago, after just over two weeks on the diet – but it’s two inches off my bust and four inches off my waist, so it shows. My clothes are definitely looser.

Today we went out for a Chinese meal and I intended to eat what I liked, but I just wasn’t hungry. I ordered my usual wine but drank less than half, as I really wanted water (if you knew how much I love my wine, you’d realise how odd this is – we have a cellar! I buy wine by the crate). For my starter, I had a huge lettuce leaf and a mound of red cabbage with a nem and a couple of samosas, no main course and some fresh melon for dessert. The DH had a modest starter and he too went straight to dessert, eschewing a main course. This is absolutely unheard-of and I hope a sure sign that he’s getting used to smaller portions. He even put fruit salad on his ice cream (OK, he’s no saint).

I’ve decided that we won’t sweat it when we eat out, as many restaurants round here have a set menu and we only eat out 2-4 times a month anyway – we work from home and I cook all our other meals from scratch. I’ll just follow it with a fast day each time, and the DH loses weight the minute he stops eating biscuits anyway!

• posted by Isabel
    on

I’m in my first week, haven’t weighed myself, relying on clothes to let me know. I think I’ve lost a little, but finding it hard to stay within 800. I think today I’ll be 900. I haven’t eaten anything obviously containing sugar, and have made lots of vegetable soups. I had an apple today and see it has quite a bit of sugar. I have/had a sweet tooth and that is the habit I’m trying to break. I don’t have any signs of diabetes, really just want to lose 10kgs and keep fit. I’ll keep checking in here!

• posted by JSR
    on

Hi Isabel,

I am at the end of week 2 and I’m down 5 lbs. I’m feeling really good and my sugar cravings are a lot less then they were last week. What I’ve been doing if I crave something sweet is chew fruit flavored sugar-free gum, and just keep drinking water. It hasn’t been easy by any means, I am a candy addict for sure. Hang in there and you’ll see by week 2 it will be a bit easier to deal with.

I’ve been experimenting with low-carb recipes that are really satisfying. I eat eggs every morning so I’ve been making them with bell peppers, onion, zucchini and seasonings. Very filling and delicious! I do occasionally have piece of dark chocolate with 70% cocoa. I’ve been walking mostly, haven’t had the energy to do any vigorous workouts. I do track my food in MyFitnessPal and it helps to keep on track. Some days I’m at 850 or 900 calories, and that’s ok because my body needs the energy. Listen to your body, eat slowly and stop when your full.

My weight loss has been slow and I’ve accepted that now. I was very frustrated in week one going into week 2 having only lost 3 lbs. But I’m still sticking to it and got through the weekend without any slip ups. Very proud of that!

Hang in there and write back about your progress!! Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.