Bread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Grimble
    on

For many, many years I have made all our bread. Now I wonder how it stacks up against the commercial kind.
    Ok, it’s made of flour and must be on the prohibited list for carbs, but, as it is free of any kind of additive, does this make a difference?
    I shall be reducing my intake but would still value any observations you may care to make.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sorry, it’s off the list because of the carb content, being free of additives won’t change that.
    We have been using alternatives such as coconut flour and gram flour flatbreads which are far healthier but no substitute for the sliced daily I’m afraid.

• posted by Grimble
    on

Thanks for your reply Bill1954. What I expected, but good to bounce off others.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Home made bread is probably worse than bought stuff, because it tastes so good, you’re likely to eat more! I love bread, but I’m avoiding it for the 8 weeks. I think that might be easier than trying to cut down and it will make me find more meals which don’t rely on bread.

Bill, I saw mention of the gram flour flatbreads elsewhere (and can’t find it again now). Are they just the flour and water and made like pancakes? And would they hold together well enough for fajitas and burritos?

• posted by FoFi
    on

Patsy, yes gram flour and water and a tiny bit of olive oil. The recipe is in the recipe section, about page 7 (+/-).

I have had a range of strengths and brittleness. I have used a slightly more runny batter sometimes and I have made thicker and thinner flatbreads. Possible the pan temperature matters. It is worth experimenting. Some would definitely have been strong enough for fajitas.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks. I’ll have a go and see what happens.

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Can coconut flatbreads be made the day before eating, or are they better freshly made? Or can they be frozen?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Liz I just wrap them in a food bag and put them in the fridge.
    They’re still good next day.

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Great, that will help! Thank you.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I tried the gram flour flatbread tonight. I fried it in a splash of olive oil and knob of butter. Really, really nice. Not the same as a naan bread – more like a paratha. I like the way it would be easy to make a bigger or smaller one, depending on how hungry I am. When I make naan, I always make too much – and then we eat it all anyway!

Will be experimenting with these in place of tortilla. As Fofi says, I think they’d be strong enough.

Please log in or register to post a reply.