Brand new…and scared!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

MrsThompson, I feel for you, I know that awful feeling of stupid, ashamed and embarrassed — been there, done that, got the T shirt!
    So just start again. And keep starting again and again and again. Even if it’s just for one meal, or one day. This way of living takes time to learn and only the rare few have done it with no slip ups.
    I want to share some reasearch I read — people who fall off diets and then give up completely are often thinking in a black/white good/bad success/failure kind of way — and it’s easy to go there mentally (I should know!) but it’s not that way, it’s better some days, worse some days, shades of grey.
    So don’t beat yourself up — WoodDuckie has good advice — just start again!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Wood duckie and California girl thank you both so much for your positive messages. It makes such a difference having people believe in you when you just don’t. I feel very unconfident in myself. The majority of this battle for me is psychological…when I see myself in the mirror now I just can’t look at myself. But if I give up then I’ll be a real failure. You’re right, in a couple of weeks of doing this I’ll feel better and start being in a bit of better shape too. I feel so unhealthy at the moment, and I want to feel better. And having a goal of the end of September to get into this swimming costume I hope will help. Just the start is always hard. I’ve screwed up majorly, but tomorrow is my Day 1 and then it’s a case of moving forward. I have to stop relying on food and sugar so much…when I’m stressed I eat, when I’m happy I eat, when I’m bored I eat…I still haven’t been successful at replacing that emotional reliance on food… I know I need to find a better way of dealing with life.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good morning!!!! Here we are all wondering how you are going today 🙂 S much f this “newer” way of eating is mental and retraining of responses. Imagine if inside we are still a small child. What you give the child is what it gets used to. I was told by my daughter-in-law many years ago when my grand-daughters were experiencing “real” foods after baby formula . . . that they need maybe a dozen times to get used to the new taste. Now if that is so – and I firmly believe it to be true because 5 weeks ago I couldnt tolerate Natural Greek Yoghurt – now Im warming to – and actually enjoying a small quantity! Im also – no I was . . . a What is there to eat Im hungry or Im bored or its cold person. I have conquered that – through having the BETTER GOOD CHOICES food immediately available. AND at eyeline level in the fridge. If I didnt mention it . . . look for (the better choices) food you LIKE . . . then YOU get to EAT what YOU WANT!!! not what some dietician says is ok and may not be . . . (like me with crispbreads and rolled oats and my homemade soups with lentils barley etc..!!!) But thats another story Ive written about endlessly elsewhere here!!! SO . . . given I had no added sugar anywhere for years . . . I know that was a huge plus . . . but Ive chosen proteins of cheese – (sliced block and feta) – eggs, pork, bacon . . .(I cut the bulk bag of eyes open and divide into freezer bags for convenience) – beef, chicken, prawns – (frozen bag of large ones yields 40 – good for four meals!) – and atlantic salmon – (also frozen – 2 portions in their own pouches EASY MICROWAVE – no smell no touch!!!). Then because I NEVER was a lover of veges or salad . . . (jokingly referred to them as chook food as a child/teener!!!) – on the fresh shopping list I now have leek/onion/shallots. bok/pak choi, stirfry mixed packet, snow peas, avocado, tomato, BIG bag of baby spinach and BIG mushrooms. (Some were there before but . . . ) THEN standards in the fridge are crushed ginger, crushed garlic and chilli. All are in jars and way easier, quicker and cheaper than fresh. Grinders like Asian 5 mix or Lemon Pepper are nice flavour changes. Cashews are rationed for some stirfrys . . .or just a nibble after dinner if Im peckish. When I arrive home I get four/five/six takeaway food containers . . . line them up on the kitchen bench and divide the stirfry and snowpeas between them. They get stacked at EYELINE level in the fridge. Hard boiled eggs are ALWAYS in their own drawer. If Im hungry out of step with meal time its a hard boiled egg with cracked black pepper for a bit of oomph! . . . – wait and then maybe a slice of cheese or small mouthful of feta. Body will get used to . . .”oh so this is what Im getting for that feeling . . .? OK”. And it gets easier with repeated behaviour ie the baby’s response way back then!!! If its mealtime – (or almost there and you choose to eat instead which is sometimes better) – and indecision is at hand, then plan B is at eyeline in the fridge. With a little water, butter, garlic and ginger in the fryingpan – (mine is almost worn out through constant use over 5 weeks and sighs when I drag it out!!!) – net wile you have to cut fresh the onion/leek/shallots its quick right . . .? – then I add the cold pork or beef or chicken (whatever is READILY AVAILABLE cos IM starving please!!!) – . . . grab a box of the stirfry veges, a handful of baby spinach on the top – stir and cover once or twice to your taste and truly a meal for royalty in just minutes. If there is too much who cares . . .? Its the next meal already prepared in a bowl ready to microwave for 1-2 mnutes. Lunch for me today . . . gingered king prawns, bok choy shallots and cashews. What a life! Keep in touch cos we care about those who have discovered a new way of living 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Oh and I forgot to mention . . . my body is now TELLING ME “beware of this and that”!!! Like yesterday when I went out to lunch . . . was at a family sitdown inexpensive chain restaurant . . . and save for the side dishes . . . only one thing was carb free. Portobello Mushrooms topped with chopped tomato onion and feta . . . YUMMY!!! My friend had steak and chips . . , my tummy actually lurched when her plate was out down on the table. xxx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Woohoo! Thank you so much! I do try to help where I can and having long ago attended self-awareness workshops and “created my own way” of understanding some of the complexities . . . I think if we can visualise things simply it takes away confusion and restrictions. Id advise closer to the season’s end, getting some of that salmon and freeze portions to extend your pleasure way past the window of opportunity! Out folr unch with a friend yesterday the only thing on the menu which I was prepared to order was HUGE mushrooms topped with bruschetta and feta. When my friend’s meal arrived . . . my tummy lurched at the sight of the chips accompanying her steak. As we are all different . . . my driving factor is to prove those who told me my diet was fine, but my BSL’s werent . . . and I was a candidate for dialysis because the meds didnt work for me and insulin injections were the next step . . . that they need to smarten up their education. My BSL’s when I started were 12-13-14 – and thats before meals – to now 5-6- and the occasional 7 – and thats in 5 weeks today. (Dont know the equivalent in USA tables but Im sure you get the picture). OK Im off to have my ginger king prawns an bok choy lunch! Right here in my kitchen in about 15 minutes time 🙂 And I havent yet started heating the pan 🙂 LOVE IT!!!! Keep pedalling . . we are all getting there – just like a leg in the Tour de France . . . we will all arrive . . , just not at the same time. No point really . . . why? . . . Because we couldnt all fit through the finish arch if we did 🙂

• posted by Ellem
    on

Great post Wood Duckie – the one about the types of food you have on hand. 👍🏻

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you 🙂 I know Im an impulsive person . . . (in some things) – and if you are hungry then there is no denying it youre hungry! Its midwinter here and chill is bad. My lunch wasnt enough to do the job – and I had munchies bigtime. Half an avocado, with liquid minced chilli, and a dob of feta with a toasted, toasted and toasted again crust of 85% less carb bread as a dipper . . . and 15 minutes later . . . a teaspoon of pure peanut butter has FINALLY quelled the urges. Tummy is groaning and complaining but is making me laugh becos Im no longer hungry! I HOPE I have limited damage, and next BSL reading will see if there was . . . and if there is a problem, Ill note it on my journal sheet for future reference . . . Maybe until the weather warm up a little I need a heavier protein than the prawns I had at lunch to keep my inner fuel going for warmth. Cant afford to run the heater all day 🙂 I can see where this will be easier than the “easy” it has been thus far – once spring/summer arrives.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Wood duckie, I find your posts very informative thank you for taking the time to share those tips especially about having food on hand that’s the right type. It’s the evening now of my first day and I have stuck to my meal plan for the day. I’m planning on tidying the housethis evening and going to bed early tonight so that I’m not near the kitchen in the evening. I’m finding the portion size to be tough…it’s not so much being hungry, although that’s not pleasant, it’s just that meal times are so short…there’s less time to sit and relax and unwind! If I can just get this first day under my belt, that would be amazing. After all, each day will slowly add up…I just have to focus on the bigger picture…hope everyone here has had a good day xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello again and thank you MrsT. I do make my best effort to be helpful 🙂 As so many others here are too! Maybe nt be so stringent on the quantities for a couple of days until you get into the swing of things. As time has gone on Ive noticed I am not NEEDING so much food . . . and many days have had only two meals. Like today! I had ONE egg scrambled with cheese . . . was out mist of the dy – home at 2.30 pm and had to make a coup;e of calls, and unpack purchases. So by that time it was around 3. maybe 3.15. So a cuppa or snack or LUNCH even wouldnt have been an easy choice – SO . .. I had cold roast beef and a box of stirfry vege in the fridge. I cut some leek, a large mushroom . . . butter and garlic in the pan . . . in with the cold meat then the veges and there was a meal . . . followed up with some greek yoghurt, and a small spoonful of stewed strawberries and rhubarb. A 50/50 milk water coffee was drunk slowly over maybe 15=20 minutes . . . and apart from water I really havent need any food since. Its 11.30 pm and Im about to do a BS reading and turn in . . . this has also served me well as a long fast 🙂 But Im heading into week 6 so sounds like Im a little further advanced BUT . . . be prepared for anything and know it isnt anything someone here hasnt experienced and will support you through. 🙂 Hang in there! It will be good 🙂 Promise.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

I’m hanging in there! I’m struggling with the portions at the moment…I’m used to much bigger volumes of food (which has led me to this state)…so today I just feel a bit hungry and dissatisfied. When I was really craving cake today I substituted it with a portion of cheese instead, so even though it took me slightly over today’s calories, it was a much better option than the alternative. I really can’t wait until my stomach gets used to small portions though! If I can just get to two weeks with this, I think I’ll be feeling much better…it feels like the days are dragging though! Xx

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Hi MrsT, I do exactly the same thing when I’m very hungry. I have a small piece of extra mature cheddar. Corr it really hits the spot! It seems to satisfy me and I can carry on. One day at a time, or one meal at a time! Don’t look too far ahead or it will appear too big a target, very best for tomorrow x

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Please dont stress – if you need a little more – then when doing the stirfrys drop in an extra handful of baby spinach. In the beginning, I only cooked enough for one sitting!!!! That way I couldnt get more without cooking more. And the only extra options were a slice of cheese, (maybe) 10 cashews eaten individually and chewed to mush!!!!! a hardboiled egg or scoop of avocado, small serve of yoghurt or feta . . . each decided on after 15 minute intervals. I usually only needed two when I started. And I was SO determined not to get “sucked in” by my body’s demands!!! I made it easy on myself with those choices. Meant I didnt go outside the parameters . . . and if it meant a few extra calories (which Im not counting ANYTHING!!!) – the so be it during first short while of adjustment. Maybe start a mind-diversion project like card making or a family tree, photo of ancestors collection before they are lost forever . . . jigsaw puzzles or do a tapestry, knit for charity or hospitals . . . each of these requires attention – therefore the food and the programme isnt the focus . . . or getting the attention. And each of those hobbies has an element of “Oh Ill just do this little bit here” . . . or “I’ll just use this piece of thread . . .” “Oh this piece fits in there!!!” Diversion works bigtime! Good luck and keep hugging yourself . . . it isnt as strict as some disciplines Ive had to endure and the results for me are SO well worth it!!! Im so thankful to so many for so much 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.