Brand new…and scared!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by InTheHeartOfADyingStar
    on

Hi All,
    I’m starting this diet tomorrow and hope to follow it for 7 weeks. I have tried many diets in the past including low carb ones and have lost lots of weight in the past but have piled it all straight back on and more after finishing each diet. Needless to say I’m disheartened, despondent and feeling very very low at the moment, with very little confidence or belief in myself. Im feeling very fat too…I don’t know how much I weigh because I haven’t gone near my scales and have no intention of standing on them asi know the reading will completely depress me, so I just want to ignore the number for a bit until I’ve lost a bit of weight. I can’t fit in my jeans, and am in my large size leggings at the moment. I’m not sure where the best place to post is, but I guess I’m just looking for support and a friendly hand to help me get on track with this diet, and help me get my confidence a little, because I’m feeling very low in myself right now. Feeling very depressed, I’m completely addicted to sugar and I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever break my reliance and dependency on them. I crave them constantly and could easily just eat a packet of fondant icing straight from the pack (I’m a terrible, horrible pig aren’t I?)…I just know I’m miserable and really need to change my life. Any support welcome. Thank you.

• posted by Verano
    on

You may have hit the nail on the head ‘…. finishing each diet’. This is a way of eating and a way of life and not a ‘diet’ to start and then finish and go back to the old ways of eating, which will inevitably result in regaining the lost weight. There are weekly threads, a new one starting tomorrow, and four weekly threads, where you will find help and support from both new starters and long standing BSD devotees. Have a look around the threads and join in wherever you feel comfortable. Enjoy your journey.

on

Thank you verano…I’m so tired of yo yo dieting, I’m ready emotionally to make a permanent change, for myself and my health. I need to make these life changes and not go backwards. I’m tired of it. Perhaps I can join the weekly challenge next week? As long as I don’t have to weigh myself though… I’m not going near a set of scales at the moment 😣

• posted by alliecat
    on

InTheHeartOfADyingStar, I recognize your despair, and Verano is spot on in her post. You are in no way required
    to weigh in here, and you may find that taking some starting measurements is the most positive way to track your
    progress. Try to reject all previous dieting attempts…this is something universally different, and if you follow the
    principles, i.e., low carb, moderate protein and high(healthy) fat, you WILL get your weight under control. Follow
    this into maintenance, and you need never have to struggle with weight again. Many of us are years into the
    lifestyle, and are simply delighted to share our experiences with new members of the community. You are
    very welcome here, so just hop on to any thread that speaks to you. We make no judgements, and are only here
    to support, encourage, and share our collective experience. Happy to have you on board!

Allie

on

Thank you Allie. I’m really nervous about tomorrow and really want to do it and have a successful day under my belt. Any tips for doing day 1 and for sticking to the first week?

• posted by alliecat
    on

IntheHeart, I think the biggest adjustment is getting into the habit of preplanning all of your meals, so that
    you don’t fall into the trap of becoming overly hungry and just “grab something”! Most here use one of the
    apps to track calories and carbs. Carbs lurk everywhere, and it can be a real surprise to make this discovery.
    Fruit is shocker 🙂 Drinking plenty of water is also very important…Shoot for 2 liters! Let us know how you
    are getting along 🙂

Allie

on

Thanks Allie, I plan on writing everything down and have bought myself a pretty new journal especially for this…silly how things like that help, but it’s got lovely roses on it and it’s new…for a new start and a chance for a new and healthier life…

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

IntheHeart – hi and welcome from me, I’d say don’t be afraid of fat – it fills you up and prevents that deprived feeling. But where you’re feeling in need of support there’s always someone here who’s been through a similar journey and knows exactly how you feel.
    Good luck tomorrow and as Allie said, no need for weight or indeed to share anything, whatever is best for you.
    Maggie

on

Thank you Maggie…no one in my family struggles with weight or eating like me so they can’t really relate. I think at times my ultra fit and healthy husband gets very frustrated with me…we’re so completely different. He has a very healthy relationship with food whereas I’m a complete emotional eater…I celebrate with cake, if I’m sad I’ll eat to cheer myself up, if I’m angry or stressed my first reaction is to turn to the chocolate drawer. I deal with my emotions through food, and trying to overcome those deep rooted emotional ties with food and chocolate and cake and sugar is going to be really hard. But if I can do it…oh the freedom it would bring! To not be a victim to these cravings! To find a healthier way of dealing with emotions and stresses. It feels like a dream and I so desperately want to make it my reality…one day at a time, let’s see how it goes tomorrow. Thank you all xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, InTheHeart, I can so relate to being the odd one out in your family 🙂 I attained the dizzying heights of weighing
    285 lbs. 2 years ago. Within 10 months, with strict adherence to this lifestyle, I lost 50% of my body weight. Anything
    is possible when you join in this community. Being able to at long last to leave the yo-yo dieting behind is totally
    liberating 🙂 Think of this as an exciting adventure…It will take you anywhere you want to go! You are off to a great
    start in joining one of the challenges. Just shout out with any questions or concerns. There is always someone
    out and about who has already “been there, done that”, and is willing to offer advice. Welcome aboard!

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Star! You’re starting on an amazing new journey. I see several of the forum stalwarts have already checked in so I won’t add anything except…… don’t give up… this is a huge learning process and it takes time to internalize it all.
    There’s only ONE rule…don’t quit.

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi there Star, can totally relate to what you have said. Allie Cat Maggie Bath and California girl have said it all. Just take it step by step, drink loads of water and keep checking in here. The support is amazing. If we can do it, so can you. If you slip and fall off the wagon, climb back on. We have all been there. Do let us know how you are getting on. If you don’t want to weigh yourself, get the tape measure out. Once you see those measurements changing, and they will, it will spur you on. This way of eating is great once you break free of the carbs.
    Good luck!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Welcome Star 🙂 Hope you don’t mind me shortening your name? I know just how you feel and it’s been a year next month for me since I discovered this way of eating and it brought me up from the depths of despair…. You can do this. May be clear out the cupboards and drawers as best you can from temptations? I also bought a journal as I like to jot everything down, including my thoughts. The apps like fatsecret and myfitnesspal are useful too. I echo everything everyone has said above and know you can do this. One meal at a time and non foody treats at the end of your day like a pamper in the bath, do your nails, go for a walk. I also suggest measure your ankles, calves, thighs, hips, waist, chest and upper arms. I regret that I didn’t do that at the start. There are lots of informative articles and youtube links on the Take a Look at This thread that you will find helpful in understanding what is going on inside when we choose this way of eating. Good luck Star! We’re all here to help, just shout!
    Kazzeexx

on

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! Allie I like the idea of thinking of this as an adventure… and who knows where it will lead?! I’m really hoping it leads towards a healthier, happier and more confident future. haha kazzee no I don’t mind shortening my name at all!!! It’s a mouthful isn’t it?!
    I’m worried about how I’ll deal with the hunger on 800 calories, but then my portions now are ridiculously large I guess that’s why I’m this size…no pain no gain. So I’m diving in.
    I would love to clear out the cupboards but unfortunately my daughter would not be happy about that. It’s her birthday party on Sunday…so that’s my first major challenge is to get through that. But my most immediate challenge is Day 1. So I’ll just deal with today’…

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi Star how are you getting along. How did your first day go.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Hello Star, may I add my welcome to everyone else’s. You’re right, it is scary starting, but clearly you have plenty of courage, or you wouldn’t be here, so a HUGE well done to you. As the others have said, take it one day at a time. It gets easier and easier, and the results you will see make it exciting. There will be bumps along the way, but that won’t stop you on this journey to health. There are some unexpected, and delightful changes that happen – I found that my mood changed radically around week 3, and I am so much happier. I hope your first day went well for you, and if not, don’t worry because today is a new day. We are all cheering you on. Well done for being her.

on

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I survived day 1 just about, but it was hard. I desperately wanted sugar…I really really struggled resisting. In the end I just went to bed so that tomorrow would just get here. I really found it hard, I can’t wait for it to get easier. I’m sure if I stick at this for a couple of weeks I’ll see a difference…it’s just surviving to that point. Anyway my focus today is to survive day 2…need to free myself of this sugar dependency!

• posted by Ellem
    on

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

You will absolutely see a difference in a couple of weeks! I believe most of us found we lost weight form our waist area first (I wasn’t actually clear where my waist was!) and you will notice your body changing shape.
    Once you start noticing the change that will create the energy to keep going.
    Good luck with today .🙂
    Maggie

• posted by Amarela
    on

Well done!

As a long term sugar addict I did find the first week pretty hideous but I promise, it does get better if you just stick to it. Also the results come very fast in the beginning of this way of life that it really motivates and encourages you to keep going.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Heart,
    It is hard for the first couple of weeks, but how difficult it is helped underline for me that I was dealing with an addiction. I did fall off the wagon occasionally at the start but thinking of it as battling an addiction made it easier to dust myself off and climb back on.

There was a step down in cravings for me after a couple of weeks. but I was still attracted to eating carbs and thinking in terms of this being a diet. It took a couple of rounds for that way of thinking to fade. – I started back in October 2017 with a lot of weight to loose, as time goes by, the weight comes off and you can enjoy physical activities and all the benefits of other NSV, you get back in touch with how you feel when you are hungry rather than suffering from cravings.

• posted by Mari
    on

Hi, I think we all feel scared starting because nothing has worked before. I had some hypnotherapy to sort out my emotional attachment to food and I’m finding it much easier. I had cracking headaches the first 4 days and eventually had a slice of bread and took painkillers- now I feel great. I’m loving the food, feel so much healthier and that’s after a week, I’m on day 10 now. Haven’t dared weigh myself because I’m scared I feel thinner but aren’t really! My question is how are people measuring their carbs, I don’t know how to that? I’m pretty much following the receipts in the book as it’s easier.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Mari and welcome to the community. Most people use myfitnesspal or fatsecret to track carbs. The recipes which are full of good ideas can be carb heavy and the calorie count can be wrong, so be cautious!
    I’m glad you’ve managed to sort out your issues so you feel able to start this way of eating with confidence. It’s easy to underestimate the effect repeatedly failing to lose weight has on us – when will someone say sorry, our advice on diet was wrong!
    Maggie

on

Mari I think the emotional ties we have to food cannot be underestimated and are a real battle. I associate food and sugar with comfort and relaxation. My brain and body long for it. Such a good idea to have hypnotherapy to address those underlying issues…how helpful have you found that? How many sessions did you need? It’s something that I have seriously considered in the past so would be really interested in hearing your experience of it. Well done for sticking through to 10 days!
    I also wanted to ask about the carb counts for the recipes in the book…I can’t see any only the calories! Have they not been calculated for us?
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement…I’m glad it’s not just me that found the beginning tough because I’m not enjoying this at the moment! I am looking forward to seeing some kind of results to incentivise me…wish I could fast forward time 😂😂

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Heart, they’re aren’t any carb counts in the BSD book but the recipe book has
    Maggie

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi Star another day today! Hope you are starting to get to grips with the BSD way of eating. I did some baking with my granddaughter yesterday. To stop me eating the cake mixture as soon as I had emptied the mixing bowl I squirted washing up liquid in it! That stopped me in my tracks. Keep strong and don’t give in!

on

Yes made it to day 3…looking forward to feeling better soon though and my headache improving…at the moment my body feels miserable…a sign I guess of how sugar dependent I’ve been…

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done for sticking with it!

As others have said, it does get easier fairly quickly. And eventually it becomes actually easy not to eat all the sugary stuff as you stop craving it and start preferring other foods – at least that’s been my experience.

I think most of us have had at least one experience of giving in and eating something high carb during the8 weeks. If that happens, don’t beat yourself up and don’t use it as an excuse to quit. One slip up won’t mean you have to go through all the withdrawal stuff again.

on

I look forward to the cravings stopping! I’ve got a lifetime of terrible eating habits to try and change so I know this road will be hard…there’s the whole emotional aspect of it for me to deal with too, how to treat myself without food! But I’m sure after two weeks I’ll see a change that will serve as inspiration…hope so anyway!

• posted by Squidge
    on

It does take time to adjust and learn new habits.

To stop myself feeling I was depriving myself, I spent the money I saved on not buying junk to treat myself to luxury low cab foods – smoked salmon, really nice cheese, ‘posh’ bagged salads and stir fry mixes, plus lots of spices and fresh herbs.

Don’t forget to drink lots of water. Cutting back on food means we take in less liquid – and dehyration causes headaches.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

All good stuff from Squidge! There’s salt to consider as well Heart; there’s a ton of it m
    added to processed food (It’s even in coca cola to make you thirsty) so you’ll need to add some back. Use one of the seasalts. My preference is Himalayan salt which is loaded with trace minerals and is unrefined, unlike table salts.
    I’d recommend the recipe book as it is loaded with good ideas, though some meals are rather heavy in carbs. I find all kinds of peas and beans too risky so get my fibre from leafy greens and broccoli. You’ll soon find you’re tasting sweetness in all sorts of things; your tastebud makeover will astonish you
    Have a great day and let us know how it’s going 🙂
    Maggie

on

I can’t wait for a tastebuds makeover and I honestly can’t imagine it…it sounds like a dream world reading some of the experiences of others who were carb crazy but now have no trouble in resisting. I hope to get there someday…

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome Mari! Enjoy the forums 🙂 There is a lifetime of knowledge, wisdom and support here. Ask any questions that
    are on your mind, and one or more of us will be along shortly to share our experiences. Best wishes 🙂 This way of eating
    is nothing short of life changing!

Heartstar, how are you feeling today? How are the withdrawal symptoms…Any better?

Have a good evening, everyone!

Allie

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Just been reading this thread with interest. I must have started the same day as you In the heart. Being totally honest I haven’t had any cravings. I haven’t longed for or thought about sweet things, or been bothered by not eating them. I realise I’m probably quite odd!
    I actually feel I sense of relief, and feel calm and in control of what I’m eating, instead of the food controlling me. This is a first for me for years.
    I think I’ve probably got tunnel vision. I’m so focused on not getting diabetes, (I’m borderline prediabetic) and what it can do to me that I just have no interest whatsoever in any of the ‘dangerous food’ as I think of it now.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, lynnedb! I’m so happy to hear that you’re so focused 🙂 It does make all this so much easier when you’re able to
    arrive at such a mindset. I do share your conclusion that refined carbs and sugar are dangerous foods…I believe it
    is an addiction, and the way forward is to abstain. The wonderful discovery is that the longer you stay away from either
    substance, tastes DO change and in time you lose all interest in the rubbish. 🙂 Some are capable of “everything in
    moderation”, but I’m not one of them! Reading Gary Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat…and What to Do About It” early
    on made me truly understand what metabolic processes were taking place for those of us who are insulin resistant.
    I recommend it shamelessly for all new members to the community. I found it life changing, and after 2 years of
    this WOL I will never look upon a piece of cake again as anything other than a poison carb bomb. Why awaken
    the sleeping giant? I really look forward to following your progress! Keep up the great work…. All of this represents
    true liberation from yo-yoing forever. The freedom is indescribable 🙂 Best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thank you Allie for such a supportive post 🙂 I’ve wanted to ‘stop the sugar thing’ for ages, and tried several times. Sadly I only seemed to be successful for short periods, only to then come crashing down with such a massive sugar hit it was a wonder I didn’t have real health issues before. So yes a massive wake up call for me, I think like you I will probably have to completely abstain, I can’t seem to do the I’ll only have one thing!
    The real thing for me now though is I’m finally beginning to understand just how damaging all the sugar and refined carbs are. So I’ve got to be honest, to me it’s a lot like – do I really want that cigarette knowing what it can do to me? Here speaks an ex smoker 👍 That Gary Taubes book sounds good

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Lynnedb – sounds like you’re doing great – yes I also had tunnel vision. I believe that, like you with borderline diabetes, my T2 diagnosis really helped me stay focused – I was far more focused than any other time I used to try to lose weight.

Your reference to smoking made me smile. It reminds me of when I was giving up smoking too – but for me I remember thinking, crikey, if I have to fight these cravings for a cigarette for the rest of my life, there’s no way I can do it – but, they didn’t last, thank goodness.

Doing the BSD, giving up sugar, carbs etc – the whole process always reminds me of that.

Allie, …..still dancing xx

Have a good weekend everyone.
    Marie

• posted by alliecat
    on

That makes me profoundly happy, Marie xx

Allie

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Hi Marie, thanks for your post. It really helps to know you are not alone – I know that doesn’t improve things, it does help you feel more ‘normal’ though. I think we all get so bogged down and forget to come up for air. And also we forget to make time to smell the roses 🌹
    Keep dancing Marie 💃

• posted by alliecat
    on

Lynnedb, the wonderful thing about this forum is that we need never feel alone 🙂 We span both coasts of the U.S.A,
    the UK, Australia and New Zealand, not to mention Scotland, Wales and France. With all of these time zones, there
    is always someone out and about! Please just jump on any thread that catches your interest, and we’ll make you
    very welcome. This is an adventure, and the more the merrier!

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Star! WELCOME!!!! It gets way easier and when you feel better its like a wheel starts to turn clockwise instead of anticlockwise. I was weighed at the Medical Centre for assessment. I dont own scales . . . BUT almost two weeks in I KNEW because my trackies were starting to be baggy and my tights slipped on easily! Thats ALL I needed to keep going. Numbers dont count when your feeling better for all the right reasons. Even counting every meal or day can be confronting. SO how I BEAT that was to assess ALL the foods – NOT WHAT I AM ALLOWED – (thats “someone else” pushing our barrow) – rather . . ” these things are recommended and what of those do I LIKE!!” gives you YUR CHOICE. Puts YOU in CONTROL! I found by changing Vocabulary it helps immensely – and one change adds to more very rapidly. I call this my eating programme . . . not a diet. All reference to past “experiences” are gone. (They just serve as memory jogs to revisit the feelings of past negatives which revisits the past food choices as well!) Take one tiny positive and admire it. Even if it means “this half-hour/hour – almost all morning – I havent “THOUGHT of food”. And if you do think of food, fool your body by giving it a drink of water from the jug on the kitchen bench. For convenience, a glass sits next to it. It has crushed ginger, cucumber and mint in it! Having GOOD stuff immediately if not in 5-10 minutes available is a trick. As I speak, my crisper now holds . . . broccoli, celery, baby spinach, leek, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum and mushrooms. On the fridge shelf, I have individual boxes of these mixed vege serves ALREADY PREPARED. Cold meat available is a piece of good cut roasted pork, or chicken. Freezer has a steak, frozen king prawns, salmon fillets. Standard basics in their very own small shelf draw in the fridge are: crushed ginger, crushed garlic, sundried tomatoes, chilli and balsamic vinegar. If I was STARVING for food – (way way back) – heaven knows what I’d’ve have. (Maybe grilled cheese and tomato on toast . . .? NOW . . . in the same time I can put a dob of butter or some olive oil in a pan . . . cut up an onion, with any of the garlic, ginger etc – toss in the cold meat cubed, add a box of the veges . . . toss until all to your taste . . . then top off with baby spinach which wilts in seconds . . . and you have a BEAUTIFUL stirfry. Add a handful of cashews . . . a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar . . . and you could be in the Masterchef kitchen!!! And the batch can be for two meals . . . nothing to do but reheat in a few hours 🙂 I have more hints if you want. Its tricking your brain when it’s stubborn 🙂 You go girl! We are all behind you . . . you will succeed . . .How do we know . . .? because you are already motivated and this time you have many others in the same boat. And we are all rowing . . . not just some 🙂

on

Thank you so much wood duckie! I absolutely agree that the vocabulary we use makes a huge difference to our outlook and the outcome we achieve. Any hints that you have are gratefully received, the support and information I’ve received from this forum is invaluable and honestly, life changing. I’m not thinking about sugar, I’m thinking about all the gorgeous foods I can have, delicious eggs and mayo, yummy cheeses, delicious pate which I’m treating myself to…there’s a world of wonderful BSD friendly foods that I love and am focused on xx

• posted by Lynnedb
    on

Thank you wood duckie for such an inspiring post 👏 it’s amazing all the things we can do to help ourselves on this journey. Being new this week I especially appreciate any tips from you more bsd experienced folks.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

More than welcome to share . . .:) We are all different but on the same line towards goals . . . and they are (whilst similar) – for different reasons. Ive already shared why Im here – (SHORT VERSION for those who missed it – high BS readings and me not tolerating meds . . . having insulin as the only alternative – medicos not even considering a second HBa1c test etc etc etc me being a VERY stubborn independent person inwardly rebelling – demanded further investigations – then receiving a message from a friend of a family member who had been told by THEIR medico – ditch the carbs – and I found THE BOOK! in a charity shop the same day!!!) So mine started out rebelling against medication which I abhore!!! – and to prove lots of what Ive been told by those who THINK they know what we SHOULD eat . . . as not so correct – (and certainly NOT in my case because my “so-called” good menu had been approved by them!!! and I was still in double figure readings even before meals!!! even with eyes, feet etc all in good “nick” as they say . . .) – In an odd way . . . that stubbornness pushed me into protecting myself (who needs to come first right?) – and finding a positive direction to helping myself. Doesnt matter how we get to the start – it where we go with it. And today . . .? well into week 4, after a cravings for couple of hours on Friday night 6 – 8pm, a dithering day of what to do with myself, disgruntled, food doesnt taste/look as good as last week, and why am I doing this moods yesterday . . . today Im calmer. Im guessing Im missing the elation and high-flying Ive been experiencing – for three weeks . . . forgetting the surprise of weight loss- which proves SOMETHING is working!, fewer aches and pains I had previously dismissed as age related . . . and lets not forget the great night’s unbroken REST AND SLEEP Id just been given. (Another bonus I had momentarily forgotten!) Someone wrote there will be hiccups and breakouts, slips and stumbles . . . but I thought I could just do this without a hitch. well obviously I was wrong and Ive been stopped in my tracks to make me realise there must be effort for anything to succeed. And this plateau . . . requires a different set of tools to complete. Just like a computer game 🙂 So Ill switch on – and fire-up my “tool-box” and (not push) . . . through . . . but take a breather . . . acknowledge and accept the past achievements and surprises . . . tread water today . . . dont slip off or TRY anything different . . . just be. Maybe some of my resolve and rebellion and stubborness couldnt keep pace with my progress and needs to catch up.

• posted by LittleJon
    on

I’ve just signed up and have an appointment with my Doctor later in the week.
    But I’m amazed and very impressed by all the help and support here – in this thread. So thank you all so much.
    I also have tried loosing weight over many years and really plan that this will be the start of my new life. The catalyst was reading the BSD Book and realising that it’s the carbs that have been my downfall. I’m a life time vegetarian and although I have never eaten sugary drinks or lived off takeaways (near impossible on a veggie diet) I do just love bread and cheese, or just the bread, also pasta, rice, couscous etc oh and muesli…
    So fingers crossed…

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi all, I was doing really well on this diet and then a few weeks ago I had a lot of things go on in my life which made me fall completely off the wagon and land myself back at square one. I’m back at my original large weight and back to being enormous. However, despite completely failing, I would like to start again and try once more to lose this darn 1 1/2 stone and more importantly feel healthier. When I lost weight before it felt easier to breathe and walk and I just felt lighter! I want to get back to that. I’m so disappointed with myself for not dealing with life’s problems in a healthier way but just immediately turning to cake and biscuits and chocolate. But I’m learning. And even though I’m starting from the very beginning again, I’m going to do it. Any support and encouragement would be welcome, I’m feeling very stupid to be honest. And embarrassed to be back in this situation. I can’t bear to look in the mirror as I can see all the fat that has accumulated around my face and my tummy, it looks dreadful. I have got to lose it! I think the embarrassment of being back in this situation when I should have known better is the worst. I feel very ashamed. Looking forward to my day 1 tomorrow…and the shame I feel reducing.
    I had hoped to be wearing a new swimsuit I had bought this weekend for a spa trip…there’s no way I’ll ever fit in it, so I’ll be in my big black costume trying to hide myself with a towel. But my new goal is that my husband is taking me away at the end of September for a hotel break…the first we’ve ever had since the kids were born..,if I could get into this costume by the end of September that would be amazing! New goal!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello there! You HAVENT failed. You have learned heaps about yourself and what food can do. THAT’S HUGE POSITIVES right there! When a baby takes their first steps they fall down heaps of times before they get the hang of it and walk on! SO BABY STEPS sweet lady 🙂 You havent got to do any research or figure anything out nor be blindly setting of not knowing where you are going or where it will lead!!!! YOU KNOW WHERE!!! Thats a HUGE PLUS!!! You KNOW there is success waiting just a few weeks away 🙂 Good job for doing it before . . . and you know you can again! FIRST UP . . . forgive yourself . . . and in 5 seconds move on dear lady 🙂 I think you have also seen how you seek comfort . . . make gift of the next food shopping spree – get some Atlantic salmon steaks, king prawns, baby spinach, bag of stirfry veges, snow peas, a jar of shredded ginger and (if you like it) one of garlic and reward your resolve to return to the land of freedom with gingered stirfry king prawns! followed by . . . a small Greek Yoghurt serve with smashed berry couli . . . and celebrate your new beginning! Go for it!!! Why? ‘cos you’re worth it!!! Please stay in touch with us . . . we will all be right behind you 🙂 Encouragement is but a keyboard message away 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

I personally wish you all the very best 🙂 With out of control BSL’s – this 70+ grandma had been told my diet was GREAT! BUT with (3 diabetic) pills prescribed almost killing me – and being faced with insulin injections . . . even with my feet testing good circulation . . . eyes showing no signs of diabetes . . . etc etc etc . . . discovering this at the same time has been a Godsend!! It has literally saved my sanity. Well it (my diet) wasnt great like several who should – (and supposedly have accreditations to say they KNOW about what is a good diet! hahahahah !!! “whats good for us . . .” and “allowed on a diabetic diet!) Within two weeks on this eating programme . . .(NOTE I didnt call it a diet! because it is my new menu/programme/ lifestyle . . .) – BSL’s were dropping DRAMATICALLY. My unexpected side effect was – now eating what I like from a wider range of things – but minus things which were heralded . . . like rolled oats, crispbread lunches . . . . . brown rice (very occasionally) – very little bread and always one LOADED with seeds etc., 4-5 weeks in . . . . Ive DISCARDED – (note I didnt say lost ‘cos basic self will go looking for it!!!) – at least 11kgs. Im eating AMAZING food – way better than ever before – at no extra cost!!! – and feel AMAZING!!! Energised, sleeping better, more alert and happier I dont even WANT to go back to the medicos . . . well not just yet anyways . . . . else I might say something out of place 🙂 What I do know is Im staying with this forever . . , but in 6 months, Im asking for a new set of blood tests – and then and only then – if I still have any blood sugar issues which are so drastic they need a more drastic intervention or assault on my body – will such be addressed. And IF there is decision to be made, it will take a long time.GO for it and the very best of luck!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

WoodDuckie — you have a wonderful way of understanding — and you’re right, but by bit, step by step we get better and better with this way of eating — I have said many times, you have to LEARN how to do this way of eating — I got better and better at it as I kept on doing it, falling off, starting again, falling off, starting again… ultimately my brain sort of got the story straight and it got easier and easier.
    I loved your idea about the “gift” of buying great good like salmon and ginger and king prawns! That is a perfect way to look at it — all those beautiful and yummy foods — in California it is wild King salmon season, and I’m stuffing myself on it — it’s such a short season (just a month or two) and it’s pretty expensive but I think of it as my gift to myself and I buy big pieces!

Please log in or register to post a reply.