Bought the book, ready to start, 1 concern

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mrsp2008
    on

Hi, i’m gearing myself up to start the 8 week diet. I have been a type 2 diabetic for around 5 years. In 2008 I had gestational diabetes, prior to that I was glucose intolerant. I am overweight and I have tried both rosemary connelly and slimming world. I lost weight on both, but i’m kind of at a standstill.
    I’ve read the book and understand the science behind the losing weight quickly; my concern is I don’t want to be left with lots of saggy skin.
    How have people combatted this please?
    Thanks x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh lordy Mrsp2008, now this is seriously funny — (serious and funny) — my personal experience is that there is NO way to avoid sagging skin when you lose significant weight and I have been very sad to see “crepe” arms and belly jiggles appear as I lost significant weight — BUT I would say that some of it gets better (I am 6 months in here) and exercise helps the most to tone it up BUT I have decided that it is far better to be a bit saggy than fat! Actually, I was wondering recently about a tummy tuck — it might do the trick! I never would have considered one before, but I have worked very hard to get my saggy belly skin (by not eating) and I might have earned the right to have one!😜

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Californiagirl, my daughter had a tummy tuck around 5 years ago, but before they would do it she had to lose 3 stone to get around 9 stone. The operation was terrible, they cut you from one hip around to the other as well as removing your belly button while they cut out the chunk they are going to get rid of, then sew it all back up, belly button included. There is a 3 month recovery period as it is a massive operation. She couldnt drive for 6 weeks and couldnt lift up the children. She healed very well but still gets the occasional leaking wound. I had to go back to UK to look after her and the kids. Really, it is a horrible operation. I do know though that she would do it again. She has gained and lost weight again and remains taut around the middle as they sewed all the sagging muscles back into place.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

oh yuck sunshine-girl. That does not paint an attractive picture or sound like anything I would like to experience. Well, I was really only daydreaming but now I think I will just satisfy myself with the most attractive one-piece bathing suit that I can find! Think of all the money I will save! Thank you for the information. i hope your daughter is all well now.

on

Hi Californiagirl, she is well over it and does not regret it but I cried when I saw the state of her. She is the same daughter who was at the almond conference, she was staying in Loki at the Wine and Roses Hotel.

• posted by Frog
    on

ewww – I wasn’t thinking about it, but that would have put me off if I had been! Glad she’s OK now Sunshine Girl
    I was wimpy enough about the 4 tiny stitches in my back this week!
    – today is the first day they haven’t been itchy, and no pain killers.

on

Oh Frog, have I scared you. It was in answer to a comment made by Californiagirl on the subject of getting rid of a saggy belly when we lose weight.

• posted by Frog
    on

Yes, I saw your post then read back though the thread.
    Someone I worked with just before I started BSD had some kind of bariatric surgery – she did loose a lot of weight which was impressive, but one of the inspirations for me to start BSD before I got to the point where I needed it myself!

It’s nearly a year ago now since she had the operation, I must pop in and say hello & see how she is getting on.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

MRSP i think to a large extent it depends on yr age..up to about forty years of age,we still have that lovely elasticky collagen that keeps skin firm. We can diet – i know i did! – and skin just snaps back as weight is lost.
    After forty we start to wrinkle as collagen supplies dry up and we then find menopause looming with loss of oestrogen. It gets tricky then coz you might well find youre left with surplus skin if you lose weight…specially if you lose weight fast.
    I am 66 and i know that after i lose weight,its highly likely that i will look better dressed but worse undressed.
    I also feel sure, from what other weight losers say,that it will be even more uncomfy having loose skin hanging around rather than fat.
    Getting older is not fun in many ways but better than the alternative! πŸ˜€

However I am guessing that as you had a baby in2008, youre still quite young and should be able to lose and be nice and toned,specially if you exercise as you lose!
    Good luck and keep us posted! X

• posted by Frog
    on

I lost quite a lot of weight just before I turned 40 – and didn’t have problems with hanging flabby bits, so second that youwzer.
    I don’t know what happened – I wasn’t particularly trying to diet (for a change) but went down to a size 12, still have the suits in storage. In retrospect, can’t believe I put it all on again, plus a bit more, but I suppose we’ve all been there.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I’ve lost nearly 2 and a half stone on BSD and at the tender age of 60 (today, have I mentioned that?!) I can concur that I now look much better dressed! I’ve gone a bit wrinkly and saggy everywhere, arms, thighs, ( not calves, so show them off) and stomach. I find it strangely fascinating, tbh! I’ve started doing daily exercises a la Michael Mosely from the book, adding one extra a day. I’m now up to 29 reps ( I understand this is the term!) but still wrinkly. Oh well, maybe the skin will start to snap back soon. 😜

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think a certain level of wrinkles are inevitable, sadly – you can’t win it all – but Palmer’s Cocoa Butter is nice. There are various versions, I’ve been using the one with collagen in, goodness’ knows if that makes any difference.

I can’t say whether there’s any improvement, but nice to moisturise the skin, and I absolutely love the smell…….:)

• posted by LindaA
    on

I’m 56, post menopausal and have gained and lost more weight than I care to admit to. I guess I’ve just got good skin as I’ve never had stretch marks, even through my 2 pregnancies and I’ve just lost 23kg in 16 weeks and there’s no stretch marks or sagging. I don’t know why, but believe me, I’m grateful.
    Maybe it’s just down to good luck (or genetics) after all.
    Oh…and I use no creams or lotions and the only exercise I do is walking!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Imogen
    on

Happy Birthday Bissell! πŸŒ»πŸ’πŸŽΆπŸŽ΅πŸŽΆπŸ’πŸŒ» Hope you have a lovely day.

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Drink like a fish and hope. From what I’ve read, if you drink over 2 litres a day, it helps as you lose weight. I drink around 3 litres a day. Only lost 1.5 stone. Not sure what to expect but hoping for minimal saggy skin after I’ve removed all 9 stone.

After I’ve done the 8 week course, I will go to the 5:2 and try and get to a max of 2lbs loss a week. Exercise definitely helps especially when your sweat during it.

No matter what the end result, I wouldn’t do any surgery either.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh no! YOWZER?! I’m not looking forward to getting older – that’s for sure!!

I drink around 3 litres of water a day too GAVINFABL! Since giving up coffee (I know, it was hard to start with but I don’t miss it now) I have around 6 cups of Green Tea a day – that DEFINITELY helps!!

My skin at the moment is so soft – maybe that’s all the water too – or the thousands of vitamins I’ve started taking – or both – or the low carbs. I can’t believe how easy I’m finding low carbing now. I never thought I’d be able to give up Cadbury’s milk chocolate – or cereal. Man Alive! This way of eating is amazing!!

Bean xx

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Linda, you probably do have good genes, but I would hazard a guess that all that walking would have a lot to do with your loss of sag. You have inspired me! Now where are are those shoes and socks? I do remember one Australian biggest loser where nearly everybody ran, and ran and ran, ….and one who lost heaps could not run – she biked around the world several times and won the comp, but she was about the only one with saggy arms. So keep walking

Bean I love green tea – it is my saviour also, and ginger water, yum

Ruth(::

• posted by LindaA
    on

You could be right Ruth, I think in the 16 weeks I’ve been doing this, there’s only been 3 days I haven’t been able to walk due to the weather!
    I also drink a huge amount of herbal teas, passionfruit is my current favourite, but I keep switching when I get bored and I find them on special at the supermarket.
    Keep going, it really does get easier the more I do itπŸ˜€
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.