Blood donor help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Orochimaru
    on

I started the BSD last week and it is going really well, I have lost 8 pounds already.

However, next week I am due to donate blood on Friday and I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

I am planning to eat more calories on the day but should I also eat more on the days running up to it?

Does anyone have any experience donating blood on this diet? Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Although not a medic I would think that unless you are prone to fainting or anaemic it shouldn’t make any difference how many calories you have had. Let your body tell you, if you feel shaky after have a few nuts – do not see it as an excuse to have the biscuits they offer. I cannot see a need to feed yourself up before donating, just check your bloods after and see how you feel. Good for you giving blood, wish I could but not allowed on meds.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi.
    It’s the fluid balance that causes dizziness post donation, if you are feeling well, drinking well pre donation, then it should all be exactly the same as normal. Eating healthy food is not contraindicated for blood donation. In fact the opposite. But if you have been feeling unwell in any way pre donation then you need to discuss this with the medical officer on site on the day. Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Jan

• posted by Orochimaru
    on

I was not thinking about eating unhealthy food just increasing my calorie count from 800 to more like 1200-1400 but still keeping to the diet. I have had problems with light headedness before which is probably mostly due to an inner ear problem

• posted by greenjanet
    on

I’m sure it will all be fine, it’s good though to be mindful, then we don’t get caught out. Well done for donating, more should do it. It saves lives and allows so many operations to go ahead. Unfortunately I cannot donate as I have lupus anticoagulant. Hope it goes well
    Regards
    Jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.