Bit of a traumatic first week, but getting there now!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Hi Everyone,

I am 5 days in on the Fast 800 diet. I have always had big spikes and drops in my blood sugar (sleepy after carbs and shaky if I was in need of fuel!). I also used to get ‘Hangry’ a lot- (hungry+angry= hangry- Lol!! )

I did a fasting blood sugar test first thing on the morning of day 1- it was 8.2!! I repeated it and it was 7.2. That would mean I am diabetic!! I was really shocked and worried so rang the GP who sent me for a HbA1C.i went ahead anyway and I have checked it again- once on day 3- it was 5.8 ( still in the ‘pre diabetic’ range) but a relief all the same. Today’s was 4.9 (normal range) phew! I don’t know if the original one was a ‘rogue’ result or not, but I’m keeping an eye on it and hope it continues to stay in the normal range.

Ok, so far, the first two days I had a splitting headache, which settled on day three. I’ve had a really sore tummy at times- not sure if it’s the fats, but it gets better with more fluids, especially if they are warm…..? That too has improved today along with increased energy, better mood and less brain fog. I have felt hungry at times but have found that having a 2 litre bottle of water handy helps so I can swig from it regularly! I haven’t craved bread which is amazing for me because I LOVE it.
    The recipes are gorgeous, I love them so it’s a winner for me. Once I’ve lost a stone and a half, I’ll switch to low carb med style.
    I am due to visit friends in London for a couple of days this weekend and am nervous about managing my calories. I worked out that if I eat full English without the bread for breakfast and salad for lunch and dinner, I might be ok, but it’s the alcohol that worries me. It will be a boozy affair with girlfriends- eek! Any tips? What’s best to drink?
    Thanks in advance!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Sounds like you started this just in time Mummytummy. You won’t go on to develop diabetes if you can get the eating under control now. I wonder if the shakes/ sleepy thing is a warning sign of problems to come?
    This used to happen to me when I was an impoverished student living on cheese on toast, beans on toast, jacket potatoes etc. basically whatever cheap food I could afford ( lots of toast lol).
    That was years before I became a diabetic, probably because as soon as I could afford decent food and veg my eating improved.
    For your weekend away could you limit yourself to a couple of spritzers or maybe ask the bar staff to give you mineral or soda water in a wine glass with a slice of lemon? They will be used to people staying off alcohol for various reasons. Your mates will understand and look out for you if you explain you can’t drink alcohol because you’re being tested for diabetes. Alcohol makes you hungry so you’re more likely to give in to late night munchies if you indulge!
    The English breakfast is a good idea. For dinner you could have meat or fish and steamed veg ( no potatoes), skip the bread but use the butter on the veg.
    Good luck this weekend and stay strong ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Aww thanks Cherrianne, that’s very kind! ๐Ÿ˜„ Great tips about the booze thank you.
    It’s funny you should say that about the ‘early warning signs’ – my friend who is a nurse always used to wonder if I had some kind of pre diabetes thing going on- even when I was an 8.5 stone twenty something ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Your post will bolster my efforts this weekend!
    Xx

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

You are through the worst of it now by the sounds of it. The carb withdrawal sounds like it’s run it’s course.
    So now you’ll really start to enjoy the extra energy, weight loss and feeling of well being that are the benefits of eating this way.
    Enjoy your weekend and post how you coped. It will help the next person who faces the same situation. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mummytummy
    on

Will do! ๐Ÿ˜‰ X

Please log in or register to post a reply.