Baby steps

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RA@notts
    on

Hi I’m new and I am getting ready start the BSD. I’m type 2 diabetic and I have been for almost 12 years now and for almost 3 years I have been on basal insulin along with tablets. My weight is around 74kg and this is not the first time I’m trying the diet , I tried to do the 600-200 cal shake diet but it was too much for me. My health has been a mess and I’m a terrible Diabetic because I love chocolate, cakes, biscuits these are my go to foods for every problem I ever had! I might sound like a addict saying this (that’s cos I am) I have been 6 days clean of refined sugar I haven’t had any of my usual treats at all. On the first day I decided to stop eating sugary things I found the BSD book (by accident at waterstones) and cutting things that were coming up in the book that I was eating too much of like giant jacket potatoes, chips, bread, chips, pasta, chips … U get the idea. And since I tried cleaned up what I’m eating and added in more good food (more veg and fruit) i have already started to feel the benefit. This time two weeks back I was putting my insulin up a few units everyday and sneaking in an extra tablet and I still couldn’t get my sugars bellow 12!! I felt horrible everyday with no energy, I was struggling to work or focus and I felt myself sinking into depression again. Since I cleaned up a bit I feel way more energetic and I have even found (within one week!!) I don’t need to take the insulin anymore, it was just giving me hypos !! The tablets alone are controlling my blood sugars and I haven’t even started the diet yet! I plan to start as soon as I have spoken with my doctor and got the ok tomorrow. I have had some negative reactions from my family (like don’t get your hopes up and not everyone comes off the mess) but it’s understandable and I have asked them not to say it cos I’m ready for the worst. I am also a bit worried about some of the receipes in the book. I am only now teaching myself to eat fruit and enjoy it I don’t know if I’m disaplined enough to do 800 cal for 8 weeks, I’m hope I am. If I could loose weight and get off all my diabetes medication that would be an massive bonus for me .

• posted by Desperate dieter
    on

Hi baby steps
    You have done the hardest part already… Choosing to improve your diet and follow this programme. Everyone on the forum is really supportive and prompt replies and help are always available here. If you have seen such a dramatic improvement in such a short time, you’ll be really impressed by the benefits when you start the diet proper. Good luck and keep us posted. You can do this.
    Much joy

• posted by RA@notts
    on

Hi Desperate Dieter thank you for your kind words it’s really amazing to have someone send such a positive reply so fast and I can’t wait to get started. I think I’m definately going to need that support though.
    Feeling Boosted!

• posted by Patsy
    on

RA, you say sugary things were your ‘my go to foods for every problem I ever had’ – but you’ve already proved to yourself that they’re the cause of some of your problems rather than an answer. It’s great thet you’re seeing improvements already and I’m sure you’ll soon feel even better.

The diet does take a little adjusting too, but you’ll findnew foods you enjoy just as much and which will make you feel good in the long term and not just when you’re eating them.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi RA,
    You are doing amazingly well, I’m so impressed with your results already. 🙂
    You can be justifiably proud of yourself for your willpower and hard work.
    Give yourself another week or two and those sugary carbs will have lost their appeal.
    Read the ‘this has to work for me’ thread and follow Bill’s journey, it will inspire you. Get a daily dose of the posts on here to motivate you. Also dip into the forum when you are tempted to stray, tell yourself you have to do ten minutes on here first. Pretty much guarantees you’ll lose the urge to indulge in the wrong food.
    I want to keep reading your progress, it will inspire others too, so please keep posting. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.