Are all calories equal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

Hi, I’m in week one also first time post to the forums. I really feel the BSD 800 is going to help but realise it will take more planning than first thought. I’m especially having trouble in getting consistent information from the web world regarding the calorie content of foods. I am looking up the calories for a butchers bought lamb steak. Google says 100g is 294 cals, Caloriecount says Asda is 205 and Tesco 155. Fatsecret has M&S as 230 and Waitrose as 187. Then Fitnesspal has Tesco as 120 and Sainsburys at 240. All for 100g of the same food. It makes meal planning and keeping to 800 cals a day increasingly difficult. Has anyone else found this an issue and resolved it. Thanks

• posted by Patsy
    on

I suppose it depends on how lean the meat is, but that does seem a wide variation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi whalleyrange, I would say try not to worry. A number of people have queried calorie count of recipes in the book I’ve followed the book and have lost 2 stones 6lbs so far and now have a bmi of 22.1 so if you stick to the principles of the diet it does work.
    Bill has lost a lot of weight following the principles of low carb, full fat and plenty of water and his stats are amazing! 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the forum – hope you will enjoy posting and sharing your progress.
    I use nutricheck.co.uk and stick with it, unless there is calorie and carb info on the packaging (none of a butcher bought steak of course) but in most cases on nutricheck, it has a general value as well as values for food purchased from a specific store. Think you just need to select the calorie checker that you are comfortable with and use it exclusively for foods that don’t have the nutritional values on the packaging.
    Don’t panic too much about being dead on 800 per day. There will be days you are a bit over and others when you are a bit under – over the course of the eight weeks, it will balance itself out.
    Good luck and hope to see you posting some positive results soon.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Remember that a lot of the numbers on these sites (myfitnesspal certainly) are crowd sourced. Someone just typed it in. And I have seen a few which have the wrong number. In one case I am sure that someone typed the number from half a pack (so 125g) as the 100g number. Another had serves three (no way does it serve 3 that is a fiction, but a rant for another time) and the person had halved the size rather than dividing by 3. In some other cases I think that they might have reduced the number of calories for the same product. The numbers you see look like someone has made the same mistake for Tesco v Sainsbury.

Or could some be the cooked weight and some be the raw weight?

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

I never knew that the Fitnesspal data came from people recording the nutritional figures themselves. Will explain the wild variations and so will need to find another calorie counter app. I’m sure that as I go further I will start to learn what sounds right and wrong. I like the discipline of e calorie restriction as it really motivates me to use all the cals I have as tasty as possible. Thanks for the replies and advise they have been very helpful and encouraging. It’s the end of week one for me and lost 3kg.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Whalleyrange 3kg in first week is impressive, well done 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.