Anyone just started the blood sugar diet? Any tips?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Onamission
    on

Hi,

I have been getting everything set up to start the blood sugar diet tomorrow. I am quite nervous about it as although I am not diabetic, I have developed a ridiculous carb and sugar addiction over the years. This is something I need to do for my health as there is type 2 diabetes in the family and I would be devastated if I developed it.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips? I’m guessing that keep busy to take my mind off it might be good thing! But at the same time, I feel I need to be a bit obsessed with it to keep me focused.

I’m nervous about how I will manage but excited that I will soon be shifting some weight!

Help and advice on starting out would be much appreciated! Thank you

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi and welcome to the forums
    Seriously, the best tip I can give you is to have a read through the forum. There are so many people on here at varying stages of the plan and they are all posting their experiences on a daily basis now.
    Also checkout the recipes section for some mouth watering meals.
    Don’t be nervous, just go for it, drink lots of water (2 – 3 ltr /day ) and keep up your fat intake to help combat initial side effects.
    Look forward to seeing your week 1 results.

• posted by Buxtonmick
    on

Well done first off for recognising that you may have a problem and you’ve actually decided to take action! So you’re all set to take the plunge tomorrow ( what happened to today?! ;0) ). Don’t worry, just bear in mind why you’re doing it and what the alternative may be. I presume you’re somewhat overweight? Well one of the advantages of the 800 is usually the rapid result which gives encouragement to stick with it. Do you have a target? It’s a good idea to set one rather than setting off aimlessly, and if you haven’t already, read the book for guidance and further encouragement. Well done again and good luck!
    Mick.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi onamission, welcome to the forums! Like Bill said drink LOTS of water, herbal teas, fizzy water with lemon or lime even try hot water with lemon as it is comforting, you need that amount of liquid on this diet but it also helps with any hunger pangs in the first 3 or 4 days.
    You’re doing the right thing – starting this diet before you get heath problems, there are many of us on here who wish this had been around years ago – before health problems began.
    Good luck on your mission – I’m sure it will be accomplished!

• posted by silver
    on

I am just a week in – first 2 days were hard in terms gof thinking about sugar. Like you i don’t have any BS probe (as yet) but I have a mega sweetie addiction that I had to break. Good news it gets much easier – much. I had a wee wobble today but didn’t buckle but thats the only one this week. Whats interesting is that i identified it as about to be emotional eating. So if I feel i need sweetness I use all spice in my food. The courgette and apple muffins are great and also peppermint tea is a great. The recipes are all delicious and I have really been enjoying thinking – okay what’s for today! Good luck Onamission! Oh yes I have also lost 5lb this week- so just imagine how you will feel next week. Feel the fear and do it anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ !

• posted by Julia_hc
    on

Hi Onamission – try the recipes even if you think you may not like them. I have been surprised how tasty most of them are. The smoothies are great, there’s one I really dislike but my husband loves (I won’t tell you which one), so always worth a try ! Good Luck and keep with it. It feels like a lot of work at first but after awhile it gets a lot easier (or seems to).

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Can not be beneficial not will not, not too sure are you ?
    You got a diet from your doc that worked for you – good
    There are many people both on and off these forums for whom the diet is working and working well.
    May I ask what your medical qualifications are to make such statements.
    Nice backlink by the way.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Boyjon try this diet first before deciding it does not work. Modern science shows type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed and you may find you are no longer prediabetic yourself. This is working well for so many of us.
    Like Bill I’m pleased for you if the diet advised by your GP worked for you but it is not for everyone – with or without diabetes. Cold (resistant starch) wholewheat pasta salads for coeliacs and gluten intolerants????

• posted by Onamission
    on

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Mick, I know what you’re thinking, the diet always starts tomorrow but it really does ๐Ÿ˜€. Takes time to set up and my time is limited but I’m determined. Yes I’m overweight for various reasons (three babies in three years and basically being greedy!) so this is to loose weight and curb my sweet tooth developed after the birth of my twins. I feel like I’ve tried other things and not stuck to them so this needs to work. Perhaps extreme is what I need rather than diets giving you a tasteless version of a ‘normal’ eating plan.

Thanks again for all the tips! Actually looking forward to getting started now!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Onamission, I unfortunately am diabetic and am on day 2 of the diet. This diet covers everything that a type 2 diabetic needs in terms of lowering sugar levels. I’ve had a few hunger pangs which I expected but apart from that it’s quite easy to follow the plan, especially if you’re determined to succeed. I’ve tried many diets but this specific one suits my aims. I only wish I’d have been given the chance to be a diet controlled diabetic rather than medication 5 years ago!!

• posted by Joanne
    on

I am starting tomorrow! My main worry is hunger disturbing my sleep. Any tried and tested tips to combat this would be welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi. Joanne, my tip is don’t drink too much before bedtime. I went to bed early the first few days and told myself I would not feel hunger once I was asleep. I never wake up hungry!
    Bill’s tip, especially if you are diabetic is est a full fat yoghurt or piece of cheese an hour before bed. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good luck

• posted by Col
    on

Hi Onamission,

I am on day 5 am delighted to have lost 5lbs so far and apart from a tough day 3 have found it much easier than I thought….my tips would be much as above, with the exception of Boyjon, I find mint tea really good, full fat Greek yoghurt is amazingly filling and along with courgette noodles and eggs seem to really help me get through the days without feeling deprived or hungry. Hot water is also good but my greatest help is starting the day with fresh coffee and a tbs of double cream, the fats in the cream keep me going till lunchtime when I tend to have the yoghurt and then there are plenty of the 800 calories left for my danger time….evening!
    Think of this as the beginning of a new way of eating rather than a diet, 8 weeks to settle in and really lower blood sugars and weight and then move into 5:2 or one of the other options.

Great people here and all offering support and help, enjoy your first day and keep us posted !

• posted by Fayzle70
    on

Hi Onamission
    I started yesterday having read the book on Sunday. Just diagnosed pre diabetic plus got raised cholesterol and up and down blood pressure. I’m finding it good so far, drinking lots of water and binned the diet Pepsi! Not sure if it’s OK but I’m eating lunch then dinner as can’t eat first thing but making sure I get my 800 cal in. Try the no carb ploughman’s for lunch – tasty and surprisingly filling. Keep motivated from what people say it works and I’ve been scared into action so fingers crossed.

• posted by Onamission
    on

Hi Joanne, oooh your starting tomorrow too! Good luck! We will have to compare notes as we go along!

And thanks everyone for all the advice. I’m slightly apprehensive as I tried the standard 5:2 diet (500 calories on fast days not 800) and I found it really tough so hoping the extra 300 calories make a difference. Plus I wasn’t really thinking about what made up those 500 calories so hopefully the good days and protein will sort it out.

The only other worry is that it sounds like the Atkins diet of high fat and protein which turned out to be very unhealthy and actually dangerous! Any thoughts on that comparison?

• posted by GayleE
    on

I have been on the diet for 2 weeks now and i actually sleep better. Not sure why. But its possibly because I don’t crash out on the sofa after work any more. In fact I have loads of energy.

• posted by GayleE
    on

Sure this is high protein and low carb but it advocates good healthy food.You could live on sausage and bacon on the Atkins. (I tried it back in the day). I feel really good on this diet and my fasting blood sugar is dropping everyday.

• posted by Funloving
    on

This is directed to Boyjoy44 regarding the GL diet
    YOU ARE NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.
    Committing to anything is hard enough without someone, anyone challenging our decision.
    We are all here to give it a go, so just let us get on with it.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Funloving,
    There will always be someone who pours scorn on your efforts. You haven’t said who your post is aimed at but I think I can guess. That person has very obviously got their own agenda and you have to feel sorry that he’ll never get the benefits we are enjoying on this diet.
    My Mum always says of annoying people ” just ignore them and they’ll soon get bored and go away”. Don’t let the negativity put you off! You are doing something good for your health so stick with it. Prove him wrong by posting your achievements ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Sorry Funloving, you obviously were editing your post as I was typing! You had directed your post at the person I suspected. Makes you wonder what his motives were for joining the forum?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well said, Cherrieanne ! ( re boyjon44) I don’t think you, Bill and I are the only ones suspicious about his motives. My mum would have said the same as yours.
    Good on you, funloving, ( re boyjon44 ) you put it in a nutshell. Onward and upwards to our new, healthier and more energetic lives ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi welshyorkshirepudding ( wow that’s quite a moniker) welcome to the forums and good luck on your new journey. Stick with it and you will love the results!
    Tips: drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day

Remember to use full fat dairy not low fat
    The recipes in the book and on this site are good to follow as is the thread what I have eaten today.

Do you mind if I just call you Welsh in the future?

Good luck and you will find lots of help and support from people on these forums ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Don’t worry about him folks
    He was either just a troll (the lowest form of forum life) or he had an agenda as he dropped a link to this diet in there so probably just a publicity seeker.
    It’s an internet thing Called SEO and too complicated to go in to on here.
    We’ve already had the diet pill merchants and as the forum gets more populat it will get worse.
    Hello to Welsh and Funloving, nice to see you two.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Bill, I had never heard of an SEO, as you know I am not very tech savvy. I hadnt even noticed the diet pill merchants! Knowing you understand what is going on is a comfort as we know you will be protective of us and these forums, thanks

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He he,
    part of what I do is running 2 internet sites, I have a bathroom and heating business along with my son in law.
    Believe me, I know all about trolls and link droppers.
    the worst is still to come, as the forum gets more popular, we’ll see more and more of this going on.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s so sad, Bill, that these type of trolls and leeches ( you’re right there. Cherrieanne ) can infiltrate our positive forums. As my mum would have said ‘fore warned is fore armed’ so glad you are knowledgeable about these things Bill

• posted by Pollyjones
    on

Hello, I am starting the diet today, I am lucky that my husband is doing it too. I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I am determined to do something about it. I have all sorts of anxieties about keeping to the plan but the fridge and cupboards are clear.
    Please wish luck.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Best of luck Pollyjones
    Don’t be nervous, the diet is a breeze after the first few days when you may experience some mild side effects which are easily combatted.
    You have the extra support of having your husband as a diet buddy but if you need any help at all just shout.
    The BSD forum is full of willing helpers.
    Be sure to keep us informed of your results as you move through this exciting new lifestyle.

• posted by Onamission
    on

Good luck Polly! It’s my first day today too. Really didn’t need my youngest getting up at 4.30am and not going back to sleep! Still, so far so good but it is only 10am!

Hope it goes well. Great that your husband is doing it too.

• posted by Inka
    on

Yes, I have. Started on Monday. Was 96kg and this morning I was 94.2kg. Cant believe this seems to be working. I must have just about tried all the diets under the sun to no avail. Its early early days though, but I am determined to loose. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but after reading all the indicators about pre-diabetes in the book, this could be me. My waist circumference and BMI speak volumes. Pretty scary what diabetes can do to you! I am looking forward to sharing my progress with you and hear about yours ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Welcome Inka, those are impressive results ๐Ÿ™‚ you are certainly taking the right steps to prevent any future issues with diabetes.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Inka you bring up a good point
    For years the public has had no understanding of the disease. When I was a kid if you knew someone who had it you said “oh he’s got sugar” and that was it.
    It wasn’t until a friend of my dad’s who had it died after having various body parts amputated that it hit home just how serious this could be.
    Sadly I know only too well how bad retinopathy can be, neuropathy and gangrene are also major risks apart from little personal effects that you don’t mention. The old adage “a diabetic wants to die with both eyes and both feet still intact” rings true
    It’s about time that there was a massive media campaign in the same way as they do for cancer to inform people not only about the disease but to suggest ways of putting it right.
    After all this is a world wide epidemic now and it needs to be dealt with ASAP
    They say the human race is destroying the planet, we’re not doing too shabby a job on destroying our health!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the forums Inka! I felt the same when I did the diabetes assessment. I know how horrendous diabetes can be as I have a friend with renal problems and the renal ward usually has a lot of diabetics who have lost limbs and are often blind as well. It certainly scared the life out of me – I really don’t want to get it – so I am eating this way for life!!! Bill is right – there really should be a lot more media coverage about this and a massive campaign. I really hope it happens fast.
    Good luck on this journey, we’re all in it together! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

Hi Onamission
    I started this on Sunday as I too am not diabetic, but have serious issues with Carbs and Sugar too. I already feel better – I suffer with indigestion and hearburn and this has already improved, and my energy levels are better. Today is my first day in work though (12 hour shift) so we’ll see how today goes!
    Good luck

• posted by Inka
    on

Thanks everyone, for your friendly Welcome. Regarding the media campaign you think should start. After reading all about the bad things which could happen if one develops diabetes, and often does not know until one has symptoms which can’t be ignored, I became more interested in what the medical researchers, scientists and scholars have to say about diabetes and how to treat or cure it: It seems that the jury is still out with many advocating for medication and not so many who suggest life style and nutrition changes only. It seems that this diet is viewed as controversial even though research and numerous medical trials indicate that diabetes is reversible with a low carb diet like this one. It does not make sense to me that so many doctors seem to want to prescribe a pill rather than supporting a patient’s life style changes? Michael Mosely states in his book more than once that many GPs are reluctant or sceptical about this diet. If it makes you better and healthier, than why not support it? I am not a medical person by any means, but common sense tells me that any improvement with minimum intervention is good, right? I understand that anyone on medication who goes on this diet should be monitored by a doctor because their insulin levels change which will have an effect on dosage, it would be nice if doctors would be more willing to embrace innovation in medical science as long as it does not harm anyone, of course. There are some who will support it, and I hope more and more will see the benefits especially when they see the results in their patients. Anyway, we all know why we are doing what we are doing and I whole-heartedly wish everyone a safe and successful weightloss journey! We all need this to get healthy,, and I, like all of you have embarked on this challenge, not because I want to join another diet fad, but because I want to be healthy and enjoy life again. I am not that old, but because I am so overweight, I often feel like I am 100, and to some extend disabled, because I cant move the wsy I ought to….. and I am sick of huffing and puffing when I have to change the linen on my bed :-(… Thanks for listening, just tell me to shut up if I get too annoying … I like discussions :-0

• posted by Sarah111
    on

Hi Denise47 Jones
    I’d be really interested to hear how your shift goes, 12 hours is a long time when you have to try and fit in low calorie meals. If like a lot of us it is easy to ‘grab’ something to eat but often not good and on this diet it is likely to be totally off limits! My habit of a handful of grapes to help when I want sweet things has to go!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sarah you will be amazed but soon you will lose the need for sweeet things – honest
    It depends on what facilities you have at work but if you have a microwave or some other way of heating food the possibilities are huge.
    I’m just polishing off an omelette that I made this morning and reheated. Over the last few weeks I have used meals that we cooked up, portioned, and froze. Chicken broth, lentil soup, home made curry etc.
    I’ve also use cottage cheese or humus with celery and pepper dipping strips, tinned mackeral with salad etc. Your diet is bound only by your imagination
    Inka keep on with the discussions, we love it on here.

• posted by Sarah111
    on

Hello Inka

I totally agree with your sentiments. I have no wish to class all clinician as the same but the issue you mention; ‘ it would be nice if doctors would be more willing to embrace innovation in medical science as long as it does not harm anyone, ‘ is true in so many departments. As someone mentioned in a previous message it would be good to hear if any Dr on here had some ideas, it is the same with regard to your message.
    My next comment might get a reaction……. I feel there are a number of reasons for doubting this diet and here are a few of my thoughts.
    1) Dr’s are trained in specific fields, there is so much to learn, to keep up with, it is difficult to give the time to something ‘new’.
    2) Fear of taking someone off their medication and having something go wrong.
    3) Drug companies pushing their wares…. do drug reps. still take clinicians etc. out to dinner etc???????

• posted by Col
    on

Hi Inka,

You are absolutely right, as someone previously T2 but who has had the diagnosis removed I have still encountered issues with different Dr’s ….

Had pleurisy and saw a new GP, he said ‘oh and as you are diabetic we will need to be very careful with your medication’ . Me…..”um, that will be tough as I am not on any’. Dr ‘ well what about your Metformin and Amlodipine?’ Me ‘ hopefully if you check and see I haven’t had prescriptions for these for 7 years!’
    Dr ‘ well I need to take your BP right away and send you for a GTT asap !’

Results….BP normal and all blood tests, he decided to run EVERYTHING to prove he was right…..cholesterol, sugars etc all ok. Funny he didn’t mention it next time I saw him??!!!

Anyway, I guess we all just keep eating this way and it will chip away at the resistance as the results here are proving it works. I’m back here because I got too slack and started eating badly, putting weight back and I want to get back to where I was, loving the food and feel this is food forever, not a diet.

Good to be here and get so much info and good news…….thanks to Bill for keeping an eye out on the ‘troll’ factor too !

• posted by kph
    on

Well done for taking the time to get yourself organized, I have been doing the diet for 4 weeks now and with amazing results. My doctor is fully supportive and am having extra bloods done and so far so good. Have lost just over 2 stone sleep undisturbed very night now and limitless amounts of energy. Days 2-5 suffered from withdrawals as I was a sugar and carb addict but all worth it now. Good luck on your journey.

• posted by Onamission
    on

Thanks kph. I must admit that I have a pretty horrible headache today despite having had two litres of sparking water and I’m now on the peppermint tea. The hunger pangs are manageable though. Sounds like you’ve had incredible results! I would love to loose two stone! I’m in awe!

• posted by Onamission
    on

Denise47, hope your shift is going ok. It’s definitely seems to be about being very organised this eating plan!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Inka, you are thinking like the rest of us! Doctor’s are afraid to move without the say-so of consultants so they are the ones who need to change first. Sadly things move slowly in the medical world so we must all protect ourselves and others we know as best as we can following this diet. GPs and diabetic nurses will mark the changes first – even my asthma nurse has seen a change in me and is taking this on board! The more of us who do this the faster the change will come.
    Good luck on your journey ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Denise47 and welcome to the forums. I wish you good luck on this journey – not that you need luck – we are all here to support each other!

• posted by Sarah111
    on

hello hashimoto

Delighted to read in your post that your asthma has improved. I’m asthmatic and have seen a gradual decline in my fitness over the last few years, (I refuse to except it is because I’m getting older!!). I’ll cross my fingers this diet helps mine too….. it is only day one so I need to be patient!
    I also agree with your last comment, ‘The more of us who do this the faster the change will come.’ You will get more change, and quicker by the public making the noise than expecting it to happen the other way round. I often think scientist who work in research have to bang their heads off the wall to be heard!

Best of luck.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Totally agree Sarah111 – as soon as a few of us have been on this longer term it will be so much easier to prove the point that it wasn’t an 8 week crash diet with temporary results. Scientists deal with facts and longer term studies so we will be banging the drum rather loudly given a bit of time and in the present spread the word and talk to our medical staff as much as possible!!
    Good luck, there is lots of support on here, it’s full of positive people on the same journey ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good advice there from Bill, I also use frittata as a quick easy on the go meal. Like Bill I have frozen many of the meals I have made in calorie controlled portions. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

Hi Sarah
    Shift went well and I resisted all temptations! I am now tucked up in bed feeling very empowered!
    Denise x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sarah111, there does seem to have been a slight improvement in my asthma but I also have bronchiectasis and have finally been put on antibiotics every other day. I haven’t had a chest infection for nearly two months which in itself should cause an improvement. The asthma nurse was impressed by my weight loss and increased energy levels. I. Showed her my print outs and the book and told her about this site.
    I am currently, under supervision, reducing the amount of inhaled steroids (the consultant had put me on double the standard dose – but I needed it) and it is going well so far.
    I can’t categorically say the diet has improved my asthma – but it may well have done. I’m certainly not huffing and puffing anymore. I will be very interested to hear how your asthma is after a few weeks on this diet ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.