anybody else out there with underactive thyroid, hashimoto's thyroiditis etc

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by joyfuljoyful
    on

Hi folks
    mindful of the advice, I am waiting to talk to my doctor before going on to the low calorie diet. I have however already started to get Mediterranean and I am really feeling the benefit already.

Is there anybody out there who has discussed this with their doctor, what was their advice, and how are you doing?

• posted by BeachBabe
    on

Hello! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2000 and have been on medication ever since. Dr’s have not been very helpful with it, other than to keep writing the prescriptions, so I’ve done a lot of research on my own. I have not discussed this diet with my current dr yet, but have an appointment with him in two weeks and know he’ll be pleased with my weight loss (today is day 9 and 9.4 lbs lost).

• posted by joyfuljoyful
    on

Hi it’s good to know that you are losing weight, (congratulations πŸ˜ƒ) one thing that concerned me was thinking that I would still not be able to lose even on this diet. I seem to be feeling better just from eating Mediterranean, how are you? Are you finding any relief from the million different symptoms of hashi’s?

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi joyfuljoyful
    I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid earlier this year and take Levothyroxine daily.
    Started the BSD around the same time and have been following the diet for around 27 weeks and have lost about 3 stone in weight.
    (I was also diagnosed at Type 2 Diabetic with high blood pressure).
    I must admit I felt dreadful before this diagnosis…..extremely tired, foggy and bad -tempered.
    Immediately I took the prescribed medication I felt so much better but having followed the diet and losing weight I am a new person.
    So I have been doing BSD for over 6 months and lost weight. Now around the same weight I was in 1982!!!!!
    Obviously I still take Levothyroxine but have greatly reduced my other meds.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi joyful..i too have underactive thyroid and have been on levothyroxine for several yrs now
    Havent discussed with GP yet..have an appt in september,by which time i’ll have nearly done my first 8 weeks BSD.
    More to see if my blood pressure has improved than anything else..but also to get blood tests to see how thyroid levels etc are. Like Beach Babe said,my doc will be pleased with my weight loss if nothing else! ( well done Beach Babe! )

• posted by BeachBabe
    on

Please also be aware that the type of thyroid medication you take can affect your weight. Some people struggle on synthetic meds such as Levo and Synthroid. I was on Synthroid for many years and still had symptoms like the tiredness. My research showed that thyroid patients should absolutely avoid gluten, both in food and elsewhere (lotion, etc). No dr had ever told me that before 😑. Going gluten free made the weird red itchy patches on my skin clear up. Plus, switching to natural thyroid meds can help many people shed weight. I switched to WP Thyroid last spring and lost some immediately, though that took finding a doctor willing to prescribe it.
    Good luck to us all!

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Thanks BeachBabe
    Had no idea about the gluten issue. Has made a massive improvement to the way I feel avoiding bread ….processed carbs etc.
    Had some psoriasis but that has cleared up too.
    So busy worrying about the T2 and High BP.
    Researched the diabetes stuff for ages but neglected to learn much about thyroid meds. Just so relieved I felt better I suppose.
    Have lost the 3 stones I was carrying initially but have struggled to lose any more over the last 6 weeks.
    Thanks for sharing the info.

• posted by Apple
    on

Hi everyone, I am new to BSD but had put on over a stone and a half before I was diagnosed with Hasimotos (on top of the other 3 stone I already needed to lose oops!) I found that the Levo hasn’t really helped with the complete exhaustion or brain fog but that going gluten free made a massive difference within a couple of weeks. I’ve been having a nosey at the BSD for a few weeks now and I’ve finally decided to take the plunge! πŸ™‚

• posted by SandraJH
    on

Hi. I have an under active thyroid and diabetes. I had got very low because I thought nothing would ever work. When I asked for dieting advice from the doctors they repeatedly told me there was probably nothing I could do. Fortunately they were wrong. I have just completed eight weeks of the blood sugar diet and I have lost lots of weight and size. Go for it. I found it easy to stick too and you just feel better and better each week.

• posted by joyfuljoyful
    on

Thank you everyone for your replies, it looks like I need to just get on with it! I wish you all the best with diets and health πŸ™‚

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Ate some bread on Monday……not much (actually less than a slice) but it was the first I’d eaten in 6 months.
    Been following BSD 800 during that time so avoiding processed carbs especially.
    Read the info about gluten free yesterday and then ……how I felt yesterday made complete sense.
    Hope I’m not being a hypochondriac or that it was a psychosomatic symptom. Actually I was feeling like this before my google search.
    Couldn’t understand why I felt a bit awful yesterday. Bloated, tired with tingling hands and feet. All my old stuff……pre diet.
    Apparently only a small amount of gluten can make a difference……oops!!!!
    Close to reaching my target weight so if I had reintroduced gluten type carbs it would have been a big mistake that I wasn’t properly aware of. Ignorant newbie mistake. This health stuff is a minefield. Don’t want to be caught up with faddy stuff but this makes sense.

Big thanks.

• posted by BeachBabe
    on

Yes, gluten can make such a difference for us. I wish it wasn’t so- I love bread! I read somewhere that it can take up to 6 months for gluten to get completely out of your system. If you’re on Facebook, much more can be learned in the group “Hashimoto’s 411.”

• posted by Puneet
    on

i have had underactive thyroid for about 21 years (1995) and have been having synthetic thyroxine since. Health has been consistently going down. About 4 years ago got diagnosed with diabetes. weight nearly touched the 90kg mark. i was not aware of the gluten problem. Thanks for putting it out there. since i have been on this diet which is essentially gluten free, the tiredness and bloating has gone. However, my heart rate is high so am wondering if it is the thyroid medicine?

I hope i can stick to this diet for 6 months to completely get rid of gluten. I don’t fancy bread but am crazy about roti/chapati (indian flat bread-unleavened).

my weight is going down but sugar is high especially since my surgery.

hopefully sticking to this diet will start bringing it down

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Good luck Puneet, so glad to hear that you’ve had good results from not eating refined carbs re the tiredness and bloating.

Onwards and downwards – you will definitely be able to stick to the BSD way of life, especially if you’ve seen these results already. What other good things may come, too!

Re the roti/chapati – have you explored gram flour? I know that sometimes Indian breads are made with this?
    We’ve made some really lovely flatbread with it.

Good luck! πŸ™‚

• posted by Veronika
    on

Hi All, can’t believe there is this great BSD chat forum AND there is a thread on Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism and other under active thyroid issues. I have Coeliac disease, diagnosed in my 40s (am now 57); diagnosed with Hashi’s 4 months ago and have just tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis ugh!! I’m starting the 8 week diet tomorrow, in 8 hours, am feeling excited about the possibility of shifting the 20kg I’ve gained in just under 2 years (thank you Hashi’s). I’ve never been ion such a dramatic diet before; have read the book and done lots of prep. Hope I can handle the hunger surges ok.
    I notice quite a few people are interested in eating gluten free… in which case you might find this app useful: “Australian Couliac” at

• posted by Kim91
    on

Hi Everyone, firstly well done for all your efforts, successes and such lovely supportive advice for each other!
    I am 59 and put on 1.5 stone before diagnosis of hypothyroid 6-7 years ago, on 75-100mg Levo……I found the whole Thyroid condition very complex and many of my symptoms have often been blamed or confused with the Menopause too! I don’t have lots of weight to lose at this stage but I’m only 5’2 tall with lots of belly fat around the middle and I watched my mum suffer lots with Type 2 at my age so am just trying to ward off the ‘hereditary diabetes’ if possible. I can feel my health slowly deteriorating, mainly muscle aches, weakness, joint problems, poor sleep, headaches etc.
    Thanks to everyone for the many helpful tips p, especially regarding gluten.
    Like someone else on this forum said – it’s really SOOoo hard to view ‘FAT’ as being OK!!! after keeping it out of our diets for 30 yrs, this one really worries me, how do we know it won’t be clogging up our arteries? But in these firts few days, I’ve been amazed to find I’ve lost 3lbs, maybe it’s just water at this stage but it’s encouraged me to keep going.
    I wish everyone on this forum the very best of success with your individual goals, keep going, it’s great to be part of such a lovely group of people!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Suzannewkvb
    on

Hi folks, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add that I had some blood tests done before and after giving up gluten and the effect, even though I just have intolerance it seems and not anything ‘serious’, was amazing. I had not been supplementing, for several months, to get a useful set of results and my liver function was improved and my B12 was higher than it had ever been.
    6 weeks of abstinence and it was clear that my gut was much happier. I recommend getting a broad screen of blood tests done, going gluten free for 6 weeks and checking again, see what it shows you. I think you’ll be pleased you did it πŸ™‚

• posted by magsb
    on

So pleased to read this thread. I’ve been thinking about doing the BSD but was concerned whether it would be ok with hashimotos. I have so much weight on with this illness and feel quite unwell at the moment with awful fatigue. Reading all your comments I’m now convinced it is the way to go. I’m going to explore what I can eat and stock up on suitable foods. Thank you everyone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.