Any tips for a mum with ravenous kids?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggysmum
    on

Hello out there, I started the programme yesterday – a work day – which went okay and I managed to stick to 800 calories. Woke up feeling virtuous.
    Today i am not working and have been lurking thinking, “mmmm usually I would have had a snack by now”.
    I can’t believe it but I haven’t felt hungry yet, I guess that will come… I genuinely love (should I say loved?) food, everything about it.
    I’m not diabetic but I feel way too heavy and understand that at my weight I’m heading towards the probability of major health problems if I don’t sort it out.
    I have very active kids (all boys, they are always hungry) and when they snack I have snacked. Plus when they leave the delicious food I’ve cooked for them on the plate I eat it. I can’t help it, seems such a waste not to. I’ve got to break that habit because I’m fairly sure that is my main problem, oh and that i can’t resist anything with sugar in it.
    I can be fairly strong minded but the issue for me is whether my willpower holds out… I can also be easily tempted.
    Any tips please? I have a slim active husband and think I will cook carbs for him and the kids and just leave them off my plate.
    Some of the threads on here are so, so inspiring, I hope I can do it too. I would gradually like to get to 9 stone (from 15) that will put me in the middle of my healthy BMI range – am I being too ambitious? Five years ago I was 9 stone ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Okay, I am off to get re-acquainted with my rowing machine, which I haven’t been near for three years.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I cook normal meals for my family and leave the carbs off my plate. I wrap my fajita ingredients in a lettuce leaf instead of a tortilla, I have zucchini “zoodles” with my bolognaise while they have spaghetti, I don’t eat the roast potatoes at Sunday dinner (that one is the hardest!). That way I don’t really have to cook anything different for myself, or different to what I usually cook.

• posted by Ziggysmum
    on

Hello Natalie, thanks for your reply and great I’m pleased to hear it can be done with family in tow.
    Thankfully I’m not a great potato lover, but pasta is another matter ๐Ÿ˜ฐ, ah from now on I must think about my future health and my waistline instead. Perhaps when I’ve lost two stone I’ll award myself a small bowl of lobster linguine.

• posted by hawke
    on

Zoodles are really, really good! Buy yourself a spiraliser. I was dubious but I love them! I’ll definitely be giving myself days off my diet now and again – no blood sugar issues just doing it for weight and I want it to be sustainable. That said, at day 9 I haven’t yet wanted a day off.

• posted by Ziggysmum
    on

Brilliant thanks for advice, I’m going to order a spiralizer: woohoo! The kids might well love it too.
    And chickpea pasta sounds yummy, I’m defo going to look into that.
    By the way can I just check if any of you are eating full fat humous on the BSD? I love a good caramelised onion version, I can probably survive on lettuce, tomatoes and a few daily dollops of that, if its allowed, I’m still haven”t got my head fully around what is and what isn’t. The sugar looks very low on the tub I’ve got in the fridge.
    Hawke that is brilliant you haven’t wanted a day off, I am kinda thinking I can do the same as I have no diabetes issues, my goal also is the weight loss.
    Feeling positive, and willing the sugar and flab to disappear.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yeah I’ve had loads of full fat humus but I would check the label on the one you want, caramelised usually means sugar.

• posted by Patsy
    on

With the snacks, can you have food which is just theirs, rather than for everyone? Keep it separate and if possible buy them snacks you don’t like much.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Can you rearrange the way you serve the food, so that there isn’t likely to be food left on their plates?

For example, instead of dishing up say, lasagne with salad beside it, and having them leave some salad because they prefer the lasagne, serve the salad as an entree.
    Sit down at the table, and let each person serve themselves from the salad bowl.
    Then once that is eaten, have the next course.
    Then, because it is still not served out, what is left is fine to be kept for another day.

Then, do the same with the lasagne, as a second course. The remainder can then again, be frozen or kept for another small meal.

It is good practice for kids to learn to serve themselves, to see how much food there is to share, how much needs to be allowed for others to get a portion, and to judge their own appetite and not take too much and leave it on their plate.
    I’d let them know you are doing this so that you can minimise waste, and say, that it is OK to get it wrong the first couple of times, and to look for seconds if they misjudged, but that waste is something you want to avoid.

• posted by Ziggysmum
    on

Thanks everyone, great suggestions

• posted by Clairebear
    on

Hello there. I don’t have ravenous kids, just a toddler who loves his cereal with raisins, potato anything, pasta with cheese, butter & cream… I got used to hoovering up all his left-overs and here I am a stone heavier than I want to be. Things that have helped – chewing gum as soon as I finish what’s on my plate; being ruthless about portion size (only giving him little servings and then more little servings when he’s finished the first one); composting the any leftovers straight away (those few pieces of butter-loaded fusili don’t look so good when in with the carrot peelings); having a sports bottle full of squash made with fizzy water that I sip while he’s having a snack. Enjoy the rowing…1000m intervals with a 30 sec break used to be my favourite torture ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi All, I’m writing as a grandmother, with two granddaughters and a memory/history of my child rearing and all we ate — so, what would be wrong with just including the young ones in YOUR new diet? The research supports it, children eat too much junk anyway, and you can encourage good eating habits. No pasta, no bread, just good quality protein, veg, and fruits and calcium (cheese, milk).

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi. My twin granddaughters (8.5 years) were with me for about 10 days, just after Easter. I introduced them to courgetti and full fat plain Greek yogurt amongst other things. And they loved it๐Ÿ˜ƒ They said they didn’t like red cabbage, but when they tried mind (slow cooked with apple) they loved it. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

I’m adapting the BSD so that I don’t have to cook different meals for the family. As other contributors have written, I have courgette or butternut ‘noodles’ or cauliflower rice when they have the carb versions. They have wraps and I have gram flour version which are just as yummy. And they don’t notice any difference in the chicken, meat and fish dishes anyway. Oh and the flippin’ kids keep pigging my humous!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.