Alternatives to fizzy pop

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hello everyone,
    I’m just about to start the 8 week programme; I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my blood sugar testing kit. I suspect that I may be around the prediabetic level and so I want to know where I am starting from and hopefully see some positive changes in my blood sugar and, of course, my weight over the next few weeks. To this end, I would welcome any advice/ideas for vegetarian meals. But also I would like to share a suggestion of my own.

One of the hardest things I find to give up is fizzy pop (I put it that way but I know you can guess which brands I mean). I have always justified it by only ever having the sugar-free versions but now I am hearing that even they are not that good for us because of the artificial sweeteners. I just don’t think I can bear a life of tap water and I really, really hate lemon juice. So I have started having fizzy water with a fruit tea bag. The flavour is very subtle but the fragrance helps to make up for that and they are surprisingly palatable and satisfying. I’d love to hear from anyone else who is managing to beat their pop-cravings in innovative ways.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hello!

I started the 800 BSD yesterday, Monday. I was drinking cream soda and lemonade too often but now enjoy sparkling spring water or carbonated water just as much. Instead of lemon or lime I prefer a slice of orange, and I’m planning on trying a few pomegranate seeds next time the diet calls for one. I like the idea of your suggestion of adding a fruit tea bag, going to go and try that.

By the way – I can’t figure out how to start a topic on the forum – I am vegetarian too, have been for decades, but I do eat eggs, and could do with exploring veggie alternatives without compromising the diet. Today the lunch meal included 2 slices of ham but I cooked a veggie sausage yesterday and sliced that – if I bought veggie pretend ham it comes in lots of slices and I hate waste. Don’t think they can be frozen.

Jasmin tea is nice, cool, and in a cafetiere I sometimes steep cinnamon, lemon and sage. Not so good without the honey I used to have but I will get used to it hopefully. I think experimenting with cooled fruit tea bags might be one way to go.

Would someone tell me how to start a forum topic? I can usually figure things out but this has got me beat. Hopefully the brain fog will lift soon…

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Auntylil
    Great to hear from you and thank you for giving me a couple of new ideas to try out.

About adding a new topic – the button is at the bottom of the shaded box for each type of forum. So I picked this one as it seemed to be for ‘new arrivals’. There are three or four threads listed and then it says how many comments there are and just below that is the option to click on to start a new topic.

Good luck!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’ve been doing a bit of surfing and I found a website which has low carb veggie recipes called http://www.allrecipes.co.uk. I’m sure there are other websites too.

Apart from Quorn, I’ve never liked the meat substitutes they laughingly call ham or chicken. But if you enjoy them, perhaps you could just have the meal you mentioned a couple of days in a row so that you use it up before it goes off. I often find that menu plans have too many different dishes in one week and so, as you say, you end up wasting some foods that you have only eaten half of. So I repeat the dishes once or twice in the week to use the food up and then change the menu for the next week and do the same.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Thanks Janet – I totally missed the small print and I don’t seem to get shaded boxes but you sorted it for me.

I don’t usually like any meat substitutes other than Cauldron Cumberland Sausage and some Quorn meatballs. I think I will start a veggie topic to help veggies. I cooked the cauliflower rice and veg curry tonight, enough for three so two helpings are now in the freezer. It was really good and I didn’t miss the usual accompaniments. Looks like chickpeas are in both lunch and dinner tomorrow – I need to switch meals around a bit as you suggest, to avoid waste as well.

I’m finding becoming ‘mindful’ about what I’m eating is coming fairly naturally now I can’t reach for quick fixes and fills and my beloved bread – I have a 500g loaf bread maker which is now pushed to the back of a cupboard – one day!

Going to visit that website you mentioned now. I have a book by Rose Elliot about cooking without sugar that’s good, need to dig that out too. I’m surprised in a way that there isn’t a section for vegetarians and vegans. I was one of those people who thought because I didn’t eat dead animal my cholesterol and BMI wouldn’t be too high!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I think if enough of us bang on about it, we might get a few more recipes. There is another thread in this section called Vegetarian. I have just finished reading it and they also recommended Rose Elliot so I have just ordered one of her books off of amazon for 2 pence!

I’m also a fan of the cumberland sausage but my asda has stopped stocking them and I am finding the ones very salty these days. Another thing that doesn’t help me is I must be the only vegetarian in the world who wretches at the smell of mushrooms!

RIP little breadmaker!

• posted by auntylil
    on

Ah yes, mushrooms. I had one in the veg curry last night and couldn’t distinguish it in that. So often the veggie option eating out is a mushroom with cheese on top of it and they are such slimy characters and I think as a child I must have internalised something about them being poisonous. I have two more Portabello ones lurking in the bottom of the fridge so I need aversion therapy!

Third day today and started off with the no-carb bircher – first time for me eating flaxseed and I quite liked it with Alpro yogurt – had to have that as it’s lactose free and I had two cartons of it already. Now, what to do with a whole carton of apple juice minus 50ml. I think freezing it in an ice cube tray may be the option. I know I don’t need to be completely rigid with the diet but I think if I meddle with it I will lose it. I haven’t been this disciplined since I gave up smoking 12 years ago.

I’m thinking that finding the time to source products and ingredients is part of the attitude shift required for this diet and food changes; didn’t realise how far from thoughtful shopping I’d become. Should I say mindful food shopping.

Wonder if you’ve started yet?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Good morning Auntylil
    These forums are great aren’t they? So many positive people with good things happening. Glad you are finding your shopping mojo, I never need much of an excuse to shop. As well as my blood testing kit and the book you recommended, I am investing in a pedometer, a stopwatch and a food processor. Somehow I got to the age of 42 without needing one! I don’t pay a lot for things though, the pedometer only ยฃ2.50!
    I am absolutely itching to get started after reading about everyone else’s success but I really want to wait until I know what my current blood sugar levels are like. The kit should come today and I can do my test first thing in the morning before having my first bsd brekkie. I tried out the Portobello mushrooms with salmon and poached egg last night but I tried it with raw mushroom which I am a bit better with. But I didn’t finish it. I think I am going to have to make mine own adjustments along the way.
    I hope you find your energy levels rising through the day, I’m sure you will. Have a great day and let us know what you buy!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hm. No sign of my testing kit yet. Sad.

• posted by auntylil
    on

What a bummer for you – hope it arrives in time for you to start tomorrow. You sound like you’re being far more organised about it than I am, but I have a useful app on my mobile about steps, calories burned etc and that’s enough for me – I have two dogs that require a lot of exercise and like monitoring how far I’ve walked. Otherwise very little else achieved today other than cooking. I’m finding the meal planning, making shopping lists and the actual cooking more intensive than I’m used to. Very nearly had a vodka and tonic tonight but talked myself out of it. I am going to a Tesco tomorrow, a large one – unlike you I don’t like shopping much, but tahini, different flours, cummin seeds beckon and they’re hard to find locally. Eating raw mushroom sounds like an endurance test!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oh well done on resisting the g and t, that shows real determination!

My kit didn’t come today, I’m disappointed. I had hoped to start tomorrow so that by the time my husband and I go out for a rare night out with friends in Saturday, their jaws would have dropped when they saw how much weight I had lost in just three days. Complete fantasy on many levels, I know but it gets me through the days!

I wouldn’t say I’m organised, just a bit addicted to spending modest amounts of money! What kind of dogs do you have? We have a mini long haired daxy called milo whom I adore but is completely useless from a power walking point of view.

I really wouldn’t recommend the raw mushrooms. I think you are right that planning is a big part of this, otherwise it will be too easy to fall off due to not having the right things in the house so I am going to start tomorrow to plan a few days menus which I can shop for. Food shopping isnt nearly as interesting as gadget shopping! I’m starting to get threads mixed up in my head – are you in quite a rural location?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

How are you feeling today Auntylil?

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hi there – okay day thanks although feeling different to usual. Still low energy/weak and unable to do much other than walk two Border Collies which to be honest is quite challenging. I trekked off to Tesco and they didn’t have a lot of what was on my list so made a detour on the way home to nearest Sainsbury’s and they do stock coconut flour (ยฃ5 for a small packet!). I’m catching you on another thread so will look for that and get back to you there.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sorry its not been as good a day as you would have liked. Its annoying when things seem to get in our way. But at least you got your coconut flour! My adventurous streak is only stretching as far as quinoa so far. I’m breaking my rule of if I can’t pronounce it I have no business eating it!

You do sound quite low (if that’s possible?). What can you do for a quick pick-you-up?

My testing kit arrived this afternoon (yay!) so I have already done a test two hours after eating which suggested I have normal bs (blooming hurts for such a small hole and so much blood!) and I will do another test in the morning for fasting bs. However, I’m not off the hook as I have two stone to lose and at least three inches off my waist and I know I am addicted to carbs as I answered yes to every question in the questionnaire.

So I’m ready to start tomorrow – I have menu plans done until Sunday. Not surprisingly it didn’t take long!

Have you done any results yet? Have you noticed any changes in clothes yet? You’ll be on day 5 tomorrow, or are you planning to wait a bit longer?

Oh yes – I said a sad goodbye today to Costa (Coffee!) as I will have to stay away for a little while – that will be the real test…

• posted by auntylil
    on

Ha ha quinoa… I’m sure I read somewhere sometime about roasting it. It doesn’t do anything for me but it’s high in protein(?) so if you can eat mushrooms I’m sure I can rise to the challenge. Over these 8 weeks I shall be eating many things I’ve never heard of before. I keep looking at what I got today – including miso and tahini. Things like soy sauce I haven’t had for years because I always thought I might have IBS or Candida but guess what? Since starting the BSD I have not had any symptoms of that sort of thing. Liberating.

I’m not low really, but definitely feel different to usual. I tend to be a little low and inward normally. I’m having a small glass of red wine and listening to loud music, they help. I’m thinking of taking up yoga again as there’s no way I could do anything strenuous unless something miraculous happens. These forums are invaluable for the support and information and thank you for taking an interest. Like you I need to lose two stone and 3″ off waist at least. At least should be in italics!

I’m following the meal plans in the book almost exactly but unsure about only two meals at weekends. You can have coffee you know – max one a day I think he says. I had a black coffee in the week which sorted out a headache. There’s an awful lot of withdrawal going on!

I’m not checking my blood readings as I’m not pre-diabetic or diabetic according to a recent check. I have high cholesterol and thyroid problems though, and a BMI of nearly 30, weighing in at 13st 10lbs. They may not seem too worrying for some however I know I do have a lot of visceral fat and the old liver and pancreas would play up soon. I would like to lose 3 or 4 stone, to be back where I was before I had thyroid disease. I haven’t noticed any change in clothes because I live in baggy jumpers and leggings most of the time but that has got to change. When I’m out walking add on waterproofs and fleeces so it’s hard to know what might be going on!

I’m so glad you can now start as it’s exciting taking control and joining this amazing diet plan, really, as you were so ready for it. Have you watched any of the TED talks on YouTube about reversing diabetes? Very encouraging if ever you flag a little. Yes, I am in a little town that’s in the middle of nowhere really. I can see snow on mountains in one direction and pastoral plains in others! But within a 20 mile radius there are several towns too.

Happy Eating (of the right things that is)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sounds idyllic, where you live. I bet your dogs love their walks. I have an underactive thyroid too, taking 75 mcg a day but I think having it makes it harder to lose weight. Its one of my big questions whether I can lose weight as quickly as the others here. I’m glad you’re enjoying a glass of red and music is great therapy. I’m less worried about you now! I can’t drink red wine myself, it all tastes like vinegar to me but I see that as a blessing really. Coffee is a different story but I love a sweet latte and there just isn’t room for the calories. I do intend to have one once a week though, which I hope will be a carrot to keep me going. I must look for these TED talks, I’ve heard there are all sorts of interesting topics covered.

So my husband is rolling his eyes at the thought of me starting yet another crazy diet and thinks I fall for anything. Absolutely hope I can prove him wrong with this one!

Have a lovely evening!

• posted by JennieS
    on

Hello!
    Just joined from NZ. I drink a lot of water so got a tap filter which improves the taste. Putting bubbles in with a Sodastream improves it more. But it can still be boring. Would love to know more about cooled herb teas that people have tried. Some are good with fizzy water. I like lemon grass and ginger, and lemon verbena makes a nice lemonade without the acidity of lemon (and went down well with the family.) Taking the trouble to serve it in a pretty glass helps too.

Liquorice tea seems to help with craving for sweetness but I’m told it can speed up the heart. Doesn’t for me. Haven’t tried it cold or fizzy. Might do that ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Jennie
    Is that NZ as in New Zealand? Welcome to the forums, Auntylil and I have both just joined this week too. I’m sure you’ll find these forums great fun.

I’m a total pepsi addict so one of my biggest challenges is switching to something sweetener -free. So I have been drinking fizzy water with cherry and apple tea bags, which remind me a bit of cherry coke and apple and cinnamon which smell like Christmas! I have to say it is more the smell than the taste that counts as I find all herbal/fruit teas don’t taste as strong or as sweet as they smell. But I have surprised myself that I have been able to enjoy them just fine. Mint and chai are my other favourites but I haven’t tried them cold or fizzy yet.

How are things going for you? What brought you to the blood sugar diet?

• posted by JennieS
    on

Hi Janet
    Yep, I’m in New Zealand. Where are you? I’m very new to forums like this – usually only use this sort of thing for work topics. But this is my last year of work before I retire, so time to make some changes! What brings me to the diet? I’m borderline pre-diabetic and hopelessly overweight. In fact all the indicators are creeping up – BP, cholesterol etc. Let’s see how this works. Day 8 today, and the first day I’ve had to cater for husband (who’s been away in UK and is inclined to offer me a glass of wine at the end of the day). Doing OK so far. Have asked him not to buy wine in (pity, NZ Pinot Noir is a favourite!) but to stick to the craft beers/ciders that he likes and I hate. I’m actually feeling so much better that it’s not too hard to stick to the diet.

The challenge for me comes around the 5 week mark, when I’ve lost a noticeable amount of weight and getting bored with the diet. “It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change,” they say, but for me it isn’t. I already eat healthy – cook fresh ingredients from scratch etc, don’t have a sweet tooth. But I eat too much food. And drink too much wine. I’ve done this sort of thing so often! Hope I can keep it up this time around

• posted by JennieS
    on

Just read the whole thread – should’ve done that first I know. I’m a newbie at this sort of thing. I’ve been doing yoga off and on for about 30 years and it’s amazing for mental balance. Current classes start at 7am so it’s REALLY hard to get out of bed in order to get there, especially on a work day but always worth it when I do. Has anyone else tried the Headspace (meditation) app? It’s mentioned in the book. I’d got it but not used it til this week. I like it – 10 minutes a day I can usually do. You get the first 10 free so you can try before you buy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thintony
    on

If you like the fizz then soda water with no sugar squash might work?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Thintony
    Thanks for this. Yes, it would definitely be nice to drink but the problem I have is that I am trying to avoid sweeteners as well as sugar as the experts are now saying that even sweeteners can spike your blood sugar levels. I don’t particularly have a problem with my blood sugar but the general opinion seems to be growing that sweeteners just aren’t good for us either (more’s the pity!)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Jennie

I live in South Yorkshire. I can really identify with what you are saying about your pattern of dieting and getting bored after a few weeks in. I’m loving this idea of losing weight fast. I have usually had to content myself with losing half a pound a week, a pound if I’m very lucky. Its really hard to keep going with such small results. Weight watchers has always been my best plan but it took me six months to lose 17 pounds and it eventually all came back and I’m now heavier than I have ever been.

I only officially started the diet yesterday but already I can tell that I have lost water from my legs which is great. I think most of us eat too much, we have just got used to having the ability to pile our plates high. I don’t think my stomach noticed too much yesterday that the portions had more than halved, but I’m sure it will do soon, so we’ll see what the next couple of days does.

Good luck with your second week Jennie, let us know how you are getting on.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Remind me not to try eating stuff that looks like frog spawn with worms in it.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Oh dear, what was it? Thank you for making me giggle. I’ve always thought the skin like stuff that comes off broad beans are like toe nails. Off now to cook some marinated cubes of polystyrene and wedges of gone off jellied eel.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

My dentist advised me not to drink carbonated (fizzy) water, as the acidity caused problems with teeth enamel!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Auntylil,
    Quinoa!
    I’m guessing you were having something with tofu? But I have no idea what the gone off jellied eel is…unless it really is gone off jellied eel?

Quinoa was pretty bland (never mind looking awful) but I only had 30g of it and the bag is 300g so I guess I will have to shut my eyes. Was yours any better?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Shrinky, I didn’t know that about carbonated water. I guess its something else I’ll have to research!

• posted by auntylil
    on

The marinated ingredients which included tofu & wedges of different coloured peppers. Very filling and delicious and I could eat it with my eyes open! I cant get my head round a gp saying that about carbonated water. Does the carbonation produce acidity… How many calories in tooth enamel… Blueberry, spinach, goat milk yogurt and flaxseed shake for me for breakfast as I’m feeling really full still from last night’s dinner. How’s it going with the blood tester now Janet?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Now that sounds really nice! I should have heeded your warning on quinoa but I had already bought it by then! I did three blood tests over Thursday and friday morning and they were all normal so I think its safe to conclude I am not prediabetic. My lowest reading was 4.7, that was two hours after eating toast and butter (pre-diet obvs!) so I’m happy that its one less thing to worry about.

Day three today and feeling pretty good. I did think a vlcd would be more torturous but actually I haven’t gone to bed hungry yet, which funnily enough, I did do frequently on much higher cal diets.

Anutylil, tomorrow is the end of your first week I think? Do you have any plans for weighing/measuring?

• posted by auntylil
    on

That’s very good news about your blood levels – and this way you will prevent ever being pre-diabetic! Glad you’ve had a good three days. I’m enjoying feeling more positive about myself just by being on the diet and have weighed myself now – lost 6lbs and 1″ off waist. I need to be more active though. I know I walk a lot with my dogs but need some bursts of something more strenuous.

I’m in a community choir and it’s our annual dinner tonight and the set menu wasn’t fast 800 friendly, but I’ve opted for melon and berries to start followed by veg curry without rice and poppadoms and no dessert, all that for ยฃ15 – I shall feel robbed! But also a bit smug when everyone else is stuffing themselves. It was a bit tricky choosing off the set menu because of being veggie and lactose intolerant. One of the other choristers has asked for an omelette but I’m feeling a little egg bound.

May you have a very good week with encouraging weight loss and an ever shrinking waist ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Auntylil, that’s brilliant news! Really well done on 6lbs and an inch lost. That answers my question of whether we can do this with an underactive thyroid!

Yeah, that’s quit an expensive couple of courses, isn’t it? But I’m sure you will really enjoy the social side of it. I hope you have a lovely evening. I, too, am already feeling a bit egged-out but I’ve discovered chick peas and they are nice and filling and I tried your cauliflower rice last night which was also great so there’s hope of not starving yet. Oh, and also, yoghurt and strawberries for supper has been lovely and has stopped me going to bed hungry.

So what sort of exercise do you fancy? Walking? The gym? A class? A home dvd? Or just a couple of rounds of squats in the kitchen while you cook your tea? (stuff like that makes your dogs come to ask what you’re doing, hilarious!)

Thank you for the blessing, I have already lost a pound and a half since Friday and we still had a night out on Saturday! Well chuffed with that!

• posted by auntylil
    on

Thank you Janet1973. Enjoyed my meal out and had a glass of red wine too. Not feeling hungry again yet and it’s coming up for 10am.

Re: exercise, I walk a lot already but it’s more of a stroll whilst the dogs run around chasing rabbits. If I had dogs like your adorable dach I could use them for weight lifting as I can’t lift mine up! Squats eh? What are they… I loath swimming and don’t fancy a gym. dvd a poss I suppose, oh I am a lazy daisy. I might take up yoga again or try pilates. I get so sweaty and flushed even attempting a jog and to think I used to be athletic in my teens, representing the county and all that. I think a tap dancing class might suit me. Remember the rolly pollies?

I love chick peas and tend to bulk buy the dried ones: I like a spinach and chick pea curry with lots of cumin, tumeric, coriander, garlic and green lentils. I have a bedtime snack sometimes of a few strips of red pepper dipped in lactose free Arla cream cheese – there’s so much to chose on this diet that’s guilt free.

Hope it’s continuing to go well for you.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Auntylil
    I’m glad you had a good night out, I do believe we can still have a good social life while we are on bsd.

Check out youtube for squats ‘how to do squats correctly’ will do it. They are also in the bsd book, not the hit stuff but the other ten minute workout Dr M does a few times a week. He says first thing in the morning but there’s no reason why you couldn’t do the same routine in ten minutes while cooking lunch or dinner and in between stirs or adding ingredients. Its done then, without having to set any separate time aside. The exercises are all you need to build muscle by lifting your own bodyweight. The squats are particularly good because they use our biggest muscles (the don’t call it gluteus maximus for nothing!) One exercise he doesn’t do are lunges but they are also good for legs.

Another pound and a half off today so a total of 4 pounds and 2.4 inches off my waist in 4 days. Dr M deserves a knighthood or to be sainted or something! I’ve never lost weight so quickly. Mind you, today I have had some very weird pains in my thighs and hips (not from exercise, I haven’t done any yet). I have been applying for jobs for most of the afternoon but I have had to stop because I’m feeling light-headed and nauseous. I guess my body has finally realised something is going on! But I love this new feeling of control I have so I will push through. What do you call .4 of an inch? I’m a decimal girl so what is smaller than an inch? (Yes, I’m getting delirious too). Omg!

• posted by auntylil
    on

Wow – you’re whizzing along nicely, congratulations. I think light headedness etc passes after a few days for most people. I was okay again by days 4 and 5 but this afternoon had to have a little lie down. Hope you find a job you want soon. Thanks for squats advice – shall follow it although have to say I am slightly wary of anything that is the opposite of pelvic floor exercises… About measurements, how about cm’s? That could be just over one of them, perhaps.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Yes, its 5 and a half cm’s which is just cracking! Thanks for the reassurance, feeling a bit better now. I had a few nuts and now l’m having thick vegetable soup for tea.

Ha ha, maybe you’d feel better about it if you did pelvic floors as well as squats?

I’m just looking for a part time job in care work, which I can do in between my dog grooming. I’m thinking I might one day train as a nurse. I made some really bad decisions last year around work and I want to have a better year this time round.

Hope your lie down did you some good?

• posted by auntylil
    on

Are you feeling better yet? Have to tell you – I managed a squat and quite enjoyed it. I may do another ๐Ÿ˜€ One of my daughters was thinking about becoming a nurse after several career choices including media make up but she is now doing a degree to become an occupational therapist and she is loving it. Had a lovely day out with a pal and lots of dogs yesterday and not one extra carb or calorie passed my lips. It’s not so hard after all. Lovely recipes on this blog if you’re interested – https://beachhousekitchen.com/ he’s the chef who wrote Peace & Parsnips.

• posted by nangemac
    on

Hi everyone, day 10 here for me and 8lbs off, I love this diet! seeing some of you mentioned how bland quinoa was, I make a nice Mexican quinoa (if I say so myself! ๐Ÿ˜‚) I’m not good at following recipes, more of a ‘chuck it in and see how it goes’ kinda girl, it’s basically a tin of tomatoes, peppers, onion, any other veg you fancy, garlic, coriander, cumin and chilli and quinoa simmered for about half an hour. You could also add a tin of beans of your choice.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi nangemac,
    Well done on your weight loss, that’s fantastic! Thanks for the tip for quinoa, I have a full bag of the stuff so I’ll give that a go the next time I’m feeling brave enough to take it on! Keep up the good work and keep us up to date with your progress.

Auntylil, thank you, yes, I am feeling better although I’m feeling a bit less energetic than usual. I know you felt like that last week – did it pass for you? I’m glad your daughter found something she likes, that’s so important, and I’m thinking anything in the health sector is a good idea these days. So pleased you had a good day out yesterday, its tradition that a lot of our get-togethers involve food and/or drink but they don’t have to – way to go girl!

Thanks for the link, I’m going to have a look now.

Have a great day both of you!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well, that’s another job interview I’ve been to where the employer failed miserably! Why are they so arrogant as to think we aren’t scrutinizing them as much as they are us? Its not because they have the upper hand, these employers are desperate for willing victims. Well, I am neither desperate, willing or a victim! So there.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Yeah,this is probably the wrong forum for a rant like that. Apologies. I’m now with my good friend Costa. Medium skinny. 109 calories. Nothing to eat though. Going to drown my sorrows with falafel tonight. Lovely.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Freezing the apple juice sounds like a plan. I just used water for the raisins but I might buy a triple pack of those little cartons of apple juice for next time.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Stuck! Need lots of fizzy water today as woke up feeling sickly after eating defrosted and reheated veg curry & cauliflower rice from last week. A daughter ate a portion too and she’s fine. And put on a pound – eeeek, crash bang wallop. This will be a valuable test. Perhaps it was a sly vodka and tonic that did it. I think I am okay on days when I don’t have to eat with other people or do a lot as I can then calmly apply myself properly.

Perhaps a fasting/detoxing kind of a day will get me sorted. Treated myself to two rather lavish magazines for decorating and gardening ideas as anticipating I will feel more energetic and fit for such things within a few weeks. Starting physiotherapy tomorrow for a health issue and also had stitches out now from minor surgery two weeks ago so I am climbing out of a bit of a pit.

I don’t like goji berries at all, I wonder what that’s about. Planning on growing blueberries along with raspberries, and also found a clematis whose berries you can eat so that will be good. Need to start potting veg seeds ready for the spring. I have a terraced garden (not large) which is ideal for me. So that’s me, day 12 on the fast 800 diet.

Hoping you all find ways of getting over your various hurdles too. I am still heavily committed to it and to rewarding myself in ways that don’t involve calorie intake โ™ฅ

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I don’t think I have ever had goji berries but I bet I wouldn’t like them either! I’m sure your weight gain is nothing to worry about, its probably water retention from that cheeky voddy or maybe just part of your natural hormonal cycle. There is no way it is fat though because you simply haven’t consumed enough to create a pound of fat overnight. It will be back off tomorrow I bet. I almost forgot about your squat news. Did you really only do one? Or are we talking about different things? Or have you tried for two yet?? Anyway, well done, anything is better than nothing!

So I’m chuffed I have lost 4 and half pounds this week. That’s way more than I ever lose in a week and it brings my total for 2016 up to half a stone. So just another stone and a half to go then! I’ve decided to grow my own lettuce and rocket this year. I’m not really green fingered but I reckon they should be fairly easy to grow and eat as I was put off bagged salad from the shops when I heard what their version of ‘washed’ means.

Btw my falafel last night was bloody gorgeous!
    Have a great day.

• posted by JennieS
    on

I think there’s something about alcohol that affects water retention. I’ve just gone up a bit too, and it wasn’t really the calories, just 2 celebrations in a row. I didn’t have much (honestly yer honour!) but I think it’ll be a couple of days before it rights itself.

Congratulations on your weight loss Janet! Mine’s been going slowly, but at least it’s in the right direction. Just coming to the end of 2 weeks intensive teaching so a lot of standing (and sore feet!) but not so much real exercise. It seems to register as lots of steps on my Fitbit so I must move around a lot.

Love the idea of growing lettuce and soft berries. It’s too hot in my Auckland garden. Lettuce just frizzles and soft fruit grows lots of leaves but no fruit. I like to grow the greens that you can pick leaves off as needed. Can do that with kale but nothing more delicate ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Alcohol is a diuretic, ie it makes you get rid of more fluid than you take in.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

While that’s true, if your liver has a hard time dealing with alcohol (and if you have a fatty liver, it will struggle) it can mean that water gathers in the legs causing puffy ankles.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Maybe life is worth living after all…just discovered cauliflower mash. Wonderful!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

How is it going JennieS? You’re two weeks in so how have you found things? Are you managing to plan your meals? And how are you finding keeping up with work at the same time?

I’ve had a few days this second week where I haven’t lost any weight but I think I have got to the bottom of that now that I’ve realised that, yes, olive oil has calories, quite a lot of calories! I’m thinking of going down the route of getting my fats from actual foods, ie, avocado, yoghurt, etc as they seem like better value to me. But I think I’m back on track now with a little loss this morning.

I’m feeling pretty darn virtuous today. I’m having part two of the aubergine bake for tea which I made yesterday. That’s a really great recipe! I have done half an hour’s trampet rebounding which I haven’t done in ages. And I have prepared all my meals for tomorrow as I am going to be in Nottingham all day on a training course. Lunch will be provided but I don’t want to risk a diet catastrophe so I bought a snazzy little lunch box with loads of compartments (any excuse to go shopping) and I have boiled an egg, cut up some avacado, chopped some tomatoes and cucumber and added some sweetcorn. The last compartment is full of strawberries. I’ve got a slimfast shake for breakfast for 206 calories as I will be travelling at breakfast time. And then I plan to have veggie sausages and cauli mash for tea, I have made the mash already, hence my euphoric comment earlier.

Normally I would dread eating at training days but this time I feel like I have total control and there is no reason why I would need to deviate from the diet. Just hope they don’t have chocolate cake for dessert!

• posted by JennieS
    on

Well in 2 weeks I’ve lost 2.5kg – or 5.5lb. It’s not easy sticking to 800 calories. I seem to be averaging 850-900, but that’s OK. The only reason I can cope is that this campus has a salad bar where I can choose my ingredients. No time to make up my own lunches. Will be glad to get back to 3 days a week and time to breathe – and make salads! A tip from a colleague is to make up a big box of salad ingredients, put a couple of sheets of kitchen towel on top, then the lid, turn it upside down and store in the veg compartment. It lasts for several days.

Yes, avocados are scarily high in calories aren’t they? The tuna and avo dip in the book is nice though. So is the sardine one. I google “calories in …” on my phone and keep a note of the things I eat often. Often more than I thought.

Hope your day in Nottingham goes well. Thinking how much walking is needed to burn off a slice of cake may help – 75 minutes!

Please log in or register to post a reply.