Alternatives to fizzy pop

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

5.5lbs is a great start Jennie, really well done. I agree about the 800 cals, I also manage around 850ish a day. I did really well on my training day, I only had my own food and I really enjoyed it. I had no hunger pangs or lethargy and wasn’t even tempted by the chocolate chip cookies and flapjacks which were all massive. My weight has been a little up and down this week but I think I understand why so I’m not concerned. I’m at 5.5lbs in 14 days which I’m chuffed about. If I was still on weight watchers, where I routinely only lost a pound or even a half pound a week, I could expect to lose that in 37 days – that’s if I could keep the will to live!

I can’t tell you how much I love love love cauliflower mash!

How are you doing Auntylil?

• posted by auntylil
    on

Very well done resisting choc chip bics & flapjacks. Week two is a funny one isn’t it after the first week when results are always so encouraging; I think our bodies have to adjust in a lot of ways not just losing weight. It would be easy to get discouraged and you don’t sound like you are.

Thanks for asking after me; I have sustained the weight loss of week one but not lost any more. Due to low blood pressure that I couldn’t offset by drinking water my calorie intact is more like 1000 to 1200 – still no refined carbs but some things different to the set diet. I have totally bought into a Med style diet and have bought Spelt and a few other new things and I’m loving the Peace & Parsnips book by Lee Watson. So I’m not on the Fast 800 and feel like a bit of a fraud.

As I’m not pre-diabetic or diabetic perhaps that’s why it isn’t right for me – after discussing with my gp I see that my high cholesterol, lactose intolerance and vegetarianism plus suspected pernicious anemia means I have to think and tread carefully; also my dear wise one – as you pointed out recovery from a shoulder injury and also surgery recently means I can’t exercise more even though I want to. Physiotherapy is challenging as it hurts too much! What a big baby I am, but at least I’m not currently getting any bigger because of what I have learned from this BSD.

Another unwelcome consequence is that all the mushrooms I started eating and Miso and Soy sauce per the BSD lead to thrush so I’ve binned them, and I have two huge cold sores. I am not crying into my fizzy water though. I am however rather ———— (obscenity) off. I think I have referred to myself as a foul mouthed old banshee before on this forum and now I am living up to that.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Aw auntylil, you do make me laugh! Now I’m imagining you to be like Catherine Tate’s Nan, only cleverer! And down with the mushrooms, I always knew there was a good reason why I despise them!

You are in no way a fraud though. You are just like the rest of us, looking for the best ways to be healthy. Although we have all embraced the bsd with an open mind, its still important to remember it is an extreme programme and was never intended to last forever for any of us. It is only 8 weeks (and maybe a little bit more) but I suspect that what will happen is that we will have re-educated our minds and bodies to eat differently even after the 8 weeks. For me, I think I will happily take on a few hundred extra cals but in the form of nuts, oils, fats and other stuff that is nutritious rather than pasta, bread and potatoes.

As you said, you have already learned a lot from bsd and I am sure that that is the long term goal of this plan and you will still lose weight by being on a low cal diet rather than a very low cal one.

As you noticed, I am still in very good spirits about the whole thing, maybe because I am sleeping better as well as having found some delicious meals this week, so I think we can both look forward to weeks three and four with a new sense of vigour! If not, we can just try swearing a lot, its bound to help!

• posted by auntylil
    on

Found out that my thrush and cold sores may be because of high cortisol, the hormone released when under stress and/or low blood- glucose. One has to wonder about the stress of eating mushrooms! Also found info. re: Candida die-off which happens apparently when people with Candida overgrowth do the detox or candida diet which is low carb/no sugar as well as no blummin fungi. Mention of toxins coming to the surface. Sent off for Lysine and Zinc from beloved ‘Natures Best’ as they are supposed to help as well as Vit C.

Inspite of all the things I’m complaining about I have been sleeping much better too since attempting the BSD. I made some bread last night with Spelt which turned out like a house brick; also made some blueberry muffins using soya milk and Spelt and they are lovely. I shall allow myself one a day so have frozen a lot of them. Also had a small banana today so I am definitely not on the BSD. The use of coconut in the BSD and other nuts not so great for people like me as nuts have something in them that herpes simplex thrives on.

I don’t know – with the lactose intolerance, no gallbladder fats digestion problem, vegetarianism, dodgy thyroid, etc etc inability to do much exercise I wasn’t ever going to be much of a candidate for a BSD success so thank you for your kind words. You make so much sense, I salute you! Namaste

btw I can’t stand Catherine Tate – must be because her geriatric alter ego reminds me of someone… Apart from resembling a plague victim currently I am quite a glamorous pensioner so whilst in Boots earlier spending my pension on Canestan, eye drops, Cold sore lotions and patches I also bought a new mascara as I have to look my best for the physiotherapist and the man I am attempting to interest in painting my living room ceiling for me.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi, just read this thread for the first time and it’s made me laugh a lot! Thank you!
    A couple of weeks back there was a comment about fizzy water being harmful to tooth enamel- as a recently retired dentist I can confirm that it is, because the carbonation process creates acid. However it’s not as bad as fizzy drinks, and shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t swish it through your teeth. If concerned, use a straw.
    Mary R

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Mary
    Welcome to our thread! The more the merrier! Yes, I love this thread, its that auntylil. She’s quite naughty. Thank you for the clarification on the fizzy water. I have very sensitive teeth and could bore you to death now I know you are an ex dentist but I’m happier to know that the water is the lesser of two evils and I will be sure not to make with the swishing.

Now, what’s your story Mary?

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi Janet,
    Sorry to hear about the sensitive teeth, there are lots of things that can help, have you discussed with your dentist? There are toothpastes only available from your dentist, (not over the counter, they are POMs), that really do work, and stuff they can put on directly as well. I know from my own experience that those toothpastes work.

My story? Nothing very dramatic, not massively overweight, just boringly so, up and down over the years since the two children and stopping smoking 34 years ago, between one and three stone over ideal weight, never getting right down there, putting most of it back on again, always fed up of looking like a well upholstered sofa, and struggling to find clothes that look good. Have tried most things, usually half heartedly; Calorie counting but with carbs included (impossible) VLC shakes (disgusting), WW (not nutritionally sound, at least not at that time) Slimming World, (ditto) Dukan (worked well, but impossible to sustain, difficult to eat out, and too many weird French recipes with strange ingredients, as well as selling you very expensive products), low fat and no fat, (yuk) 5:2 (but made the mistake of eating and drinking everything in sight on the other 5 days). Mindful eating, but with no other restrictions. Various other specially tailored programmes, which failed either because I don’t get enough to eat or they cut out favourite foods – one of them tomatoes! What a list!!! No issues with blood sugar levels or diabetes, as far as I know, but weight and borderline hypertension puts me at risk, so decided now that I have retired, the boys have flown the nest, I have no excuses left and THIS TIME it has to work. I had 8 weeks before a family wedding at the end of March, a dress I really want to get into; I think Michael Mosley is brilliant anyway, the book is well written, well researched, well referenced, and the plan is nutritionally sound . It’s low carb, which I know works for me, wheat and sugar free; I love the recipes, tasty, simple, healthy, not French or American, not weird. So- 17lbs gone in nearly five weeks, another 14 to go and then review: I do not want to look like a wrinkled old prune, so suspect that aiming for my pre-pregnancy weight is not a great idea. But after this, doing the 5:2 properly, and staying off sugar, wheat and gluten permanently, will be a doddle. But almost the best bits have been the clearing of the brain fog which was making life miserable and hard work, the huge increase in energy, and I noticed yesterday that my skin was much improved. So in a not so small nutshell, that’s me!

• posted by JennieS
    on

Goodness Mary your dieting history looks like mine! I’ve successfully lost weight several times but after a while it creeps back on. I like the idea of a target day/outfit though I don’t have one myself. What works for me is a food diary plus someone to be accountable to. This time round it’s you lovely people, plus Dyanna at my gym who weighs me. 17lb in 7 weeks is impressive! I’m losing about 2.5 lbs a week I think – will get weighed again this afternoon …

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Wow Mary, what a story! I’m glad I asked! Thanks for the advice on my teeth, I had no idea my dentist would have a ‘secret stash’ of products but I will interrogate her about them at my next check-up!

You’ve done amazingly well in under five weeks. Again as Jennie says, I can identify so much with your experience. I tried the Dukan diet too, the only problem being I don’t like meat – that’s how desperate I was to find something that works! But I am thrilled at having found my way here. I’m three and a half weeks in and I actually feel like 800 calories is normal now, not a ‘diet’ in that sense. Considering its the most restrictive diet I have ever done, I’m finding the eating part of it easier than anything I have done before.

So around the time of the wedding you are going to, I am going to the dreaded company reunion, meeting up with people I haven’t seen in years and whose names I have no chance of remembering! So I would like to have lost another 6lb by then, I don’t know why it should matter but it does!

I’ve been following Dr Mosley since I first saw his documentary on fasting and there is a growing campaign in the forums to get him a knighthood.

Jennie – I hope the weigh-in is everything you are hoping for and more, let us know how you get on.

Auntylil – I hope you are feeling better and have sweet-talked that nice man into painting your ceiling.

• posted by auntylil
    on

I tried Janet1973 but he must have caught sight of my Bridget Jones’ on the airer and scarpered… no, not really, I haven’t put the plan into action yet. I emailed a friend a little while ago telling her why I haven’t been around – you’ll like this, I told her that I look like I have the plague because a detox/low carbs/no sugar diet brought out thrush and cold sores, so I’m only going out under cover of darkness to walk my dogs with a hoody on Elephant Man style because of the poorly shoulder hanging limp and dragging the leg I had surgery on. Not such a great exaggeration. Reading recent posts here reminds me I went to the dentist for a filling last Wednesday and I think that just about finished me off! There’s truly nothing left to get fixed is there?

On the positive side I managed to vac the house today which for me is a giant step forward and so far, it’s about 4.30pm, not one carb has passed my lips but I did have a big brunch. You know I went to the 5:2 diet in the light of things and being more gentle on myself but I manage some of the 800 regime too. I was worried I might creep towards it becoming a 5 week/2 week thing but no, mind and body do like the stricter way of going about it.

It is heartening to read about your progress and the others here, I value the sense of being in it together a great deal. I’m stuck at 13st 4lbs for the time being. Yesterday I used coconut oil for the first time and I’m planning on making one of those fridge cakes using cacao for a daughter’s birthday cake this week. Heard on the radio recently – ‘Have you heard about the birthday cake made from Brussel Sprouts? Blows its own candles out…’

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I really do laugh out loud! I’m afraid no matter what, auntylil, you have to stay with us as you keep us so roundly entertained. Not laughing at you, you understand, just with you!

I did the same as Mary with the 5:2 and ate everything in sight on the five days. But I think whenever I’m done with the bsd if I go for the 5:2 I know I’d have to stick to no carbs even on the five days and that will make the difference. I’m also thinking of just maybe a fairly relaxed approach with few carbs interspersed with a week of 800 every five or six weeks. Might work?

I bought coconut oil as well today for the coconut flatbreads. I also bought coconut flour and gram flour. I made one of Bill1954’s pancakes for 88 calories just to see what they are like and they are definitely a good idea. Veggie bangers and cauli mash for tea tonight. Fabulous!

I need to get my lettuces planted this week too…

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Brussel sprout birthday cake?? Is this the alternative to Fizzy Pop???

Love this thread … Janet1973 and auntylil … you two put a smile on my face!! x

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Kimgall
    Welcome to our thread! Yes, we seem to have drifted off the point a little bit but its the most fun I’ve had in ages!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oh, tea was a disappointment I have to say. I really like quorn sausages, though I would happily have them reduce the salty flavour a little. But tonight I had cauldren lincolnshire sausages and was really looking forward to them. Unfortunately they were a bit too chewy for me, which is why I stopped eating meat in the first place. So, I’m going back to my beloved quorn!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I am now 19 days in and am 6 and a half pounds lighter (10 pounds lighter than in January). I am very pleased with my progress (I only compare myself to myself, I find comparing with others is futile as we all live differently). I am back to my pre-holiday weight, which is great but my holiday was last September 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’ve just had a trying-on fest, the clothes I bought for my holiday and only wore once before they no longer fitted. Well now they do! That’s how I can really tell that I have lost weight from my hips and waist. Its like going shopping without having to pay for anything!

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Brilliant, Janet … Well done. And absolutely agree we should not compare ourselves with others … It’s our own shoes we walk in … Even if they are a little big now!! Not mine … You understand … I still have to get to your stage … But yours!! 🙂 X

• posted by auntylil
    on

That’s very good news – well done, you sound really happy. You have been so supportive and shown an interest in others here that it’s great you have something to celebrate for yourself. I think some new clothes would be in order all the same. Have a fizzy water on me ♥

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks chaps! I really am feeling much happier these days. So much better than the depression that comes with the underactive thyroid. That was how mine was discovered because I realised I was slowly becoming suicidal. But that’s in the past now.

I am persevering with the fizzy water so thanks for standing to that round auntylil! But clothes shopping will have to wait until I get another job!

And yes, even my shoe size changes when I lose weight to a stupid 3 and a half! Nightmare!

• posted by auntylil
    on

Well, that’s it then – you have to go shoe shopping. What lovely tiny pinkies you must have. My feet are like barges.

btw – go and look for a long post by peanut something about thyroid and diets, it is very informative and I found it very interesting.

Been having an 800 calories day today but still having a g & t as it’s the eldest’s birthday. Ditched the vodka as it’s made from grain but gin is from berries! Over dosed earlier on goat’s milk yogurt, I love it with scorched almonds and a sprinkling of cacao.

Been invited to join a crown green bowling team (I was good at marbles, darts, skittles and petang in previous existences) and can imagine I might have to remove the nose stud and watch my language if I do join. Starting Hatha Yoga again soon when physio complete so the bod is getting ready to move! Yeah

• posted by auntylil
    on

P.S. I pointed you in the wrong direction re: thyroid info – it was posted by ‘gatesofheaven’ on the low thyroid-BSD thread.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks auntylil, I’ll go look for it. I wonder of the bowling club know what they are letting themselves in for! But I do think its a great idea to get involved. My uncle, who is in his forties btw, won his first trophy at cgb-ing last summer, he loves it. But don’t do it after the gin…

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well, thanks for that Aunylil, that’s cheered me up enormously (not!). I think I got the gist of it though as you said, it takes a few read throughs. I’ve often asked myself the question why it takes me a fortnight to lose a pound and a day to gain two. And that is why, its that chuffing reverse T3! I have asked is it just me…? And yes, it is. Or rather me and my Hashimoto compadres. I have never liked hearing people use it as a reason/excuse for their weight but maybe we really are at a disadvantage. Brill.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hey Auntylil, how are you doing? Are you too busy for us now you have joined the bowling elite? Or are you wooing?

Well, I hope you are doing both. I haven’t any weight loss to report just now – I gained two and have now lost two so I’m no further forward than last week in that sense. But I’m having fun with my ketostix (less said the better).

I want to tell you about a website I found called Diet Doctor with a very nice Swedish doctor on it – might be worth a look. And I wanted to ask if you have read any of Mary Shomon’s work on underactive thyroid weight loss? I have her book coming as I wondered if there was anything in particular I can do differently from ‘normal’ people.

Going home now to either make some flatbreads or plant some lettuce seeds. Or watch telly.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hello Janet

Thank you for checking up on me – on March 10th, last Thursday informed that supposed sebaceous cyst I had removed a few weeks previously from my right thigh has been diagnosed as a rare sarcoma, a Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP) and if you think that of all cancers 1% are sarcomas (soft tissue tumours) of them DFSP are less than 1%. Consequently dieting, bowls, wooing etc has been far from my mind. I think some of the things I was dealing with that I thought were to do with the 800 diet are in fact systemic symptoms because now I know I am ill. I will be seeing a consultant for more surgery and treatment next week. I will come back here! But I guess you and a lot of the other inspirational and supportive people I met here will have moved on too. I wish you all enourmous success and better quality of life because of the life changes you are making. ♥

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oh Auntylil, I’m so very sorry. Joking aside, I was becoming worried about where you had gone. Now I know. So what happens after the surgery, is it chemo or radiotherapy or something else? Please stay with us, there are loads of people here who are concerned for you and want to know about your journey to well being again.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry to hear your news. Please stay with us, you’ll get lots of support as you travel this road.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Auntylil so sorry to hear your news I am sure most of us will still be on the forums anytime you feel like posting. We will all be hoping for the best possible outcome for you, but please remember if you just need ‘to sound off’ or just need a friendly ear then we are here for you.

Best wishes and prayers x

• posted by Sharon
    on

Auntylil
    So sorry to hear your news, and like capainlynne and hashimoto have said you will get lots of support from the forum.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 7 years ago, so if you ever need to talk I am here for you.

All the best for your journey ahead. X

• posted by auntylil
    on

Thank you. This sort of tumour is dealt with by excision of ‘wide margins’ and I think mine will be done by a plastic surgeon specialising in mohs – now don’t ask me what that means exactly, but apparently layers are removed until there are no cancer cells present anymore. Sometimes radiotherapy and/or chemo is needed as well. There are only five specialist sarcoma centres in the UK and I am extremely fortunate to be quite close to one that’s linked to Christies in Manchester.

These tumours are like something from the depths of oceans inasmuch they have tentacle like features but once they are removed then you are cured. They rarely spread either. They do grow back if the margins aren’t wide enough so – give me wide margins I say. I did say to someone the other day that I felt out on a limb and that wasn’t appropriate either, but then I guess you know me by now.

I have had some great support from Macmillan, Sarcoma.org, Rare Cancers and a Facebook group – in this group we are called ‘unicorns’ because someone said dfsp are rarer than a unicorn which I like. It is very scary but you know what, like a lot of you here, by going on this diet I’d faced up to doing something positive about my health and I have felt empowered so far by online communities, members of one or two re: sarcoma I will be meeting in a couple of support groups.

I’ll call back to see you all and let you know how I’m doing. If by some slim chance you ever come across anyone who has had or has got a dfsp let me know as they are so rare a lot of informing and educating is needed.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

So sorry to hear your news Auntylil. Do take care and check back with us whenever you can. Wishing you all the best and sending big hugs and prayers xxx

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Hi Auntylil
    Only discovered you today and what a joy and inspiration you are. My son works with people who finds themselves in your situation and is a firm believer in the positive overcoming the negative. So stay strong, believe it will all be ok and I’m sure it will. By the way, I love unicorns and believe in their magical powers, so magic away Auntylil. We’re all on your side.
    Xxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Auntylil, this has really hit home after the week we have had.
    You will be in my prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery, in fact, I’m going to hang around here until you return.
    Love and best wishes
    Bill

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hello fellow lifestyle changers, read this thread over the weekend & want to add my good wishes for a positive outcome to Auntylil.

I also have 2 questions to ask relating to what I have read about water alternatives. Hopefully someone can help me as it’s a forum about drinking.

1 ref adding a fruit tea bag to water (guess this is cold fruit tea) has anyone found any that taste of anything that don’t have the weeny capsules of colourant and flavouring in them please? I found out a while back that several of the popular brands are ‘tampered with’ so to speak

2 I have seen people mention (can’t remember which forum, sorry) Fruit Water Makers & there is a recommended brand in the BSD products sector. I have looked them up on the web but (probably not looking hard enough) cannot find out what they actually do, the promo stuff says healthy, low cal etc, but what do you actually have to do with them, has anyone got one please – how do they work? I have so many gadgets, I wanted to make sure it was practical before I add any more clutter to my groaning cupboards.

Really enjoying this thread and after 6 weeks on Sirt & 2 weeks on BSD, I am now under 13st for the 1st time in 12 years. Tummy has shrunk and can’t say that I have been screamingly hungry either. RESULT!!!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well done FiFiP, I love it when those numbers from days of yore reappear! I haven’t come across these fruit water makers either but I’m sure someone will have the answers for you. Have a great week.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Janet! – I can’t do ‘new money’ as it’s called in our house, can’t follow any recipe in grammes, has to be lbs & oz…..have to convert all recipes – that way I can always ‘see’ how much food there is & if the recipe is modest for 8 people or huge for 4. Obviously the BSD recipes are different as they are set for this diet, I just double up when my hubby is eating it with me. But honestly, outside of spoon measurements, I have no clue how much food will actually end up on the plate!!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi fifip, I think I have led you up the garden path a little bit. The number from the days of yore I meant was the number 13 which you haven’t seen in 12 years! I’m definitely an old money girl too but I’m quite proud of how adept I’m getting with kilos. Although if you’ve caught some of my other posts I hopelessly confuse grams and ounces! But kilos have a nice rhythm to them 2.2lbs is 1 kilo, 4.4lbs is 2 kilos. That’s the limit of my maths capability. Like you, I am soon to see a number on the scales I haven’t seen since 2012. Can’t wait!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Good luck Janet, hope you get the number your heart desires – everyone seems to be doing so well, ups & downs of course but as diets go, it’s tasty, relatively simple to follow & WORKS!!!!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Auntylil
    Happy Easter! I hope you are in good spirits and able to enjoy the weekend with your family. I think you might have had some treatment since we last spoke. I hope it went well and wasn’t too uncomfortable for you.

Well, we’ve been very busy here – I say we, I mean Judith, aka hashimoto, she has managed to get a petition started to lobby the government about this crackpot idea it has got to ‘help’ people with diabetes and pre-diabetes by giving them lifestyle advice still based on the high carb, low fat mumbo jumbo. We are asking them to look at this diet and the results we are all getting as a much better plan of action and a much better use of their money.

I know you are involved with a few other forums and groups. I was wondering if you could sign the petition and circulate the link?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704

The weather here in South Yorkshire is sunny but cool and windy. I lost my seedling lettuces yesterday because my mini greenhouse blew over. Gutted. Hopefully you are getting out with your lovely dogs for some gentle but chilly walks.

Take care and let us know how things are when you are ready.

Please log in or register to post a reply.