Almost one week in

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by silver
    on

..and I am amazed at the results – Day 1 and 2 – the thought of sugar was hanging over me like a big gorilla, but his grip has lessened – I am amazed and I am down 2 kilos already – is this too fast? I am not complaining and what feel good is the element of control – anyone else having these feelings? Also I had a question – I planned to have the beans on mushrooms this morning for breakfast but there is sugar in shop bought beans and so I have decided not, as would this not kick start the addiction again? Any thoughts or indeed any other beans recipes ? Good luck and thank you

• posted by Shucks
    on

Sounds like most people are doing so well. Plan to start next week but would love to know what everyone weighs when they say how much they have lost. I only want to loose 14lbs.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi silver, by you have started well haven’t you ?
    I’ve used baked beans a few times, especially with a flat mushroom and poached egg, without any bad effects. I do use the Heinz reduced sugar beans though.
    That feel good factor is great isn’t it ? even after 5 weeks of this new lifestyle I’m still enjoying experimenting with food and eagerly anticipating my daily sugar readings and weekly weigh in
    Best of luck on this incredible journey.
    Shucks I started at 16 st 9 lb and now after 5 weeks 15 st 4 lb
    there are a vast array of starting weights amongst the posters on here.
    TBH losing 14 lb shouldn’t be a problem if you stick to the eating plan.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi Silver, Well done for getting going, I’m in week six and really enjoying it, 19lbs down so far ๐Ÿ™‚ . The mushrooms with baked beans is one of my favourites, specially for brunch, and I use the Whole Earth orgainc baked beans which are sweetened with apple juice, which I feel is slightly is slightly better than sugar. I’m not sure what the reduced sugar Heinz ones have in, so check the ingredients, it may be artificial sweeteners which I am not into. The Whole Earth ones are more expensive though, but my philosophy is that since I am eating far less food than usual, it’s worth spending more on the quality!
    MaryR

• posted by silver
    on

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I will definitely try those beans you speak of MaryR. So on the weight Shucks. I was concerned with the amount of sugar I was eating and got somenot drastic but worrying news at the docs and so decided that I needed to take it in hand. I started at 66.6k and I am now 63.9k – I would like to lose 11k in total if I can. I was thinking I will start next week ext and then just decided to start that day that I finished the book with what I had in the house. Yes I too look forward to preparing the meals Bill, I am getting so much more enjoyment out of food. Before I would eat – fait healthily to be honest but then spoil it all with too many sweeties afterwards. I know its only a week but it feels alot better! Yes the feel good and the feeling of being in control of your eating is brilliant. Well done all of you – you have great weight losses. Do you notice any other changes in your life since you are already 6 and 5 weeks in MaryR and Bill? Thanks and have a good dat. Just had the scrambled eggs with chives and smoked salmon – a favourite I am finding!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi silver
    without doubt I have a lot more energy and I’m sleeping much better.
    I’m also reliably informed that I’m a lot calmer than usual (I always considered myself to be reasonably calm anyway but apparantly not.)
    If I feel myself getting wound up, I grab my guitar and strum a few tunes while I hum along. (My singing voice scares cats away)
    After an hour of that I’m relaxed and the wife has a headache ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by MaryR
    on

Yes, I’ve noticed huge benefits, the main one being lots more energy- that was after about a week, and has continued since. My skin is much better, (though generally drier) either from giving up sugar or gluten or both, and the blood pressure is coming down gradually. I’m not diabetic or prediabetic, so I haven’t been looking at BS readings. Some other things I’ve noticed are more cramp at night, itchy legs, ( round about week 3, though that’s improving now) and definitely clogged up intestines- though the skinny chilli with all those beans seem to have got things going there! Many people seem to have difficulties in the first week, specially if they’ve been on really high carbs beforehand, with the carb withdrawal stage- feeling unwell. If ts happens to you, don’t despair, there’s lots of great advice on this site on how to deal with it, and it does pass after a few days or so. I was lucky and didn’t have it at all.
    MaryR

• posted by Sabrina77
    on

Hi , I am one week in today. I have lost 7 pounds ( 68.5kg to 65kg) & blood sugar readings have been between 4 – 5 mmol in the last 4 days. Usually in the evening after dinner I would just blob on the couch & munch on the junk & have no energy to do much. That has totally changed I am now full of energy & finding stuff to do.
    I’ m amazed after a week of how well I feel & am so motivated.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great first week results Sabrina77, that blood sugar reading is spot on and 7 lbs is a lot of weight
    That is the one thing that really surprised me, I knew I would lose weight (you have to on 800 calories) but the feeling of wellness and the better sleeping came out of the blue.
    It’s a major bonus to this new lifestyle I think.

• posted by alantanner
    on

Hi, Doctor told me I was approaching pre-type 2, I was surprised as I was doing Michael Mosleys 5/2 diet, so I got his new book and i am just finishing week 1, I have enjoyed the food so far, lovely flavours and textures, I started off at 14s 8lb, and now weigh 14.00.
    I have 2 days a week when I have a few beers, and on those days I have ate normally, it dose not seemed to have affected my weight loss, however I must admit that I preferred the diet meals. Energy levels seem good, I do not miss my licorice allsorts or chocolates still have my goody jar untouched.
    I am just very impressed how everything is going, having a bit of difficulty sourcing some of the ingredients.
    Can anyone tell me how you can check your blood sugar levels at home.
    Many thanks & happy dieting
    Ally

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Shucks
    Hope you are finding the forums helpful. I have found them very useful and supportive. Like you, I would like to lose 14lb – although I confess a few pounds more would be good too. I’m just into week three now and have lost 7lb, most of that was lost in week one. Week two was a struggle, but saw results in the end. The big bonus for me, is seeing results on the tape measure.

I have had some hunger pangs, but only minor – mostly at a level that can be ignored until they dissipate. Occasionally I have needed a small snack, but a glass of water is usually enough to settle things.

This week I am expecting to see slow progress, but am determined to stick with the 800 cals, as at that level, results have to follow eventually.

Good luck for your start on the BSD journey. It’s been a revelation for me, hope it will be for you as well.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Alan
    you can buy a glucose meter online or at the chemist.
    Check out the price for the test strips and go for the meter that has the cheapest ones, all the meters do the same thing and in fact, some chemists give certain models away.
    Ask on here about ingredients, someone will know.

• posted by Sabrina77
    on

Thanks Bill, this new lifestyle is fantastic… I have never felt so well compared to other diets that I have tried.

Hi Alan, Bill is correct the strips are most expensive, I have found that buying on amazon the cheapest.

• posted by silver
    on

It is a revelation isn’t it! Top tip on dry skin – use coconut oil – your skin feels amazing . Just put on a little like a moisturiser. healthy inside and out ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.