Advancing into Autumn – Stepping into Spring

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello and welcome. This is the follow up thread to the recent Jive to July. It will run until the end of September. Wherever you are in the world, and whatever season it will be at that stage for you, do feel free to join us.

Some of us have been journeying together for a while, others are new, and more travellers are always welcome. Most of us have long term weight loss, health or fitness goals – or a combination of all three. And we enjoy stepping out together through life’s many ups and downs, as we advance towards those goals.

We look forward to meeting you and supporting each other between now and September.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yayyyy! Thanks so much DCT!👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Come one,come all,and join us as we journey on together through the months and seasons of 2021!
    Good luck everyone.
    🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️
    Shout out to BUSYBEE,hope you and hubby are ok XXXXX

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for setting up the new threat DCT.I’m really determined that I will stay on this journey and not go way off track like I did with the last two😕 I think I feel in a better frame of mind this time,more like I did on the Countdown to Christmas so here’s hoping🤞Dawn X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks DCT.
    I’m checking in now but will be away for another fortnight, then my determined back to basics will commence! Looking forward to a productive challenge and I’ll determined that this time I’ll really make some progress 😲

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Thanks Dreamsdocometrue. Here’s to dreams coming true over the next few months. I look forward to the process with everyone else and wish everyone all the best whatever they are shooting for,

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for setting this thread up DCT, always love having a new goal, and my birthday is in September so good timing 🙂
    I’ll post my goals in here after the 4th July when I’ll finish Jive to July.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all
    Time for me to set new goals for this new journey. I’d like to step into spring with a spring in my step 🙂

I counted 12 1/2 weeks from today until the end of September. I’m 60% of the way there towards my first major goal and would dearly love to reach it by the end of September. It’s just 4.8kg away – or 10.5 lbs – so if I can lose about 400g per week EVERY week then I’ll be set! I have all the tools, all the knowledge, the experience, the books etc – it’s the motivation to keep going day after day and week after week (actually year after year for me!) that’s the hardest part.

We are in Lockdown again in Sydney, just started the 2nd week and it’s supposed to finish on Friday but I’ve a feeling it will be extended. To be honest it doesn’t make much difference to me personally as with having impaired immunity I’ve been living in lockdown type conditions since March last year anyway! It’s good to have a goal to focus on so that I can think about something other than COVID and vaccinations which is all that seems to be in the news lately!

I need to take my measurements today too, as it’s been a while since I last measured. I’ve dropped a clothes size since January, however haven’t rushed out to get new clothes yet as I want to lose more weight first. Although just before this latest lockdown I did find a brand new pair of jeans that retail for $125 for just $7 in one of our local charity shops, so was happy with that. They are a little tight around the waist but I always find that a good motivator!

Hope everyone else gets off to a good start 🙂

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Well done Sue on losing during Jive to July,I haven’t weighed myself today but can’t imagine I’ve lost anything!I hit the reset switch last week so will weigh myself on Tuesday when I will hopefully have made a dent into the weight I’ve gained since Christmas.Good luck everyone🤞Dawn X

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi SueBlue – awesome work so far and love your goal! Maybe some new clothes come spring too as a reward?

I set myself a little projec tof doing 84 days straight of staying within my calorie goals. I’m on day 2 🙂 I’ve also got some rewards penned in along the way of things around the house. I’m
    Focussing on habits over numbers at this stage.

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi Dawn, smart thinking on the weigh in. A little victory can help build momentum. Fingers crossed you get rewarded for your efforts xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi to everyone highsteppin and hotfootin into our new challenge!🥳
    Well done SUE on dropping a dress size! Feels so good doesnt it!
    DAWN well done on your head start with yr reswitch! I hit my reswitch button today! Fasted today and have just had scrambled eggs and broc. Off to a good start! Just need to keep doing similar every day 👏👏
    JESS I love yr idea of penning in rewards! I’m really trying to get the thought firmly planted that my food is for nourishment and I get my treats elsewhere
    I’m lurking around coz I’m waiting for my dear old friend NURSEBEAN to rejoin the party. Welcome back Beano!
    Good luck everyone,we’ve nothing to lose but pounds and inches!
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️“ Always keep alive that little space inside you where the magic grows “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Morning all!

I’m hoping to do a lot better than I did jiving to July! I put on 3.2 lbs from April to July! I am not happy with myself and I know I need to get back to my healthy eating. My plan is to restart on 25th July. I have a holiday coming up which I’ve been looking forward to for so long. I am going to stay with my friend and her sister in Stratford upon Avon for a week and then I am going to a health spa for four nights. So, this is my plan- I’ll weigh myself when I start on 25th and take it from there. I cannot keep messing about. I’m dealing and coping with my health issues and now I need to tackle my unhealthy eating and get back to what I know is a healthy way of eating. No more crisps, “sandwich thins” or “treats”. Back to basics from 25th. I am not even going to give myself a target at this point. I want to reboot and re-programme my body to what it knows how to do. I’ve been complacent and lazy and have felt sorry for myself and that is going to STOP.

Good luck to everyone trying to achieve their goals and I am really excited about being in great company and making steady progress. Even to eat healthier will be a start for me as I know I am making unhealthy choices every day at the moment. Writing this today has reinforced exactly where I want to be. We can do this!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Have a great time while you’re away CCATHY. Enjoy your food and drink…If you can’t have whatever you fancy on holiday,when can you! XX 🥳🥳🥳 I’ll be ready with the wet lettuce if needed on the 25th! Only kidding! Plenty of time til the end of the challenge…AND til the end of the year …and then we can start 2022 feeling in a much better place health and figure wise XX
    Onwards and downwards Team! 👏👏👏👏👏 ODAAT as BUSYBEE always says 🐝

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,pressed reset last week and (apart from a couple of days,Yowser keep the wet lettuce handy please! ) I have had quite a good week.I binned my Jive to July sparkly chart a while ago in disgust as I had nothing on it and I now can’t remember what I weighed at the start of that journey so not sure if I lost/gained weight😕probably just as well tbh!Went shopping to Tesco today and got plenty of healthy stuff.Would love to be half a stone down by 19th July reopening😀Hope everyone is having a good day/evening.Dawn X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy, just wanted to say please don’t be too hard on yourself! 3.2 pounds is not much of a weight gain at all, especially for a 3 month time period – I have put that sort of weight on in a weekend before 🙂
    You’ve had a rough couple of months with your health, let alone the lengthy lock down you’ve been in – time to be kind to yourself!
    So hope you have a lovely holiday with your friends, and enjoy your spa break too. We’ll be here to cheer you on when you restart on the 25th 🙂

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Yowzer – love the quote .) thanks for sharing. I’m hradually getting my spark back and look forward to being more sparky come September.
    Hi ADD – new challenge new opportunity. That’s how I feel :):):)

I’ve had a solid few days to starts and am proud of myself. In a space of believing and more importantly feeling my goal is possible. Had a bad night sleep on Monday and consequently was SO hungry. Rather than falling down a rabbit hole I just used fruit and vegetables as extras. As a consequence I felt no more hungry than o would have had I had extra food. Ultimately the hunger was lack of sleep not food. In addition the days wasn’t easy but easier than going off plan, way more relaxed and joyful,. Not perfect execution but a bloody solid start in the face of challenging feelings 🙂

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just popping by with a thought for the day..and to say am on day 4 of this challenge and already feeling so much better for it..lost a lot of water and carby bloat..my Carb Monster is bitterly upset!
    Anyhoo,think about this…
    🌸🌼 Take care of yourself body,mind and soul. There’s only one of you. You are truly once in a lifetime 🌼🌸
    xxxxx

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Oh aYowzer thanks for sharing I love it!

I had a silly day today and ate too much over my budget. Wondering what do others do the day after to get them back on track?

What is the why you come back to in your challenging moments? And/or what else helps you?

on

Hi everyone, I’m back from my trip. All went well. It was lovely to see my mum and we managed to get quite a few errands done and also get out and about a bit too.

Cathy I hope you have a wonderful relaxing time, and really enjoy your spa break. I also echo what everyone else has said about being kind to yourself. I need to do likewise: had way too many carbs whilst away and some pesky pounds have taken the opportunity to creep back on. I don’t feel good on it either. I’m beginning to think I may be a bit gluten intolerant, as when I do have bread etc I bloat very quickly and often have an upset tummy soon afterwards.

So just before I came back I had all kinds of good resolutions re a (yup, another!) complete rehaul of diet and really getting back into exercise. I felt very inspired and excited. But sadly just as were setting off my back decided to “go” again so am hobbling around unable to do very much at all. SO frustrating! And feeling pretty fed up tbh.

Anyways, I’ll keep on keeping on. I’ve made an osteopath appointment for Monday so am really hoping they can get me back on the right track again. I so want to get moving forward again and shed the remaining pounds to goal. I was getting so close but have slipped back a bit. Again!

I’m also really missing my running – but need to know whether or not it is advisable for me to do. Aarrrghh!!

Sorry to whinge – it’s just nice to let off steam. Hope everyone else is ok? Look forward to reading your posts. I love that we’re all at different stages both of our weight loss journeys and of life in general. I really appreciate connecting with you all, and knowing I have friends all around the world, even though we’ve never actually met face to face.

Lots of love X

on

Ooh Jess, just realised I didn’t reply to your post.

For me the main thing is that each day is a new day. I’ve found that this WOE is very very forgiving. When on any diet it’s very tempting to throw in the towel if you go off plan. One slip up and your mind screams at you that you can’t do it and you might as well give up. But don’t fall into that trap. It’s not true. We’re all allowed bad days. Just draw the line and get back on track.

So the first thing is to write off that bad day: forget it and start again the next. You have not lost much ground and can soon recover. As I said in my earlier post, I know for me some pounds have come back on whilst I was away – as we lived on convenient food (sadly, inevitably involving more carbs than normal). But I know from experience they will soon come off again if I revert to my normal BSD diet. So to answer your question about the day after, you don’t need to do anything special or starve yourself or anything, just go back to what you have normally been doing.

As for the why, just think of your original goals. Weight loss, health readings, fitness measures etc. Why did you embark on this WoE in the first place? If you haven’t already done so, it can help to start a fitness journal with weights, measures, photos etc. I say this with the benefit of hindsight, because I had a spreadsheet of weight loss but didn’t take measurements and didn’t take photos. And both of these can be really motivational when the scales stall (as they will). But I can still remember checking my full length image in the mirror in the toilets at work, and seeing my trousers getting looser and looser until I eventually had to get some new ones. And I wish now that I had taken photos. I look at photos of me before I started this WoE and the weight loss is noticeable. Even when I have bad days now and get frustrated, I can see a huge difference when I look back to those photos. So I wish I’d done a journal to document my journey and motivate me.

Sorry, long answer to short question. Basically Jess just hang on to what made you start this journey in the first place. Assuming nothing else has changed, you still want to get there right? And you WILL. Just need to keep on. And you’re in good company! X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

DCT – sorry to hear about your back 🙁 but glad you had a good trip away to see your mum 🙂
    Jess – I hear you! I have at least one ‘bad’ day a week at the moment! I literally just write the day off and start again the next day. I have a diary which I use to plan & record meals, weight & measurements and I write “off plan” for that day!
    I track my weight each week, and measure when I think of it, probably every 6 weeks or so. Sometimes when I feel I haven’t lost much on the scales I can see I’ve lost centimetres so that helps me to stay motivated. Also photos – for a while I was getting my daughter to take a few photos of me each month (front, rear and side view), wearing the same (tight!) outfit, and I could then compare from the month before.
    I’ve been feeling a bit down due to this latest COVID lockdown we are having in Sydney. We cannot have visitors at all, only one person can leave the house for essential shopping etc -so I’ve ordered my groceries online and also ordered a box of fresh fruit and veg from the markets. With the grocery order I didn’t order any “treat” or off plan foods, so I’ll find it easier to stay on plan this week.
    I’ve been able to exercise – my youngest daughter and I go out for at least a 1 hour walk each day, so my step count is usually 8,000 and sometimes 10-11,000.

I read something interesting last night where researchers have found that overweight and obese people who eat a healthy Mediterranean diet are at much lower risk of serous health complications – even when they didn’t lose the weight they needed to, following a Med diet had huge benefits.

So what I took from that is that although I’m still in the obese weight range, the fact that I’ve followed BSD way of eating now for 4 years has kept me healthier 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Just realised too, I only need to lose another 2.2kg and I’ll no longer be Obese, but Overweight 🙂
    Will make this my focus during this latest Lockdown!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

DCT – meant to add I have similar problems with wheat, it definitely spikes my inflammation levels and causes joint pain to worsen. I read about Non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wondered if I had that, I’m sure it’s something we’ll hear more about in the future.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-celiac_gluten_sensitivity

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi DCT! Welcome back and I’m so sorry about your back going. That’s so annoying isnt it,one minute you’re ok,the next it goes…so exhausting too. Get better soon x
    JESS I totally echo DCTs words,just pick yrself up,dust yrself down,start over again. Mandela said not to think about the times you fell,but the times you got up again and continued. Bit like a baby learning to walk,it takes time and ups and downs.And always remember you mightnt be where you want to be weight wise yet,but you’re not where you used to be either. Every pound down helps you get healthier.x
    SUEBLUE..yes,totally agree,my joints ache much worse when I eat bread. I was amazed when I read that you don’t have to have coeliac disease to not tolerate wheat very well. There’s a good book all about intolerance and inflammation called Wheat Belly but can’t remember author’s name. Fantastic news dropping into overweight range soon,well done! 👏👏
    Have a groovy week everyone X ⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼⭐️🌼 X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just quickly checking in to say,hope everyone’s week got off to a good start! Onwards and downwards,chums!🥳xx

• posted by LifeUniverseEverything
    on

DCT/ SueBlue – NCGS is what I have. A few of my family members are coeliac so we’ve all be tested for genetic markers and I have a couple, but not enough to be coeliac. I have endless trouble when I eat gluten (wheat is the primary issue, so I say I have wheat sensitivity when I go to restaurants) with a big inflammatory response and feeling terrible for a day or so afterwards.

Not having wheat makes this whole process a lot easier though! It’s just hard to come off it in the first place.

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Dreamsdocometrue – thank you for your wise and kind words! I did just start again the next day and managed to do a bit of reflecting on why it might have happened. Not enough protein I suspect. I need a game plan for nights I don’t sleep!
    SueBlue – congratulations, that is utterly awesome that you only have 2.2kg to go. I hear you on not having treat foods in the house. I actually keep them in special box in the garage (it’s cool and dark). I do have them because when o start to feel deprived I lose the plot. I genuinely believe We don’t have to give up the foods which bring us joy in order to be healthy and lose weight, stabilise blood sugar levels. I tend to eat the same things on a ‘bad’ day. Which is about once a week too. The food isn’t the issue so much as how I do it, does that make sense?
    Lockdown complicates things and also simplifies them. I’m worried but also hopeful we will nip this in the bud but I suspect we will be in lockdown for some time yet ala Melbourne:
    LifeUniverseEverything – I also avoid gluten and feel better for it. It took a lot of convincing to get me to try without it but once I did the difference was so profound I rarely have something with gluten, if ever nowadays. How do you find oats?

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

DCT – sorry realised I’m writing your name wrong! I read it as dreamsDOcome true instead of Dreamscometrue.

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Hi All
    We’re both still here, doing Keto rather than the BSD at the moment. I’m down 28lbs since starting March 10th this year (was 30lbs but I know most of that gain is just water) Hubby sticking at 28lbs loss at the moment.
    Sometime we’re going to get back to the BSD ‘proper’ as I think Hubby needs to check what he’s eating. Any kind of nuts just disappears before I even get a sniff of them so I think no more ordering them. We both felt we needed more fruit on our diet so will continue just being on Keto until the summer glut of lovely berries is over.

I’m very pleased at how I’m going. I just ordered a shed-load of jeggins & some leggins (which I’ve never worn before) Hope they’re not see through! Ordered a size 16 instead of 18-20 so hope they fit as sick of my trousers falling down. I bought online from Matalan, along with some smaller knickers – no expensive ones yet. Bras – have been boil washing mine in the hope they’ll shrink (that works for 1 maybe 2 wears). I did buy just 1 new one & went down 2 bra sizes & amazingly to a GG cup instead of HH or J. Yeah!

We’ve been on 2 week long breaks in our motor- home. Bought a small cooler box as fridge is pretty small, to take most of our groceries SO we pretty much kept to the keto WOE whilst we were away & stayed in ketosis. Had to have a honey ice cream though & delicious it was. 🙂 Shocked myself when visiting the loos on site as they had 6 nearly full length mirrors. I checked every one of them as the first couple I thought were like the ones in a fairground. OMG IF they are real mirrors I can see that I’ve lost a shed=load. There’s more to go but I’m pretty happy with the way things are progressing. Blood Sugars are around the 5 mark, so pretty happy with that too.

Have discovered more wonderful cheeses – the white Stilton with mango & ginger from Tesco in the 3 different {approx 200gm) for £5 is my favourite along with blue Stilton & we’re working our way through the rest. Our cheeseboard always looks wonderful now. Cheese melts biscuits to go with it are just over 2 carbs each. Someday soon gonna try to make some. Heavenly Fan on you tube has some amazing recipes (including chips – which I’ll make sometime soon). Also her walnut bread – so yummy!

Anyways I have to go get hubby some food before his doctor’s visit at 3.30. Keep on keeping on all.

on

Am off on my long awaited holiday tomorrow and I just want to say that when I get back from Stratford and Ragdale I am very, very keen to join in properly and get back into a healthier way of eating. I’ve been off plan way too long. It has done me good to have a break but I feel ready to dust down the scales and my trusted recipe books and can’t wait to shed some excess baggage and look forward to reporting for duty on Monday 26th July. Yowser, you won’t be needing to use that wet lettuce because I tell you what, I’m ready for this!

Keep on keeping on everyone and I’ll check in now and again to see how you are all doing. Cant wait to report my first loss! Who would believe that!

See you all soon!

Cathy

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Jess – thanks, I wish it was just 2.2kg to my final goal though 🙂 I’ve found it easier to break my weight loss goals down into smaller chunks and just focus on one at a time. So yes 2.2kg will see me get down to Overweight on the BMI scale, then when I lose another kilo after that I’ll be in the 80’a not 90’s – I haven’t seen a number beginning with 8 on my scales for many, many years! Once I reach that then I’ll slowly work my way down into the healthy weight range for my height (174cm or 5 ft 9).
    And as for not ordering any unhealthy foods – I didn’t but daughter did so there’s boxes of chips and packets of chocolates in the cupboard still! Tbh they don’t tempt me too much and I find I can fit in a small fun size chocolate bar or a small packet of chips some days and still lose. Wine is my biggest diet saboteur, but that’s another story!

Linda & Hubby – 28lb, wow! You are doing so well 🙂 my middle daughter did Keto a few years ago and lost a lot of weight. My favourite memory from that time was her sitting in McDonalds eating a burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf instead of the usual bun! This might not sound too unusual for some but my daughter is a total salad/veg avoider 🙂 Youngest daughter is the opposite – lives her veggies which is just as well as she’s been following a vegetarian diet for a while now.
    Cathy – I’ll look forward to seeing you back on board on the 28th 🙂
    Hope everyone else is having a good week.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone 🙂
    It’s lovely to see so many here and I am sorry for not answering everyone individually.
    I am back from my month long trip around outback Queensland- back into lockdown in Sydney which is a real change of atmosphere. I had a great trip though food options were almost non existent, it’s carbs or high carbs out there. Still, I didn’t scoop up any weight- I didn’t drop any either but not coming home with any extra feels like a win. I am on the second day of my reboot and my focus is top stick as closely as possible to the WOE and 800cal for the duration of the lock down at least, which will take me to the end of July. I am working from home until then so no temptations in the tea room. I would like to discard 5kg to get to the overweight category instead of obese, best of luck to you Sueblue, I hope you make it. Unlikely that i will but I can hope 🙂

• posted by Au secours
    on

My self sabotage must end today. This is the first day of the rest of my life and I have made the commitment to be slim once more. No more treats at any time as I cant stop at one. The Carb Monster returned to my life when lockdown began and I am so disappointed at how many lbs I have gained during that time. I succumbed once more to baked goods which are my downfall. I have just finished reading Food Junkies and now know that I am definitely one. I cannot control my indulging once I have a taste of the combination of sugar and flour.
    I really must abstain if I want to return to my preferred slimness. I have said this so many many times but I intend this time to just do it instead of talking about it. With determination, commitment, and patience I will reach my goal with the help and encouragement of this friendly group. Have a great on plan day everyone . 😎

• posted by LifeUniverseEverything
    on

I started listening to a podcast yesterday called A Thorough Examination, made by two doctors examining one of them and their relationship with ultra-processed food. Lots of science thrown in about chemical addictions to the contents of the food and a bit of behavioural psychology about food too. Thought some of the group might enjoy it!
    https://player.fm/series/a-thorough-examination-with-drs-chris-and-xand

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi Linda and Hubby nice to meet you! Glad Leto is working for you. I think different things work at different times. Sometimes the body appreciates a shake up. I find nuts hard not to overeat too so I include them in a planned way at breakfast 🙂

Clarinet Cathy – enjoy your holiday. I will live vicariously through you as we are in lockdown here in Sydney…

Sue Blue – I love the idea of mini Goals. You are quite tall too. I am 5’7” and a little so a bit shorter than you but always naturally my healthy weight is a bit more than others. Do you consumer 800cal or have a bit more than that?

Hi Mariet – I feel I need a reboot too. I’m going to start tomorrow.

Thanks LUE for sharing that. Sounds so interesting.

Hi Ausecours, a few of us are turning g over a new page.

Wondering a few things as a newbie, Where do people track your food? Do you meal plan? What do you do if you are hungry at other times?

on

Good morning and hope you are all well. It’s going to be a gorgeous weekend here in the UK: Cathy if you read this what a good week you picked for your holiday! Hope you have a lovely time.

Great to read all the posts this week and a big welcome to those new to this thread. Some great information being exchanged too. Ausecours I feel as if I am always stopping and starting! But I’ve found this WoE does welcome you back with open arms. I’d been doing really well – in terms of getting closer to my goals – until a slight recent hiccup (holiday and back pain) but am climbing back on board again now.

In fact I realise to my horror that it’s only 7 weeks till my wedding!! I say “horror” because I have so much to do! I’d been holding fire to see what was happening in the UK with restrictions etc and now need to get my skates on to make it all happen. I do so want to. be at goal by then too. After a long day wedding dress shopping and bringing home no bags, I’ve ordered one online. Fingers crossed. But even if it fits perfectly I still want to lose those last few pounds to get to goal. I don’t think they will make much difference to how I look, but hopefully I’ll have a bit less belly (last bastion of resistance!) and feel great about it too.

Jess I am really bad at tracking food – keep forgetting – but do find it really helps when I do track. I just use my Fitbit, but I’ve heard others rave about My Fitness Pal. Similarly it does help when I meal plan. I’ve been following this WoE for 4 years now (would you believe it!!) so have a pretty good idea of what to eat and not to eat. But when I need a reboot I do plan meals from one of Michael Mosley’s books and find it’s a great way to get back on track again.

As for feeling hungry at other times it depends. Sometimes you just need to fight through it, maybe have a big drink of water. Or other times I do snack but try to keep it healthy eg nuts, hummus & carrots, and one of the BSD books has a great recipe for Parmesan crisps. Or at other times why not eat your meal at that point if circumstances allow, then leave longer before your next meal. Lots of ways round it, and it depends on what your body is trying to tell you and what your circumstances allow you to do. But for me, this WoE has never been about starving myself or making myself feel ill, it’s about getting into healthy ways of eating and looking after myself better. So sometimes if you feel hungry, you need to eat!!

Have a great weekend everyone, and enjoy the sun if it’s shining for you X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Jess, when I first started BSD 4 years ago I did stick to 800 calories for about 8 weeks, then I switched to 5:2 where I had 2 days of 800 calories and 5 days of around 1200. Nowadays I average around 1100-1200 calories a day, and I’m finding I’m able to lose weight slowly this way. I’m thinking of doing another round of 800 calories for 8 weeks, or otherwise at least 2 x 800 calorie days per week.
    I keep track of calories in My Fitness Pal (free version), its good as you can track weight and upload photos to monitor progress, scan barcodes of products, add recipes (just copy the URL, or add your own), quite a few useful features in the free version.
    I also use an App called Happy Scales to record my weight (free version again),
    I like this app as it gives a moving average for my weight, but also lets me know how many weeks till I can reach goal, how my progress is going etc.
    As for meal planning, yes I do to a point, but it’s more making a list of say 5 main meals, a few lunches and some breakfasts, and then shop for those ingredients. So this week for example
    I’m planning to make Lentil Dahl, Beef Rendang, chicken stir fry and bolognaise. But I don’t always go as far as planning breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day and then stick exactly to that plan, as sometimes I won’t feel like what’s on my plan, or we end up going out or working late or whatever and we have something else (well when not in Lockdown), so In a nutshell I do make a flexible plan I guess 🙂
    As for what to do when hungry, it depends on the time of day and/or how many calories I have left. A glass of water (especially fizzy water) sometimes helps, or a cup of tea, coffee or soup.
    I found chewing slowly on 3 or 4 almonds can stave off hunger pangs, also a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt takes the edge of hunger.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh my goodness! I haven’t been getting notifications ..even tho I ticked for them,the tick’s now disappeared!…I assumed nobody had posted. I need to scroll right back and start reading! X🤓

• posted by Mariet
    on

Five days into my reboot and I have been so good, it helps that e are in a strict lockdown so the food I have (bought while in a very determined mindset) is what’s available until I go back to the shops. I was kinda hoping for a fluid drop in the first few days because the last month has been much carb heavier than normal but sadly no, in fact very little movement on the scales at all.
    But I am already feeling better for the cleaner eating and consistent exercise so just waiting, waiting to see some validation 🙂
    Jess, I’ve been doing BSD on and off for more than 4 years, had great success and lost 50lb and kept it off for more than 2 years but gave up smoking then covid last year and sadly I have put back about 30lb. SO back to basics but it’s a slow process this time around. I also use My Fitness Pal, mainly because it has my weight history going back about 8 years. I can’t be bothered changing now but I do like the app Carb Manager, I find it very user friendly. Best wishes everyone, hoping to read of some good results to keep me optimistic!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Sorry I haven’t been posting recently.Have had a stressful couple of weeks for various reasons and yet again haven’t been sticking to healthy eating.I am annoyed with myself as had pressed the reset switch and was raring to go.I think after many years of emotional eating it can take a good few goes to get out of the habit.I’m intending to concentrate on one day at a time again.I’ve been catching up reading the forums so thanks everyone for positive vibes etc! Dawn X

• posted by Au secours
    on

Unfortunately, still self sabotaging. Not a lot but enough which means I have not discarded but stayed same. What’s wrong with me? Why am I constantly indulging and not sticking to my plan? Where has my motivation gone? Today is a new day therefore I will climb back on the wagon and cling on with all my might so that I dont fall off. Lockdown seems to have really altered my psyche as I find it increasingly difficult to be sensible and aware of those little indulgences which are ruining my desire to be slimmer.
    DCT I hope when your wedding dress arrives it will be beautiful, fit well and that you love it.
    Enjoy a lovely day everyone. 😎

on

Hi Au secours. I hear you!

I think you’ve kind of answered your own question. Lockdown has changed your psyche: it has been significant for all of us. It has put everything else into perspective. It is not surprising you find it “difficult to be sensible” when everything else is difficult and we have to be sensible about so many other things.

There have been a lot of posts during these times about the importance of being kind to ourselves. And I think we need to take this on board and find good ways to indulge ourselves, rather than feeling ashamed about our need to do so.

I’m speaking to myself here too, as I really need to get back on board. A few days of the wrong type of indulgence for me, and those pounds are starting to creep back on. I’m doing a 6-week “wedding crash” reboot as of today, but in my heart of hearts know that I’m not going to stick to 800 every single day. I think I’m going to try and do a bit of a hybrid between Fast-800 and 5:2. I will have some days (more than 2 a week, but definitely not 7) where I am strict and just get on with it. But then other days when I relax a bit and allow myself an indulgence. Mine is wine, yours may be different. I. may try and alternate those days, or do strict weekdays and relaxed weekends. Not sure yet.

For me, exercise is also important and I’ve slipped here too recently. I’m becoming a bit of a couch potato I’m afraid. So my aim is to do one type of exercise every day, either a run, a long walk or a swim. I can do any of those in under an hour and a half per day so I have no excuse not to (especially when my phone informed me yesterday that my daily screen time last week was about two and a half hours! Shocking!!). So as well as improving my diet I want to start getting out and about much more. I find I always begin to feel more motivated when I’m more active.

So anyway, Au secours – and anyone else reading this – I’d say be kind to yourself and perhaps try building in some slack for the odd indulgence, whatever that might be. I honestly think if you know you’ve got something nice to look forward to tomorrow or whenever, it makes things a lot easier than if you are completely denying yourself. Good luck, and keep posting X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Finished my first week yesterday and though there was minimal movement on the scales, I have lost 3cm from my waist which is really encouraging. I measured it three times because I couldn’t believe it 🙂
    I am still working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. I am also living alone and it does get a bit quiet at times. I’m so glad when my exercise times come around, half an hour at lunchtime and another half an hour after work. I relish the opportunity to wave and say hello to neighbours, often it’s my only contact. How have others who work and live alone managed it?
    Hoping everyone is keeping on keeping on and getting some good results.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiii gang! Hope everyone’s advancing nicely!
    MARIET,it’s great you had a NSV! So lovely to lose from yr waist too,so nice to be more ‘ nipped in’!xx
    DCT hows yr wedding reboot going? Wise words as usual from you about locko and it’s effects.xx
    Au SECOURS… Lockos definitely made me greedier and lazier. Not great coping strategies,but these are not great times either. I’ve got a grip on the greediness lately,but still not moving enough. We have to let ourselves off the hook a bit and not judge ourselves too harshly.xx
    Come on DAWN I know you can do it!..ODAAT as our BUSYBEE says ( I miss her😢) Press that reset switch gently,it doesn’t have to be all or nothing,just baby steps and tiny changes til you feel stronger. These are stressful days,so be kind to yrself xx
    Onwards and downwards dear challengees! X ⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰⭐️🥰

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Yowzer,I’ve had pretty good 2 days so starting to feel more in control again! Dawn X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

DAWN well done!💛
    “Every day in every way we’re getting better and better! “( Emile Coue) X

on

Hello everyone – just wanted to say how excited I am about getting healthy again. I’m back in Stratford until Sunday when I go home. Cant wait to see my husband and my cat! Have missed them both! I have enjoyed my holiday but feel fat and bloated and am looking forward to getting back to basics. I am starting 8 weeks BSD on Monday but I am NOT weighing myself until the end of the 8 week stint. I won’t know what I weigh when I start but quite frankly it doesn’t matter. I’m overweight and my clothes feel tight and i don’t want to see the numbers on the scales so this is my plan. I will use Ketostix for the first week to check I am in ketosis and then do what I know works. When I did 8 weeks BSD in 2017 I lost 17.5 lb. I won’t know how much I have lost this time but I should start to feel comfortable in my clothes and I am going to use a pair of tight jeans as my weight loss gauge.

I am away on two little mini breaks again in August but I am still going to be good and I am going to advance to autumn with determination once and for all. I will have my cholesterol rechecked at the end of my eight week stint and then when I weigh myself at the end of September I will know how much work I have ahead of me to get to where I want to be weight wise. I am aiming for 138 lb.

DCT you will be a married lady by the time I complete my 8 weeks and weigh again and I have no doubt that you will look and feel amazing on your wedding day – you’re not far from goal now so keep chipping away and I am sure you will look fabulous on your special day. How exciting!

To everyone who hasn’t got off to a good start, draw a line and start again. We can do this together one day at a time, one meal at a time.

on

Cathy good to hear from you and I will join you in your reboot from tomorrow. Mine was supposed to be last Monday but I went completely off piste last week! Instead of being strict about diet and getting good exercise every day I slobbed in the garden in the sun with wine and snacks. Which means that I now have only 6 weeks till my wedding and I am pretty much back at where I started at the beginning of Jive to July.

So here we go again . . . . !

Hope everyone else is doing well and making some kind of progress? Look forward to stepping out in your lovely company this week X

• posted by Au secours
    on

Thanks for your encouragement DCT. I find it very strange that my willpower just seems to have disappeared. With the weather being so hot I have been wearing dresses every day but I had a shock on Friday when I put on a dress which I hadnt worn since last year. When I looked at myself in the mirror I immediately took it off again as every lb I have gained was cruelly emphasized in a dress which is more fitting than others which dont reflect my gains. Yet I am still indulging in one of my favourite treats,dried fruit, apricots and dates. I had stopped buying them as I knew I would be tempted to indulge myself but recently I purchased them again and temptation raised its ugly head. Every morning I say not today and then I succumb. Just stop it, you silly woman. Do you want to look like a little roly poly, no, so just stop it. I hope we can have a more disciplined week as I do so want to be slim again, and I know you have your wedding dress to encourage you. Lets just do it!!! 😎

• posted by JessKirkpri1
    on

Hi DCT – that’s really exciting about your wedding. Glad you got something you liked online and I’m sure even if you have to get it altered it will still work out cheaper than most
    Options made from scratch so that’s a win! That’s for your advice about tracking. I have been tracking and just staying within my calorie goal even when hungry but usually if Im tracking then I’ve noticed I manage what I eat within my goal and manage hunger. Thanks for the tip.

SueBlue – how are you going now? I’ve downloaded that tracker you mentioned though my scales have died so I’ll need to order another set. I really like the way you talk about having a flexible plan/rough idea for a menu.

Mariet – well done in getting back into a groove. I know you mentioned it’s slow but if you feel great then the cleaner eating is its own reward, on top of that overtime the numbers you want will come .)

Yowzer I love that little affirmation. That’s for sharing. Because even when the results aren’t so fast we are learning!

ADDS and AU S – I second DCT. Be kind to you and maybe start with one small thing which will support your goals but also feels good.

Hi Cathy – lovely you had good weather for the break and sounds like you are solid in your plan even with upcoming events. In 8 weeks DCT will add a husband and you will be down some kgs 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.