About to start the fast 800…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi All,

Just reading through the wonderful posts and making menu plans to commence. Can I ask, does anyone suffer from Acid Reflux (LPR) and tolerate the Mediterranean diet OK? A lot of the foods recommended, like capsicums, tomatoes, eggs and berries, I can’t tolerate. I know I will need to work around this with a little careful planning.

• posted by Beverley
    on

In the book Michael says the diet if adaptable to foods from other cultures, for example, Asian inspired recipes and menus – just follow the basic guidelines of using non-starchy vegetables, drinking lots of water and avoiding anything labelled low-fat. High sugar fruits, such as tropical ones, are a no-no too: try apples and pears instead. I snack on dried apricots (a couple a day at most eaten very slowly) because they are highly nutritious. Nuts, including almond meal or L.S.A. (linseed, sunflower and almond meal), are a mainstay for me too though they bump up the cals and carb count they are filling in a sustaining way.

I think taking out the grain carbs and starchy vegetables from your diet should have an immediately positive effect on your acid reflux – I’m not an expert but that has been my experience in the past. Cutting out bread, and then other wheat based foods from my diet resolved that issue for me before I found out about the blood sugar diet. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi Beverley,

Thanks for getting back. All good tips! I think I may be making this too complex. I just want to eat the same things pretty regularly to begin with. What does an average day meal plan look like for you?

• posted by Beverley
    on

Hi Rubyswallow, my average day meal plan is all over the place… I started a blog to keep track of what I’m eating: http://bsdfast800.blogspot.com.au/. Mostly I am eating familiar meals and foods. It is interesting to see what adds up the carbs and calories. I’m slowly learning which foods I really do need to avoid!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Rubyswallow, many folk following the BSD find their gastric reflux disappears when they are no longer eating carbs.

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Thanks Beverley.

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Thanks Captainlynne. Losing weight has only got to help the reflux in the long term.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rubyswallow, I am one of those whose acid reflux has disappeared on this diet – and there are quite a few of us who have had this experience.
    Also, lots of us eat our familiar foods but just don’t eat the starchy carbs – so you are not alone! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

I am so heartened to hear this Hashimoto. Hoping it works for me. I am such an emotional eater so I will have to start to meditate and exercise more to distract myself. The 5:2 was good because I could cope with the diet for two days a week but would like to see more of a startling weight loss(and less acid reflux issues). I am hoping I can lose some weight quickly on this diet…nothing else has worked. Thank you for your supportive comment:)

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Ruby, I tried 5:2 for a while as well but this is much easier as you can have three meals a day rather than 2 small ones, the extra 200 calories makes such a difference! ๐Ÿ™‚
    My niece weighed herself after 5 days – fully clothed at work, after brekkie and still had a 4lb loss to show!! She said she had ‘had it’ with SW because it had never worked for her. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi hashimoto, I’m not good at sticking at things so the ‘everyday’ of a diet will be hard. The thing I’ll miss the most will be a few white coffees, I think. x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Can you not have white coffee? I still have milk in my tea, though I’ve had to give up the sugar.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Ruby, I still have 2 mugs of nescafe with a splash of milk every morning. I just prefer nescafe to proper coffee these days. I have still lost 3 stones so I would say do not go without your morning cuppa!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Wow, three stone! Congratulations!! May I ask what you eat on an average day?

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

I would probably have too many during the day but I will try and have warm water.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi ruby when i was satisfied with my weight i increased my calories but I still don’t eat starchy carbs.
    A typical start to the day was FF yoghurt with berries or 2 egg omlette

Lunch a salad or soup with a dollop of cream cheese

Evening but be chicken or foil baked cod and veg or a curry

So pretty standard BSD food plan ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi Hashimoto, that plan sounds great. Very doable and one I would stick to. I don’t want the worry of inventive recipes and calorie counting – I know that would trip me up. Can you have a pot of yoghurt 150/200g or is it really just 2 tablespoons? And for the chicken or fish or meat, is it 100g for women? x

PS do you eat any snacks – I’m thinking they will bump up calorie count easily.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Ruby, I have a whole small pot of Fage total yoghurt or quarter of a pot of Aldi authentic greek yoghurt.

The fage is 190 calories a pot
    The Aldi is 165 calories a quarter pot. ( the pot is big)
    A few blueberries, raspberries or strawberries is not many calories.

My son eats a little gem lettuce if he gets hungry!! Plenty of bulk and very few calories.
    I opt for a celery stick as they have next to no calories (12 per stick?)
    you could try a few nuts or a boiled egg or a tiny piece of cheese and nibble slowly!!!

A medium egg is only 66 calories.
    For the fish I go by weight, if it is salmon as it is more calorific than cod.
    A typical piece of cod in a supermarket is about 98 calories.
    A typical piece of supermarket salmon is 282 calories!

Smoked salmon is often a better option on this diet as you can adjust the amount more easily and it is very flavourful. Or you could cut your piece of cooked salmon in half and have it for another day!!! It is lovely with courgetti. It’s worth getting a Cuisique spiraliser when you are on this diet! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi Hashimoto, that plan sounds great. Very doable and one I would stick to. I don’t want the worry of inventive recipes and calorie counting – I know that would trip me up. Can you have a pot of yoghurt 150/200g or is it really just 2 tablespoons? And for the chicken or fish or meat, is it 100g for women? x

PS do you eat any snacks – I’m thinking they will bump up calorie count easily.

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Don’t know how I posted my reply twice!!!

Wow, I see what you mean with cod vs salmon so I need to worry more about the calories than weight. I had to look up Fage yoghurt as I hadn’t heard of it but I think it may be also sold in Aldi here in Australia. I think Jalna and Chobani were pretty good low carb options. I think the soup is a great idea. Maybe I could do some minestrone (no pasta) or chicken soup. You have helped me so much as I have dragged the chain this week worrying about starting – more the logistics and the ‘what ifs’ I can’t stick to it.

It seems that real oats are contentious. I know that Michael Mosely said they are OK but probably not best option, I’m not great with eggs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ruby if you have an Aldi and they do the same foods as over here in the UK I go for their tub of authentic greek yoghurt. They also do bags of milled flaxseed at a very reasonable price. Just a level teaspoon on my yoghurt helps to avoid constipation, is full of goodness and the pack lasts ages!!!

Soup – you can make it from just about anything!!!
    My rule of thumb is: enough water to just about cover the veg. Cook til soft and blitz with a stick.

Courgette and garlic is a good filling, low carb option and freezes well.
    So is cauliflower and blue cheese
    Brocolli and cheese
    asparagus
    the list is endless!! When I have too much parsley or lettuce I make lettuce soup or parsley soup

Oh, celery soup is a low carb low calorie option you can add some cream cheese or cream too.

Only your imagination will limit you ๐Ÿ™‚

Stick with the yoghurt for brekky. I’ve had it almost every day since mid January and I’m still not sick of it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Rubyswallow
    on

Hi Hashmoto,

I realised I never did get back to you on the above post, please accept my apologies!!! Yay, I started the 800 today after any weeks of deliberating (getting my head in the right place). I had your greek yoghurt for brekky, yum!

Please log in or register to post a reply.