800 calories per day or 5600 calories per week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alexginda
    on

I have been successfully following 5:2 and record my food intake online. I keep to the 500 cals per day for women on fast days and to my TDEE on feast days and so far lost 20 lbs quickly and have kept if off. I still enjoy doing one fast day each week. When I know I’m going out for a special occasion I eat less the day or so before and that is how I maintain. Just started BSD so I am also trying to keep below 50g carbs per day.

Do you have to stick to 800 calories per day? Has anyone tried working to 5,600 calories per week?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the BSD alexginda. I think most of us work on trying to keep to 800 per day, but as the diet is meant to be an 8wk period, MM actually says there will be days you are over and days you are under, but over the period it will balance itself out.

I certainly try to stick with 800 a day, but also calculate at the end of the week my overall calories and how that averaged out per day, as there are days when I am over and days I am under. At the moment this week, I am averaging 885 per day, as we ate out last night, which means I need to have quite a lean couple of days to balance things out by the end of the week.

Not sure I have answered your question, but hope it helps.

• posted by alexginda
    on

Thank you SunnyB for such a detailed answer – I don’t have the book yet so I have been scouring this website for information!

Yes, you certainly have answered my question and it is very helpful to read the overall picture from someone who has actually carried out the method I intend to use. I am sticking closely to the 800 cals/day but just wondered if the outcome would be the same if I worked towards a weekly calorie total because I have a couple of special events planned and I want to be able to enjoy them.

I only started BSD last Monday and already feeling much more energetic and have lost a few pounds – let’s see how next week goes!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi alexginda
    Go ahead and ‘save’ some calories for your special events and then enjoy them. I have had a wedding and hubby’s birthday since starting the BSD and used the same method to cater for them. I think on both weeks concerned, I averaged slightly over the 800 per day at the end of the week, but that’s two weeks out of eight (for me minimum) and I am still losing weight, so am not stressing about failing to being dead on the calorie target.

My advise is to keep a check on your carb intake, as this might well impact on weight lose if too high (try to keep it about 50g per day). And be sure to keep fluid intake up as well, as this assists the weight lose too.

Look forward to reading your first week results soon.

• posted by alexginda
    on

Hi SunnyB

Just to say I have lost 4.8lbs in my first week – I weigh daily and the weight went quickly and then stabilised over the weekend. Weekly carbs total averaged out at less than 50g per day and calories at under 800.

I think as I am so used to the 5:2 format I shall join that group and continue for the next seven weeks using my total carb and calorie formula rather than try to stick to less than 50g carbs and 800 calories per day.

Fortunately I do not have diabetes 2, but in the past have been in the prediabetes stage and also have an underactive thyroid so following BSD as more of a preventative measure. As a short person (5’2”) I lost just over 14 lbs last year following 5:2 and try to keep within 120 – 125 lbs. If unchecked I can easily consume a lot of sweet things, so hope BSD will direct my brain towards lower carb options as after Easter I need to get back into the maintenance range.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi alexginda
    Great news on the weight lose, you must be really happy. Whether you decide to stick with then BSD 800 diet or swap back to 5:2, I hope you will continue to make good progress. You maintenance band is where I am aiming for, but I have a bit to do before I get there.

Best of luck for the weeks to come

• posted by alexginda
    on

End of the second week and overall my average has been 81g carbs per day and 824 calories per day. Having lost 4.8 lbs at the end of the first week, I have lost another 1.2 lb and can definitely feel my clothes are loose around my waist. Not had any chocolate cravings or sugar highs and lows and sleeping better and hence feeling more lively. Not expecting to lose any more weight unless I do more exercise.

• posted by alexginda
    on

End of third week and still averaging 832 per day overall even though I had a three course meal at the weekend. Not counting carbs any more as I have managed to stay away from high carb value items. No weight loss but not surprised as many years ago I had extensive tests and at that time was told 895 calories per day was all I needed and now I’m that much older and more sedentary. Not missing chocolate at all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.