800 calories a day is really hard!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LolaF
    on

Hi All
    I’ve just started on the BSD, done it for 5 days now and actually I’ve found that mostly I end up eating between 900-1000 calories a day, mainly because I like a little snack or two throughout the day. Do you think this is OK? Or should I cut back on meal calories so that I can have the snacks?
    Thanks
    Lola F

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi LolaF,
    It depends on what the carbs are for your 900-1000 calories. If they are 60g or lower for the day, you are probably ok. A number of folks on the 800 plan do not count calories at all, but watch portion size and count carbs only – they aim for 50g per day and are losing weight and comfortable.
    Initially I allowed myself snacks – carrots or cherry tomatoes or nuts. However, I weight that lot one day and realised how many calories I was consuming extra! After that I budgeted for ‘snacks’ in my plan for the day – I allowed 50cals and stuck to nuts or cherry tomatoes.
    The first week was the hardest for me, after that is gets easier. For your meals, if having checked the cars, you find that they are too high – check your plate size. I now have a smaller plate, so it controls portion size and if that is full – I now feel full. Also – are you still using low-fat products? If so, take a deep breath and ask for full fat next time. it keeps you full for longer.
    I used to be a snacker, but that went about week 4 – about the same time as I moved to fullfat products.
    good luck and keep on the journey.

• posted by LolaF
    on

thanks for replying Orchid, do you work out the carbs on a particular website or on an app?

• posted by orchid
    on

I use an app on my PC that I have had for a while – Fitness Assistant (x3msoftware). It has a lot of pre-programmed foods – so standard things like carrots, onions etc are already in there. There are also processed foods, but mainly American brands. I put in the ones I buy in the UK myself – it is a pain to begin with, but you soon have your regular shopping list in there. It also holds weight and any training etc.
    Others use apps on their phones – they would have to give you the details as I have not explored them as what I have works for me.
    It would also be very easy to set up a spreadsheet with the foods you use regularly. The supermarkets who do online shopping are now keeping the food information along with the food. You don’t need to be logged on or use the online shopper, just type in the product and you will get the carbs and calories under the description. you can certainly do that quickly for one of your days last week to get an idea of what you had and then plan the future according to what you find.
    Hopefully some others can advise on the phone apps.

• posted by FoFi
    on

I use the free version of myfitnesspal website and app. The numbers are mainly crowd sourced so not always accurate. And also shops change the sizes and amount of sugar in things.

The app seems better for new products with a bar code as I can scan it with my phone, and it also searches well through my previous additions. The defaults tend to be US, but most supermarket products I have scanned have worked well. The website and app are linked.

Please log in or register to post a reply.