8 weeks to Christmas Eve! Any pre-Xmas starters want to explore this together?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hadenough
    on

I have been on this for two weeks now and have lost 5.3kg = 11.7lbs. starting weight 118.4kg = 18st 6lb now 113.1kgs – 17st 11 lbs Am 59yrs old, female, diabetic 2 and on insulin and tablets. I have to say though that since starting this I have gone from having 4 to 5 injections of insulin a day to having 1 (my overnight one) which is good.
    I am not at all hungry but today I am struggling a little. I am really craving some bread (haven’t had any for 2 wks) and some potato chips. Feeling a little down as I don’t want to break this diet. I am hoping to lose at least another 11 or so pounds by Xmas.
    I’m hangin on…haven’t broken it thus far.

• posted by Hopefully Shrinking
    on

Hello everyone.
    I started on 5th November, and have been stalking the forums, but decided it was time to join in now.
    I’m 53, female, and started at 114kg for my 175cm frame. So – a lot to lose, but it tends to make the early days more impressive – 5.5kg so far.
    I’ve now been on the BSD for 10 days – and so far, so good. I’m now past the hangry stage, but I have a history of getting into a diet and then getting derailed by stress/holidays/the need for large quantities of toast and Marmite.
    My thought is to do the diet in sections – with breaks after every 7-8 weeks for holidays/Christmas – I’m hoping that planning them in will stop the temptation to feel deprived.
    It’s nice to see that the challenges I have are not unique. Any advice on eating out, and visiting family would be really helpful.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Everyone
    Firstly, a little mathematical correction to my last post. I said I’d lost 4lbs so far on this challenge (still true) so I need to lose 8lb to reach my 1 stone weight loss goal by Xmas. Wrong! I need to lose 10lb to reach this challenge goal of 1 stone loss by Christmas. (I’ve always been useless at maths) Bummer!
    Oh well, there we are. I’m not too downhearted as I’ve been on the BSD forum since mid-October and in total I’ve lost 10lbs.I very much agree with Jessy’s idea that it’s good that we’re doing it now rather than starting after Christmas. No matter how much or how little we lose over the next few weeks, if we keep going, we’ll still be in that better place in January.

Jessy – you’re doing brilliantly, so you do it however it works for you. You can always change things up further down the line if you want to. Hope the wine thing goes well this weekend.

hadenough – I have Type II diabetes. I’ve never been on insulin but in 2016 I had very high blood sugars. Following the BSD, I managed to get my bgls back into the normal range, my diabetes is ‘in remission’ so I find it moving reading about how fantastically well you are doing in reducing your insulin. Honestly, the cravings do get so much easier as you go along so don’t think you’re going to have to fight them all the time the way you are now maybe. You won’t, promise. Have a good weekend.

Hopefully Shrinking – welcome and good on you for joining. I think it does help to post. Yes, I think there are loads of us who have a long history of dieting. This is my second time here. I’ve put 2 stone back on recently after losing 6 stone in 2016-2017. But I still feel so healthy from the first time round and my diabetes is still in remission, and I now know I can lose the weight – not what I believed first time round.
    In terms of eating out my tips are:
    if I know where I’m going, I look on the menu on the website and choose what to eat beforehand
    I go for protein (chicken, fish, steak) and salad or above ground veg – I just ask to swap chips or potatoes for a side salad – I rarely have a problem.
    if there are carrots or other below ground veg with the meal, I look for any above ground veg being served with another meal and ask to swap.
    As I said I very rarely have a problem switching things round but if a restaurant (or pub) is unwilling I just pay for the whole meal but ask them to leave off the carbs. But as I say, that’s only happened the odd time.
    Visiting family – my close family know I have diabetes so will usually cook things I can eat – or I eat what they have but without the carbs.

Jennie
    Hope everyone is doing well. Alan – how are you going? It would be great to hear from you and everyone else – we’ve still got all to play for.

• posted by hadenough
    on

Hi Jennie
    Thanks for your feedback. I manged to get through yesterday without breaking the diet and today I’m feeling a little better for it, however even though I’m eating healthy I still feel deprived of all that nice highly carbed food out there 🙂 lol All I can do is take a day at a time.

Can I ask how people about how they are feeling about Xmas , as it’s fast approaching? For the first time in 25 years I am going to spend Xmas with a sister who has been living in the UK but is now back in OZ. I know I’m not going to deny myself the enjoyment of that and the festive food that goes along with it, but I am hoping that even though I’ll be eating some high carb foods, I’d like to think that once the festive season has been and gone I can get back on track again. Hence I want to lose as much weight as I can between now and then.

How are others planning their food intake over Christmas?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi hadenough,
    I plan to use the Christmas period and my desire to link it with food to increase my cooking skills and experiment with doing more cooking/baking following low carb recipes. – For example there are low carb flours available which are more expensive than normal flours, but mean that I could have fresh bread with cream cheese for breakfast as a treat if I make it myself.

I will confess that I bought all these ingredients in preparation for Christmas last year but was so tired that when Christmas Day arrived I spent most of it asleep, so they are still in the cupboard.

• posted by AlanT
    on

Hi All,
    Been working away so it has been difficult to get online and post.
    Maxx – apologies. Welcome to the group. How has it gone so far?

My update. Religiously used myfitnesspal to start with and it was great while I got to grips with things but now I just stick to what I know. I generally don’t eat in the day at all and then have a low cal / carb meal at night.
    So far I’ve lost 17lbs and I’m really happy about it. There was a 1.5lb blip for a day last week after a night out which I was determined to lose again and quickly got back on track.
    Another 19lb to go so not even half way there yet but I’m on track so not complaining.
    Not struggling with hunger and not struggling with eating out (salad and proteins) but buffets at conferences / meetings and other times that food is just put in front of me is my downfall.
    Really great to see so many people on here chipping away at their goals – well done everyone.

Quick question. Does anyone bother with the whole med diet thing? I’m not bothering with nuts, oils, fats etc. as they just use up precious calories for tiny amounts. I’m just focusing on calories intake and minimal carbs. I’d be interested to know what others are doing.

Keep it up!
    Al

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Al

17lb loss to date. Wow, what a fantastic loss. That’s brilliant and well done for getting straight back on it after your minor blip.
    I’m losing much more slowly but don’t think I’ve been trying as hard as you clearly have, tbh, so can’t expect the same results. But 1lb off since Friday. So that makes 5lbs loss on this challenge and 11lbs in total.

As far as the med diet thing, I use olive oil , and eat yoghurt (which I’ve always loved).I also eat salmon. I haven’t been brilliant with eating nuts, avocado etc, this time round. I was much better when I first did BSD. But I’ve just got some stuff in, pine nuts, olives, almonds, etc to use in recipes. It’s a vanity thing as much as a health thing because eating them gave a great boost to my complexion last time.

JGwen – thanks for the Xmas tips. I do something similar in that I prepare and buy-in my favourite low-carb foods in preparation.
    hadenough – I’ve just started to plan my Christmas – as a motivator to stick with things now. I plan by making a list of things I’m going to eat on Christmas Day. I stay with low carb things as I usually have an HbA1c blood test in January so don’t want to raise my bgls too much. But I eat things I really enjoy so it does feel like a special occasion to me as well as the rest of my family. While it’ll be low carb I’ll probably relax on the 800 cals for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. (We don’t do loads on New Year’s Eve so will just toast in the New Year). I’ll be super strict between those days. Also, I usually weigh myself. Hopefully, I won’t gain anything but if I do I stop everything at 2lb. So it’s not a week of sheer indulgence and then the massive 6lb gain by Jan 2nd.
    One of the positive things for those of us who’ve been on the weight loss merry-go-round for many years is that we’ll all have our own tactics for managing Christmas and New Year – we just need to stick to them!

n.b. I do need to think more carefully about the drink. I’m not a big drinker but even 1 can send me to raid the fridge and cupboard!

Hope everyone else is getting on well.
    Jennie

• posted by Jennie10
    on

OK Alan, I’ve been thinking about my weight loss compared to yours.
    I’m not competitive in that I’m truly delighted about your weight loss. 17lbs really is great. But, it has got me feeling irritated with myself. I know I haven’t really been trying hard enough. So, taking a leaf out of your book I’m going to set down my plan for the next 5 weeks here.

MY PLAN:
    * 800 cals everyday for the next 5 weeks
    * < 20g carbs every day for the next 5 weeks
    * Gym/Ex Class 3 times a week
    * 10,000 steps every day
    * > 2 litres of water every day
    * No food after 8pm (unless eating out)
    * Weigh and measure everything daily
    *Record everything on fatsecret daily

Currently, I’m 11st 9lbs. My target is to be 11st by Christmas Day. But, what I really want to achieve is to stick to this plan. These are the main things I did last time so I know they’ll work. I just need to stop shilly-shallying and get on with it.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Jennie, I love your plan. Shilly shallying? Is this English or Australian? hahaha

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Violinist
    I’m in the UK. Didn’t know where the phrase came from (just know it’s what I’ve been doing!). But, as a thank you for your ‘resolutions’ post I’ve looked up its origin just for you

shilly-shally
    ‘As is often seen with phrases of two words that rhyme or can be said in a tone, one word has a base while the other one adds to the effect of the idiom. In this case the first word that is shilly comes from “shall I?” When asked a lot of time repeatedly, it becomes ‘shilly’. The first literary use comes from the 1700’s where it was used as “Shill I, shall I” in ‘The way of the world’ by William Congreve. Sir Richard Steele used it in ‘The tender husband, or the accomplish’d fools’ in the exact form that the phrase is seen today. This was in the year 1703’.

Interesting to know, but not good to do. Not when you’re on the BSD!
    Jennie x

• posted by Violinist
    on

So true Jennie!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Sounds like a private language! My family said “what a coincidence” so much when I was growing up that now we say “what a co”

• posted by AlanT
    on

Hi All,
    Those of us who are working to Christmas Eve are exactly half way through today. How are we all doing? Still going strong for another 4 weeks??
    It’s going to be a test as we get nearer to Christmas – we are definitely in Calorie Season now! Those Christmas parties with work, neighbours, friends etc are going to challenge us all but be strong and think how good we’ll feel in January when everyone else is dieting and joining a gym.

My update. I wanted to be under 16 stone by today. This was always a big ask as I started at 17st 8lbs which meant a loss of 22lbs in the first 4 weeks. Today I weighed inat 15st13lbs so I just made it. Phew! Really pleased about that. This leaves me with another 13 to lose in the next 4 weeks – fingers crossed. Clothes feel so much better and I’m wearing t-shirts and shirts that have been disregarded for over a year. Even added another hole to the belt!

Still not eating all day and just having one meal at night – usually meat and something made with home made sauces, cauliflower rice / mash. Friday night was a delicious Chicken Korma from the 150 recipe book and Saturday night was fillet steak from our local butcher with leek & cauliflower mash. Seems to do the trick and I’m steadily losing one pound per day.

I have booked a night out on Christmas Eve and will enjoy my first alcoholic drink – I can smell the pizza and taste the gin already!
    Keep it up everyone – half way there.
    Al

• posted by AlanT
    on

Jennie – How’s ‘the plan’ going?
    Just catching up with older posts that I have missed and I saw your new regime. Looks amazing – have you kept to it?
    Hope so.
    Keep us updated. Good luck!
    A x

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Alan

Wow, what a great weight loss you’ve had. You’re doing brilliantly – you’ll deserve that night out when you get to Christmas Eve.

The plan’s going pretty good, thanks. I’ve weighed and measured all my food and stuck to 800 cals every day.
    My carbs have been between 20 – 25g which I’m OK with. (I use fatsecret and find when I stay at 20g carbs I only reach 600-700 cals, and if I eat 800 cals I mostly go to 23-4g carbs. I’d forgotten it was like that last time, so below 25g is what I’m going for now.)
    I’ve stuck to the increased water and ‘no food after 8pm’. Exercise is the one I need to do a bit better on. Last week it rained a lot so I didn’t get my 10,000 steps every day (I know, what a wuss!) but probably did 4 out of 7 days. I also did 2, not 3, exercise class sessions. But not bad and on track so far this week.

What a pity I’ve only lost 1lb then!?!

Oh, well! Losing a little or a lot, I guess it’s about keeping on going. I’m really pleased you reminded us that we’re half-way through the 8 weeks. I was 12 stone at the start. My target is 11st by Christmas and at this half-way point I’m 11st 8lbs, so only 1lb out. Still all to play for.

Hope everyone else is getting on well xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Thought I’d do a quick report in. My activity targets have gone a bit awry this week as I’ve gone down with some sort of tummy bug and so have not travelled far from the house, but I’ve managed to lose 2lbs so I’m pleased with that. Hope everyone else is doing well.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Alan and everyone,

Well, I’ve lost 1lb this week so I’m now 11st 5lb. I’m struggling to lose at a faster rate at the moment so I think it might be tricky reaching my 11st target in the next 2 weeks. But I have lost 9lbs so far on this challenge so by Christmas at least I’ll be nearer to 11st than 12st and in a stronger place for starting 2019, and that’s got to be a good thing! Still might be able to lose another 1 or 2 pounds so will keep reporting my progress here.

Hope things are still going well for each of you xx

• posted by AlanT
    on

Hi Jennie

Don’t give up! I bet you can do it. One last push?

I’m at 15.5 today from a 17.8 start 6 weeks ago. The target is 15.0 by Xmas eve. Really happy so far although the work Xmas party gave me a 3lb increase overnight!!

Still no booze, bread, pasta or potatoes which seems to make a difference. Lots of veg and meat.

Not changed what I do at all since the start – no food until 7pm when I have my 500-800 calorie meal. For the first 4 weeks it was 1lb a day loss but then it became 0.5 per day.

I’m a bit of an all or nothing person which worries me. I can be strict and committed on this diet but the worry is once it’s over…….

Anyone else wanting to check in as we head into the last 2 weeks?

Keep the faith! 🙂

Al

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Al
    Wow, you’re doing so fantastically well. You must be so pleased with how you’ve done – and rightly so! Wasn’t your original target to get to 15st 5lbs? So you’re going to surpass that by Christmas. Well done that man.

I wouldn’t worry too much about maintenance right now. There’s plenty of time for that and a lot of people on here who can give you advice on maintenance – not me, I’m afraid as I’m a re-gainer, although I could probably write a book on what not to do

As for me, no, I’m not giving up. I’m still going to follow my BSD plan as rigorously as I can but I’m just going to let go of my Christmas 11st target. Over the last week I was beginning to eat a little erratically – over my 800 cals for a few days, then well under 800 for a couple of days – just to try to lose in order to reach that target. So for me the target is just getting in the way of the lifestyle change right now, if that makes sense. For the next 2 weeks I’m going to concentrate on getting what I do right – if I lose a few more lbs great, if not that’s OK too. And relax……

Will update next week. Thanks for the support. x

• posted by AlanT
    on

Jennie, that sounds like a good idea. No point in stressing or getting obsessed with the figures. Far better to focus on what matters.

For the last couple of days I’ve shifted things around and eaten my only meal at lunch rather than dinner. Seems to be more effective but we’ll see over the next few days.

Take care. Good luck!

A

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Alan
    Forgetting about the target has worked a treat for me. I’m doing well on steps and exercise classes etc. Co-incidentally, I’ve been doing one meal a day for the last couple of days – unintentionally on Tuesday (just forgot to eat lunch) but repeated yesterday as I felt so good. Also ate a warm salad for both evening meals – lovely.

Yes, I have read research that says it’s good to eat your main (or only!) meal earlier in the day but not sure if I could quite manage that. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it.
    Cheers
    Jennie

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    So I weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 3lb. Woohoo! I’m now 11st 2lb. I’m not worrying about my target anymore but I have to say it is tantalisingly close – just 2lb!
    Alan – you’re ‘One last push?’ really made me stop and think so thank you for that.
    I’m going to keep going this last week – including doing my warm protein and salad one meal a day which I’m really enjoying. I’ve got a Christmas party to manage on Saturday then I’ll be back on it until Christmas Day.
    Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Take Care
    Jennie
    n.b. I do like things to be nice and round and even so there is something strangely satisfying in realising I have only 1 stone to lose to reach the top of my healthy BMI. A good point to be going into the New Year.
    Of course, looking at the negative – it’s a stone I’d already lost and have regained – sigh. Lesson learnt!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Again, Jennie, shout it from the mou tain tops!!!!! Nice going!!!!!!!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Again, xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Well, it’s that day – Christmas Eve – woohoo!
    I joined this challenge at 12st and my final weigh-in is….11st 2lb. Same as last week.
    My goal was to reach 11st by Christmas Eve, so close but no banana! Still in the last week there has been much merriment, I’ve gained 2lb but managed to lose it again and I had a great night out on Saturday, so I’m happy with where I am.

Hope everyone else has gone well over the last 8 weeks. Have a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
    Jennie
    xx

• posted by AlanT
    on

Hi All,

Not sure how other people are doing or who stuck with us for the whole 8 weeks but today was finally weigh in day – WE MADE IT!

If you even made a handful of ‘better’ decisions and lost a few pounds then that is better than the alternative and you should feel positive. At the hardest time of year we made a tough decision and hopefully it was worth it.

I hit my goal a few days ago and today I’m 14st 12 I wanted to hit 15st on Christmas Eve so I’m happy about that. Loss of 38lbs in the 8 weeks. It’s been tough but I think the hard part starts now to be honest. Maintaining!

Yesterday I put 3 suits, 15 shirts and 8 pairs of jeans / trousers on the Internet for sale. The other day I went into French Connection wearing a pair of 38” jeans and bought a pair of 32”. It was the best feeling.

Someone in here said that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels and it’s kept me going for the entirety of this diet.

The recipes were great and my wife and I will definitely never buy jars of sauce again. We will keep making the meals from the book as we actually really like things like the tagine, Moroccan meatballs etc. May be hard though as I’ve offered to loan the recipe book to all the people who have asked how I’ve done it!

Well – thanks for the support. Hope you are happy with your achievements. Well done!

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

All the best

Alan

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Well done that man!!!. Alan – what a fantastic result – 38lbs down – and I love that French Connection moment – wow! I know you’ve been looking forward to your night out tonight so hope you have a great time and a happy Christmas and all the best for 2019.

Thanks for the company and hope to bump into you around the forums in the New Year.

Jennie

• posted by Filu
    on

Hi everyone,
    I was taken ill with some thyroid issues (unrelated) so had to give up on the diet and haven’t been here but still adhered to low sugar and carb. It is wonderful and inspiring to see your results, congratulations and a merry Christmas to you all!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Filu
    I’m really sorry to hear about your recent health problems and I hope things are looking better health-wise for you now. It’s impressive that you’ve still managed to stay low carb and low sugar given that you’ve not been well. Good on you!!

Not sure what Alan T is doing but there’ll be a few new threads starting in the New Year if you were up to posting. I’m joining the thread running from Jan 1st to Easter (as well as staying on the October starter support group) and there’ll be a new weekly support thread starting at the same time.

Hopefully I’ll see you on the Forums, but whatever’s best for you (posting or not posting) may I wish you a very happy, healthy and peaceful 2019.
    Take care
    Jennie

• posted by Filu
    on

Thank you so much for your kind wishes Jennie!
    I am much better and looking forward to the new year. I might join the Jan 1st thread too, it is definitely a great motivation.
    Thank you and a wonderful new year to you too, see you in the new forums 🙂

Best,
    Filiz

Please log in or register to post a reply.