8 week Fast 800 'reboot' starting 2 January 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh I’m stuck on 10st 3 and a quarter! This is the second week. Must try harder. I kidded myself at weekend that the wine spritzers I had wouldn’t make any difference as they were mainly water but ….. obviously not! I haven’t done dry January but I did cut down so I’ll just say I’ve had a damp January! Nuff said! X. Good luck everyone for your weigh ins today and have a good week

• posted by JGwen
    on

Results for this week.

Down 1.9 kg, which makes a total of 23.8kg loss so far and 10.2 kg to go to my initial target weight.

My other target is to get rid of the heap of clothes on the floor in my bedroom and back to the dress size of the contents of my wardrobe. (I was determined that someday I would get rid of the excess weight I put on after 6 months of inactivity following a broken leg, so my wardrobe still contains the clothes from that date and the larger clothes live in a heap on the floor in front of it.) 5 inches still to go from my waist and 6 inches from my hips.

My nightly game of guess the weight of the squashy bits suggests that I will still have more squashy bits to get rid off to get to my dress size target when I get down to my initial target weight.

I have got into a pattern of eating in a 5 hour window in an afternoon, a small meal around 2 and a larger meal with lots of veg about 6pm, which seems to have broken the period of non moving scales.

• posted by Laska
    on

Oh FFS!!! This is one of the times when I can as sure that my body hates me as much as I hate it! So its ‘official WI day and I am UP 2lbs from my Saturday/ Sunday/ Monday weight.. . And so iI have to report a very very disappointing ‘official’ quarter pound loss from last week.. making me 12.st 3.25 and 8lbs and 3/4 lost

But i did see 12st 1.25 yesterday ..but will my rotten miserable germ-filled hulk of a body reward me with it on WI day .? . NO .. 🙁 ..

I also have a really heavy horrible cold and have been home ill with it for 2 days d but I haven’t had any of the usual hot lemon honey etc etc stuff. Just soup.. low calorie soup and ( i suppose this is what did it) yesterday a piece of chocolate about 50g worth …was still well under 800 cals of food though..

Ok its partly rant against scales an WI days .. I know i am ill, and that am stil on the right track and also that gain will most likely be gone again tomorrow or the next day ..its just that SCALES AND WI DAYS ARE THE DEVIL.. RIGHT???!!!!!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Laska,

Like you my weight loss stalled while I was struggling with a cold even though I stayed on plan. I have been wondering about the whoosh events, water retention and toxins stored in fat combination. There are a number of articles published which suggest that as the amount of fat in a fat cell reduces its replaced with water initially, and then when all the fat in the cell is used up then the water leaves the body in a whoosh event. – There are also articles about how the body uses the fat cells to store toxins. I wonder if the body is replacing the fat with water to help it process the toxins stored in the fat, and only stops filling the fat cells with water once the toxins within that cell have been processed?

Maybe – if you put the two together, dealing with the toxins that are released as we get rid of fat puts a strain on the liver and body that the body decides it can’t cope with while its also fighting an infection. So maybe the whoosh effect is delayed when we have a cold and then comes all at once. – Oh s**t, that means for me that the recent weight losses are the result of saved up weight loss from when I had a cold rather than my achievements this week. – Maybe I don’t like this idea after all.

But it does make me wonder if tactics to help the body process the toxins would smooth out the weight loss process. Has anyone experimented on this idea?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hello rebooters. Quite a mixed weigh-in bag this week so far – particularly with some unco-operative scales, Laska! I’m sure that sometimes they just know when weigh in day is! Well I think we are all doing brilliantly for sticking at it! And JGwen good luck with the wardrobe sorting. You are doing amazingly well.

Today I weighed 78.5 kilos (October 90.5, start of reboot 83.4, last week 79.4). And I am now in my BMI range – albeit right at the top. Yeah! It was a tricky week with a major wobble last Tuesday. But alternating days of 18:6 seem to have helped. My goal for the next half of the reboot is to reach 76 kilos. Doesn’t sound much but I think it is realistically challenging.

Best wishes to all for the next week.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If I can add my tale of woe. Stuck at exactly the same as last week. Cant reduce food any more so going to up my exercise. I was a little slack last week, not due to laziness but due to having to go out (chiropodist, another appointment etc) which means I dont get my days in. I usually do Tues, Wed and Fri morning. Today I have done 50 mins aerobics, planning on going swimming tomorrow so making a start. Another week to go before my birthday on 7th Feb so must keep hard at it.

Hey ho, keeping on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congrats to all those able to report a loss this week and commiserations to those, who like me, have had to report an increase.

I had an inexplicable overnight increase of 2.2lb Sunday into Monday and although a little of that has disappeared, I still have to report an increase on last Tuesday’s weight of 1.6lb. To add insult to injury, my kitchen scales completely died on Sunday, so I haven’t been able to weigh and record intake.

So, have purchase new scales this afternoon and will be back to strictly 800/20 again as of tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a fabulously successful weight loss week.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Laska I am sick too and only lost 0.1 kg though I didn’t connect the two. Interesting theory JGwen, I can always hope! I had blamed it on increasing carbs (on purpose). We’ll see what happens this week.

Caronl that is awesome. Congrats on being in your healthy BMI range.

Sunshine girl and SunnyB, I guess we all have fingers crossed for a whoosh this week!

• posted by Laska
    on

JGwen , I hope you are right.. I was down again today to12.2 and i’ve just been lounging around.. (my cold is too horrid to contemplate doing anything much) .. so some hope then for us Natalie (i hope you are feeling a bit better today) . Was just soup again yesterday (homemade – still the pheasant and veg ) and a little h/m kefir ..

Today I am feeling a bit better . I have a little soup left which I will have for lunch .. nothing eaten yet today – but tonight it will be some ‘skinny chilli’ I made a week ago and froze in 350cal portions

on

still exactly the same but had a good swim this morning and amazing how good I feel. I have found a dermatologist who does facial treatments for wrinkles. Those who know me know I had a treatment whilst on a cruise last year. This years cruise doesn’t have an aesthetics doctor and I wont have it done my a ‘beautician’. Anyway, I sneaked in an appointment for this afternoon to discuss my ugly mug. Will let you know how I get on.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Laska,

When I had my cold earlier this month I was fighting 3 different outbreaks, cold, upset stomach, and an outbreak of spots all hit me at the same time. All three have cleared up and I have discovered I was wrong on my initial thoughts about what a whoosh period consisted of. Have a full blown whoosh session over the last couple of days. – So here’s sipping this days water glass to you that the same happens to you.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi All – sorry I’ve been off the grid – as expected China’s firewall did me no favours. Managed to stay the same weight wise throughout the trip and am still doing dry January (may extend to February as well). Despite being back on plan since the weekend the scales haven’t budged – and I am so busy at work that I don’t think I’m drinking enough. Still in the 10s and not happy about it but I will carry on regardless.

So sorry I can’t stop – so busy and haven’t had a chance to catch up on anyone’s posts but keep on guys and I will be back soon.

TC xxx

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi TC

Bit off-topic but if you’re going to be in China (or India, Russia, the Middle East etc.) often it may be worth you investing in a VPN. There are dozens on the internet, are simple to set up and mine (I use ExpressVPN – no I don’t work for them!) costs a few quid a month, but worth it for access and some enhanced security capability.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry there are so many of our number struggling with winter ailments – hope you’ll all soon be fighting fit again. Good to know you managed to maintain whilst in China, TC and welcome back.

That inexplicable gain is gradually disappearing, but still have 0.4lb to go, to get back to last Tuesday’s weight. Keeping it v. sensible to day, as we are out this evening and whilst I’ll be choosing BSD friendly, there will be a glass of red and some extra calories.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I would like to ask a question of the more experienced maintainers that I know pop onto this thread to help support us.

Over the last couple of weeks my body has sort of decided it doesn’t want 3 meals a day, one meal or a meal and a snack in a 4 or 5 hour period each day is fine. Suddenly drinking water throughout the day is quite refreshing and after a stall period I seem to be going through a stretched out whoosh period. I am happy as well keeping carbs down around the 20g, but eating this way according to fat secret means that my daily cals are coming in around 600.

Is this going to cause my metabolism to slow down, should I increase cals to 800?

I thought that if you were fasting for part of the day and just eating one meal a day your metabolism rate doesn’t change, but I think I saw advice from one of the maintainers to a new comer a couple of days ago suggesting that one meal a day every day with less than 800 cals would cause a drop in metabolism rate. So I am confused. Is it one meal a day with a lot of carbs that causes a slow down in metabolism, but low carb and low cal doesn’t in which case 600 or 800 cals a day wouldn’t make much difference.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, I’d be happy to make an attempt to clarify a lot of the
    bits and pieces in your post, but could you tell us what your macros
    look like on 600 cal. per day. I’m just interested in gms. of protein
    and fats, as your carbs are 20 gm, I think? We can go from there…

Allie

• posted by JackieM
    on

I thought MM said it would take about 6 months of really low calories to go into starvation mode. Unfortunately I have lent my book to someone so can’t reference directly. Isn’t his things lose it as fast as possible, so go for fasting and low calories and low carb for at least 8 weeks, then see how you feel?

Not that I want to subscribe to you starving yourself, but you sound a lot more thoughtful than that from your other posts. I would wonder if you can get enough fibre and protein on really low calories but I don’t think there’s a significance to 800 cals other than most people would not be able to cope below that?

All from memory, though, interested to learn more.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Metabolism rate slows down when muscle mass is lost. Sustained
    600 calorie days suggest to me not enough protein, although if
    you opt for the 5:2 plan at 600 on those 2 days plus the other days
    be regular eating, what you will get for the 7 day average is sub-
    stantially more than 600 cal per day. During previous dieting attempts
    I did eat 600 cal/day over a 5 month period. I lost muscle mass
    and damaged my metabolism. I finally quit the effort when my
    hair started to fall out by the handful. I started eating regularly
    again, and gained it all back with change. The “evidence” is
    anecdotal to be sure, but I wouldn’t wish that on anyone! This
    time around, I used a creditable formula to establish my protein
    levels. Personally, I believe the 800 calorie standard has been
    established as minimum for adequate nutrition. Will wait to hear
    your thoughts, JGwen.

• posted by Antigone
    on

I’m interested in this too. I’m not really sure what carb intake we’re aiming for – guessing around 20g average?
    This weeks averages for me are Carbs 27g, Fat 27g, protein 42g. If I could get the carbs down a bit I’d be happier.
    I look forward to reading more on this topic. 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Alliecat, thank you for the offer to provide more advice based on details.

I tend to have a couple of eggs scrambled with a knob of butter in the microwave, or some natural yogurt mid afternoon and then a meal with lots of veg and either tofu or hummus 3 or 4 hours later. My eating patterns tend to be a bit repetitive as being on the autism spectrum I have a habit of having meals that I like and will repeat for a while and then move on to other meals.

According to fat secret yesterday the scrambled eggs followed by stir fried veg and tofu with some pickled onions when I was in the mood for a snack and 3 mugs of coffee came in at fat 36.29 carbs 27.41 protein 46.9 cals 625.

I have a physically active lifestyle, at least 2 hours per day seeing to the animals needs and the rest of the day is a mixture of house renovation, house work, and admin.

I don’t intend to eat like this long its only 10 days since my body seemed to want to settle into this pattern. From October i had been having 3 meals a day and was struggling to stay in the 800 cal range, during which time I lost 22kg and then weight lost stalled for 3 weeks. Over the last 10 days i have lost 2.4kg. leaving me 9.4kg to reach my initial target weight. However I think that my waist and hip area will still have some inches to loose when I get down to my initial target weight.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen first let me congratulate you on your wonderful losses
    so far. I think you are doing great! I remember reading earlier
    today that your shoulders and upper body are showing big changes,
    and that you are thinking about using your sewing skills to add to your
    wardrobe. Is my memory accurate that you are quite tall? I also
    remember that you are vegetarian…Getting your carbs to 27gm is
    quite the feat for vegs. I DO remember now that you remind me
    that you are on the autism spectrum as well. I’m glad that this
    600 cal./day effort is not a long range plan, but just a natural part
    of changing things up for you. Your fats could go a little higher,
    but in my opinion they aren’t bad. If you are tall, I think your protein
    figure at 46.9gm is low, though. Run your stats using this formula
    to see how your numbers compare: 1gm of protein for every .5 – 1.5 kg
    of IDEAL body weight. The higher figure is often used by body
    builders that spend a lot of time in the gym. At 5’7”, my ideal weight
    is 138lbs, which is where I presently am. I use 1gm of protein
    for 1kg of ideal weight. I’m suppose to consume @62gm of
    protein a day, but most days I hit @ 55. Let us know what you
    find when you run your numbers!

Best,

Allie

• posted by Natalie
    on

I was feeling a lot better today so I did some quite strenuous gardening, now I feel all achy and tired again. But I’m sure I’m on the mend. Hopefully everyone else with the dreaded lurgy is also improving.

Laska pheasant soup sounds very fancy! And delicious I’m sure. I don’t think I’ve ever had pheasant. I love duck, and quail (and chicken of course). And I had pigeon in China. They left the head on which I found a bit confronting.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thanks for the detailed reply Allie,

I am not that tall, just 5ft 8, but I have always had to buy men’s jackets and tee shirts because women’s are too narrow across the shoulders. Think rugby player body shape. I know I am never going to get down to the same size as some of you aim for. I was very ill at one time ending up in hospital on a drip and came out very thin, you could have played a tune on my ribs and then I was down to a dress size 14/16. So no chance of joining in with the chats on the maintainers lists about swapping size 8 clothes.

I don’t know what my ideal weight should be, because I was unable to stomach meat from early childhood, and back in those days options like tofu or even the principle of vegetarian diets wasn’t known. I grew up with a veg and fruit and bread and butter and Yorkshire pudding and baked potatoes and chips diet and have battled my weight all my life. even though calorie intake was low. My mother learnt her cooking style from her mother, and being a vegetarian was unheard of. Nuts were something bought as a Christmas treat, not something used in every day cooking. A jam sandwich, (or sugar sandwich) for tea was perfectly acceptable food for a child. Cooked meals where meat and boiled veg and roast potatoes and if you didn’t eat the meat you got the veg and potatoes.

Its only been a few days that I haven’t felt like eating and it sort of feels like my body is going through a period of wanting to flush something out,. I have never wanted to drink water as much as I am now.

I have played around with fat secret putting in a few different typical day diets prior to BSD , and my protein intake is higher now than it was prior to BSD, the major change is dropping out the carbs and increasing the amount of protein and veg. but I could add some cheese or nuts to increase protein levels even more. Did you have a high protein diet before you started on BSD?

I don’t feel like I my body is under any stress on this diet, in fact it feels like its going – thank heavens – Its sort of fascinating to see how an area of skin starts to dimple, looking like there are lots of thumbs pressing on it, and then it smooths out and you can feel and see the muscles under the skin again, and how this process has been moving little by little up my legs, its been the three inches above my knees turn so far this week.

• posted by Laska
    on

SO I am pleased to say that I am feeling much better today AND I am back to the low weight i saw last weekend 12st 1.5 lbs ..I haven’t done anything different , (or had any major – ahem! ‘happenings’) so I think the toxins theory may be correct ..

Today i am eating the very last of the pheasant soup!!. Natalie its not really that fancy – although its often sold as such in restaurants . Our local butcher always seems to hav e some in this time of year ( we live in an area where people shoot) and in fact they are often really cheap this end of the season (cheaper than chicken lb for lb) .. good for casseroles etc .. I suppose i am just lucky to be able to get them. I also use up the carcass for stock after roastng them .. hence the soup.. ..

on

nice start to the day with 3/4lb loss so maybe the start of something moving. Although I might just have a glass of wine tonight but try to keep it in my calories. Even though I have been totally AF for January I have still only managed to lose 8.25lbs in 4 weeks. Anyway I dont want to spoil it by adding pounds so I will be very careful. BG is steady at around 4.5 so going to reduce insulin by one unit tonight which puts me on 25 units down from 29. I know that doesn’t sound much but I have to remember back when I first started this and I was injecting 39 units. So I am still very happy. Looking forward to what the next 4 weeks bring.

I went to see the dermatologist / plastic surgeon and he said he could give me the injections but as they only last between 3 and 6 months it would be a waste of time. He said I have hardly any wrinkles or crows feet (in France they are called patte d’oie or goose feet) and should concentrate on having an eye lift and smoothing out my jaw line so I am having a non-surgical facelift mid March. It cost the same as the injections did on the cruise but the effects will last around 3 years. Lets see how this works.

• posted by Natalie
    on

JGwen your mention of losing weight on a hospital visit reminded me of being sick when I was 19, no food for a week and in hospital on a drip. I was so excited at how slender I looked! Didn’t last long of course. Not that I was particularly fat back then anyway, I just thought I was.

on

my own fault for having a couple of v&t’s, my 3/4lb is back on. How can just 200 or 300 calories make such a difference. I know the answer, it is not what my body is used to so it reacts. Hey ho. Just done 50 mins of aerobics to make up for it so – no more alcohol until my birthday – Need to get the weight moving again.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g it’s funny how the body reacts sometimes. I have read some people have lost weight after having a few drinks but maybe they are the exception. At least you know the cause of the gain. I have stayed the same for three days but have logged all my food and drink so at least I’ve found the optimum number of calories and carbs I can eat without gaining! Onwards we go!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m not convinced it’s the extra calories that cause the problem, sunshine-girl. Alcohol usually messes with my weight too. Personally, I think it’s probably something to do with how the liver deals with the stress put on it by having to process the alcohol – can’t back that up with scientific evidence though.

Sure you’ll soon see the back of the 3/4lb again – and more besides. Have a good weekend.

• posted by holly_v_h
    on

Hi all, I’m drinking more than usual as per the plan but my skin is very dry, as is my mouth so I’m obviously still not drinking enough. Has anyone got any tips for ways to sneak hydration into low carb low cal meals?
    I am drinking fizzy flavoured water and coffee and tea all day and having soups for lunch most days, it honestly feels like I’m filled with liquid but obviously not enough!
    Probably not helped by the fact I’m doing medium-intensity cardio an hour a day.
    I’d welcome anything you experienced people have to suggest?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Advice request please from those with long experience of this WOL.

My cousins are over in the UK which only happens once every 3 or 4 years, and I am meeting up with them staying with distant family for an afternoon/evening.

I haven’t touched any bread or pasta or carbs since October, but its going to be difficult joining them for a family meal in someone elses house when I know they all tend to eat a carb high diet I am the only non meat eater anyway. I have suggested we have an indian or chinese take away as my treat, to try to push the conversation in the direction of having something that I can select a lowish carb meal from but its been decided to make a decision on Saturday night.

If the worst comes to the worst just how much damage/ how long will it take/ whats the best way to reverse the impact if I have one pasta, or carb based meal? How upset do you think people may be if I take some supplies with me in a separate bag in the car so I could cook something different? – Maybe using the know you are not used to catering for a vegetarian angle?

• posted by Laska
    on

<<Whispers>> I saw a ZERO on the scales this morning!! ……

• posted by Laska
    on

JG just tell them youll bring a dish as you are dieting ! Take some stuffed mushrooms maybe? .. I make Portobello mushroom s stuffed with mashed cannelloni beans garlic herbs some chopped jarred red peppers and smoked paprika , Bake these in adisj with a tomato sauce and sprinkle a little parmesan and extra parsley on top. . . I have made a huge dish of these to take to meals before and had to fight people to get my share.. infact its become one of my DHs most requested meals .. Feta is good i also instead of parmesan

on

Well done Laska, I think that is good news???? JGwen, I think in the whole big scheme of things one meal will not do too much damage. It might stall your weight loss slightly but as long as it is only one meal. You can always push the pasta around your plate like you are eating it but dont put it on your fork. I for one never suffered from carb flu or withdrawal but if you are that way inclined just make sure your small slips dont become big ones and get straight back onto the plan. Try to enjoy the company and dont worry too much about the food.

• posted by Laska
    on

It is good news! ( but Im still only whispering it as its the weekend). Actually I think i want my WI days to be Friday.. as if i am going to eat more it will be at the weekend when Dh is home.

BTW not veggie but bits of chorizo in those mushroom are also good .. in fact i want them for dinner now .. but we have pork steaks and h/m sauerkraut (I have never had it before – was going to last wek but it wasnt ready )

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Excellent news Laska!

JGwen – if it’s not possible just to be up front with your relations, about having changed the way you are eating these days, I think Laska’s idea of taking something with you, which is both a good option for you, but can be shared with the rest of company is a good one. If you do decide to eat whatever is presented to you, the chances are the impact will probably not be huge and any interference with your weight will soon be dealt with, however I have found that these days, I often feel physically dreadful after eating a very carby meal, so that may be a consideration for you also. Might be possible to ask the host/ess, if it’s possible to have something other than pasta? Then maybe there will be things offered which you can pick and choose, so that you can go for the best options as far as the BSD is concerned.

Bottom line though, is that whatever you decide to do, I’m sure in the bigger picture it will all be fine. The important thing is to enjoy spending time with your family and really make the most of the time you have with them. Relax and have fun!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, JGwen! My perspective on your dinner out dilemna comes
    from long experience as a hostess and inveterate party giver:)
    What I always appreciated the most was when a guest with other
    dietary needs brought a vegetarian entree that did NOT require the
    use of my kitchen, and also arrived in the serving vessel! I always
    found it very distracting to have others in the kitchen when I had
    100 things to do to get the meal on the table. This had nothing
    to do with the size of the kitchen, because mine was immense.
    Enjoy your time with your cousins!

Allie

• posted by Natalie
    on

Holly I have found that when I increase my liquid intake I always get thirstier, and dry skin too! I’m usually very dehydrated, or so doctors taking blood tell me, so I think when i drink more my body thinks I’ve left the desert and it wants to stock up on water while it’s available! If I keep up the higher levels, my body realises it doesn’t need to do that and I stop feeling thirsty all the time. Not sure why we get dry skin, must be diverting the liquid elsewhere.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Laska how exciting!

Allie I agree it can be very distracting and difficult when guests need to use your oven, and often carving knives, serving platters and serving implements too when everything you own is already needed for your own cooking! I at least like to know beforehand if they will need a shelf of the oven so I can plan around that. Don’t mean to discourage you from catering to your own needs JGwen! But I’d say definitely let the host know if you’re bringing something that needs kitchen time.

• posted by Natalie
    on

My Monday morning weigh in shows a loss of … 0.2 kg. Another tiny loss. Better than a gain I know, but not very exciting. Increasing my carbs a bit seems to have stalled weight loss, and I’m not sure what to do about it considering low carb makes me so miserable.

I’ve also had the flu all this week, I thought I was nearly better the past two days but this morning I feel awful. Aching all over, especially down my arms and hands.

It has occurred to me that I could be somehow hovering in ‘carb flu’ by eating lowish-carb (50-75g) but not low enough for ketosis. Is this a thing? Like my body can’t settle on either carbs or fat use so makes me feel terrible? I had dismissed the idea of carb flu earlier in the week as my husband was unwell too, and also I was increasing carbs not reducing them! So it’s probably a silly idea.

I’m lucky in that the kids are back at school but I have another week at home so I can take it pretty easy.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday weigh-in people for tomorrow.

• posted by Antigone
    on

0.2 is great Natalie – all in the right direction. I’ve had a more ‘relaxed’ eating weekend with higher carbs than I normally allow myself but I’ve stayed under with calories – that doesn’t seem difficult anymore (said it out loud now!) I think the issue of mood and low carb connection is really interesting – anyone else have any thoughts on this?

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Good news to report …..I have hit two major milestones this week.

As of today, the scales say I have now lost a total of 50 lbs. So very pleased with that, which means I am halfway to the top end of my goal (would like to lose a few more for wiggle room as many others have done, so would like to eventually have a 10 lb range for top and bottom).

And I have also finally gotten out of the 200s and into the 190s. Finally! Spent a large part of the day making up bags of clothes to go to the charity shop.

This is such a great relief as after some early success I had hit a brick wall with just doing a low carb diet. Like many of the other “large number losers” on this forum, keeping calories under 800 and carbs under 20 was the magic combo for me as well. And I have tossed in a couple of fasting days when needed to get over hump or a stall. Once you are carb adapted on “under 20” this is a pretty easy and painless thing to do.

This diet has been a godsend for me when nothing else was working. And for those that are stuggling and are not yet doing the “under 20 carbs”, let me tell you the biggest plus of that (beyond the success) is that it eliminates true hunger. That is a HUGE advantage on a diet and frees you so much.

So hope adding yet another success story to this forum is encouragement for others just starting their BSD journey. This WOL works.

on

Hi everyone, well I have had a total nightmare of a weekend with total self sabotage in action. I have a big birthday this week and everyone wants to celebrate with me so it has been like a weekend party and not over yet. I will be 65 on Wednesday and hubby is taking me out for a meal. I will just get over this then get back on the diet. Good luck everyone who is doing well, not a lot of posting going on.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

LTC – Congratulations! I really felt those words… 🙂

SunnyB – Many happy returns for your special birthday week!

Kazzee xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Not me – I’m done with my birthday this year. Think it is sunshine-girl to be celebrating with this time! Have a great birthday SG.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy (soon to be ) Birthday sunshine-girl. What is life all about if you can’t celebrate these great milestones!!
    The important thing is that your BS is vastly improved and you’ve lowered the amount of insulin you use. This has now become a WOL for you so what are you going to do ….. let those around you celebrate whilst you stick with water and lettuce. You did so well during January so don’t beat yourself up you haven’t gone on all out binge just because you can. I say, although others will no doubt disagree, enjoy your birthday week without the really nasty stuff or guilt and make a date now to start again.

LTC great news and what better way to celebrate than dumping some ‘fat’ clothes. We all know how much better we feel and look in clothes the correct size.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Huge congrats LTC – how wonderful 🙂 You’ve motivated me to keep on the under 20 carbs route.
    Happy Birthday SG 🙂

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Thanks Verano. I have been dragging around 4 sizes of clothes for decades, never willing to give up on the expectation that I would eventually lose all the massive amounts of weight I gained. In all honesty that hope was fading big time until BSD came along. Your right…..feels very good to see some space in the closet for a change. I wish I could have pinned notes inside some of the stuff promoting BSD for the poor souls that would fit into it all, because if it fits….they need to lose weight.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

And thank you Antigone and KazzUK…..that is the whole purpose of this forum. Give hope to others and get support back when we hit a stumble and need a push. I hope sometime to join the Maintenance Club….I find their example very inspiring as I am sure do others.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow, that’s a thought isn’t it Luvtcook? That’s one that has not occurred to me before – makes me feel rather sad actually, that the people who will end up with those clothes, need to find what we found.

Please log in or register to post a reply.