6 days in to Fast 8, and a Saga

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ivanka
    on

Hello. New to the site and the diet. Glad to find a forum where I can find the like-minded and, I hope, some personal accountability.

My story: My diet has been low-carb for the most part for the last 15 years. Except when it isn’t. The plentiful carby treats at grad school, and spending too much sedentary studying are my downfall. Had lots of mysterious weight fluctuations for years, no matter my diet and activity level, caused by an auto-immune disease that has been present (and misdiagnosed) for decades. After a major procedure that treats the problem but causes weight gain, I packed on 80 extremely resistant pounds, trading one life-threatening condition for another one. Diabetes just kills you slower.

After months of increasing A1C results, I was increasingly irritable, lethargic, struggling to sound compos mentis when called on in class, and letting chores and errands pile up until the last possible moment. Things were falling apart, and I was facing a rough round of final exams that were going to be disastrous if I carried on this way. I needed to kick-start a reversal, because nothing I was doing the “low and slow” way was making a difference.

My GP called with my latest batch of lab results and said, “A1C up to 7.2. You’re officially pre-diabetic. I know you won’t like it, but it’s time for some Metformin.” She agreed to let me think it over. I gnashed and grumbled and finally called back a few days later to say, “Okay.” To my surprise, she said, “You know what? This is a big step. You’re in the middle of finals. Stick with the low-carb diet, walk as much as you can, and we’ll re-visit this in a month.”

Stumbled upon the 8 Week BSD in Audible.com, listened, listened again, did the preparation, and called the GP for permission. She said while she loves the Mediterranean diet, she doesn’t like the ELC aspect, and believes low-and-slow weight loss preferable to what she thought would be quick and profound results (that she is sure I’ll gain back shortly). Fortunately, she reluctantly agreed on the conditions that I keep a meticulous diary of the usual stats and have a full check up within a month.

Maybe she’s agreeing so I can be her guinea pig? Whatever it takes to get permission, I say. Both my parents are Type-2, overweight, and struggling with blood pressure. I’m not going down that road. I’m committed to doing this and want to lose 40 pounds by June 27 before moving on to 5:2 to shed the rest.

Using all the recommended gadgets and apps. Six days in, this is what’s happening (including yesterday’s 1400 calorie consumption offset by a day of serious physical labor in the yard):

Female, age 40
    Weight: -14 lbs (mostly water but, I’ll take it)
    BP: 117/56 (and I quit the bp/diuretic!)
    Fasting Bgl: Down from 129 to 113 mg/dl
    Waist: -3.5″
    Average pulse rate: 77 to 80 BPM

Upsides: Already feel miles better in less than a week. Gone from lethargic & “down” to getting work done I’ve neglected for months. Accidentally cut down on caffeine. Better focus on study. Happy to hop on the treadmill a few times a day to catch up on “fun” reading/podcasts/DVR. Already been able to tell a plant-based-diet evangelist sibling to NAFF OFF with the constant hassle about how great it is (maybe some day, but not now, ok?). Even though I gobbled an extra 600 calories of veggies & protein yesterday while doing some hard yard work, I saw no change on the scales (I’m a little…constipated, should have had more H20). My fantasies of not being health-handicapped by one thing or another all the time are feeling less fantastic with each passing hour.

Downsides: Everyone else telling me it’s crazy. My parents, when I told them what I’m up to, were worried rather than hopeful. “800 calories?! That’s so dangerous!” I’ve turned down a few invitations “out” and one offer to bring me dinner. When I explain what I’m doing, it gets the same reaction as my parents’ with a few well-meaning bits of advice about what I really should be doing instead. Thanks and take care, I say.

One obese colleague, determined to lose weight before we both go overseas for a fellowship in July, looked excited and interested when I told her what I was up to on day 1. I think she is waiting to see if I die before she gives it a try herself.

I hope that if I’m successful – and I believe I will be – my parents, friends, and GP will give the Fast 8 a hard look and maybe change their minds and even give it a try. I’m already collecting the information sheets to hand over with my diary and statistics when I see the doc in three weeks, and can’t wait to see her reaction.

That’s it. I’m so glad to find such a wealth of information here from others doing the Fast 8 as well. All the best to you, and thanks for reading.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Ivanka
    Welcome. Great start. Happy you have joined us. Do make sure you drink that 2 – 3 litres fluid. It helps everything. Look at Forum Fast 800, Topic – For anyone suffering from constipation. Dated 5.4.16 to SunnyB.

Also go to http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres. This is Prof Roy Taylor, Newcastle university where the original findings & trial to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes took place. He is funded by UK Diabetes now to do a bigger trial. We can’t wait for the results so are doing it real time with real food, not shakes ( mostly). Search & download info for dr’s & Reply from Prof Taylor on frequently asked questions. This diet by Dr Michael Mosley is based on that trial.

Go to Forum Fast 800, Topic – Percentages. Dated 17.2.16 by Vicfish. Re original Optifast diet & carbs fats & protein amounts used. optifast.com.au print shakes dietary content.
    Hope this gives your Dr all the info needed to really support you. More advice will be along soon I’m sure. Good luck

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome to the family Ivanka.

You’ll find lots of help and support on here.

Together we will show ‘them’ that this not only works, but is sustainable too. We’ve found ourselves in this right at the start of the adventure and are collecting our results as we go to show our individual medical professionals and anyone else who is interested.

You’ll see from the various posts that folk are seeing great improvements: weight loss, reduced blood sugars, reducing or stopping medication, reduced blood pressure to name but a few. Those who’ve tried a ‘treat’ of carbs often find they react badly after being on the BSD for a while so we’re beginning to understand how badly the carbs were affecting our health and our bodies (and how addictive they are) so have decided we won’t be able to take them back into our diets. It’s this new way of eating forever 😃

I look forward to seeing your progress.

• posted by Ivanka
    on

Thanks, Eureka & Captainlynne! Great resources and tips. I’m definitely guzzling the water and probably need to increase by half as much again when I have a “physical” day. It’s nice to feel like I can handle the manual labor! Been a while.

• posted by Collie
    on

Ivanka
    I have enjoyed your post and am keen to follow your results, i am a believer in research based work but all research can be flawed (that is what I tell myself when i am hungry ha ha ) but so many can not be wrong, can they? I am feeling better in my headspace but find menu planning challenging as I eat a lot in volume so a real learning curve.
    I am seeing my gp soon and want some facts to take with me so here goes. Thank you Collie

Please log in or register to post a reply.