4 WEEKS of REFOCUSING from 25th October… looking towards future success!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

About 115 -120 pounds I think at my lightest, I stopped counting really after joining the 100 club. Currently about 112.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mixnmatch, I really appreciate all the contributions that you make to
    these forums. It’s interesting that you bring up captainlynne. When
    I first started reading posts on this forum I heard of her spectacular
    story. I took the time to read thru all of her past replies hoping to
    gain some additional knowledge by doing so. I read about reversing
    T2D, a huge accomplishment indeed! Shortly before she stopped
    posting, only to briefly return several months later to report a gain
    of 17lbs, I noticed that a lot of her posts were focused on vanity
    issues like make-up consultations, pencil skirts, hair stylists,
    wardrobe consultations and the like, and no longer had much
    to do with overall health. This made a big impression on me,
    believe it or not, and I’ve been determined to not lose focus on
    the journey forward. Everyone here has such generosity of spirit,
    and I’m so happy to get to know all of you!

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you so much for posting your results!!!! I REALLY appreciate
    it, Mixnmatch. I’m now going over to the 100 club to read all about
    it! You’re a star 🙂

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

MnM thank you. Yes you are a bit younger than me! I am really encouraged that skin tone can keep improving for up to two years. So encouraging. I have to be honest at the moment it’s just bingo wings but, the visions that spring before me, from gastric bypass surgery, are truly frightening!

Allie strangely enough Captainlynne is a ‘captain’ in the Salvation Army, not sure if you know of that in the US but it’s a Christian organisation. I think her talk of make up etc was more a result of her being featured in the Daily Mail as a great loser on BSD. I think somebody posted the link to that article on another thread, maybe Remember, Remember. She did so well, she was very generous with her help for us newbies at the time and I was sorry that she had to come back. I’m even more sorry that she did come back only briefly as she probably needed our support but didn’t stay around for us to help her. She had been having a rough time.

If you are out there Captainlynne come back and say hello!

Lots of people have come and gone on these boards and you often wonder if they made it, in the long term, and are living the ‘dream’ or have fallen by the wayside, and need help but are too ‘ashamed ‘ to come back.

We are all still here continuing our journey, whatever that may be, but the important thing is we are all still here giving/taking advice and help. That’s why we are all succeeding!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, Verano, it would be be so sad to know that anyone felt too
    ashamed to come back. The support here is so sincere and lacking
    in judgement. I also hope to see captainlynne back one day too!
    Someone was kind enough to provide a link to the dailymail photo
    shoot. Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Verano, I’ve got all kinds of fascinating sags hither and yon. My bingo wings are so empty now they’re basically two-dimensional. You can see my triceps when I flex, that’s how thin the connection point is between the wing and underarm. Thighs have pleats like my high school uniform skirt. All butt padding is gone but pancaked skin remains. My belly, oddly enough, looks if not normal, no different from many mothers’ bellies I’ve seen. A little pooch but nothing gaspworthy. Considering when I started out that belly was wider than I am tall (seriously, 3 inches wider), I’m more than okay with the pooch.

This was bound to happen. I knew from the beginning that with 200 pounds to lose, there wasn’t going to be any magical bouncing back of my 45-year-old skin. Is it unsightly? Yup. Does it get me down sometimes. Sure. But it’s no problem whatsoever to cover up in normal clothes. I don’t have to wear head to toe scuba gear or anything. I’m also extremely fortunate in that the way my fat was distributed and the locations and dimensions of the loose skin don’t show up at all through clothes, even lighter weight tops and breezy cotton cargo capris. Some of the people I’ve seen on extreme weight loss tv shows are left with pretty serious disfigurements that make them constantly self-conscious even when dressed.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and last day of week 2!

Esnecca I’m pleased that any ‘crinkles’ you may have can be hidden by ordinary clothes and they don’t cause you too much pain. I guess I just can’t get rid of the image of the only person I know to have lost a serious amount of weight, albeit by surgery. I know in my heart of hearts that I would never look like that but nonetheless, the picture is in my mind and I’m sure it’s stopping me progressing, but only in a very minor way. Anyway, I think my plan now to lose 2 stone then a further stone at a time may be the best way for me to go, and then I can keep re-assessing on the way. I am starting to sound really vain but I’m not really!

So yesterday was a far better day for me with butternut squash soup for lunch and venison burgers and salad for dinner with a few glasses of red, which I know have to go, and just 3 brazil nuts and 10 almonds as snacks. I managed reasonably well with water and didn’t have a crisp or a biscuit, so getting there. I didn’t log into fatsecret yesterday as I had no count for the soup but I know that I have to get back into the habit of noting everything down. Nonetheless, I do feel that after nearly 2 weeks I am starting to refocus!

Hope everyone else is managing to do well with their own personal refocus too.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, Verano, on avoiding the crisps and biscuits! My
    purple pompoms are in the air..Backflip, backflip, backflip. 🙂
    I WILL, I WILL, I WILL take a 40 min. walk today, no excuses!

Everyone, we’re 2 weeks in tomorrow. Let’s make today count.
    Seal the deal with one very loud cheer! Theodora?

• posted by Theodora
    on

I’m here, Allie – cheering with the best of them. Hip hip hooray🎆🎇🎊

Well done, Verano – I’ve never doubted that you could, and would, do it!😝

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you, thank you, all this waving, jumping and cheering is certainly keeping me away from the biscuit tin. For the last two days my oh has offered me biscuits after lunch and both days I’ve resisted! I know that it’s only a small step but it will lead to a marathon.! Just off to have my three Brazil nut snack!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Verano, I’m hoping that you will be able to clear up this distinction for
    a dopey american once and for all….Is an English biscuit equivalent
    to an American cookie? Is an American biscuit similar to a British
    scone? Is a digestive like a hard crunchy U.S. graham cracker?
    Finally, is a chip like an American french fried potato? Is a crisp
    like a thin potato chip? My britdictionary grows daily, but I’m
    still confused about these items 🙂 Sorry to be such a dolt!

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m tearing my hair out trying to download a playlist to my ipod and I’m sure if there was a seven year old here they would do it in a flash. So your question brings me back to sanity…

A British biscuit, sweet and crisp, is an American cookie
    A British cookie is usually softer than a biscuit.
    I don’t know what an American biscuit is but a scone is like a cross between a cake and a biscuit and can be sweet or savoury.
    I don’t know what a Graham cracker is but crackers here tend to be very crisp and dry and you usually put cheese etc. on them.
    A digestive is a British sweet biscuit and can be covered in chocolate or even eaten with cheese!!!
    A British chip is a French fry and a crisp is a potato chip.

Don’t know if that makes it any clearer or not!!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, Verano – you need to train your husband better!😜

But well done on resisting😘

• posted by Verano
    on

Bless him Theodora but he just forgets the way I eat now. Despite the fact that I have been following BSD for 16 months he is still amazed that I don’t eat bread etc. I have now given up because I don’t think he’ll ever work it out!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hooray, Verano! Thanks so much, now I get it 🙂 🙂 🙂 Whatever
    your guilty pleasure, great work in resisting!

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Wow, so many replies when I look away for a bit!
    Lessmuffintop, unfortunately significant amounts of exercise do temporarily slow down weight loss. I came across a really good article a while back explaining why, but sadly did not bookmark it. Basically, our bodies are not good at burning fat stores and repairing cell damage at the same time. They can only focus on one or the other, and when there is cell damage, such as happens during significant physical activity, that gets priority, so weight loss slows down.
    Eating more protein won’t stop the slowdown, but, if you’re not eating enough, the repairs will be slower, so it will take longer to get back to weight loss mode. What I’m trying to say is, don’t expect eating more protein to have much noticeable effect at getting your weight loss back on track. It is vital to get enough though.
    Another thing about exercise, the calories burned while actually doing even vigorous activities, are minimal compared to the amount that extra muscle burns, even overnight while sleeping, so a little resistance exercise gives a lot of benefit for the effort compared to ‘calorie burning’ type of exercises.
    As long as you enjoy it, and are fit enough to be able to do it safely, a little bit of ‘get you out of puff’ exercise is also good, but hours is not better than a little. I forget how much is optimum, but it’s not more than 1/2 an hour, and I think it’s more like 10 to 20 minutes. Certainly that’s enough for me to feel energised! Oh, and little bursts are more effective than continual slog. 😀
    My usual ‘trigger’ for realising I’ve not eaten enough protein, is when I CBA with something, but now that you’ve drawn my attention to it, I did get dizzy swimming, both times that I had bad after effects. I will take that dizziness as a cue for a shake in future. Thanks.
    For sleep, going to bed hungry is definitely bad. I have serious issues with sleep, both insomnia, and daytime sleepiness, and this is actually more my focus these days than weight loss. (I know the recipe for WL, I just need to stick to the plan for it to happen!) I have major problems getting back to sleep when I wake in the small hours, and rarely sleep the night through, although I have done it a few times this year. Unfortunately I don’t know what the trigger was, other than it being dietary.
    From a state of deficiency, more protein definitely helped, but, I am currently getting sleepy enough to get back to sleep, so I’ll wish you all ‘good night’ for now.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. An early post on a busy day. I’ve been following the conversations with interest – particularly on exercise, where I do little more than a lot of walking at the moment. Time for some resistance exercises I see!

Anyway at the end of week 2 (but for me 12 days, as a late starter), I have lost a further 1.2 kilos, 2lbs 10oz. So 3.2 kilo, just over half a stone since I started. I hadn’t realised it was half a stone until typing this, so now feeling reasonably content. I can see a difference in my face and slowly-emerging waist, which is really encouraging.

I can’t say that I found this week easy. I do miss potatoes/rice etc. But I am trying to make do with hummus, cauliflower etc. For the coming week, I want to plan a bit better so that I vary things a bit, drink more water (which I still find a struggle), and carry on with 5:2. I also plan a browsing trip to find some nice clothes to buy nearer Christmas!

Good luck to everyone for the coming week. I’m thinking of the pink top and pom poms!

• posted by Verano
    on

WEEK 3 DAY 1

Good morning

Week two is done and dusted so let week 3 commence!

We seem to have lost quite a few people from the start of this short journey but hopefully the ‘remainers’ are all managing to refocus.

Well done Caronl that’s a great start for you. You will find that you eventually lose the ‘taste’ for potatoes etc. just try to persevere. Planning is essential and water is also but for some reason lots of us find it difficult to get enough each day. Just one point other liquids do count as well such as tea/coffee soup etc. Water is the drink of choice but if you manage 1.5lts a day that should be sufficient. Somebody will put me right about that I’m sure! I don’t know if you are following the MM series in the Daily Mail at the moment but it has some good tips, one of which is planning ahead. You can get the Mail online to catch up with the series. I remember in my early days here I used to plan my day’s meals ahead on fatsecret, never could do more than a day at a time, but it did help me to stay away from very carby foods.

So for my second week I have had a miraculous loss, not large at 1/2lb, but a loss I wasn’t expecting. This day last month I was at my lowest ever BSD weight and I’m only 2.5lbs above that now so I’m not feeling totally despondent. In fact I think I am really refocusing and getting my mojo back …. thank goodness.

Very interesting post about exercise Ancient Weaver it makes me feel far less guilty but I must do my resistance exercises more regularly!

Have a good day and hope this week sees some real steps forward towards our goals.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi V, I am still here reading but not posting as much as I am also on the November challenge. I have to cut down on my posts as I get a bit obsessed with the site. I still like to see if there are any newbies needing help but tend not to jump in so much if others have also answered. It is a matter of time management as I have been doing a Futurelearn Mindfulness course and starting another one around 12th November. Plus I have just bought another French course to mix things up a bit and get back some enthusiasm. Well done one reaching your lowest weight even though there are ups and downs. I was down yesterday but up 200 gr this morning hey ho.

Dont forget to keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g good to see you doing so well. I do read the November thread but don’t post often, as you say, it can get a bit obsessive. How was the Mindfulness course? I started it but I just couldn’t get into it. I remember many years ago, before some surgery, I had a session with somebody and was given a ‘relaxation’ tape, but it just didn’t do it for me. I don’t think I have the patience. Is your new course a follow on? I must admit to signing up for quite a few courses this year but haven’t had the staying power. Maybe next year, now that my hip seems to be sorted.

I won’t forget if you don’t……

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning.

We ( or at least I !!) are now in the second half of this challenge. I have certainly increased my water intake on the days I’m home so I feel that I have become refocused in that way. Now I need to tackle my exercising. I tend to use my weights and bands one day and then forget for a few days so I need to get into a better routine. Must get rid of the bingo wings!

So for the second half of this challenge I will exercise everyday … it’s only two weeks, and I’m sure I can do that, and hopefully it will have become a habit by November 22nd … or at least I will be on my way to making it a habit.

Have a good day.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good morning V. Pleased to hear you are still refocusing.

As far as increasing your exercise is concerned, a little bird told me that pompom waving is great for batwings, especially if they’re shocking pink – err the pompoms, not the batwings 😉😄😉

Keep up the good work

Cheerleader Theo🔮🔮

• posted by caronl
    on

Good for you Verano! I’m just back from my daily dog walk – the only other exercise today will be lots of housework. But it still stops me sitting down! Very best wishes for the coming week. I am drinking a glass of water in your honour!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you Theodora for all your waving … it keeps me smiling while keep you fit!

Caron thanks for raising a glass something I’m stopping from today unless it contains water!!!

I have just realised that during this challenge I have actually stopped having breakfast which makes my overnight fast much longer. Hopefully there will be rewards over the coming weeks.

Today I am aiming to stay at 20g of carbs. No breakfast and lunch of chilli prawns, watercress and a tablespoon of Hellmans salad cream, my latest craze, and altogether less than 4g! So who knows maybe I can do it if I really try hard. I’m going to pop over to the 20g thread for some inspiration from Allie and Esnecca’s posts. Will report back on my carb progress tomorrow.

on

Hi V, the Mindfulness course is a follow on from the first 4 weeks I did but it is also advertised as a stand alone. Worth looking at, I enjoyed the first one.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Verano, I’m with you on the second half of this challenge, too. I’m
    sure upping the water will work for you. I’m just the same, losing
    track of which days I’ve been using my 5lb weights, doing multiple
    sets of squats, leg lifts, etc. I keep meaning to get resistance bands,
    so thanks for reminding me. I have an out of town friend who makes
    it a priority to walk every single day, regardless of temperature or
    precipitation. Usually at 6:00am! I know I would be a much more
    disciplined person if I lived next door to her. Have you been able to
    increase your distance without stopping this week?

Love,

Allie

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, Allie – get a dog, or like me two – the bigger and bouncier the better, then you will have no choice but to walk (at least once a day, mine demand twice, or even three times some days!) regardless of weather. My three hours plus of walking every day, up hill and down dale, has certainly kept me far fitter over the years than my non-dog owning friends, even when I was carrying the extra weight.😜

Well done on all your additional exercise though, somehow I just don’t have the willpower to do that (or the time, frankly, after all my walking)

Verano, well done on dropping to 2 meals a day, I’m sure it will help. I have late breakfast (after dog walk) at 11am then go through to an early supper at 6pm, unless we are entertaining or dining out, in which case it is generally nearer 8pm. On the odd day I’m lunching out, I skip both breakfast and supper and stick to just the one meal. Works for me😊

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks s-g I’ll take a look. I also need to read that chapter in the BSD book which I’m yet to do!

Allie glad there’s someone still here with me! I know Caron is as well. They say it takes 21days to make a new habit but apparently that’s only with something easy, like drinking a glass of water. Why do we all have so much of a problem doing it? More difficult habits like exercise can take much longer! Fingers crosssed you will get there but it may take longer than these 4 weeks. To be honest I’ve not really been conscious of how far I’m walking I just know that I can walk and stand for much longer than before my surgery. I’m never going to have the joy of ‘going for a walk’, for me it’s more a case of getting from A to B without as little trouble as possible! But hey it could be worse at least I can walk.

on

Verano you might also want to have a look at UTube Kristin Neff on Discover the Power of Self Compassion.

• posted by Verano
    on

Will do and thanks.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Arriving very late to this thread but VERANO thank you..yr words helped me express to myself how i feel right now..
    Quote :-
    ” my goal for the next 4 weeks is to refocus, stop looking backwards to my success in the past and start focusing on the future. I just want to get back into losing mode instead of maintenance so no specific weight loss target as yet just a desire to recapture my ‘losing’ spirit.”

Also,So glad yr hip surgery went well VERANO. And not long now til yr holibobz! X

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning very early today just not been sleeping well lately. I often read of people folllowing this WOE suddenly start sleeping through the night etc. well it’s never happened to me!

Nice to see you here Yowzer and thank you yes , touch wood, all seems to be going in the right direction. Thank you again for reminding why I started this thread I have reread your post several times because I had truly forgotten why I’m here! I need to shake myself up and just get on with things. Let’s hope we can refocus and get back into losing mode. How are you getting on with the 20g?

Today I just want to focus on my carbs. I did manage 20g yesterday food wise but then I had some wine with dinner. I still ended up with respectable totals but not quite good enough. Today is another day and I will do my best to stay on target.

Hope you all have a good refocusing day… remember the prize!

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hello lovely people. I am back and it’s lovely to see some old (slimmer) faces. Although I am late to this thread, I hope you’ll let me come along on the ride. (Pom-poms at the ready)

• posted by loopylou
    on

When I said old, I meant familiar !!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi loopylou good to see you to and welcome on board. Are you a pompom waving maintainer or a still looking to loser? Whichever good to see you back.

• posted by loopylou
    on

A hope to be loser. Got told yesterday By the nurse that I had high blood pressure. So need to lose some inches and get my bp down! Determined to see it through this time.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Verano, wishing you well over the weekend! Great that you managed
    20g of carbs yesterday. Until the cocktail hour 🙂 A glass of chardonnay
    is 3.8, so you see how I sometimes end up at 30???? I’m either a 0 or
    2 glass girl, no half way measures for me!

Time to lift some weights, and throw in a cartwheel for those
    with us. Have a great weekend,

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Allie, and to you. I’m actually quite surprised at how easy it is to stay less than 20g without wine! I hadn’t realised I’m doing 15/9 at the moment because I’m not having breakfast and today with prawns, smoked salmon and watercress salad for brunch, and steak, asparagus and broccoli for dinner with a snack of almonds I’m still under 9g. Unbelievable! I hadn’t realised it was even possible but it is. I don’t normally eat all those lovely things in one day just had some left overs in the fridge.

Monday is my next blood test day and I’m just praying that I’ve done enough to stay off metformin. I haven’t put any weight on but I have been having more carbs so it will be interesting to see what both my cholesterol and HbA1c are. Even if my BS is raised I’m going to ask for a further 3 months to control my diabetes with diet again. Next Thursday is D day so almost a week to wait!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes Verano, all things are truly possible, aren’t they?! So happy that
    you are “going for it” 🙂 Best of luck with the blood tests on Mon.
    Is it correct that Hbac1 measures a 3 month average? Because of
    my husband’s heart condition, we really watch the chloresterol around
    here. We’ve both cut out all cheese, and we both have gone from
    high levels to optimal ranges. Just a tip if your chloresterol is on
    the high side. Shellfish, especially shrimp, is rather high. Strangely,
    sea scallops are not. Who knew????

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes HbA1c is a rough three month average. They say that the lifetime of a blood cell is between 8 and 12 weeks. My cholesterol dropped before I started BSD from 5.2 to 4.5 but I have no idea why. It has stayed in the mid 4s since I’ve been eating this way but I don’t eat prawns often and I only have 70g so I don’t think it will make much difference but I have been eating a lot of cheese, so we will see!

on

Bingo wings and skin tone.
    Some time back now, one of my sons caught me doing some of my resistance exercises and asked why I was doing them. At that time, they were focused on my bingo wings and I told him I was trying to tone up my BW’s and he said it was nothing to do with muscle tone or fat, even so-and-so (a fit and skinny woman on the telly whose name eludes me at the moment) has bingo wings!
    Indeed, after a few sessions I developed a bit of muscle there, and I can now tell that the floppy part of *my* arms is not muscle. In my case it is actually fat, but from my son’s remark, I realised that actually relaxed muscle will flop as well anyway! (He had said so-and-so had bw’s when she put her arms up and waved.)
    That’s not to say muscle toning/building is bad, just that there is no point focusing on the negative, and concentrate on making sure the content of bw’s is more muscle than fat. I still have a way to go for that, but I am working on it. 🙂
    If it really is loose skin, (mine aren’t), perhaps fasting does help. I hadn’t thought to check, until folks on this thread mentioned it, but my skin tone and elasticity has actually improved some time in the last few years (pinch test). It might be due to increased protein, cutting out carbs, reducing calories to 800, the exercises, or fasting, but from reading on the net, it seems most likely to be autophagy due, either to the calorie restriction or the daytime fasting. I’m not a smoker and never have been, nor have I ever been a ‘low fat’ eater, although I suppose it’s possible that it’s due to eating more oily fish, but I have always eaten a fair amount of them, and the improvement is significant, it really pings back into place, even on my bingo wings, and actually even on the back of my hands, where it looks appropriately old, it snaps back almost instantly.
    When I was a kid I heard about skin aging, and the pinch test, and tried it on my Mum, who is about 30 years older than me, and remembered it years later when I got to the age that she had been, and sure enough my skin was just as slow as hers had been, but now it’s nearly as snappy as when I was a kid! In the morning, I’m going to try it on my son for comparison!
    It’s got to be due to one or a combination of the things I’ve listed, but I’m astonished at how good my skin tone is. I keep pinching myself in different places, but it’s snappy all over! It can’t be due to fat pulling my skin tight either though, as I have lost over 1.5 stone in the last few months, so if anything my skin should be looser!

Sleep.
    I have had problems with sleep all my life, and especially the last 10 years, but with dietary changes earlier this year, I actually had a few nights of sleeping the night through. Unfortunately although I had a few more good nights while I was away, when I visited family abroad, that was the end of it, just a week or so of close to proper sleeping, (I still had problems getting to sleep in the first place) and it didn’t come back after I got back either.
    I think I have found the reason it didn’t happen again, but need to experiment to be sure.
    Before I went away, I had relatively recently increased my protein intake and had only just cut out sufficient carbs to stop putting on weight. I’m not sure at that time whether this included carrots and parsnips or not, but I certainly haven’t had more than one or two pieces since going away. Recent reading suggested that carrot and parsley family might be beneficial, and experimentation in the form of celery stew with lots of parsley, has been significantly beneficial, so I’m wondering if carrots, or rather the lack of them, might be responsible for your lack of sleep.
    Not sure if I’ve explained that as well as I could have, but I’m finally getting sleepy again, so going to try and get another hour or two of sleep before dawn. (I didn’t have any celery stew yesterday, and woke at 4. 🙁 )

• posted by Sueonit
    on

Good morning all, it’s been great reading your posts, they do motivate me onwards. They can also make me feel very emotional as they are open and true and honest, I applaud all of you on your journeys! I have very high BP and have started taking meds’ for it, I would prefer not too. So here I am doing this way of eating and enjoying it!! Albeit I miss some treats but
    week 3 1lb off so I am happy with that😊
    I am away staying with relatives trying to make sure I can stay on it!! Thinking about my BWs will do some hand weights💪 And try to add some more exercise😱 good luck all 👍

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning … WEEK 3 / DAY 4 … heading towards the last week …..

I hope refocusing is working for you. I had another day yesterday without breakfast and I think I have cracked it now because I’m no longer hungry in the morning. So to today I will have brunch around 1pm. Also I’m finding it’s possible to cut way back on carbs eating this way. I know missing breakfast isn’t for everyone but if you are finding it difficult to stay low carb give it a go, unless you have diabetes when it may be unwise to ‘fast’.

Very interesting post Ancient Weaver I’m going to read it again thoroughly later.

Good to ‘see’ you Sueonit think maybe we all suffer with bingo wings …. those that don’t are bound to respond!

Have a good day/weekend all.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi all — some interesting thoughts Ancient weaver — I agree, skin tone keeps improving as we eat the BSD way! I have read that sugar is particularly damaging to skin and probably cutting the sugar (in ALL forms) has made a huge difference but I also agree that wild fish and lots of veg like parsley and greens of all sorts must also be helping.
    I saw an old acquaintance the other day and she stopped dead and said “don’t you ever age?” Which was an incredible compliment and testament to the BSD! (She doesn’t know I go to bed at 8 pm which I think is a sure sign of aging ha ha!).
    By the way, regarding sleep, this may not apply to you because your sleep pattern is old but the research says we should turn OFF our computers and cell phones and tablets very early in the evening — I don’t use mine after 6 pm — because the specific blue light they emit interferes with your production of melatonin. Melatonin has its own daily cycle in the body and rises at night to set us up for sleep.
    I have started to go back to reading at night to help me sleep (and don’t look at phone during night, use a regular alarm clock)

• posted by Theodora
    on

Sounding as though you are all doing well in your refocusing, so still jumping here, still cheering, and still waving those pink pompoms for you all.

V – hope the blood test goes well. x

• posted by JackieM
    on

63kg, lowest yet and 1kg since refocusing! Like you Verano, no breakfast for me is the way forward I think. I eat about 11am. Lots of fluctuations but all below 64kg which is my original target weight. So, 3 more to go and I’m done, I think.

I had gin, soda water and lime last night. 0 carbs!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning ….. just 10 days of this challenge left! Where does the time go?

Thanks on both counts Theodora I’ll be sure to post my results on Thursday after my check up. I must admit I’m not feeling too optimistic so a good result will be great news.

Sleep …. I have no problem going to sleep but when I wake after that first 4 hour cycle I often find it very difficult to get back to sleep.

We have quite a ‘social’ week this week starting with lunch out today. I’ve checked the menu and I think I may struggle to find BSD friendly food but will do my best. Think I may need to break my fast with a little something early today as we aren’t eating till 2pm and that could be closer to 3pm, and I know by then I will be really hungry so need to change things around a little today. I am enjoying not eating breakfast and think I might need to ‘force’ myself today.

Hope you all have a good Sunday.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good news JackieM! I never ate breakfast years ago but I think since I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2011 I started eating 3 meals a day plus because I was frightened of hypos. If only I had been better educated then! But I am now so no more excuses! Good luck with your last 3k.

on

Californiagirl, what do you mean, my sleep pattern is old?
    It’s true I am old enough to have tried all the standard sleep hygiene advice many, many times, but my sleep pattern has changed so many times this year that I have lost count. Almost none of the standard advice is relevant to my problems.
    As for melatonin, I have done a lot of research and personal experimenting, and for me the effects of artificial light is minimal compared to the effects of what I eat or don’t eat. I could go into detail but I don’t think it would be of benefit to anyone posting on this thread atm. If anyone reading this DOES have problems which have not been addressed by the standard advice, feel free to say so, and if I have any relevant experience I will share it.

Verano, until recently I had that same problem, currently I typically manage to get two chunks of three hours with only a minimal break between them but the second time I wake I really can’t get back to sleep. Celery stew makes that into one 6 hour sleep.
    As it’s only sometimes, it is quite likely that your problem is diet or activity related, but activity is easy to correlate, so I presume you have ruled that out?
    When you say ‘lately’ is that since being on the 800? Are you going to bed hungry*? If it’s not that, then it’s a matter of figuring out what you have dropped or included that can affect sleep and correlates with bad/good nights. If you are keeping a diary of food, it could be useful to look back over previous days/weeks and see if you can spot anything. I could give you lists of good and bad foods, or if it is only since cutting down to 800, you might prefer to just stick it out to the end of the 8 weeks and then recuperate before doing another session.

(*Eating too much of an evening can also cause problems for some people, but I don’t think that’s really possible on 800 cals! 😉 )

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good day, everyone. There are some interesting subjects being
    discussed here today, i.e., bingo wings and sleep disorders. First
    though, great news Verano that you’ve become comfortable with
    the concept of 2 meals a day. I continue with 3, but fit them into
    a 6-7 hour window. I do find it quite easy to keep carbs under <20
    but you guys know I’m pretty hardcore on this, at least for myself!
    I, too, have had a sleep disorder for 18 years. I occurred following
    a diagnosis of Lyme disease. Although I have recovered from the
    disease, the sleep disorder persists. All the conventional modalities
    haven’t worked for me, but I completely agree with Californiagirl
    (Hi Julia, happy to see you on this thread!) regarding diet and the
    beneficial use of the supplement Melatonin. My sleep pattern
    is 2 hrs, awake for 1 1/2 hrs, then hopefully 2 hrs more. Taking
    melaton @ 1 hr before bed helps me tremendously in getting to
    sleep. I don’t think the purpose has anything to do with artificial
    light. Low levels of Vit. D during the winter months can have an
    impact on fatigue and sleep. Some people take supplements
    for it, but only after having a very simple blood test to determine
    what your levels are. 80% of people are deficient during the period
    Oct – April. For those of us who have been sleep deprived for
    decades, it’s worth investigating.
    There are many factors that contribute to how our skin ages.
    Diet, exercise and genetics are but a few. Across the board,
    collagen production, which decreases with age, is the accepted
    reason. The amount of weight loss, as well as the age at which
    we accomplish it, has a huge impact on where we end up, as well
    as the factors previously stated. Vitamin A is the most important
    nutrient in youthful skin, as well as hydration. Diet is key.
    I don’t really feel comfortable with taking it in pill form, so I make
    sure to include the foods highest in Vit. A in my daily diet. I’ve
    also discovered that it is necessary to eat vit A rich food with
    some fat for max absorption. Have a google for a list of “foods highest in vit A” for the daily recommended %. I don’t think
    that carrots are a special entity of and by themselves, but they ARE very high in Vit A. For any of you interested, have a google for
    “foods highest in Vit A” for a list. It might surprise you! Carrots
    aren’t a super food, but they are very high in Vit. A.
    At 146lbs lost, I do have bingo wings! I do some strength training
    with 5 lb weights, but I’m not interested in building muscle, just
    maintaining the lean muscle mass that I have. At the age of 69,
    this isn’t a vanity issue for me, but more about feeling fantastic.
    I can live with the “wings”, I just dress accordingly! 🙂

Have a great day, everyone. Keep on posting!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.